joe root returns
|

Joe Root returns as England Test captain, Fleming takes coaching charge

England have made major changes to their Test setup, appointing Joe Root as captain for a second stint and naming former New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming as head coach.

The decisions come after Brendon McCullum was removed from the Test coaching role and Ben Stokes stepped away from international cricket earlier this month.

Root, 35, previously led England in 64 Test matches between 2017 and 2022. He briefly returned to captaincy during the recent series against New Zealand and has now been given the responsibility of guiding England’s next generation of Test players.

The Yorkshire batter is among the greatest run-scorers in Test history, sitting second on the all-time list behind India legend Sachin Tendulkar with more than 14,000 runs.

Expressing his delight at the appointment, Root said leading England in Test cricket remains a great honour and challenge. He added that he is excited to work with the team and help develop emerging talent.

Root also praised Fleming, describing him as an outstanding leader with deep knowledge of the game.

Fleming, who enjoyed a successful coaching career with Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League, has been appointed to lead England’s Test side. Under his guidance, Chennai won five IPL titles, making him one of the most respected coaches in world cricket.

The 53-year-old said his focus would be on immediate success while also building a strong foundation for England’s long-term future. He expressed excitement about working with Root and helping him succeed in his second spell as captain.

England’s next Test assignment will be a three-match series against Pakistan, starting on August 19. Marcus Trescothick will handle coaching duties on an interim basis before Fleming officially takes charge later this year.

England men’s cricket managing director Rob Key praised Fleming’s appointment, saying he has the experience and leadership qualities needed to turn England’s promising squad into a world-class team.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Travis Barker reveals what led to his divorce from…

    Travis Barker has opened up about his brief first marriage to Melissa Kennedy, offering a glimpse into the personal choices that contributed to their relationship ending. The Blink-182 drummer married Kennedy in 2001, but their marriage lasted only about nine months before he filed for divorce in August 2002. (Wikipedia⁠) While little is publicly known about Kennedy or the couple’s relationship, Barker has discussed the marriage in his 2015 memoir, Can I Say. His comments suggest that he entered married life while still struggling with a strong desire for attention from other women. Barker acknowledged that he was “constantly looking for other girls” even before marrying Kennedy. He also admitted that his behavior extended to his bachelor party, when he was still thinking about other women despite preparing to get married. (HELLO!⁠) Those revelations provide important context for the short-lived relationship. Although Barker has not publicly described one specific incident as the official reason for their divorce, his own reflections point to his behavior and mindset at the time as major factors in the marriage’s failure. The timing of the split also came during a major period in Barker’s career. Blink-182 was enjoying enormous success after the release of its 2001 album Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, while Barker was becoming increasingly recognized as one of the band’s standout members. His professional life was moving quickly, and his personal life was changing just as rapidly. Barker and Kennedy officially went their separate ways in August 2002. The drummer later moved on with actress and model Shanna Moakler, whom he married in 2004. Their relationship became much more public through MTV’s Meet the Barkers, and the couple welcomed two children together. (Wikipedia⁠) Looking back, Barker’s comments about Kennedy show how different his life and relationships were in his younger years. His memoir did not simply revisit the end of the marriage; it also acknowledged some of his own mistakes. Today, Barker is married to Kourtney Kardashian Barker. The couple, who married in 2022, have spoken openly about communication and accountability as important parts of maintaining their relationship. (People.com⁠) His reflections on his first marriage therefore offer a rare look at the musician’s past and the lessons he appears to have carried into his later relationships.

  • |

    US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to complete nationwide body-camera rollout by late August

    US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has confirmed that its nationwide distribution of body-worn cameras to all field officers and agents is moving ahead of schedule, with deployment set to wrap up by the end of August. Acting Director David Venturella announced the accelerated timetable amidst intense public and congressional scrutiny following recent fatal enforcement encounters. Public outrage mounted after lethal shootings during traffic stops in Maine and Texas, as well as the fatal shooting of two US citizens during an immigration crackdown in Minnesota. In response to the incidents, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem previously stated that the camera programme would expand nationwide as funding allowed, while border czar Tom Homan directed that officers record vehicle stops using at least one body camera. Under current internal policies, ICE permits expedited footage releases following incidents involving severe injury or death in custody. However, the agency retains broad authority to withhold recordings to safeguard active investigations or personal privacy. Transparency advocates and legal scholars have criticised the framework, arguing that granting agency leadership discretionary power to block or delay footage releases risks shielding federal operations from meaningful public oversight.

  • |

    Samsung chip profit soars 250-fold as AI supply deals pile up

    Samsung Electronics stunned markets on Thursday with news that its chip division’s profit had surged more than 250-fold. Alongside the results, the company revealed fresh multi-year supply agreements with major data center operators. It also warned that global chip shortages are likely to worsen and could persist well into 2028. That bold forecast, however, was not enough to calm investor nerves. Concerns remain high over the enormous sums tech firms are pouring into AI infrastructure. Samsung’s shares rose as much as 8.4 percent during trading before closing 0.7 percent lower. Even with that dip, the stock outperformed rival SK Hynix, which closed down a sharper 5.6 percent the same day. Kim Seok-hwan, a market analyst at Mirae Asset Securities, said sentiment around chipmakers has shifted. Investors, he noted, are increasingly unsure how long today’s unusually high profit margins can be maintained. This comes right after Samsung’s chip business posted a record-breaking 70 percent operating profit margin. Samsung revealed it has already struck supply agreements with the five biggest data center companies globally. The firm added that it is close to finalizing deals with five more major players, though it did not name them. Jaejune Kim, executive vice president of Samsung’s memory division, told analysts that nearly every client is now asking for long-term, multi-year contracts instead of short-term arrangements. According to Kim, Samsung wants roughly two-thirds of its memory output locked into long-term supply deals. This approach echoes similar moves by SK Hynix, both aiming to shield themselves from the industry’s usual boom-and-bust swings. These new contracts generally span at least five years and often include upfront payments along with guaranteed floor prices, helping companies manage the financial risk tied to heavy capital spending. This announcement follows several rough months for chip stocks, driven largely by investor unease over ballooning AI infrastructure costs and rising competitive pressure from Chinese chipmakers. Both factors have raised doubts about how sustainable current earnings levels really are. Adding to that unease, Meta Platforms disclosed a steep 91 percent drop in its second-quarter free cash flow on Wednesday. That followed an even more striking development from Alphabet the week before, which reported its first-ever quarter with negative cash flow. Together, these results have intensified questions across the industry about whether the current pace of AI spending can hold up much longer without straining company finances.

  • | | |

    Indian cargo ship sinks after suspected attack nea…

    An Indian cargo ship sank in the Red Sea after suffering severe damage in a suspected maritime attack near Yemen’s western coast. The incident, which reportedly involved an explosive-laden boat or unidentified projectile, caused a powerful explosion and fire aboard the vessel before it eventually went down despite rescue efforts. According to international media reports, the cargo ship sustained extensive damage following the blast. Several crew members were injured during the incident, but no fatalities have been reported. The crew immediately initiated emergency procedures and alerted nearby maritime authorities, who responded with rescue operations. Authorities attempted to secure and tow the damaged vessel to a safe location. However, the ship’s condition deteriorated, and it eventually sank in the Red Sea. Medical assistance was provided to injured crew members, while rescue teams ensured the safe evacuation of everyone on board. India’s Ministry of External Affairs stated that the vessel was struck by an unidentified projectile, confirming that the cargo ship later sank. The ministry added that all crew members were safely rescued and no loss of life occurred. As of now, no group has officially claimed responsibility for the attack. However, the incident comes amid heightened security concerns in the Red Sea, where commercial shipping has faced repeated threats in recent months. Several previous attacks on merchant vessels in the region have been claimed by the Iran-backed Houthi movement, although no evidence has yet linked this specific incident to any particular group. The Red Sea has become one of the world’s most sensitive maritime routes due to ongoing regional tensions. Commercial vessels transiting the area have encountered increased security risks, prompting many shipping companies to strengthen safety measures or alter their routes. Recent months have also seen warnings and threats against ships passing through the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a strategic waterway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. Disruptions in this corridor can have significant consequences for global trade, particularly the transportation of oil, gas, and other essential commodities. The Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb Strait rank among the world’s busiest shipping lanes, serving as critical links between Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Any disruption in these waters can affect international supply chains, increase shipping costs, and impact global energy markets. Investigations into the cause of the attack are expected to continue as maritime authorities gather evidence. Meanwhile, shipping companies and governments are closely monitoring the security situation in the region to ensure the safety of commercial vessels and international trade routes.

  • |

    Shift in Democratic backing signals growing rift over US support for Israel

    A long-standing bipartisan consensus in Washington regarding unyielding support for Israel is facing unprecedented strain, primarily driven by deepening fractures within the Democratic Party. Escalating military action in Gaza, broader regional conflict, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s close alignment with US Republicans have steadily eroded traditional Democratic backing, threatening to transform America’s foreign policy landscape into a sharp partisan divide. This internal tension is increasingly evident across Capitol Hill and key electoral contests. Congressional votes attempting to restrict or eliminate annual military assistance, which amounts to billions of dollars alongside recent emergency packages, have gained significant momentum, drawing support from senior figures like former Speaker Nancy Pelosi despite pushback from House leadership. High-profile primary races in battlegrounds such as Michigan, Florida, and Colorado highlight this rift, pitting progressive candidates advocating a complete halt to military funding against establishment figures emphasising the strategic necessity of security ties. Recent public opinion polls reinforce this realignment, with a solid majority of Democratic voters maintaining that Washington is overly supportive of Israel, reflecting a generational shift that could permanently alter future US diplomatic relations.

  • | |

    Kashmir Exploitation Day, Pakistan’s leaders uni…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan observed Kashmir Exploitation Day on Wednesday with political leaders across party lines renewing their support for the people of Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir, while condemning India’s constitutional changes of August 5, 2019, as unlawful and contrary to international law and United Nations resolutions. Messages of solidarity were issued by senior government officials, provincial leaders, parliamentarians and political parties, all reiterating Pakistan’s commitment to supporting the Kashmiri people’s right to self-determination. Rallies, public gatherings and awareness events were also held in different parts of the country to mark the occasion. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said Pakistan would continue extending its political, diplomatic and moral support to the Kashmiri people until they were able to exercise their internationally recognised right to self-determination. He described India’s unilateral decisions of August 5, 2019, as illegal and urged New Delhi to reverse all measures that altered the disputed territory’s constitutional status. Pakistan’s Foreign Office Pakistan’s Foreign Office also reaffirmed the country’s unwavering support for Kashmiris, paying tribute to what it described as their courage, resilience and sacrifices. A spokesperson said Pakistan would continue highlighting the Kashmir issue at regional and international forums and called on the global community to uphold international law and relevant UN Security Council resolutions. Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz paid tribute to the families of those who lost their lives during the Kashmir conflict and appealed to the United Nations and international human rights organisations to take notice of alleged human rights violations in the region. She said August 5, 2019, represented an attack on the identity and rights of the Kashmiri people and maintained that Pakistan would continue raising its voice on their behalf. Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah also termed India’s constitutional changes a violation of UN Security Council resolutions. He urged the international community to play an effective role in ensuring the protection of human rights in Indian-administered Kashmir. Chairman Senate Yousaf Raza Gilani Chairman Senate Yousaf Raza Gilani strongly criticised India’s actions, saying attempts to alter the demographic composition of the disputed territory and undermine the identity of the Kashmiri people were unacceptable. He stressed that the Kashmir dispute should be resolved in accordance with the aspirations of its people and relevant UN resolutions. Governor Faisal Karim Kundi In Peshawar, a solidarity rally led by Governor Faisal Karim Kundi marched from the Civil Secretariat to the Governor House. Government employees, civil society representatives and citizens participated in the event, carrying Pakistani and Kashmiri flags while expressing support for the Kashmiri cause. Addressing participants, Kundi said Pakistan would continue standing with Kashmiris and expressed confidence that the people of the region would eventually determine their own future according to their wishes. Sindh Interior and Law Minister Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjar Sindh Interior and Law Minister Zia-ul-Hassan Lanjar said force and restrictions could not suppress the desire for freedom among Kashmiris. He alleged that India had violated international law and reiterated Pakistan’s solidarity with the people of Kashmir. Sindh Assembly Speaker Awais Qadir Shah Sindh Assembly Speaker Awais Qadir Shah also urged the United Nations to play a more active role, saying Kashmiris had been facing serious human rights challenges for several years. Jamaat-e-Islami chief Hafiz Naeem ur Rehman Jamaat-e-Islami chief Hafiz Naeem ur Rehman said the Kashmiri freedom movement would continue until the dispute was resolved in line with United Nations resolutions. He described the revocation of Kashmir’s special constitutional status as a challenge to international law and the UN system. Senator Sherry Rehman Senator Sherry Rehman praised the determination and resilience of the Kashmiri people, saying their struggle had continued despite years of political uncertainty. She maintained that India’s constitutional changes were aimed at ending the region’s special status. Federal Minister Amir Muqam At a separate rally in Islamabad, Federal Minister Amir Muqam said Pakistan marks August 5 every year to express solidarity with Kashmiris and condemn India’s actions. He alleged that demographic changes were being introduced in the disputed territory through settlement policies. PPP Parliamentarians Secretary General Nayyar Bukhari Meanwhile, Pakistan Peoples Party Parliamentarians Secretary General Nayyar Bukhari said the revocation of Kashmir’s special status had failed to weaken the freedom movement. He warned that policies pursued by the Indian government could further undermine regional peace and stability. The observance of Kashmir Exploitation Day concluded with renewed calls from Pakistan’s political leadership for greater international engagement on the Kashmir dispute. Leaders urged the United Nations and the global community to work towards a peaceful resolution of the issue in accordance with international law and the wishes of the Kashmiri people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *