credible missile threat
|

Credible missile threat led to secret aircraft switch for Trump, source says

WASHINGTON, DC, USA – A threat that Air Force One could be targeted by a shoulder-fired missile prompted the Secret Service to secretly move President Donald Trump onto a smaller government jet during a trip to Turkey last month, a person briefed on the matter said on Wednesday, August 12.

The threat emerged on the final day of Trump’s visit to Ankara for the NATO summit amid heightened tensions with Iran, the source said. The Secret Service deemed the threat to be credible and imminent, prompting an extraordinary operation to conceal the US President’s movements.

The source declined to say where the intelligence came from but said officials had little time to prepare and had to devise the plans at the last minute.

A second source briefed on the matter said there was not a clear plan by those hostile to Trump for executing the threat, but only an intent, which is why the planes were allowed to fly.

Trump and a small group of aides used a catering truck to surreptitiously switch from the big blue-and-white presidential aircraft to a smaller, nondescript C-32A jet for the flight out of Turkey on July 8, while Air Force One departed separately carrying senior administration officials, White House staff and the traveling press corps, according to the first source.

Trump told reporters on Tuesday, August 11, that he made the switch at the direction of the Secret Service, which is charged with presidential security. He flew from Ankara to a refueling stop in Britain without incident.

“I think actually the plane that I flew on was at greater risk,” Trump told reporters, without providing evidence. “I think it was at ​greater risk because that would be the plane I think that they would be more likely to go for.”

The threat may have been a new type of heat-seeking missile that homes in on hot aircraft engines and has become an increasing concern for military planners, said Douglas Birkey, executive director of the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies. They are harder to detect than traditional radar-guided threats and “can kind of come out of nowhere” because they don’t send out detectable radio waves.

One version, the Iranian SA-67, has a simple rail launcher and is believed to use heat-seeking as well as laser guidance systems, Birkey said. A shoulder-mounted heat-seeking weapon, the 9K333 Verba, is made in Russia, he said.

Secret travel

US presidents, including Trump, have occasionally traveled under secrecy when visiting war zones or high-risk regions in order to maintain security. But those trips typically involved advance notice for journalists traveling with the president.

Some members of the press got a heads-up ahead of a Thanksgiving 2003 trip by President George W. Bush to Baghdad. Other members of the press corps covering Bush’s Thanksgiving holiday in Crawford, Texas, were misled, however. Told that Bush was spending the feast day with family, they were shocked when the president abruptly surfaced in Iraq.

The first source on Wednesday said the Secret Service did not have the luxury of time in Turkey.

“They were scrambling to head off what they thought was a credible, imminent threat,” the source said.

The Washington Post first reported details of the operation this week, more than a month after it was carried out.

The New York Times reported that US officials were alarmed to discover that Iranians knew where Trump was staying in Ankara, including the exact floor of his hotel.

On board the Air Force One jet now seen as a decoy were US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who the first source said was briefed on the maneuver; Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent; White House communications director Steven Cheung; and a number of other aides plus the typical 13-person press pool that included a Reuters correspondent and photographer.

White House deputy chief of staff Dan Scavino, executive assistant Natalie Harp and director of Oval Office operations Walt Nauta made the move in the catering truck with Trump, the source said.

Some media commentators ⁠and lawmakers have questioned whether the operation left Trump’s aides and journalists traveling with him at risk aboard the plane presumed to be carrying the ​President.

The first source said it was determined that it was in Trump’s best interests to keep the ruse secret as hostilities escalated with Iran, which borders Turkey.

Turkish officials did not immediately comment on the threat. – Rappler.com

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Deadly heatwave sweeps South Korea, claims 16 live…

    SEOUL: South Korea is grappling with one of the most intense heatwaves in its recorded history, with at least 16 people losing their lives and more than 2,000 others suffering from heat-related illnesses as extreme temperatures continue to grip the country. According to South Korean authorities, the nation recently recorded its highest temperature in 122 years of weather observations, with the southern city of Yangsan reaching a scorching 42.5°C. For the first time, officials have issued an extreme heat warning for the capital, Seoul, highlighting the severity of the ongoing weather conditions. President Lee Jae Myung has instructed government agencies to step up emergency measures to protect vulnerable groups, including the elderly, outdoor workers, and people with underlying health conditions. He also directed officials to closely monitor the country’s electricity supply as soaring demand for cooling systems places added pressure on the power grid. Climate experts say the unprecedented heat is being driven by a combination of persistent high-pressure weather systems and the growing impact of climate change, which has intensified extreme weather events across the region. Authorities continue to urge residents to limit outdoor activities, stay hydrated, and take precautions as the record-breaking heatwave shows little sign of easing.

  • | |

    Hackers target Wall Street firms in phone-based cy…

    NEW YORK: Hackers seeking ransom have targeted dozens of major US financial institutions and businesses using a surprisingly simple tactic — posing as IT help desk employees and tricking staff into handing over passwords and authentication codes. According to Google and internet intelligence data reviewed by Reuters, the campaign targeted prominent private equity and financial firms, including Blackstone, Bridgewater Associates, Apollo Global Management, Bain Capital, KKR, TPG, CME Group, Clearlake Capital and Moody’s. Google said the cybercriminals operate under several names, including Redact, Pink, Falcon and Helix. The technology giant said some companies targeted during the campaign had paid ransoms, although it did not identify those businesses. Reuters was also unable to determine which companies were successfully compromised. The hackers reportedly created websites designed specifically for individual companies. Employees were then contacted by phone, sometimes through calls that appeared to originate from their organisation’s legitimate IT help desk. The attackers allegedly told employees that they needed to urgently update their passkeys or multifactor authentication credentials. Victims were then directed to malicious websites using names designed to look legitimate, such as those containing phrases like “passkey helpdesk” or “secure passkey”. Once an employee entered their credentials, the hackers could obtain an authentication code in real time, allowing them to take control of the account while remaining on the phone with the victim. Austin Larsen, a principal threat analyst with Google’s Threat Intelligence Group, said the technique was not especially sophisticated but remained highly effective. Cybersecurity experts said the campaign demonstrates that human behaviour remains one of the biggest vulnerabilities for even heavily protected organisations. Lee Clark of the Retail and Hospitality ISAC compared the tactic to persuading a security guard to open a heavily protected gate. Google said the attackers had increasingly focused on private equity firms, law firms and financial ratings agencies because they may hold sensitive information that companies would be willing to protect through ransom payments. Reuters identified 72 malicious websites listed in Google’s report and linked several of them to specific companies using internet intelligence platforms. Google cautioned that while the infrastructure indicated attempted intrusions, not every attack was necessarily successful. The campaign appears to have affected a broader range of industries. Data reviewed by Reuters showed that hackers created digital traps targeting more than 200 companies during a five-week period, including Uber, Zillow and Levi Strauss, along with law firms such as Paul Hastings and Greenberg Traurig. The hacking group’s shifting aliases have also complicated efforts to identify those behind the attacks. Google said the various names appeared connected through shared infrastructure, but acknowledged that important questions about the hackers’ identities and relationships remain unanswered. The latest campaign has heightened concern across Wall Street, highlighting how convincing phone calls and basic social engineering can bypass sophisticated cybersecurity systems and expose highly valuable corporate accounts.

  • |

    Typhoon Dolphin hits China

    Typhoon Dolphin made landfall in eastern China’s Zhejiang province on Sunday, bringing powerful winds and heavy rain after authorities issued the country’s highest-level typhoon warning. China’s National Meteorological Centre said the storm reached the coast near Yuhuan City at around 5:30pm local time, with winds exceeding 150 kilometres per hour. The typhoon disrupted air and sea travel across the region. Nearly 1,400 flights at Shanghai’s two main airports were cancelled, while Hangzhou airport reported another 270 cancellations. Authorities also suspended more than 200 ferry routes in Zhejiang and Fujian. China evacuated nearly 99,000 people from high-risk areas in Fujian ahead of the storm. Officials also suspended work and transport services in several locations along the typhoon’s expected path. The storm affected neighbouring areas as well. Taiwan cancelled more than 180 flights and suspended dozens of ferry services after heavy rain and strong winds hit the north. In Japan’s Okinawa, seven people suffered minor injuries, while more than 5,000 households lost electricity. Hong Kong also experienced unusually high temperatures. The Hong Kong Observatory recorded 36.9°C and warned that hot weather could continue through Tuesday as warm air from the storm moved over the territory. The weather centre expects Typhoon Dolphin to weaken as it moves northwest across eastern China. However, heavy rain could continue in Shanghai and parts of Zhejiang, Fujian, Anhui and Jiangsu through Monday.

  • | |

    Ship attacked near Strait of Hormuz

    A vessel came under attack by an unidentified projectile while sailing through the Strait of Hormuz near the coast of Oman, according to maritime security sources. The incident reportedly caused a fire in one section of the Liberia-flagged vessel. The crew attempted to bring the blaze under control, while authorities began assessing the situation and the extent of the damage. Maritime security sources said that one crew member went missing following the attack. The incident has raised fresh concerns about maritime safety in and around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important shipping routes. The latest incident comes as regional authorities continue efforts to maintain safe navigation through the waterway amid heightened security concerns. Meanwhile, Iran has confirmed that it is close to reaching an understanding with Oman on a new maritime arrangement for the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said talks with Oman have made progress and that both sides are working on establishing a temporary safe passage through the strategic waterway. Baghaei said discussions between Iran and Oman remain ongoing, with the two countries coordinating efforts to facilitate safer maritime movement through the Strait of Hormuz. The development comes at a sensitive time for commercial shipping in the region, with any disruption in the Strait of Hormuz carrying potential consequences for international trade and energy supplies.

  • |

    North Korea warns US nuclear strategy could trigger arms race

    PYONGYANG: North Korea has warned that a new nuclear strategy being considered by the United States could trigger a fresh global arms race and increase the risk of nuclear conflict. A spokesperson for North Korea’s Foreign Ministry criticised the proposed US nuclear policy and accused Washington of using nuclear weapons for strategic dominance and political and military objectives. The spokesperson described the reported US strategy as a serious and dangerous development. North Korea said the policy could undermine the existing nuclear balance and accelerate the development and deployment of nuclear weapons around the world. According to the North Korean statement, continued expansion of nuclear capabilities could push the international security environment closer to the threshold of nuclear war. However, US Deputy Secretary of Defense Elbridge Colby said on Thursday that he did not expect any major or fundamental changes in the nuclear strategy currently under consideration. North Korea also criticised planned joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea. It warned that it would exercise what it described as its right to self-defence in response to what it considers hostile military activities. A statement carried by North Korean state media said Pyongyang would not tolerate what it described as an increasingly confrontational situation created by hostile states. The United States and South Korea are scheduled to begin their joint military exercises on August 17. The drills are expected to continue until August 27. The exercises are also expected to take into account possible lessons from North Korea’s involvement in Russia’s war in Ukraine, particularly its military experience and battlefield capabilities. The latest warnings came after North Korea conducted its second missile test in less than a week. On Wednesday, Pyongyang launched a ballistic missile from its eastern coast towards the sea. Six days earlier, it had conducted another test involving a short-range missile. North Korea’s latest military activity comes amid continued tensions with Washington and Seoul. Diplomatic efforts to restart talks have so far failed to produce a breakthrough. According to reports, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has largely rejected recent calls for renewed diplomatic engagement with the United States and South Korea. Since the collapse of diplomatic efforts involving former US President Donald Trump in 2019, Kim has instead focused on strengthening North Korea’s nuclear and missile capabilities. Analysts believe Pyongyang could eventually use its expanding nuclear capabilities as leverage to seek concessions from Washington. These could include relief from international sanctions and other measures imposed on North Korea over its nuclear and missile programmes.

  • |

    Hong Kong records hottest day in more than 140 years 

      Hong Kong has experienced an unprecedented heatwave, with temperatures reaching a record high and breaking a more than 140-year-old temperature record. The city endured its hottest day on record as the Hong Kong Observatory recorded a scorching 36.9°C at its headquarters. The extraordinary heat was felt even more intensely in several parts of the region. In Sheung Shui, located in Hong Kong’s New Territories, temperatures climbed to an astonishing 39.8°C, highlighting the severity of the heatwave affecting the territory. According to reports,the extreme weather conditions were linked to subsiding air associated with Tropical Cyclone Dolphin. The atmospheric conditions caused temperatures to rise sharply across Hong Kong, producing exceptionally hot and humid weather. The new temperature record surpassed the previous official high of 36.6°C, which was recorded in August 2017 during the passage of Typhoon Hato. The latest reading therefore represents a significant increase and underscores the intensity of the current heat event. The Hong Kong Observatory serves as the city’s primary reference point for official temperature records. However, temperatures recorded in other areas demonstrate that some communities experienced considerably more severe conditions than the official citywide figure. The 39.8°C recorded in Sheung Shui is particularly notable and reflects the potentially dangerous conditions faced by residents in inland areas. Authorities have urged members of the public to remain cautious as the extreme temperatures continue. Residents have been advised to avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, remain hydrated and take appropriate measures to reduce the risk of heat-related illness. Vulnerable groups, including older people, children and those working outdoors, are particularly susceptible to the effects of extreme heat. Weather officials have warned that the intense heat is unlikely to disappear immediately. Forecasts indicate that the heatwave could continue for the next several days before changing weather conditions potentially bring some relief. Meteorological authorities are closely monitoring the situation as hot and humid conditions remain across the region. The record-breaking temperatures have also renewed concerns about the growing frequency and intensity of extreme heat events. Hong Kong is not alone in facing unusually high temperatures. Several countries across Asia, Europe and the Middle East have experienced severe heatwaves, with temperatures in some locations reaching between 40°C and 55°C. Scientists and climate experts have increasingly warned that extreme heat is becoming a major global environmental challenge. Rising temperatures can place additional pressure on healthcare systems, energy supplies and water resources while increasing risks to people who work or spend extended periods outdoors. Hong Kong’s latest record serves as another reminder of the changing climate and the growing threat posed by extreme weather. As heatwaves become more frequent and intense, authorities and communities are being encouraged to strengthen preparedness and public awareness. With temperatures expected to remain elevated in the coming days, residents across Hong Kong are being urged to follow official weather advisories and take precautions against prolonged heat exposure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *