vows unprecedented economic
| |

US vows unprecedented economic pressure on Iran

WASHINGTON: The United States hUS vows unprecedented economic pressure on Iranas warned that it will introduce an unprecedented package of economic measures against Iran as Washington prepares to intensify pressure on Tehran amid stalled ceasefire negotiations and rising tensions around the Strait of Hormuz.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said further announcements were expected next week, describing the planned measures as unlike anything previously used against a country facing economic isolation.

Bessent said the new strategy would combine tougher economic restrictions with continued efforts to prevent Iranian ports from receiving or sending goods. He indicated that Washington intended to use economic pressure alongside restrictions on maritime traffic through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, meanwhile, said the American military was capable of maintaining a naval presence in the region for an indefinite period to enforce the blockade. He said US naval vessels could be rotated in and out of the region to sustain the operation.

The confrontation comes as attempts to revive a ceasefire agreement have faltered. Iran has sought to use its position around the Strait of Hormuz as leverage against Washington, while the United States has continued to tighten economic pressure on Tehran.

The waterway has become a major flashpoint because of its importance to global energy supplies. Before the conflict began, roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments passed through the strait. Shipping activity has since fallen sharply, raising concerns over supplies, prices and the wider global economy.

Two vessels belonging to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company were also attacked while transiting the strait, according to the United Arab Emirates’ state news agency. The UAE government blamed Iran for the incident.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly claimed that Washington has control over the strategic waterway. Iran, however, has rejected that assertion and maintained that the strait will not fully reopen unless its demands are addressed. Tehran has called for the removal of economic sanctions and the release of frozen Iranian assets.

The prolonged confrontation is also putting pressure on the global energy market. The International Energy Agency has revised its forecast for global oil supply, warning that production could fall by about 4.3 million barrels per day this year.

Oil prices declined by more than 2% on Thursday as markets reacted to expectations of weaker demand and a rise in US crude inventories. However, renewed attacks in the region continued to fuel fears that the conflict could spread further.

The economic consequences are becoming increasingly serious. Economists have warned that a prolonged war could weaken global growth and increase the risk of recession in some economies.

Hegseth declined to say whether declaring a ceasefire earlier in the year had been a mistake. He said the administration remained focused on preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and insisted that the United States was taking the steps it considered necessary to achieve that objective.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Fazlur Rehman welcomes SC order for Imran’s hosp…

    Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has welcomed the Supreme Court’s decision to transfer Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan to hospital. Speaking to reporters outside Parliament, Fazlur Rehman described the decision as a positive development. He said the hospital transfer should have been ordered much earlier. The JUI-F chief said the current political situation in the country should be assessed carefully before drawing conclusions. He also called for issues concerning the provinces to be discussed openly rather than reduced to simple political positions. Fazlur Rehman said the opposition had an important responsibility in a parliamentary system. He said opposition parties should identify weaknesses and shortcomings in government policies. He stressed that debates on provincial matters should focus on both principles and practical realities. According to him, political issues require serious discussion instead of being viewed only through the lens of support or opposition. The JUI-F chief also criticised what he described as a tendency in journalism to divide every issue into opposing camps. He said drawing a rigid line between supporting and opposing a position had contributed to worsening national problems. His remarks came after the Supreme Court ordered Imran Khan’s transfer to Shifa International Hospital for medical treatment. The court also directed authorities to facilitate regular meetings between Imran and his family. The ruling has been welcomed by several political figures, including members of the opposition. The court has also ordered the formation of a medical board to assess Imran’s condition and directed that his personal physician be given access.

  • |

    Ireland withdraws support for Infantino as FIFA pressure mounts

    The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has withdrawn its previous support for Gianni Infantino’s bid to remain FIFA president, adding to growing pressure on the football governing body’s leadership. The FAI confirmed the decision after a board meeting and said it had formally written to FIFA to explain why it was rescinding a letter of support issued earlier this year. The association cited concerns over governance, transparency and the lack of meaningful consultation. The decision comes amid a widening dispute over FIFA’s leadership and a controversial proposal involving the commercial rights of the World Cup. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have criticised Infantino’s handling of the issue, accusing FIFA of a serious breakdown in trust. Ireland’s move represents another setback for Infantino as he seeks another term in office at the FIFA presidential election scheduled for March 2027. New Zealand has also withdrawn its backing, while several European associations have publicly opposed Infantino’s leadership. Northern Ireland’s football association, meanwhile, has backed UEFA’s position and said it would continue engaging on issues related to football governance. The contrasting positions on the island underline the wider divisions emerging within international football. Despite the growing opposition, Infantino retains support from several influential football bodies, including the African confederation and a number of Arab football associations. The FIFA presidency therefore remains a closely contested political battle rather than a settled outcome. With more national associations reassessing their positions, the dispute is expected to remain a major issue ahead of the 2027 FIFA election. Ireland’s decision further highlights the mounting calls for greater transparency, consultation and accountability in the governance of world football.

  • |

    Lucas Digne returns to PSG in three-year deal

    Paris Saint-Germain have completed the signing of France international left-back Lucas Digne from Aston Villa, bringing the experienced defender back to the club more than a decade after his first spell in Paris. The 33-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the French champions. PSG activated Digne’s release clause, with reports putting the transfer fee at around £8.5 million ($11.5m). Digne’s return marks an intriguing new chapter in a career that has taken him across some of Europe’s biggest clubs. He initially joined PSG in 2013 and made 44 appearances before moving on. He subsequently spent time at Roma, Barcelona and Everton before establishing himself as an important figure at Aston Villa. His spell in England ended on a high note. Digne played a significant role in Villa’s successful 2025-26 campaign, helping the club lift the Europa League under manager Unai Emery. The move also comes after an impressive international period. Digne earned his place as France’s preferred left-back during the knockout stages of the 2026 World Cup and now arrives in Paris with 64 international caps to his name. For Digne, the transfer is more than simply another move. Returning to his hometown club gives him an opportunity to finish another chapter of his career at a club that has transformed dramatically since his first departure. “I am very honoured to be returning to Paris Saint-Germain,” Digne said, adding that he was impressed by the club’s development and eager to bring his experience to the team. At PSG, Digne is expected to provide experienced competition and cover for first-choice left-back Nuno Mendes. His versatility, international experience and familiarity with the club could make him a valuable squad player. The storyline could become even more compelling this week, with PSG scheduled to face Aston Villa in the UEFA Super Cup on August 12. Digne could potentially make his PSG return against his former side. The reunion promises an unusual twist: Digne could soon find himself lining up against the club he has only just left.

  • | | |

    US General warns more warships are needed to defen…

    A senior US military commander has reportedly warned the Pentagon that without additional naval resources, the United States may be forced to prioritize its own national defense over the defense of Israel. The reported warning underscores the growing strain on American military capabilities amid the ongoing conflict involving Iran. According to a report by The Washington Post, General Alexus Grynkewich, the top US military commander in Europe, informed Pentagon officials this week that the number of US Navy destroyers currently available is insufficient to continue defending Israel against ballistic missile threats while maintaining broader US security commitments. The report states that General Grynkewich submitted a written assessment to senior Pentagon leaders, warning that unless another guided-missile destroyer is assigned to his command, he may have no choice but to give priority to defending the United States rather than supporting Israel’s missile defense. US defense officials quoted in the report said the message reflects a long-standing military practice in which commanders notify the Pentagon when operational demands begin to exceed available resources. Such assessments are intended to help civilian and military leaders make decisions about force allocation and strategic priorities. The reported warning comes as the conflict involving Iran has placed increasing pressure on US military assets over the past several months. Continuous naval operations, missile defense missions, and regional security responsibilities have stretched the availability of key warships and other defense resources. US Navy destroyers stationed in the eastern Mediterranean have played a significant role in supporting Israel’s defense by helping intercept ballistic missiles and other aerial threats. Equipped with advanced radar systems and missile defense capabilities, these vessels have also been used to counter attacks launched by Iran-backed Houthi forces operating from Yemen. The report noted that US European Command is responsible for coordinating military operations across Europe and the Mediterranean while also maintaining readiness to respond to potential security challenges involving NATO allies. Balancing these commitments with operations in the Middle East has become increasingly difficult as demand for naval assets continues to grow. Despite plans to expand the US naval presence in Europe with an additional destroyer later this year, officials reportedly remain concerned about maintenance requirements and operational fatigue affecting the existing fleet. The report also said additional US naval forces, including aircraft carriers and multiple destroyers, remain deployed in the Arabian Sea and the Red Sea to support regional operations and safeguard commercial shipping routes. The reported warning highlights the strategic challenges facing US defense planners as they seek to balance commitments to allies with broader national security priorities amid rising tensions in the Middle East

  • |

    Nine-member team conquers 6,050m Thalo Zom

    PESHAWAR: A nine-member mountaineering team has successfully climbed the 6,050-metre Thalo Zom peak in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. The achievement is being seen as an important milestone for mountaineering and adventure tourism in the province. The team completed the difficult expedition after spending eight days on challenging mountain routes. The Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Tourism Authority said Thalo Zom is one of the most difficult and less frequently climbed peaks in the Hindu Kush mountain range. Its difficult terrain makes the climb demanding even for experienced mountaineers. The expedition started on July 9. The team continued its journey through difficult mountainous terrain before reaching the summit on July 17. After reaching the top, the mountaineers raised the national flag. The moment marked the successful completion of a challenging expedition in one of the region’s difficult mountain areas. The climbers had to pass through difficult routes in Kumrat and Chitral during the expedition. The journey involved steep and rugged terrain. The team also crossed glaciers and areas containing deep cracks in the ice. Glacial crevasses can make high-altitude expeditions particularly dangerous. Mountaineers must carefully choose their routes while crossing such areas. The difficult conditions required careful planning and sustained effort from the team. The eight-day expedition tested the climbers as they moved through remote and challenging parts of the Hindu Kush. The successful ascent also highlights the potential of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa for adventure tourism. The province is home to several high-altitude mountains and remote valleys. The region’s mountainous landscape attracts climbers and adventure enthusiasts. However, many peaks remain difficult to access because of their rugged terrain and limited routes. The Tourism Authority said Thalo Zom has a notable history in international mountaineering. Australian climbers first reached the summit in 1971. The peak was climbed again in 2019 by Italian mountaineers. The latest expedition adds another successful ascent to the mountain’s history. The achievement also draws attention to the broader tourism potential of Kumrat and Chitral. Both areas are known for their mountainous landscapes and challenging terrain. Successful mountaineering expeditions can help promote lesser-known destinations among domestic and international adventure tourists. They can also bring greater attention to the natural attractions of the province. The latest climb demonstrates the determination and endurance required to reach high-altitude peaks. The team had to overcome glaciers, steep routes and dangerous ice formations during the journey. The successful ascent of Thalo Zom is therefore more than a mountaineering achievement. It also showcases the natural beauty and adventure tourism potential of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.

  • |

    Shaheen, Naseem should play more domestic cricket, Usman Shinwari

    Former Pakistan fast bowler Usman Shinwari has urged Shaheen Shah Afridi and Naseem Shah to play more domestic and first-class cricket, arguing that regular competitive cricket can help the two premier pacers maintain their pace, fitness and longevity. Speaking to the media, Shinwari said Pakistan has traditionally placed too much emphasis on bowling speed, often overlooking the impact of workload and continuous cricket on a fast bowler’s body. “Even if your fitness is like Cristiano Ronaldo’s, bowling continuously can eventually affect your pace,” he said. Shinwari described Shaheen and Naseem as outstanding bowlers and said he was not in a position to offer them personal advice. However, he stressed that playing selected domestic cricket could help them retain their rhythm and speed while reducing the risk of injuries. The former pacer also discussed Pakistan’s upcoming challenges in England, saying tours of the country have historically been difficult for Pakistan. He believes the team can still produce a strong series if it carries its current momentum forward. Reflecting on Pakistan’s recent Test performances against the West Indies, Shinwari said the team’s first-match performance was disappointing but praised the side for making a strong comeback in the second Test. He emphasised the importance of consistency, saying better continuity within the team would ultimately produce better results. Shinwari also backed the decision to restore Babar Azam to the Test captaincy, describing it as a positive move and saying Babar has the ability to lead Pakistan in the longest format. Another major point raised by Shinwari was Pakistan’s approach to selecting players across different opponents. He argued that the same combination should not automatically be used against teams with vastly different playing conditions and strengths. Discussing Mohammad Abbas, Shinwari questioned the excessive focus on speed. He noted that Abbas had taken eight wickets at around 125kph in a recent match, arguing that the pacer’s best years were affected because too much importance had been attached to increasing his pace. “Speed is important, but it should not be given excessive importance,” he said. On Ihsanullah, Shinwari said the fast bowler had expressed grievances and suggested that his disciplinary issues should be addressed. Despite his experience, Shinwari made it clear that he has no plans to become Pakistan’s national team coach. He argued that coaches, like players, should progress through a structured system rather than being appointed directly to the national side. His comments have once again highlighted the debate over workload management, pace, domestic cricket and long-term planning in Pakistan’s fast-bowling system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *