consulate toronto targeted
|

US Consulate in Toronto targeted in second shooting

TORONTO: Canadian police have launched an investigation after gunfire was reported outside the US Consulate in downtown Toronto.

The incident marks the second shooting near the diplomatic facility this year. Authorities are investigating the motive and examining security measures around the building.

Police were alerted after hearing a gunshot near the consulate on University Avenue. Officers later found evidence that a firearm had been discharged.

Investigators recovered a single shell casing from the area. The exterior of the consulate also suffered minor damage.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

Police said a white Honda sedan without a licence plate was seen leaving the area at high speed. Officers briefly pursued the vehicle but ended the chase because of safety concerns.

The consulate was previously targeted in a shooting on March 10. Several arrests were later made in connection with that incident.

Toronto police have also been investigating claims that criminal networks were recruiting young people to carry out shootings at prominent locations across the city.

Officials have previously mentioned the US Consulate and Jewish institutions among the reported targets.

Police have not yet established whether the latest shooting is linked to the earlier incident.

Authorities said it was too early to determine a definite motive. Security around the consulate has remained under close watch following previous incidents.

Police said in June that young people in the Toronto area were allegedly being offered money to carry out shootings at different locations.

The reported targets included synagogues, Jewish schools and the US Consulate.

Three people were arrested in connection with the March shooting. A police officer was killed during the operation linked to those arrests.

The US State Department said it was cooperating with Canadian authorities following the latest incident.

A department spokesperson thanked Canadian law enforcement agencies for their continued efforts to protect the consulate.

The US Embassy and consulates across Canada remain open. However, some routine consular services in Toronto have been rescheduled.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford condemned the latest incident. He also criticised recent shootings and acts of vandalism reported in Toronto.

Ford said police investigations were underway and called for those responsible to be identified and prosecuted.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Martha Stewart row leaves Meghan Markle facing fresh backlash

    Meghan Markle continues to face intense media scrutiny following her return to England with Prince Harry. Much of the latest controversy stems from comments made by Martha Stewart. The lifestyle icon claimed Meghan discussed her recent trip at an LA dinner party. Stewart also made pointed remarks about Meghan’s career shift from actress to princess to lifestyle personality. The controversy prompted TalkTV host Kevin O’Sullivan to sit down with commentator Kinsey Schofield to unpack where the story likely originated. Schofield suggested Stewart may not have realised her comments would create problems for Meghan. She described the moment as appearing to be a genuine, unplanned remark from Stewart. According to Schofield, it seems more suspicious that an anonymous source later contacted People magazine specifically to dispute parts of the story. She questioned why someone claiming to have hosted the dinner party would rush to correct the narrative while insisting on staying anonymous. The timing and motive behind that pushback struck her as unusual. O’Sullivan added his own take, acknowledging much of this remains speculation rather than confirmed fact. Still, he said it’s hard to imagine anyone other than Meghan herself being invested enough to want the story corrected. He suggested Stewart likely is not preoccupied with Meghan at all, given her own established status. However, he believed she may feel mildly annoyed by someone stepping into territory she’s long considered her own. O’Sullivan pointed out that Stewart spent decades building her reputation around cooking and home economics expertise. He argued that reputation makes her uniquely qualified in the eyes of the public. He then referenced Meghan’s Netflix series, “With Love, Meghan,” suggesting it revealed gaps in her lifestyle expertise once viewers actually watched it. According to O’Sullivan, that contrast is likely what mildly irritates Stewart the most. The commentary adds another layer to the ongoing public discourse surrounding Meghan’s post-royal career and public image. With opinions sharply divided, the story shows no signs of fading from tabloid coverage anytime soon.

  • |

    Kendall Jenner enjoys Chris Stapleton concert with Jacob Elordi

    Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi have once again sparked romance speculation after enjoying a cozy date night at Chris Stapleton’s All-American Road Show concert on July 24 at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Washington. The rumored couple was spotted watching the performance from a side-stage VIP area, where they appeared relaxed and comfortable in each other’s company. Kendall, founder of 818 Tequila, was seen sipping a drink while enjoying the music, while Elordi, dressed casually in a white T-shirt and a baseball cap, leaned in to chat with her throughout the evening. Their appearance quickly caught the attention of fellow concertgoers, with several fans sharing videos on social media. One widely circulated TikTok clip captured the excitement of attendees after realizing the pair were standing nearby, further fueling online discussion about their relationship. The concert outing is the latest in a string of public appearances that have kept romance rumors surrounding the two celebrities alive throughout the summer. Speculation about Kendall and Jacob’s relationship first intensified after they were seen spending time together during this year’s Coachella Music and Arts Festival in April. Since then, the pair have reportedly been spotted enjoying several trips together, including vacations in Hawaii, dining outings in Tokyo, and travels to Elordi’s native Australia. Although neither Kendall nor Jacob has publicly confirmed they are dating, their frequent appearances together have continued to attract attention. Photos and videos of the pair have regularly surfaced online, with fans closely following their rumored romance. Before their latest concert date, Kendall and Jacob were also seen spending time with Kylie Jenner and actor Timothée Chalamet during a double date in Los Angeles, adding more fuel to ongoing speculation about their relationship. Interestingly, Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi have known each other for several years. The Saltburn actor attended Jenner’s birthday celebration in 2022, though the two were not romantically linked at the time. Romance rumors only began circulating in early 2026 after the pair were spotted chatting at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party in March. Their appearance together at Coachella the following month further intensified speculation that they had grown closer. Around the same time, reports suggested that the pair had been spending time together privately and were getting to know one another over the previous few months. Since then, they have continued to appear together on multiple occasions, though they have chosen not to address the rumors publicly. Both Jenner and Elordi have previously spoken about the challenges that come with maintaining relationships while living in the spotlight. They have each expressed a preference for keeping their personal lives private despite constant public interest and media attention. For now, the pair remain silent about the true nature of their relationship. However, with each new public outing, fans continue to speculate that the model and the Australian actor may be one of Hollywood’s newest celebrity couples. Whether or not they decide to confirm their romance, their latest concert date has only added to the growing buzz surrounding them.

  • |

    ICC removes Karim Khan over sex abuse allegations

    The International Criminal Court (ICC) has officially removed Chief Prosecutor Karim Khan after member states voted in favour of his dismissal over allegations of sexual misconduct. The decision marks a significant leadership change at the world’s top war crimes court, which has been under growing international scrutiny in recent years. The vote was taken by the Assembly of States Parties, the governing body of the ICC, following months of discussions over the allegations against the British lawyer. Khan had already stepped aside from his duties in June after an oversight process recommended further action. Karim Khan has consistently denied all allegations. His legal team said the decision to remove him was politically motivated and argued that he was not given a fair opportunity to defend himself during the proceedings. His lawyers maintained that an independent judicial panel had not found sufficient evidence to establish misconduct under the court’s legal framework. They claimed the final decision ignored those findings and raised concerns about the independence and credibility of the removal process. The development comes at a sensitive time for the ICC. Khan attracted global attention in 2024 after seeking arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defence Minister Yoav Gallant over alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity linked to the conflict in Gaza. The move sparked strong reactions from Israel and the United States. Following the warrants, the administration of US President Donald Trump imposed sanctions on Khan and several other ICC officials, increasing pressure on the court. Legal representatives for Khan argued that the prosecutor was removed while facing international political pressure and economic sanctions, suggesting that the circumstances surrounding the vote could affect the court’s independence. The ICC announced that Deputy Prosecutors Nazhat Shameem Khan and Mame Mandiaye Niang will jointly lead the Office of the Prosecutor until a new chief prosecutor is elected. The court said the process to select Khan’s successor will begin soon, but member states are not expected to elect a permanent replacement before next year. The ICC also clarified that Karim Khan’s removal will not affect existing investigations or previously issued arrest warrants. The warrants issued in 2024 against Israeli officials remain legally valid because only ICC judges have the authority to cancel or withdraw them. The court reaffirmed its commitment to conducting independent and impartial investigations despite the leadership change. It said its work to investigate alleged war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide in different parts of the world will continue without interruption.

  • |

    Azad Kashmir goes to polls under revised schedule following civil unrest

    Voting has commenced in the Mirpur division of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) for the first phase of the region’s general elections, following weeks of political instability and civil unrest. The election commission announced a three-phase schedule across 45 assembly constituencies after campaign activities were severely disrupted by protests led by the Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC), a civil rights movement recently banned under anti-terrorism laws. The unrest primarily stems from JAAC’s demand to abolish 12 legislative seats reserved for Kashmiri refugees living in Pakistan, which the group contends allow mainstream Pakistani political parties to improperly influence local government formation. While the AJK Supreme Court ruled that these reserved seats hold constitutional protection and cannot be removed by executive decree, security remains high across polling areas, with officials warning of strict legal measures against any attempts to disrupt the voting process. Following the Mirpur phase, voting for the Muzaffarabad division and refugee constituencies will take place on August 2, concluding with the Poonch division on August 10.

  • | | | |

    US forces disable two ships amid rising tensions i…

    WASHINGTON: Tensions around the Strait of Hormuz have intensified after the United States said its forces had disabled two commercial vessels that failed to comply with orders linked to its naval blockade of Iranian ports. The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces had redirected 12 commercial vessels attempting to breach the blockade as of July 25. Two ships that allegedly refused to comply were disabled, while two others were boarded to verify compliance. The latest development adds another layer of uncertainty to maritime traffic through one of the world’s most strategically important waterways, where any disruption can have consequences for global energy and shipping markets. CENTCOM said the Mozambique-flagged M/T Lavine was disabled in the Gulf of Oman on July 24 after its crew allegedly attempted several times to violate the blockade and ignored repeated warnings. According to the US military, the vessel had been heading towards Iran but is no longer travelling to an Iranian port. The US military also reported a separate operation involving the Comoros-flagged M/T Charminar in the Arabian Sea. American forces boarded the tanker on July 25 for verification. After the inspection, the vessel was allowed to continue its journey, according to CENTCOM. CENTCOM has described the naval blockade as remaining fully in effect, saying its forces are continuing to monitor commercial shipping and enforce restrictions on vessels travelling to or from Iranian ports. The confrontation comes amid heightened US-Iran tensions and growing concerns over the security of maritime routes around the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is a crucial passage for international trade and energy shipments, making military activity in the area particularly sensitive. The US claims its measures are aimed at preventing vessels from violating the blockade, while Iran has continued to challenge restrictions on shipping in the region. The latest incidents could further complicate efforts to maintain safe commercial navigation. With American forces increasing enforcement and vessels facing greater scrutiny, shipping companies operating near the region are likely to remain on high alert. For now, the Strait of Hormuz remains a major flashpoint, with every confrontation at sea carrying the risk of a broader escalation.

  • | |

    Six members of one family killed in Israeli strike…

    An Israeli airstrike killed a father, his wife and their four children in Gaza City on Tuesday, setting their home on fire, according to health officials, in the latest deadly incident since a US backed ceasefire took hold more than nine months ago. Medics said the strike hit the family’s house in the Sabra neighborhood, killing Firas Al Masri, his wife Salsabeel, their three daughters and their son. The Israeli military confirmed carrying out the strike, saying it had targeted a Hamas militant and that it was still assessing the outcome of the attack. A video obtained by a news agency showed rescue workers battling fires inside the house and carrying out bodies wrapped in white shrouds. Masri’s father, Abu Yusuf Al Masri, said the explosion occurred while the family slept, describing his grief over the loss of his son, daughter in law and grandchildren. He said rescuers could not save the children and grandchildren from the flames and destruction, and that around five or six people died, most of them women and children, without warning and without mercy. Standing outside the family home, he said no place in Gaza offers relative calm or safety anymore. Heavy toll since October The Israeli military said it carried out four separate strikes since Friday that killed four militants from Hamas and Islamic Jihad, three of whom it said had taken part in the October 7, 2023, attack on Israel that triggered the war and involved the seizure of Israeli hostages. Later Tuesday, two additional Israeli airstrikes hit a vehicle in central Gaza and an association building in Gaza City, killing at least six more people and wounding others, according to Palestinian medics, bringing Tuesday’s overall death toll to 12. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on either of these later strikes. These latest deaths add to a toll exceeding 1,160 Palestinians, most of them civilians, killed in Israeli attacks since the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas took effect in October, according to health officials in Gaza. Hamas typically does not disclose its own casualty figures. The truce halted large scale fighting but has not stopped near daily Israeli strikes across the territory. Israel says these operations target militants. Four Israeli soldiers have died at the hands of militants in Gaza during the same period. Mediators including Egypt, Qatar, Turkey and the United States have continued working to advance a plan put forward by President Donald Trump aimed at ending the conflict in Gaza, which calls for Hamas to disarm and for Israeli forces to withdraw, though little progress has emerged so far. The war began when Hamas led fighters attacked communities in southern Israel, killing 1,200 people and taking roughly 250 hostages, according to Israeli figures. Israel’s subsequent military campaign has killed more than 73,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health officials. Nearly all of Gaza’s population of about two million people now lives crowded along a narrow strip of coastal land, largely in makeshift tents or damaged buildings, enduring severe conditions under continued Hamas control. The continued strikes highlight how the ceasefire, despite formally ending large scale combat, has failed to bring lasting safety to civilians in Gaza, with families like the Al Masris bearing the human cost of attacks that Israel says are aimed at militants but that have repeatedly killed women and children in residential areas. International mediators continue pressing for progress on disarmament and withdrawal terms, though the persistent violence has raised doubts about how quickly, if at all, conditions on the ground might meaningfully improve for Gaza’s remaining population.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *