Germany hunts terror suspect after Berlin pride cr…
German authorities launched a national manhunt on Sunday for an individual suspected of ploughing a minivan into a crowd near a huge LGBTQ Pride gathering in Berlin, killing one person and injuring 29 others. The attack occurred in Tiergarten park near the Brandenburg Gate at approximately 10 pm, close to one of Europe’s largest annual LGBTQ celebrations, Christopher Street Day.
The incident is the latest in a series of vehicle attacks on crowds in Germany that have intensified debate around security and immigration amid a surge in support for the far-right. Chancellor Friedrich Merz urged Germans to protect liberal values, stating: “We will defend the freedom, openness, and liberal spirit of our lives and our society with everything we can do.”
It remains unclear whether the perpetrator acted alone, as police said more than one person may have exited the van. Berlin broadcaster RBB reported that an Iranian who had been a passenger in the vehicle had been arrested. The fire service confirmed that three of the injured were in a life-threatening condition.
The attack comes at a sensitive time for Merz’s unpopular coalition government, which is undergoing a bruising cabinet reshuffle amid criticism of its effectiveness. The far-right Alternative for Germany party, campaigning on immigration and security, was quick to comment on the attack. AfD co-chief Tino Chrupalla said on X: “We will not allow religious extremists to divide our country with violence and intolerance!”
Germany has experienced several vehicle attacks in recent years. In May, a man believed to have mental health problems drove into a pedestrian zone in Leipzig, killing two and injuring three. In 2016, a Tunisian failed asylum seeker hijacked a truck and drove it into a busy Christmas market, killing 11 people.
At the Tiergarten park, people lit candles and left flowers in memory of the victim. The investigation is ongoing, with authorities working to determine the full circumstances of the attack. The incident has once again raised questions about security measures at public events and the broader challenges of preventing such acts of violence. The government faces increasing pressure to address these concerns while upholding the country’s commitment to openness and tolerance. As the manhunt continues, the nation mourns the loss of life and hopes for the recovery of those injured in this senseless act of violence. The coming days will be crucial in determining the motives behind the attack and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice. The international community has expressed solidarity with Germany, offering support in the aftermath of the tragedy. The attack serves as a stark reminder of the ongoing threat of extremism and the need for continued vigilance to protect public safety.