stephen curry 8216wants
|

Stephen Curry ‘wants to finish his career as a Warrior,’ says GM

The Golden State Warriors and superstar guard Stephen Curry plan to extend their marriage until the two-time NBA MVP retires, team general manager Mike Dunleavy reiterated on Tuesday, August 11 (Wednesday, August 12, Manila time).

Both sides have previously expressed interest in Curry finishing his career in San Francisco, and little has changed to indicate either party has had a change of heart.

Yet Curry is entering the final year of an expiring contract that will pay him $62.5 million, creating more wiggle room for both sides, should a departure be wanted.

Dunleavy told reporters that Curry has gained the right to leave on his own terms, but also that Curry would be welcomed back and that the player continues to express strong interest in doing so.

“(Staying has) always been the message,” Dunleavy said. “That’s always been what he’s discussed. I think that’s tracking quite well.

“Look, if he comes to me and wants to be moved, (controlling owner) Joe (Lacob) and I will talk it through. We wouldn’t love it. But he’s earned the right to do what he wants. But as far as the messaging or any idea that he’d be anywhere else, that’s not a thing we’re looking at or he’s looking at.”

A 17-year veteran, all with the Warriors, Curry has said he’d like to play another couple of seasons, though wear and tear could become a concern. After appearing in at least 70 games in back-to-back seasons, Curry battled injuries in 2025-26 to finish with just 41 starts.

The Warriors and Curry could reach an agreement on an extension after August 29, when he becomes eligible for up to two years and an additional $136.7 million.

The 11-time All-NBA player celebrated his 38th birthday on March 14.

“There’s two things I’m confident about with Steph,” Dunleavy added. “He really, really wants to win and he wants to finish his career as a Warrior. I don’t think that changes tomorrow, August 29, start of the season, middle of the season, end of next season. Those things are going to be consistent.”

The Warriors were 37-45 last season. – Rappler.com

Similar Posts

  • |

    Infantino’s future in doubt after FIFA rights controversy

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino is facing growing criticism after abandoning a controversial proposal to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the FIFA World Cup, a move that has raised questions about his leadership and decision-making within world football’s governing body. The proposal sparked strong opposition from several football organizations, particularly regional confederations and professional leagues, who argued that such a major commercial decision should not have been pursued without broader consultation. Critics believe the plan exposed concerns over transparency and governance at FIFA. Claudius Schaefer, the chairman of the organization representing 53 professional men’s and women’s football leagues across Europe and the chief executive of the Swiss Football League, said the handling of the proposal had seriously damaged confidence in FIFA’s leadership. According to Schaefer, the situation would have significant consequences in most organizations, especially when a senior executive advances a major business initiative without informing or involving key governing bodies. He suggested that the controversy has left Infantino’s position under increased scrutiny. The proposal was officially withdrawn after widespread resistance from football stakeholders. The decision came following criticism from various regional football confederations, with UEFA and CONCACAF publicly expressing that they had lost confidence in Infantino’s leadership after the episode. Schaefer argued that the failed proposal reflected a broader concern about FIFA’s priorities. He said the organization appeared increasingly focused on generating greater commercial revenue rather than protecting the long-term interests of football competitions, players, clubs, and domestic leagues. He also warned that expanding commercial opportunities could encourage FIFA to create even larger tournaments and increase the number of international matches. Such developments, he said, would place additional pressure on an already crowded football calendar. Professional leagues have repeatedly voiced concerns over fixture congestion, arguing that players are being asked to participate in too many matches throughout the season. Domestic competitions, they say, often bear the consequences when international tournaments continue to expand. Schaefer emphasized that national leagues remain the foundation of professional football and should not be weakened by decisions aimed primarily at increasing commercial returns. He argued that any future reforms to international competitions must balance financial objectives with the welfare of players and the health of domestic football. Another major point of criticism centered on FIFA’s decision-making process. Schaefer claimed that even members of the FIFA Council—the organization’s highest decision-making body—were reportedly unaware of the proposal before it became public. He described this lack of consultation as surprising and said it raised serious concerns about governance within FIFA. The controversy has intensified calls for greater transparency and accountability in football administration. Many stakeholders believe decisions involving the commercial future of the World Cup should involve extensive discussion with FIFA’s governing bodies, member associations, leagues, and other key partners before being considered. Although FIFA has now withdrawn the proposal, the fallout continues to fuel debate over leadership, governance, and the future direction of world football. With criticism coming from influential football organizations across different regions, pressure remains on Infantino to rebuild trust and demonstrate a more inclusive approach to decision-making on matters affecting the global game.

  • Aston Villa Brings Europa League Magic to Thailand: Epic Clash Against BG Pathum United

    BANGKOK – Aston Villa faces Thai club BG Pathum United in an exciting pre-season friendly tonight, August 4, 2026. The match kicks off at the True BG Stadium in Pathum Thani as part of Villa’s Asia Tour. This game helps the English Premier League side prepare for the new season while giving Thai fans a […]

  • |

    PCB unveils major domestic cricket overhaul ahead of ODI World Cup

    LAHORE: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has announced a significant revamp of its 2026–27 domestic cricket season, introducing structural changes aimed at strengthening competition and preparing players for the upcoming ICC Men’s ODI World Cup. The new domestic calendar places greater emphasis on high-quality white-ball cricket while also reshaping Pakistan’s premier first-class competition to improve competitiveness across all formats. According to the PCB, the season will begin on August 11 in Multan with the National Champions Cup, a four-team one-day tournament. Squads for the competition will be selected by the national selection committee, providing emerging players with an opportunity to impress in the 50-over format ahead of the global tournament. The board has also confirmed that the domestic season will feature two List A competitions. Following the National Champions Cup, teams will compete in the President’s Cup, giving players additional match practice and selectors a broader pool of performances to evaluate before international assignments. One of the biggest changes announced is the expansion of regional participation. The number of regional teams has increased from 18 to 20, with Sialkot and Peshawar each receiving permission to field a second team. PCB officials believe the move will create more opportunities for talented cricketers across the country and deepen the domestic talent pipeline. In another landmark decision, the prestigious Quaid-e-Azam Trophy has been divided into Gold and Silver Divisions for the first time in the tournament’s history. The Gold Division will feature the country’s eight strongest teams, while the Silver Division will include 12 teams competing for promotion and a chance to challenge the top sides. Both divisions are scheduled to begin on November 1, with the new format designed to increase the quality and intensity of first-class cricket. The domestic campaign will conclude with the National T20 Cup, scheduled for February and March, ensuring players receive competitive exposure in all three major formats before the international season intensifies. PCB officials said the revised structure reflects the board’s long-term strategy of producing better-prepared cricketers capable of succeeding at the highest level. By increasing meaningful competition, expanding opportunities for regional teams, and aligning domestic cricket with international priorities, the board hopes to strengthen Pakistan’s player development pathway. Cricket analysts have welcomed the changes, saying the new format could raise the standard of domestic cricket while helping selectors identify consistent performers ahead of major international tournaments, including the 2027 ODI World Cup.

  • |

    Joe Root returns as England Test captain, Fleming takes coaching charge

    England have made major changes to their Test setup, appointing Joe Root as captain for a second stint and naming former New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming as head coach. The decisions come after Brendon McCullum was removed from the Test coaching role and Ben Stokes stepped away from international cricket earlier this month. Root, 35, previously led England in 64 Test matches between 2017 and 2022. He briefly returned to captaincy during the recent series against New Zealand and has now been given the responsibility of guiding England’s next generation of Test players. The Yorkshire batter is among the greatest run-scorers in Test history, sitting second on the all-time list behind India legend Sachin Tendulkar with more than 14,000 runs. Expressing his delight at the appointment, Root said leading England in Test cricket remains a great honour and challenge. He added that he is excited to work with the team and help develop emerging talent. Root also praised Fleming, describing him as an outstanding leader with deep knowledge of the game. Fleming, who enjoyed a successful coaching career with Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League, has been appointed to lead England’s Test side. Under his guidance, Chennai won five IPL titles, making him one of the most respected coaches in world cricket. The 53-year-old said his focus would be on immediate success while also building a strong foundation for England’s long-term future. He expressed excitement about working with Root and helping him succeed in his second spell as captain. England’s next Test assignment will be a three-match series against Pakistan, starting on August 19. Marcus Trescothick will handle coaching duties on an interim basis before Fleming officially takes charge later this year. England men’s cricket managing director Rob Key praised Fleming’s appointment, saying he has the experience and leadership qualities needed to turn England’s promising squad into a world-class team.

  • Tennis, WTA makes genetic sex testing mandatory for women’s events

    The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has introduced a new eligibility policy requiring all players to undergo a one-time genetic sex test before competing in professional women’s tennis events. According to British media reports, the new policy requires players to provide a cheek swab, blood sample or saliva sample to test for the presence of the SRY gene which is linked to the Y chromosome and plays a key role in the development of male biological characteristics. Only players whose tests do not detect the SRY gene will be eligible to compete on the WTA Tour. If the test result is positive, further medical evaluation will be conducted. Under the new policy, players must also sign a document acknowledging the rules. Refusing to undergo the test could result in disciplinary action. Previously, under the WTA’s 2024 policy, transgender women were allowed to compete in women’s events if they maintained testosterone levels below the specified limit. The WTA said the updated policy is intended to ensure fair competition and equal opportunities in women’s tennis while treating all players with respect and dignity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *