vows unprecedented economic
| |

US vows unprecedented economic pressure on Iran

WASHINGTON: The United States hUS vows unprecedented economic pressure on Iranas warned that it will introduce an unprecedented package of economic measures against Iran as Washington prepares to intensify pressure on Tehran amid stalled ceasefire negotiations and rising tensions around the Strait of Hormuz.

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said further announcements were expected next week, describing the planned measures as unlike anything previously used against a country facing economic isolation.

Bessent said the new strategy would combine tougher economic restrictions with continued efforts to prevent Iranian ports from receiving or sending goods. He indicated that Washington intended to use economic pressure alongside restrictions on maritime traffic through the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, meanwhile, said the American military was capable of maintaining a naval presence in the region for an indefinite period to enforce the blockade. He said US naval vessels could be rotated in and out of the region to sustain the operation.

The confrontation comes as attempts to revive a ceasefire agreement have faltered. Iran has sought to use its position around the Strait of Hormuz as leverage against Washington, while the United States has continued to tighten economic pressure on Tehran.

The waterway has become a major flashpoint because of its importance to global energy supplies. Before the conflict began, roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments passed through the strait. Shipping activity has since fallen sharply, raising concerns over supplies, prices and the wider global economy.

Two vessels belonging to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company were also attacked while transiting the strait, according to the United Arab Emirates’ state news agency. The UAE government blamed Iran for the incident.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly claimed that Washington has control over the strategic waterway. Iran, however, has rejected that assertion and maintained that the strait will not fully reopen unless its demands are addressed. Tehran has called for the removal of economic sanctions and the release of frozen Iranian assets.

The prolonged confrontation is also putting pressure on the global energy market. The International Energy Agency has revised its forecast for global oil supply, warning that production could fall by about 4.3 million barrels per day this year.

Oil prices declined by more than 2% on Thursday as markets reacted to expectations of weaker demand and a rise in US crude inventories. However, renewed attacks in the region continued to fuel fears that the conflict could spread further.

The economic consequences are becoming increasingly serious. Economists have warned that a prolonged war could weaken global growth and increase the risk of recession in some economies.

Hegseth declined to say whether declaring a ceasefire earlier in the year had been a mistake. He said the administration remained focused on preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and insisted that the United States was taking the steps it considered necessary to achieve that objective.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Katie Price shares joyful update after welcoming a…

    Katie Price has shared a heartwarming update with fans after welcoming a new litter of hairless kittens, bringing a happier chapter following the heartbreak she has previously experienced with the loss of several beloved pets. The former glamour model took to Instagram over the weekend to introduce the newest members of her family. In a series of sweet videos, Price showed her hairless Sphynx cat caring for her newborn kittens as they rested together in a cozy pet bed. At least four tiny kittens could be seen feeding while their mother remained close, and Price gently stroked them as she admired the growing feline family. The television personality appeared delighted by the arrival of the kittens, sharing the precious moments with her followers. The clips quickly attracted attention from animal lovers, with many fans leaving messages of congratulations and commenting on how peaceful and adorable the newborn kittens looked. The joyful update comes after Price has endured years of emotional loss involving her pets. She has previously spoken openly about the sadness of losing several animals, with some of their deaths sparking public criticism and concern from animal welfare campaigners. Despite the difficult moments, Price has continued to express her love for animals and often shares updates about the pets living at her home. Her latest social media posts reflect a more positive chapter, with the newborn kittens bringing excitement to the household.t days of life. Fans praised the touching scenes, saying the kittens looked healthy and content as they cuddled together. Price has long been known for her affection for animals and has cared for a variety of pets over the years, including dogs, horses and cats. Her Sphynx cats, recognized for their distinctive hairless appearance and affectionate personalities, have frequently appeared on her social media platforms, giving followers a glimpse into her life away from television. The arrival of the kittens has also sparked interest among fans who have followed Price’s journey as a pet owner. Many expressed hope that the new additions would bring happiness after the challenges she has faced in recent years. For Katie Price, the birth of the litter represents more than just welcoming new pets. It marks a fresh beginning filled with hope and joy. As the kittens continue to grow under the care of their mother, Price has given fans an uplifting look at a special family moment, reminding followers that even after difficult times, new life can bring comfort, happiness and a reason to smile once again.

  • |

    Pakistan Stock Exchange ends week lower as KSE-100 falls 1,325 points

    The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) witnessed a relatively volatile trading week, with the benchmark KSE-100 Index ending lower after losing 1,325 points over the five trading sessions. The benchmark index settled at 180,104 points at the close of the week, compared with its previous level, reflecting a decline in investor sentiment and selling pressure across the market. During the week, the KSE-100 Index moved within a range of 2,568 points. The index touched a weekly high of 182,347 points, while its lowest level stood at 179,778 points, highlighting fluctuations in trading activity throughout the period. Despite the overall decline in the benchmark, trading activity remained substantial. A total of approximately 3.41 billion shares changed hands during the week, with the combined traded value reaching around Rs152 billion. The market’s overall capitalization also came under pressure during the reporting period. According to the weekly market data, total market capitalization declined by approximately Rs107 billion, falling to Rs20.13 trillion. Market participants continued to monitor developments affecting domestic economic conditions, investor confidence and broader market sentiment. The movement in the benchmark index reflected a cautious approach among investors, with fluctuations in buying and selling activity contributing to the week’s overall performance. The decline in the KSE-100 Index comes despite continued interest in equities, as investors assessed market valuations and economic indicators while keeping a close watch on developments that could influence the direction of the stock market in the coming sessions.

  • | |

    Ducky Bhai urges parents to monitor children’s online content

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistani YouTuber Saadur Rehman, popularly known as Ducky Bhai, has urged parents to take greater responsibility for monitoring their children’s online activities. Speaking during a recent podcast, the content creator responded to criticism directed at YouTubers when children develop what parents consider inappropriate habits. Ducky Bhai said parents should decide what their children watch online. He argued that children are not required to watch any particular YouTuber and that parents have the ability to restrict or monitor their access to digital content. He recalled the restrictions placed on him by his own parents during his childhood. According to the YouTuber, his father closely monitored his computer use and used parental-control software to track the websites and content he accessed. Ducky Bhai said his parents also linked access to games and other forms of entertainment with his academic performance. He used the example to argue that parents today can similarly establish rules for their children’s use of phones, tablets and computers. He also stressed that YouTube should not be treated like a school or an educational requirement. He said viewers have the choice to watch his content or avoid it. The YouTuber also discussed his experience of spending around three months in jail in connection with allegations involving an online gambling application. Ducky Bhai was granted bail in November 2025 after spending approximately 100 days at Camp Jail in Lahore. Reflecting on the experience, he described his time in custody as extremely difficult. He said the limited space and isolation made the period particularly challenging. He recalled being unable to move freely or access recreational facilities available in other parts of the prison. According to Ducky Bhai, prisoners in other areas could spend time outdoors, play sports and use recreational facilities. He said he was not permitted to visit the prison library but requested books during his detention. He also revealed that he began reading newspapers for the first time during his imprisonment. The YouTuber said his time in custody also separated him from the public reaction to his case. He explained that social media feeds generally show recent content, making it difficult to find older posts and determine who had supported or criticised him during his imprisonment. Ducky Bhai also commented on controversies involving fellow content creator Rajab Butt. He suggested that personal disputes should be addressed quickly and privately before they become larger public controversies. He said family elders could play an important role in resolving such disputes. Drawing from his own experience, he said his time in jail made him realise how deeply a public controversy can affect a creator’s family.

  • | | |

    Ministers seek PM’s approval for prices of 52 vi…

    ISLAMABAD: The federal health ministry has sought an urgent meeting with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to obtain approval for the pricing of 52 newly registered life-saving medicines. Health Minister Syed Mustafa Kamal and Finance Minister Senator Muhammad Aurangzeb are expected to attend the meeting along with Federal Health Secretary Muhammad Aslam Ghauri and Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan (DRAP) Chief Executive Officer Dr Obaidullah. Officials said the health ministry has contacted the prime minister’s adviser, Tauqeer Shah, requesting an early appointment for the delegation. The Cabinet Committee on Drug Pricing had already approved prices for the 52 medicines during its meeting on July 24. However, the medicines cannot be legally marketed in Pakistan until the federal cabinet gives its final approval. After cabinet approval, DRAP will be able to issue notifications fixing the maximum retail prices of the medicines, allowing pharmaceutical companies to formally launch the products in the regulated market. Health ministry officials said the proposed meeting with the prime minister is aimed at obtaining his support for placing the pricing decision before the federal cabinet at the earliest. The delegation is also expected to raise the issue of hardship cases involving several essential medicines. Manufacturers and importers of these medicines have requested price adjustments, arguing that continued production or imports at the existing prices have become increasingly difficult. A senior health ministry official said the government was concerned because several registered medicines remained unavailable in the regulated market despite their prices having been approved by the drug pricing committee. The official said the delegation would brief the prime minister on the situation and seek immediate action to prevent further shortages. Among the medicines facing supply pressure are essential products such as influenza vaccines and morphine used in cancer treatment, along with other drugs whose manufacturers have reported difficulties in maintaining supplies at existing prices. The Cabinet Committee on Drug Pricing, chaired by Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb, approved the 52 pricing cases after reviewing recommendations submitted by DRAP’s Drug Pricing Committee and Policy Board. All 52 cases forwarded by the Drug Pricing Committee and endorsed by the DRAP Policy Board were approved by the cabinet committee. However, the committee’s decision is not the final step in the process. The federal cabinet must endorse the recommendations before DRAP can officially notify the maximum retail prices. The medicines covered by the proposed pricing decision are used to treat a range of serious and chronic conditions. They include medicines for cancer, diabetes, haemophilia, Parkinson’s disease, autoimmune disorders, blood-clotting conditions and severe infections. Some are also used in intensive-care units and emergency treatment. Officials believe timely approval could help bring the newly registered medicines into the regulated market and improve availability for patients requiring specialised treatment.

  • | |

    Iran, Oman reach deal on Strait of Hormuz shipping routes

    Iran and Oman have reached an agreement on a proposed shipping route map for the strategically important Strait of Hormuz following weeks of technical negotiations, Iranian officials said on Saturday. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said the two countries had made significant progress in talks aimed at establishing safer navigation routes through the waterway. The negotiations began around three months ago under an agreement signed in June. Baghaei said the proposed route was developed through coordination between Iran’s foreign ministry and its defence, security and environmental authorities. He added that Tehran and Muscat were still discussing some remaining issues, including the wording of a joint statement. The spokesman stressed that the arrangement was a bilateral agreement between Iran and Oman and was intended to facilitate the safe movement of commercial vessels while respecting the sovereignty of both countries. However, Tehran has made clear that the full restoration of normal shipping through the Strait of Hormuz depends on broader developments involving the United States. Baghaei said Iran wanted an end to what it described as US military threats, naval restrictions and violations of previous commitments before normal commercial traffic could fully resume. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi separately said negotiations with Oman over the waterway were continuing. He described the discussions as separate from the wider diplomatic dispute between Tehran and Washington. Araghchi also rejected the description of an earlier agreement as a simple 60-day ceasefire. He said the understanding was aimed at ending the war, while the 60-day period was intended for negotiations toward a final settlement. He said Qatar and Pakistan were continuing to exchange messages with Iran but stressed that Tehran had not yet decided to resume direct negotiations with Washington. Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also rejected claims that the United States could take control of the Strait of Hormuz. He said Iran remained in charge of decisions concerning the waterway and dismissed statements suggesting that the strait could become US territory. The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world’s most important energy corridors, connecting the Persian Gulf with the Gulf of Oman. A prolonged disruption to shipping through the waterway has raised concerns over global energy supplies and fuel prices. The latest developments come amid continuing tensions between Iran, the United States and Israel. Shipping through the strait remains significantly below normal levels, while diplomatic efforts to end the wider conflict have yet to produce a lasting settlement. US President Donald Trump has meanwhile urged Americans to accept higher fuel prices while the conflict continues, arguing that confronting Iran was necessary to prevent it from obtaining a nuclear weapon. The dispute has already pushed global oil prices higher, while rising fuel costs in the United States have added to inflationary pressures.

  • | |

    AI-generated Independence Day song released by Pla…

    ISLAMABAD: An AI-generated Independence Day song released by Pakistan’s Ministry of Planning, Development and Special Initiatives has sparked widespread debate, with critics questioning the government’s decision to rely on artificial intelligence instead of showcasing the country’s creative talent. The song, shared by Federal Minister for Planning Ahsan Iqbal on social media, is dedicated to Pakistan’s youth and draws inspiration from the poetry and philosophy of Allama Muhammad Iqbal, particularly the themes of Khudi (selfhood) and the Shaheen (eagle), symbols of confidence, resilience, and ambition. In his message accompanying the release, Ahsan Iqbal said Pakistan’s future depends on a generation of young people who embrace knowledge, innovation, entrepreneurship, and hard work. He described the song as part of the government’s URAAN Pakistan initiative, which promotes reforms and development projects under the country’s 5Es National Economic Transformation Plan. Despite its patriotic message, the AI-produced music video has drawn criticism from artists, commentators, and social media users, many of whom argue that the government missed an opportunity to support Pakistan’s musicians, composers, filmmakers, and other creative professionals. Critics say that celebrating Independence Day with an AI-generated production sends the wrong message at a time when local artists continue to seek greater recognition and opportunities. The release has also reignited broader discussions about the growing use of artificial intelligence in the creative industry. Many artists around the world have voiced concerns that AI-generated content could reduce opportunities for writers, musicians, actors, and visual creators while raising questions about copyright, digital identity, and fair compensation. In Pakistan, similar concerns have emerged in recent months as actors and performers have warned about contracts involving AI-generated digital replicas and voice cloning. Industry professionals argue that stronger safeguards are needed to protect artists from unauthorized use of their work and likeness. The Planning Ministry’s latest campaign has therefore become more than just an Independence Day release. It has evolved into a wider conversation about the balance between embracing new technology and preserving the value of human creativity, with many calling for future national campaigns to highlight the work of Pakistan’s own artists alongside technological innovation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *