thousands migrants leave
| | |

Thousands of migrants leave Spain’s Ceuta after …

Thousands of migrants have returned to Morocco after spending several days in Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta following one of the largest attempted border crossings in the territory’s history. Many migrants said they left because of hunger, exhaustion, and disappointment after finding limited support and few opportunities in Ceuta.

Spanish soldiers and Civil Guard officers guided groups of migrants back toward the Moroccan border crossing on Saturday. Many of those returning were young men who appeared physically exhausted after days of wandering through the city with little food or shelter. Some were barefoot, while others carried Red Cross blankets after receiving emergency assistance.

Among those returning was 23-year-old Abdel Latif, who said he had hoped to find work and a better future in Europe. He explained that unemployment in Morocco pushed him to attempt the dangerous journey, but he decided to leave Ceuta after struggling to find food and support.

The massive influx saw tens of thousands of migrants enter Ceuta over a period of two to three days. Local officials estimated that around 60,000 people reached the enclave, while Spain’s Interior Ministry reported a lower figure. The surge created a major humanitarian and political challenge for Spanish authorities.

Many migrants attempted to reach Ceuta by swimming around border barriers in the Mediterranean Sea. Several people collapsed after completing the dangerous crossing, with Red Cross teams providing emergency treatment. At least dozens of migrants reportedly died while attempting to reach the Spanish territory.

Spanish officials said that the majority of those who entered Ceuta had already returned to Morocco. Authorities have increased security measures along the maritime border, including the installation of floating barriers to prevent further crossings.

Ceuta, home to around 84,000 residents, is one of only two European land borders located in Africa, along with Melilla. The territory has long been a major destination for migrants hoping to enter Europe in search of employment and improved living conditions.

 

Many migrants said their motivation was driven by economic hardship. Some described difficult working conditions and low wages in Morocco, saying they were searching for stability and better opportunities.

Meanwhile, daily life in Ceuta has gradually returned to normal, with shops reopening and traffic resuming after the disruption caused by the migrant surge. However, some residents remain concerned about future migration pressures, while others say security improvements have restored a sense of stability.

The latest events have once again highlighted the complex challenges facing Europe and North Africa in managing migration, border security, and humanitarian needs.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Gigi Hadid breaks silence after secret wedding rumours

    Gigi Hadid has made a fresh social media appearance after recently grabbing attention with a wedding ring during a public outing with her boyfriend, Bradley Cooper. The supermodel, who was previously in a relationship with singer Zayn Malik, returned to Instagram on Sunday, August 9, sharing a series of photos that gave fans a glimpse into her summer days with her daughter, Khai. The update came just days after Gigi and Bradley fueled speculation that they may have secretly tied the knot. The 31-year-old model appeared to be enjoying a relaxed summer getaway with family and friends. Among the first pictures she shared was a sweet beach moment featuring Gigi alongside her younger sister, Bella Hadid. Both sisters looked effortlessly stylish as they posed together while enjoying the sunny surroundings. Another photo showed Gigi spending time with a close friend on a yacht, while their daughters were seen wearing matching swimsuits. The collection of images also captured several warm mother-daughter moments, highlighting how the model has been making the most of her summer break with Khai. Gigi’s post quickly attracted significant attention from her millions of followers. While many fans praised the beautiful summer snapshots, others could not help but notice how much Khai has grown. Several followers took to the comments section to express their surprise at seeing the little girl looking noticeably older. Fans described Khai as “so big” and shared their amazement at how quickly she appears to be growing up. The Instagram update also gave Gigi an opportunity to shift the focus away from the recent wedding speculation and toward her personal life and time with her daughter. Rumours surrounding Gigi and Bradley intensified earlier this month when the couple were spotted together in Paris. On Monday, August 3, the pair were photographed walking hand in hand through the French capital, with their jewellery immediately catching the attention of fans. Both appeared to be wearing rings on their hands, leading to widespread speculation that they may have secretly exchanged wedding vows. However, neither Gigi nor Bradley has publicly confirmed that they are married. The couple, who have reportedly been romantically linked since 2023, have generally kept their relationship away from the spotlight. Their rare public appearances have therefore continued to attract considerable attention. Gigi’s ring also became a major talking point among fans. The jewellery reportedly features 33 quarter-carat diamonds set alongside 18-karat yellow and white gold in a Grosgrain design. The ring has been reported to cost around $6,450. Despite the growing speculation, Gigi has not addressed the marriage rumours directly. Instead, her latest Instagram post focused on her summer memories, family and daughter. For now, fans will have to wait for Gigi or Bradley to confirm whether the rings were simply jewellery or a sign of a secret wedding.

  • |

    Brazil’s Lula announces fourth-term campaign…

    Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has launched his campaign for a fourth term at a Workers’ Party convention in Sao Paulo, confirming it would be his final bid for office. Centring his platform on global affairs and national defence, the 80-year-old leader pledged to increase military spending and protect the country’s vast rare earth mineral reserves. He warned foreign powers that Brazil would not permit nations like China, France, or the United States to access these resources without respecting territorial sovereignty. Lula currently holds a slight lead in opinion polls against his likely main challenger, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro.

  • |

    UK Parliament hears fresh concerns over human rights in Indian-Occupied Jammu & Kashmir

    The human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) came under renewed scrutiny in the House of Lords on Thursday after Lord Qurban Hussain urged the British Government to clarify its position in light of a Genocide Watch report published earlier this year. During the debate, Lord Qurban Hussain said the report warned that the situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir had reached a critical stage and alleged that eight of the ten recognised stages associated with genocide had already been reached. He asked how seriously the British Government viewed the report and what action it was taking to help prevent further deterioration. The British peer, who said members of his family live on both sides of the Line of Control, urged the Government to explain its assessment of the report and its approach towards the human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir. Responding for the Government, Lord Collins of Highbury, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), reiterated the UK’s longstanding position on human rights. He said the UK continues to express concern over violence and loss of life and supports full, transparent and impartial investigations into allegations of abuse by Indian police and security forces. He added that the British Government continues to raise human rights issues with India through diplomatic channels. Lord Qurban Hussain’s intervention highlights continuing concern among a number of British parliamentarians over the human rights situation in Indian-occupied Jammu and Kashmir, with renewed calls for accountability, respect for fundamental rights and a peaceful resolution of the longstanding dispute.

  • |

    Archbishop of Canterbury commits to £100m fund over Church of England’s historical role in transatlantic slave trade

    The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dame Sarah Mullally, has renewed the Church of England’s commitment to a controversial £100m fund for reparative justice during a pastoral visit to Cape Coast Castle in Ghana. Speaking from the historic site where enslaved Africans were held before being trafficked to the Americas, Mullally stated that touring the castle’s dungeons and chapel reinforced the institution’s need to take active steps to support communities still experiencing the legacy of the slave trade. The £100m investment and research fund was established following an audit of the Church’s historic endowment, which revealed extensive financial links to slave-trafficking operations, alongside missionary ownership of plantations in the Caribbean. Despite facing vocal opposition from critics who question the fund’s legal grounds and historical accuracy, Mullally reaffirmed that repentance requires concrete action. Ghanaian Foreign Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa praised her stance, arguing that acknowledging past institutional complicity is essential for genuine reconciliation.

  • | |

    Pakistan’s military tightens grip on Islamis…

    Munir’s family background feeds into this shift as well. He is the son of an imam and considers himself a devout, conservative Muslim, and religious identity remains deeply woven into Pakistan’s state institutions. Even so, he has pushed the country toward international engagement through cryptocurrency partnerships, foreign investment deals, a mediating role in the conflict between the United States and Iran, and a mutual defence pact with Saudi Arabia. Data shared with a foreign news agency by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, a group that tracks conflict incidents worldwide, shows the scale of the shift. Pakistan averaged more than seven blasphemy related riots or attacks annually between 2021 and 2024, but recorded only one such incident over the past twelve months. Economic pressure appears to have played a significant role in prompting the crackdown. Two Pakistani government sources said officials grew alarmed during the summer of 2025 that rising hostility from fundamentalist groups toward France and other European countries threatened to jeopardize a European Union duty waiver covering Pakistani exports. Nearly a third of Pakistan’s total exports go to the EU, and losing that preferential access could have dealt a severe blow to the national economy. Neither the European Commission nor Pakistan’s commerce ministry responded to requests for comment on the matter. Washington has added its own pressure over religious freedom concerns. The US Commission on International Religious Freedom, a government watchdog, recommended last year that Pakistan be placed back on a list of countries of particular concern due to its blasphemy laws, a designation Islamabad has firmly rejected. Analyst Abdul Basit of Singapore’s S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies said worsening insurgent violence in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan’s two most mineral rich provinces, likely added urgency to Munir’s campaign, particularly since he has pitched foreign investment in the country’s mining sector to American officials over the past year. Basit noted that religious groups have lost favor within the state’s priorities, though he cautioned that the militias driving these regional insurgencies are not formally tied to the newly banned Islamist organizations, even if both draw recruits from the same pool of young, radicalized men. Elizabeth Threlkeld, who directs the Stimson Center’s South Asia program, said the open question going forward is whether Pakistan can sustain this level of focus over time. Crackdown targets country’s largest fundamentalist movement The largest of the groups swept up in the crackdown, Tehreek e Labbaik Pakistan, built its identity around the slogan “Death to blasphemers” before authorities banned it late last year. Many of its leaders now sit in jail, its mosques have been sealed shut and its financial accounts frozen. A previously undisclosed government document that laid the groundwork for the ban argued the organization had become a serious threat to Pakistan by damaging both domestic stability and the country’s standing internationally. A spokesperson for the group pointed to a statement it issued last year describing the ban as illegal and unconstitutional. The move against Tehreek e Labbaik follows earlier crackdowns on groups such as Lashkar e Taiba and Jaish e Muhammad, which Pakistan pursued under pressure from the Financial Action Task Force, the international body that monitors terrorism financing. Basit linked the newest crackdown to a period of internal reflection within Pakistan over its historical backing of the Afghan Taliban, whom Islamabad now blames for stoking Islamist insurgencies against the Pakistani state from across the border. The Taliban government in Kabul has dismissed that accusation as baseless, and a spokesperson for its foreign ministry declined to comment further, describing Pakistan’s crackdown as an internal matter. For Pakistan’s Christian, Shia and Ahmadi communities, the change in atmosphere has been dramatic. In the past, suspects in blasphemy related killings, including police officers, were sometimes greeted with rose petals or celebratory receptions, and individuals accused of burning churches or minority mosques often received public praise. Blasphemy remains a capital offense under Pakistani law, and even a rumor of an accusation has historically been enough to spark riots or lynchings. Human rights organizations say victims’ families have rarely obtained justice, since judges and lawyers have often been too frightened to take on such cases. Officer Malik said everyone who confronted the crowd during last month’s incident in Karachi felt genuine fear. The Christian family targeted that day was eventually moved to safety, and an initial investigation has since found the accusations against them to be false. Group’s military links trace back a decade Tehreek e Labbaik formed in 2015 while its founder was imprisoned for shooting and killing a Pakistani provincial governor in 2011 over his support for a Christian woman accused of blasphemy. That gunman, a former police bodyguard, was later convicted and executed months after the group’s founding. Analysts have long suspected the group’s creation received at least tacit support from Pakistan’s military establishment, including its intelligence services, as a tool to keep civilian governments and mainstream political parties in check. Following violent riots led by the group in 2017, then army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa referred to its protesters as the country’s own people. Pakistan’s Supreme Court later ordered the military and intelligence agencies to stay out of politics but stopped short of directly tying them to the organization. Analysts and former officials say the effects of years of tolerance for the group will not disappear simply because of a ban, and that the shock felt by its supporters could still trigger backlash. Ihsan Ghani, who served as Pakistan’s counter terrorism chief during the 2017 riots, said he worries the group could resurface at full strength if its usefulness to the state changes again. He compared decades of state backed nurturing of the movement to something that cannot simply be switched on and off at will. Within Pakistan’s minority communities, the sudden shift still feels fragile. One of the Christian women rescued during last month’s incident in Karachi said she and her family are now physically safe, but admitted the fear has not fully faded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *