father two relatives
| |

Father, two relatives held over newlywed’s deat…

KHANEWAL: The sudden death of a 25-year-old newlywed woman in Khanewal has taken a disturbing turn after police arrested her father and two relatives over allegations that she was strangled days after marrying a man of her choice.

The woman, identified as Iqra, died in Mehr Shah, an area falling within the jurisdiction of Sadar Khanewal Police Station. Police said her family initially attempted to present the death as an electrocution incident.

According to the police and the FIR, Iqra had married Sohail three days before her death despite opposition from her family. Her husband alleged that her father, angered by the marriage, brought her back from her in-laws’ home on the pretext of formally sending her off from her parental house.

Investigators allege that after bringing her home, Iqra was strangled with the assistance of her uncle and brother. Police are also examining claims that the family later staged the scene to make the death appear accidental.

The case has now triggered a formal murder investigation, with authorities focusing on the circumstances surrounding the young woman’s death.

Police arrested Iqra’s father, Falak Sher, and registered a case. Her body was shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital in Khanewal for a post-mortem examination, which is expected to help establish the exact cause of death.

Sadar police SHO Ramzan Gul said Falak Sher was in custody and that investigators were waiting for the post-mortem report before drawing final conclusions.

The officer said preliminary findings suggested that Iqra’s father could be the main suspect, while investigators were questioning other family members and examining the alleged strangulation and reported attempt to disguise the circumstances of her death.

Police said the investigation would proceed further once the medical findings are received. Until then, the allegations remain under investigation, while authorities continue to determine what happened to Iqra after she returned to her family home.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    PPP alleges polling irregularities during second p…

    ISLAMABAD: The second phase of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Legislative Assembly elections faced fresh controversy on Sunday after the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) alleged delays, administrative shortcomings and electoral irregularities in several constituencies. Meanwhile, the AJK Election Commission postponed polling in one constituency due to severe weather conditions. Polling continued in 21 constituencies, including nine seats in Muzaffarabad Division and 12 refugee constituencies across Pakistan. More than 1.2 million registered voters were eligible to cast their ballots under strict security arrangements. PPP AJK Election Cell In-charge Sardar Abdul Shakoor claimed that polling was delayed in several constituencies because polling staff failed to reach polling stations before voting began. He said dozens of polling stations remained without election officials at the scheduled opening time, causing inconvenience to voters and delaying the electoral process. According to the PPP, similar problems were reported in multiple constituencies where polling staff arrived late, preventing voters from exercising their right to vote on time. The party urged the Election Commission and local administration to ensure immediate deployment of staff and restore normal polling. Separately, the AJK Election Commission announced that polling in LA-27 Muzaffarabad-I had been postponed after heavy rainfall and landslides blocked key roads, making it impossible for polling teams and election material to reach several polling stations. Election authorities said efforts were made to reopen the affected routes, but worsening weather conditions prevented polling from taking place. The Commission said a new polling date would be announced later and apologised to voters for the inconvenience. The PPP questioned the decision to postpone polling across the entire constituency. Party leaders argued that if only certain polling stations were affected by landslides, polling should have continued in the remaining accessible areas. They called on the Election Commission to release a detailed report explaining the reasons behind the postponement. The party also alleged delays in additional constituencies, claiming that polling staff had not reached several stations even hours after voting officially began. It maintained that the delays affected voter participation and raised concerns over the smooth conduct of the election. PPP leaders further alleged that blocked roads prevented hundreds of voters from reaching polling stations. The party demanded the immediate reopening of affected routes and called for measures to ensure that voters could cast their ballots without obstruction. In another complaint, the PPP claimed that some of its polling agents were prevented from performing their duties at polling stations despite fulfilling legal requirements. The party urged election authorities to intervene and ensure equal treatment of all contesting candidates and their representatives. The PPP also accused rival political workers of violating election rules in certain constituencies and alleged that government employees were participating in election activities in violation of the code of conduct. The party demanded an immediate investigation and legal action wherever irregularities were confirmed. Separately, PPP leader Nadeem Afzal Chan criticised the conduct of the elections, describing reported delays in ballot paper distribution and administrative issues as unacceptable. He said the party wanted the electoral process to remain transparent and credible and warned that unresolved issues could undermine public confidence.

  • | |

    Pakistan discovers high-grade lithium in Khairpur

    Pakistan has taken a significant step toward joining the global lithium supply chain after the discovery of high-grade lithium in Sindh’s Khairpur district, a development that could pave the way for the country’s first domestic lithium industry and strengthen its ambitions in clean energy and advanced manufacturing. The breakthrough comes as the Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) signed a strategic agreement with the Pakistan Institute of Nuclear Science and Technology (PINSTECH) to develop technology capable of extracting lithium from geothermal brine on a commercial scale. The agreement follows the successful identification of high-quality lithium in water produced from a well in Khairpur, raising hopes that Pakistan could eventually reduce its dependence on imported battery materials while creating a new high-value industrial sector. Officials familiar with the project said the collaboration will focus on designing an efficient and commercially viable extraction process. If successful, the initiative could lay the foundation for a local lithium value chain, supporting industries involved in electric vehicle batteries, renewable energy storage systems, and other high-tech applications. The discovery is also expected to attract interest from investors looking to capitalize on the rapidly growing global demand for lithium, a critical mineral used in rechargeable batteries that power electric vehicles, smartphones, laptops, and grid-scale energy storage systems. In another major development, authorities have expanded lithium exploration across Sindh. Plans are underway to investigate eight to ten additional wells in search of further lithium-rich geothermal brine deposits, increasing the likelihood of identifying commercially viable reserves. Energy experts believe Pakistan’s emerging lithium potential could diversify the country’s mineral resources, generate export opportunities, and create skilled employment if exploration results continue to be positive and commercial production becomes feasible. While further scientific studies and economic assessments are still required before large-scale production begins, the Khairpur discovery marks a milestone in Pakistan’s pursuit of critical minerals. Industry observers say sustained investment in research, technology, and infrastructure will be essential to transform the discovery into a competitive domestic lithium industry capable of supporting the country’s long-term energy transition and industrial growth.

  • |

    Amitabh Bachchan playfully calls out Preity Zinta over wishes

    Preity Zinta found herself caught off guard when Amitabh Bachchan brought up a playful complaint during their much-awaited reunion on Kaun Banega Crorepati. The Kal Ho Naa Ho actress is set to appear on the popular quiz-based reality show after several years, joining veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan for a special episode. The upcoming episode has already generated excitement among fans, particularly because it brings together some of Bollywood’s biggest stars. In a newly released promo, Bachchan can be seen telling Preity that he has a major complaint against her. The legendary actor reminded the actress that he wishes her every year on her birthday, January 31, but claimed that she has never responded to his wishes. “I have a huge complaint with you. I wish you on your birthday on January 31 every year, and you didn’t even respond to me once,” Amitabh tells Preity in the promo. The unexpected remark left the actress seemingly surprised, creating a lighthearted moment between the two stars. While Bachchan’s complaint appeared to be playful, it also brought back memories of a similar interaction involving the actors. Amitabh had previously raised the same amusing grievance when Preity Zinta appeared on Kaun Banega Crorepati alongside Sunny Deol. At the time, the actors were on the show to promote their historical drama Batwara 1947. During their appearance, Bachchan once again brought up his birthday wishes to Preity, turning the conversation into a humorous exchange. The latest promo has sparked curiosity among viewers about how Preity will respond to the veteran actor’s latest complaint. While some fans have jokingly speculated about a possible issue between the two stars, the interaction appears to be more of a friendly and playful exchange between longtime industry colleagues. The upcoming episode will also feature Sunny Deol making his debut on the Kaun Banega Crorepati hot seat. Preity and Aamir Khan will join him as special guests for the grand premiere of the new season. Aamir also adds to the fun during the episode when he questions Amitabh about a line from the show’s promotional campaign. Referring to Bachchan’s use of the phrase “Sochna Padega,” Aamir asks what exactly contestants need to think about. Amitabh responds with a trademark smirk, telling Aamir that the game will not be easy because contestants genuinely have to think before answering. The new season marks the 18th instalment of Kaun Banega Crorepati. The much-awaited season is scheduled to premiere on Monday, August 10, at 9 PM on Sony Entertainment Television and SonyLIV. With Amitabh’s witty exchanges, Preity’s return to the show and appearances by Sunny Deol and Aamir Khan, the premiere episode is expected to offer plenty of entertaining moments for viewers.

  • |

    TikTok star Cesar Gastelum shot dead during livestream in Mexico

    Mexican social media influencer Cesar Gastelum was shot and killed while livestreaming in Culiacan. The city sits in the northwestern state of Sinaloa, a region long troubled by unrest. Gastelum had built a following of nearly 600,000 people on TikTok. He was known mainly for his comedy content and light-hearted videos. At the time of the attack, he was streaming live outside a fast-food restaurant with friends. Footage from the livestream showed two helmeted individuals approaching on a motorcycle. The driver reportedly opened fire directly at Gastelum during the broadcast. The attack unfolded in real time as viewers watched the stream online. A security official in Sinaloa confirmed Gastelum’s death shortly after the incident. Authorities said a major security operation was launched in response. Details about a possible motive have not yet been released publicly. According to Reuters, the killing adds to a pattern of violence in the region. Culiacan, the state capital, has seen ongoing clashes between rival criminal groups. These factions have been fighting for territorial control across the city for some time. Sinaloa has repeatedly made headlines in recent years over organised crime activity. The state is widely associated with one of Mexico’s most powerful drug cartels. Public killings and targeted attacks have periodically disrupted daily life in the region. The incident has drawn comparisons to another high-profile case from last year. In May 2025, Mexican beauty influencer Valeria Marquez was killed in a similar way. She was shot while livestreaming from a salon in Zapopan, Jalisco. Marquez, who was 23 at the time, was killed after a man entered the salon. Prosecutors said he opened fire before fleeing the scene afterward. Her case was later investigated using femicide protocols by local authorities. Both cases have renewed concern over the safety risks facing content creators in Mexico. Livestreaming has increasingly placed influencers in vulnerable, exposed situations during public appearances. Digital rights groups have previously called for stronger protections for online creators. Authorities have not indicated whether the two cases are connected in any way. Investigations into Gastelum’s death remain ongoing as officials gather further information. No arrests have been announced at this time.

  • |

    Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega proposes extending presidential terms to seven years

    Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega has submitted a proposed constitutional reform to the country’s government-controlled National Assembly that would extend presidential terms from six to seven years. The legislative body is expected to formally approve the changes in September, further cementing the rule of the 80-year-old leader, who has governed the Central American nation continuously since 2007. The proposed constitutional overhaul also includes explicit provisions to disqualify opposition figures whom the regime labels as “traitors” or “coup plotters” from seeking public office. The move follows previous constitutional amendments passed by the assembly, including the elimination of presidential term limits in 2014 and the extension of terms from five to six years in 2024. That same year, the legislature formally designated Ortega’s wife and vice-president, Rosario Murillo, as “co-president”, establishing a direct path of succession in the event of Ortega’s permanent absence. Human rights organisations and international bodies, including the United Nations, continue to raise alarms over the steady dismantling of democratic institutions in Nicaragua. Following anti-government protests in 2018 that resulted in more than 300 deaths at the hands of security forces, the regime carried out widespread arrests ahead of the November 2021 presidential election. Dozens of potential opposition candidates were detained, forced into exile, or stripped of their Nicaraguan citizenship and property, leaving Ortega to secure re-election without viable political competition.

  • | |

    President Erdoğan arrives in Saudi Arabia for tri…

    President of Türkiye Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has arrived in Saudi Arabia to participate in the high-level trilateral summit. President Erdoğan received a warm welcome upon his arrival at Jeddah Airport, with ceremonial scenes reflecting the significance of the visit. The summit is expected to focus on strengthening regional cooperation, enhancing diplomatic engagement, and advancing shared strategic interests amid evolving geopolitical developments in the Middle East. Earlier, Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif was received by Saudi Crown Prince and Prime Minister Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud at Al-Safa Palace in Makkah on Friday, where the two leaders commenced high-level bilateral talks aimed at further strengthening Pakistan-Saudi Arabia strategic ties. The Prime Minister is accompanied by Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Senator Mohammad Ishaq Dar, Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defence Forces, and Defence Minister Khawaja Muhammad Asif.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *