neymar announces emotional
| |

Neymar announces emotional retirement from international football 

 

Brazilian football icon Neymar has officially announced his retirement from international football, bringing an end to one of the most celebrated careers in the history of the Brazil national team. The 34-year-old forward made the emotional announcement after Brazil’s disappointing elimination from the FIFA World Cup, saying he no longer intends to represent his country at the international level.

Speaking to reporters after Santos secured a 4-2 victory over Venezuelan side UCV in the Copa Sudamericana on Tuesday, Neymar reflected on his journey with the national team and admitted that the time had come to move on.

“My time with the national team is over. I made history, I was very happy, and I gave my blood and my life for Brazil. But now, I don’t want it anymore,” Neymar said, struggling to hold back tears as he addressed the media.

Brazil’s World Cup campaign ended in heartbreak following a 2-1 defeat to Norway in the Round of 16. Neymar scored Brazil’s only goal from the penalty spot, but it was not enough to prevent the five-time world champions from crashing out of the tournament earlier than expected. After the final whistle, the veteran forward emotionally confirmed that his international career had come to an end, saying simply, “It ends here.”

The tournament marked Neymar’s return to the Brazil squad after an absence of nearly three years. Despite his reputation and experience, he featured for only 37 minutes across two World Cup matches, as the coaching staff carefully managed his playing time. Although his comeback generated excitement among supporters, Brazil’s early exit prevented him from making a greater impact on the competition.

Neymar leaves international football as Brazil’s all-time leading goalscorer and one of the country’s greatest-ever players. Throughout his career with the national team, he played a central role in numerous international tournaments, producing memorable performances and becoming one of the most recognizable figures in world football. His technical brilliance, creativity, and ability to score spectacular goals earned him admiration from fans across the globe.

While his chapter with Brazil has come to a close, Neymar’s club career continues. He remains under contract with Santos until the end of the year as the Brazilian club battles to avoid relegation. Since returning to his boyhood club, Neymar has shown flashes of the quality that made him one of football’s biggest stars.

Earlier this month, he scored twice in his first match back for Santos, delivering an impressive performance in response to criticism surrounding his recent off-field activities. Following one of his goals, Neymar celebrated with a card-dealing gesture, a light-hearted reference to the backlash he received after participating in a poker tournament while Santos were playing an away Copa Sudamericana fixture in Venezuela.

For Tuesday’s second-leg clash against UCV, Neymar began the match on the substitutes’ bench. Even without him in the starting lineup, Santos produced a confident display and recorded a 4-2 victory to comfortably book their place in the Copa Sudamericana Round of 16.

Although Neymar’s international career has ended on a disappointing note, his achievements with Brazil have secured his place among the nation’s football legends. His legacy will be remembered for his record-breaking goals, unforgettable performances, and his lasting influence on Brazilian football.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Pakistan highlights mediation role at New York I-d…

    Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts to promote peace and stability, including its role in mediating during the recent US-Iran tensions, were highlighted at an Independence Day ceremony held at Pakistan House in New York. Speaking at the event, Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad, said Pakistan had consistently sought peaceful solutions amid growing international instability and conflicts. He urged renewed commitment to the country’s founding principles, sovereignty, security, peace and socio-economic progress. The ambassador paid tribute to Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, describing him as a visionary statesman whose leadership led to the creation of Pakistan. Reflecting on the country’s journey since independence, he praised the resilience and achievements of Pakistanis despite significant challenges. Ahmad also commended the armed forces for their sacrifices in defending the country and protecting its people, while recognising the achievements of Pakistanis abroad in fields ranging from innovation and sports to the arts. He reaffirmed Pakistan’s diplomatic and political support for the people of Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir and for the rights of Palestinians. He also stressed the importance of combating terrorism while advancing economic development and national progress. Consul General Aamer Ahmad Atozai also paid tribute to the leaders and workers of the Pakistan Movement, emphasising that freedom carries both a legacy and a responsibility. He highlighted the Pakistani-American community’s contributions through investment, remittances, philanthropy and expertise, describing it as an important bridge between Pakistan and the United States. The ceremony featured the hoisting of the Pakistani flag and the national anthem, while messages from Pakistan’s leadership were also read out. Addressing children at the gathering, Ambassador Ahmad described them as the country’s future and called for collective efforts to build a peaceful, prosperous and inclusive Pakistan. The event concluded with calls for greater national unity and continued commitment to peace, diplomacy and Pakistan’s progress on the global stage.

  • |

    Poland’s main opposition party splits following loyalty pledge ultimatum

    Poland’s main opposition Law and Justice (PiS) party has fractured following a severe internal dispute over its political strategy, with former Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki and dozens of his allies breaking ranks with longtime leader Jarosław Kaczyński. The split occurred after Kaczyński issued an ultimatum demanding all PiS lawmakers sign a strict loyalty oath committing them not to collaborate with outside political groups. Dozens of parliamentarians, led by Morawiecki, refused to sign the pledge before the deadline, leading Kaczyński to declare that those who abstained had effectively resigned from the party. The former prime minister confirmed that his faction includes 40 members of parliament, three members of the European Parliament, and one senator, though he maintained that his group sought to preserve unity while broadening the right-wing electoral base toward younger, centre-right voters. The division threatens PiS’s status as the largest party in the Polish parliament, a position it held despite losing power to Donald Tusk’s pro-European coalition in 2023. As the conservative vote increasingly fragments across competing factions ahead of the 2027 parliamentary elections, the formal expulsion of the dissident lawmakers is scheduled to be processed at a party leadership meeting.

  • |

    Cambridge to review hiring after Arday resignation

    The University of Cambridge has announced a review of its procedures for appointing senior academics following the resignation of Professor Jason Arday amid allegations of plagiarism and questions surrounding parts of his academic record. Cambridge said an ongoing investigation into Arday’s qualifications, previous appointments and tenure would inform the wider review of how senior academic positions are filled. Arday, a professor of sociology of education and fellow of Jesus College, stepped down after allegations emerged concerning his academic work and claims made about his professional background. He has rejected accusations of deliberate plagiarism and denied fabricating his achievements. The controversy has prompted calls from academics for an independent investigation into how Arday was appointed to a senior position at one of the world’s most prestigious universities. Priyamvada Gopal, a Cambridge professor who is among those calling for an independent inquiry, said the controversy had caused significant reputational damage to the university. She argued that Cambridge should not investigate itself and urged the involvement of academics from outside the institution. Cambridge said it was aware of the concerns surrounding the case and would continue examining the circumstances of Arday’s appointment and tenure. Jesus College welcomed the university’s decision to review its appointment procedures. The college said Arday’s position as a fellow depended on his university appointment and that it relied on Cambridge to verify academic credentials. The University of Glasgow, where Arday served as Professor of Sociology of Education from January 2022 to March 2023, has also launched its own review. The university said the review would establish the facts surrounding his appointment and identify lessons for the future. The controversy began after US researcher Nathan Cofnas raised allegations that sections of Arday’s PhD dissertation had been copied from earlier academic works. Liverpool John Moores University, which awarded Arday his doctorate, said it had investigated the plagiarism allegations last year and rejected them. The university maintained that position and said his PhD remains valid. Further questions have since been raised about some of Arday’s academic publications and claims on his CV. Some institutions where he reportedly claimed to have held academic positions have denied that he occupied those roles. Arday has acknowledged errors in his academic work but denied intentionally plagiarising material. He has suggested that autism and inadequate supervision during the early stages of his academic career may have contributed to mistakes. He has also rejected allegations that he fabricated his personal achievements and has previously argued that some of the criticism directed at him was racially motivated. The controversy has also raised questions about how allegations against Arday were handled. Times Higher Education reporter Jack Grove was investigated by the Metropolitan Police following a complaint of harassment after he contacted Arday about the plagiarism allegations. The investigation was later closed. Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley subsequently apologised and said the complaint should have been screened out at an earlier stage. Attention has also turned to Arday’s forthcoming memoir, “Great and Unfortunate Things”, which is scheduled for publication next week. Arday previously claimed in an interview that he had received a £1.4 million advance for the memoir, although he did not specify the currency. Publishing industry figures have questioned the size of the alleged payment. Publisher Simon & Schuster has said it intends to proceed with publication. Reports have also identified differences between an earlier proposal for the memoir and the final manuscript, including changes to the timing and description of some events in Arday’s life.

  • FIFA chief Infantino faces mounting backlash 

      FIFA president Gianni Infantino is facing growing criticism over his controversial proposal to sell stakes in the governing body’s competitions to private investors, with opposition continuing to build from football officials, regional confederations and political figures. The latest criticism came from FIFA’s own chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, who issued a strongly worded statement questioning the proposal and calling on football leaders worldwide to carefully reconsider the direction of the organisation. Lamour described the initiative as “the project of one person,” suggesting it lacked broad institutional support. He also claimed that FIFA’s administration had been “deceived” regarding the proposal, adding that the time had come for football’s political leaders to ask difficult questions and make responsible decisions for the future of the sport. Although Lamour did not mention Infantino by name, his remarks were widely seen as a direct challenge to the FIFA president’s leadership. He stressed that the organisation’s employees remain committed to serving football rather than advancing the interests of any individual. “Our mission is to serve football,” Lamour said, adding that a FIFA president should unite people and inspire confidence rather than create division. He also acknowledged that speaking out could cost him his position but insisted he was prepared to accept the consequences in order to remain true to his principles. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he said, adding that he would rather stand by his values than remain silent. The controversy intensified as the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) became the third continental governing body to publicly oppose the proposal. In a statement, the AFC expressed solidarity with UEFA and Concacaf, arguing that the plan lacks the broad consensus necessary for such a significant change to world football. The AFC warned that the FIFA World Cup derives its strength from the participation of all confederations and football nations, saying any proposal that threatens the tournament’s unity and universal character should be reconsidered. Further pressure emerged when Carlos Cordeiro, one of Infantino’s senior advisers on global strategy and governance, announced his resignation. Cordeiro described the proposal as “a bad deal for football,” warning that it could mortgage the sport’s future by placing excessive commercial interests ahead of the game’s long-term stability.   Political criticism has also followed. Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham condemned the proposal, calling it an “outrageous suggestion” and arguing that the plan demonstrated why Infantino was no longer the right person to lead world football’s governing body.   Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said he had not discussed the proposal with Infantino despite their close relationship since Trump’s return to office in 2025.   The growing opposition could ultimately prove decisive if the proposal is put before FIFA’s 211 member associations. Infantino has indicated that a simple majority of 106 votes would be required for approval.   However, UEFA’s 55 members, Concacaf’s 35 associations and the AFC’s 46 members account for a combined 136 votes. If those member associations follow the positions taken by their respective confederations, the proposal would almost certainly fail to secure enough support. With resistance continuing to spread across the football world, Infantino now faces one of the biggest leadership challenges of his presidency, as critics argue that any major reform must be built on transparency, consultation and the collective interests of the global game.

  • | | |

    Pattaya City Holds Meeting on Preparations for Pattaya Marathon 2026 Next Month, Discusses Traffic Preparations and Road Closures

    PATTAYA, Thailand – August 10th, 2026 In the afternoon of August 10th, 2026, at Meeting Room 131 of Pattaya City Hall, Deputy Mayors of Pattaya City Mr. Kritsana Boonsawat and Mr. Manoch Nongyai headed a joint meeting with city executives and heads of government departments, led by Permanent Secretary of Pattaya City Mr. Kiatisak Sriwongchai, […]

  • |

    Trump’s former lawyer Todd Blanche confirmed as US attorney general

    Todd Blanche, a former personal attorney to US President Donald Trump, has been confirmed as the country’s attorney general after a closely contested Senate vote. Blanche secured confirmation by 50 votes to 49, with Republican Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski joining Democrats in opposing his nomination. Senator Bill Cassidy provided the crucial Republican vote in Blanche’s favour after saying he believed Blanche was the strongest candidate Trump was likely to nominate. The vote ended a prolonged dispute between the Trump administration and Senate Republicans over Blanche’s appointment. He had been serving as acting attorney general since April, after Pam Bondi was removed from the position. All Senate Democrats voted against Blanche’s confirmation. Several Republican lawmakers had questioned Blanche’s record and raised concerns about his involvement in a number of controversial matters. Among them was his handling of documents related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and his role in developing Trump’s proposed $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund. The proposed fund was intended to compensate people who claimed they had been politically targeted or persecuted by the government. However, critics, including Murkowski, warned that the scheme could potentially benefit people prosecuted for their involvement in the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol. During his confirmation process, Blanche promised to abandon the proposed fund following opposition from Republican senators. Questions remain over whether that commitment would prevent the administration from introducing a similar programme under a different structure in the future. Murkowski said she opposed Blanche because she lacked confidence that he would be willing to challenge what she described as the administration’s worst impulses. She also expressed concern about the increasing politicisation of the Justice Department. Collins raised separate concerns over Blanche’s involvement in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service. Despite those reservations, she ultimately did not support his confirmation. Cassidy, meanwhile, said he trusted Blanche to provide Trump with independent and candid legal advice. He acknowledged that the president ultimately determines the direction of the Justice Department but argued that Senate confirmation would give Blanche greater authority to advise the administration and push back when necessary. Cassidy also said he did not want political disagreements to prevent the Justice Department from carrying out its responsibilities, particularly in combating violent crime. Blanche’s confirmation marks a significant development for the Trump administration, given his previous role as Trump’s personal lawyer. He was serving as deputy attorney general when he assumed the department’s temporary leadership in April.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *