Made In L.A., The Paramount Strategy: ‘Clueless’ Series & Viola Davis’ ‘Ascent’ Among Recipients In Latest California TV Tax Credit Allocations
In a purely Made In Hollywood irony, one arm of the California government is helping Paramount’s legally challenged $111 billion acquisition of Warner Bros Discovery even as the state’s Attorney General leads an antitrust lawsuit to shut down David Ellison’s big dream.
As Deadline told you last week, Ellison could find some success for his MAGA-backed merger by a spreading the wealth locally with Los Angeles-based productions and jobs. On cue, the California Film Commission on Monday announced that the Alicia Silverstone-starring Clueless series and EGOT superstar Viola Davis’ corporate fixer series Ascent series have been allocated nearly $38 million in Golden State tax incentives.
Overall, in a move even the critical Spencer Pratt might applaud, Gavin Newsom’s now $750 million credits program handed out $145.5 million to nine series in the latest round of funding. Among the new shows on the list is Newlyweds, executive produced by Jamie Lee Curtis, along with new seasons of Sony TV’s S.W.A.T. Exiles, Universal’s David Boreanaz-led revival of The Rockford Files, and Netflix’s Love Come Softly. The latter streamer’s untitled Florida project, Disney’s untitled DET Project 51 and an untitled Amazon project also made the cut.
In all, the nine series will contribute $608 million in spending in the state over a total of over 1,000 film days, Sacramento accountants claim.

To put a finer point on the Paramount payout specifically, Clueless was awarded just more than $16.3 million in credits, and Ascent got $21 million. The two new Paramount series are estimated to employ more than 300 and 250 crew members, respectively, once they kick off in 2027. They are projected to respectively inject $69.4 million and $47 million into the L.A. economy via what the CFC called “qualified expenditures.”
All of which isn’t bad for a town where more than 40,000 jobs have been lost over the past few years, numerous industry-adjacent business and vendors have shuttered, empty soundstages are collecting dust, and production has fled overseas and out of state.
Here’s some more math for the nine named projects you can quote at parties, guild gatherings and board meetings:
- $608 million in direct production spending in California
- $498 million in qualified spend (inclusive of qualified wages)
- $291 million in qualified wages
- 3,000 cast and crew jobs
- 25,000 background performers (measured in days worked)
- 1,014 total California shooting days
“I am overwhelmingly excited about this journey with the great John Logan.” Ascent lead and EP Davis said today. “We won the lottery with this one!
Davis added: “Work in which both story and character are bold, awe inspiring and deeply unique is why I became an artist,” “Also, doing what I do is made greater or worse by being able to have the balance of my life as a mom. So, to be given the California Tax Credit is more than the ‘cherry on top;’ it’s a lifeline for me and a countless number of cast and crew. We at JuVee are deeply grateful to John Logan, Michael Aguilar, Paramount and the California Film Commission. We are ready to create magic!”
“I’m so grateful that Clueless gets to tell Cher’s next chapter in the city where her story began,” Silverstone said of the return of her character and the tale from the hit 1990s flick. “Los Angeles has been through so much over the past several years, but the city is resilient. When productions stay here, it supports thousands of artists, crew members, craftspeople, and small businesses who make this city what it is. Clueless belongs in Los Angeles. You simply can’t recreate this city anywhere else, and I’m excited to bring Cher home. The fact that it’s also my home and I will get to stay close to my son is an added gift.”
Which is another way of saying Chrismukkah came a bit early this year for some and for the industry.
Of course, with that, as CA AG Rob Bonta made clear in a guest column for Deadline, Paamount is still facing an antitrust trial next spring that could see the whole ParaBros dream disappear in a puff of judicial smoke.
‘And yes, we’ve been actively resisting tossing a TOLDJA! out there for old times’ sake.