thousands migrants leave
| | |

Thousands of migrants leave Spain’s Ceuta after …

Thousands of migrants have returned to Morocco after spending several days in Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta following one of the largest attempted border crossings in the territory’s history. Many migrants said they left because of hunger, exhaustion, and disappointment after finding limited support and few opportunities in Ceuta.

Spanish soldiers and Civil Guard officers guided groups of migrants back toward the Moroccan border crossing on Saturday. Many of those returning were young men who appeared physically exhausted after days of wandering through the city with little food or shelter. Some were barefoot, while others carried Red Cross blankets after receiving emergency assistance.

Among those returning was 23-year-old Abdel Latif, who said he had hoped to find work and a better future in Europe. He explained that unemployment in Morocco pushed him to attempt the dangerous journey, but he decided to leave Ceuta after struggling to find food and support.

The massive influx saw tens of thousands of migrants enter Ceuta over a period of two to three days. Local officials estimated that around 60,000 people reached the enclave, while Spain’s Interior Ministry reported a lower figure. The surge created a major humanitarian and political challenge for Spanish authorities.

Many migrants attempted to reach Ceuta by swimming around border barriers in the Mediterranean Sea. Several people collapsed after completing the dangerous crossing, with Red Cross teams providing emergency treatment. At least dozens of migrants reportedly died while attempting to reach the Spanish territory.

Spanish officials said that the majority of those who entered Ceuta had already returned to Morocco. Authorities have increased security measures along the maritime border, including the installation of floating barriers to prevent further crossings.

Ceuta, home to around 84,000 residents, is one of only two European land borders located in Africa, along with Melilla. The territory has long been a major destination for migrants hoping to enter Europe in search of employment and improved living conditions.

 

Many migrants said their motivation was driven by economic hardship. Some described difficult working conditions and low wages in Morocco, saying they were searching for stability and better opportunities.

Meanwhile, daily life in Ceuta has gradually returned to normal, with shops reopening and traffic resuming after the disruption caused by the migrant surge. However, some residents remain concerned about future migration pressures, while others say security improvements have restored a sense of stability.

The latest events have once again highlighted the complex challenges facing Europe and North Africa in managing migration, border security, and humanitarian needs.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Pakistan seal series with thrilling 4-3 win over South Korea

    Pakistan produced another impressive performance to edge South Korea 4-3 in a thrilling third hockey Test at Islamabad’s Nasir Bunda Hockey Stadium on Wednesday, taking an unassailable 3-0 lead in the four-match series. The visitors struck first and looked in control during the opening quarter. South Korea’s Kim Hyun Jung found the back of the net in the 10th minute, giving his side a 1-0 advantage that remained intact until the end of the first period. Pakistan responded strongly in the second quarter as Hayat Zakria scored a well-taken field goal to restore parity. However, the celebrations were short-lived, with Korea regaining the lead in the 33rd minute through Jing Ji Hon, leaving the hosts trailing 2-1. The contest became even more dramatic after the break. Rana Waheed equalised for Pakistan in the 45th minute, raising hopes of another comeback. Yet South Korea answered once again when Kim Yang scored five minutes later to make it 3-2 and put the visitors within touching distance of victory. With the clock ticking down, Pakistan produced a remarkable late surge. Hanan Shahid levelled the score in the 55th minute before Abdul Rehman completed the comeback just two minutes later, firing home the decisive goal in the 57th minute to send the home crowd into celebration. Pakistan held firm during the closing minutes to secure a memorable 4-3 victory, extending their winning streak against the Korean side. The result gives Pakistan an unbeatable 3-0 lead in the four-Test series, continuing an encouraging run for the national team on home soil. The series has also highlighted the successful return of international hockey action to Pakistan, with competitive crowds and spirited performances providing fresh optimism for the country’s hockey revival. The fourth and final Test will now offer Pakistan the opportunity to complete a clean sweep, while South Korea will look to salvage pride by avoiding a series whitewash.

  • |

    BTS confirms Grammy boycott after backlash over new Best Asian Pop category

    BTS has officially stepped back from the upcoming Grammy Awards, following major fan backlash over a newly created category many felt singled out Asian artists instead of including them. On Wednesday, July 29, the K-pop group announced it would not be submitting its music for consideration at the 69th Annual Grammy Awards, effectively confirming a boycott of next year’s ceremony. The announcement came through a joint statement posted across the members’ individual Instagram Stories. Jung Kook, Jimin, V, Suga, RM, Jin, and J-Hope all shared the same message, confirming that none of them would take part in the ceremony scheduled for February 7, 2027. “We have decided not to submit to the Grammys this year. We hope music can be heard and embraced for what it is, beyond region or language,” the group wrote. They added a note of thanks to their fanbase, saying, “Thank you to ARMY and everyone who continues to support us.” The decision means BTS is walking away from a shot at what would have been their first-ever Grammy win, something the members have repeatedly named as one of their biggest career goals. Skipping the ceremony entirely puts that milestone on hold, at least for another cycle. The move follows the Recording Academy’s June 16 announcement introducing five new award categories for the 2027 Grammys, one of which was Best Asian Pop Music Performance. While intended as a way to recognize the genre’s growing global reach, the category quickly drew criticism from BTS’s fandom. Many argued that instead of placing Asian artists on equal footing with their peers across other genres, the new category effectively boxed them into a separate lane, something fans felt ran counter to the idea of true recognition. Critics of the category pointed out that grouping Asian pop acts together, regardless of style or sound, risks reducing diverse artists to a single regional label rather than judging their work on the same terms as everyone else in the industry. For a band that has spent years pushing for mainstream recognition without being defined solely by their nationality, the new category struck a nerve. BTS’s decision to sit out the ceremony entirely sends a clear message about where they stand on the issue, even at the cost of a long-awaited Grammy opportunity.

  • | |

    Haripur clash kills one, Injures another

    Haripur: A minor dispute between two groups turned deadly in Haripur’s Paniyan area, leaving one brother dead and another critically injured. The incident sparked widespread public outrage, leading to a seven-hour protest against the police and the suspension of several officers. According to local sources, the confrontation reportedly began over a trivial disagreement involving people sitting outside a house. The argument quickly escalated into a violent clash between two groups, during which one young man was killed while his brother sustained critical injuries and was rushed for medical treatment. The incident triggered strong reactions from local residents, who accused the police of releasing the nominated suspects after allegedly accepting money from them. Protesters blocked the Silk Road (Shahrah-e-Resham) and continued their demonstration for nearly seven hours, demanding justice for the victims and action against those responsible. Following mounting public pressure, Haripur District Police Officer (DPO) Shafiullah Gandapur suspended the Station House Officer (SHO) of Paniyan Police Station along with five other police personnel. Another police official was placed under quarter guard over allegations of misconduct. The DPO also ordered a departmental inquiry to investigate the officers’ handling of the case. Sources further claimed that a police official was suspended over allegations of accepting Rs10,000 from the victim’s family. Authorities have not yet confirmed the bribery allegation, and the matter remains under investigation. Late at night, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Member of the National Assembly Babar Nawaz Khan met with the protesters in an effort to negotiate a peaceful resolution. Following successful talks between police officials and community representatives, the protest ended and the blocked GT Road was reopened for traffic. Speaking to the media, DPO Shafiullah Gandapur stated that strict departmental action was being taken against any police personnel found negligent in the performance of their duties. He emphasized that the law applies equally to everyone and assured the public that a transparent investigation would be conducted to ensure accountability. The investigation into both the fatal clash and the allegations of police misconduct is ongoing.

  • |

    Pakistan men’s football team set for historic FIFA ASEAN Cup debut

    The Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) has officially confirmed that the Pakistan men’s national football team will participate in the inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup later this year, marking a historic milestone for the country’s football. It will be the first time the Pakistan men’s team competes in an official FIFA tournament, where it will face some of the strongest teams in the region. According to the PFF, the national men’s team will make its maiden appearance in a FIFA-sanctioned competition, highlighting the steady progress of football in Pakistan and opening a new chapter in the country’s sporting history. The inaugural FIFA ASEAN Cup is scheduled to take place in Indonesia during September and October this year. Pakistan has been placed in the tournament’s top tier, where it will compete against established footballing nations, including India, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Thailand. The competition is expected to provide Pakistan with valuable exposure against higher-ranked opponents and help the national team gain experience at the international level. Pakistan is one of only three countries that have received special invitations to participate in the tournament. The participating teams will be divided into two groups, with each side battling for a place in the knockout stages. The event is expected to showcase some of the best football talent in the region while promoting greater cooperation between Asian football associations. PFF President Syed Mohsen Gilani described the team’s participation as a landmark achievement for Pakistan football. He said that following the Pakistan women’s national team’s appearance in the FIFA Series, the men’s national team will now compete in its first-ever FIFA event, making it another significant milestone for the country’s football development. Gilani said the FIFA ASEAN Cup would provide Pakistan with an excellent opportunity to test its abilities against strong international opponents. He added that competing against quality teams would help the players gain valuable experience, improve their performance, and demonstrate Pakistan’s footballing potential on the global stage. He also expressed confidence that the tournament would contribute to the long-term growth of football in Pakistan by giving players international exposure and motivating young athletes to pursue the sport professionally. According to him, participation in prestigious international competitions is essential for improving the country’s FIFA ranking and strengthening the national football structure. The confirmation of Pakistan’s participation has generated excitement among football fans, who view the tournament as an important opportunity for the national team to make its mark internationally. Supporters are hopeful that the players will deliver competitive performances and represent Pakistan with pride against some of Asia’s leading football nations. The announcement also reinforces the Pakistan Football Federation’s commitment to expanding the country’s presence in international football. Officials believe that regular participation in global and regional tournaments will accelerate the development of the sport and create more opportunities for Pakistani footballers. The Pakistan Football Federation has now formally confirmed the news, ending speculation and officially announcing the national team’s inclusion in the prestigious tournament. As preparations begin, the Pakistan men’s national team will focus on strengthening its squad and improving its performance ahead of the historic competition. The FIFA ASEAN Cup represents more than just another tournament—it marks Pakistan’s first step into FIFA men’s tournament football and offers a chance to compete on one of the biggest regional stages in the sport.

  • |

    Majority of Americans see Iran War as tougher than…

    A majority of Americans believe the ongoing war with Iran has proven more difficult than initially anticipated by the US administration, according to a new CBS News/YouGov poll, with 76% of respondents describing the conflict as “more challenging” than expected . The survey, conducted between July 22 and 24, found that only 20% of respondents felt the war had unfolded as anticipated, while a mere 4% believed it had been easier than expected . Public sentiment surrounding the conflict appeared largely unsettled. The poll showed that 58% of respondents felt uncertain about the situation, while 57% reported feelings of frustration . Additionally, 36% expressed pessimism, compared to just 19% who said they felt optimistic . The findings also suggested limited confidence in the US position, with only 22% of respondents believing Iran currently held the advantage in the conflict . The results highlighted growing public concern over the trajectory of the war, which has drawn in regional actors and intensified tensions across the Middle East . The poll comes as the Trump administration has warned of “strong military action” if Iran talks fail, while Tehran has continued to signal defiance . The conflict has also impacted broader regional dynamics, including the recent trilateral framework agreement involving Israel, Lebanon, and the US, as well as Iran’s stated conditions for ending the war .

  • | |

    Travis Barker reveals what led to his divorce from…

    Travis Barker has opened up about his brief first marriage to Melissa Kennedy, offering a glimpse into the personal choices that contributed to their relationship ending. The Blink-182 drummer married Kennedy in 2001, but their marriage lasted only about nine months before he filed for divorce in August 2002. (Wikipedia⁠) While little is publicly known about Kennedy or the couple’s relationship, Barker has discussed the marriage in his 2015 memoir, Can I Say. His comments suggest that he entered married life while still struggling with a strong desire for attention from other women. Barker acknowledged that he was “constantly looking for other girls” even before marrying Kennedy. He also admitted that his behavior extended to his bachelor party, when he was still thinking about other women despite preparing to get married. (HELLO!⁠) Those revelations provide important context for the short-lived relationship. Although Barker has not publicly described one specific incident as the official reason for their divorce, his own reflections point to his behavior and mindset at the time as major factors in the marriage’s failure. The timing of the split also came during a major period in Barker’s career. Blink-182 was enjoying enormous success after the release of its 2001 album Take Off Your Pants and Jacket, while Barker was becoming increasingly recognized as one of the band’s standout members. His professional life was moving quickly, and his personal life was changing just as rapidly. Barker and Kennedy officially went their separate ways in August 2002. The drummer later moved on with actress and model Shanna Moakler, whom he married in 2004. Their relationship became much more public through MTV’s Meet the Barkers, and the couple welcomed two children together. (Wikipedia⁠) Looking back, Barker’s comments about Kennedy show how different his life and relationships were in his younger years. His memoir did not simply revisit the end of the marriage; it also acknowledged some of his own mistakes. Today, Barker is married to Kourtney Kardashian Barker. The couple, who married in 2022, have spoken openly about communication and accountability as important parts of maintaining their relationship. (People.com⁠) His reflections on his first marriage therefore offer a rare look at the musician’s past and the lessons he appears to have carried into his later relationships.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *