plans sweeping new
|

EU plans sweeping new sanctions against Russia

European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas is preparing a major new sanctions package targeting Russia, describing it as potentially the bloc’s most extensive list since the war in Ukraine began.

In an interview with German newspaper Welt, Kallas said she plans to present the proposed measures in the coming months. She said that if the package is approved, the number of sanctioned Russian individuals, companies and organisations could rise by about one-third.

Kallas argued that continued pressure on Moscow was necessary and welcomed signs of closer coordination between the European Union and the United States. She pointed to the US Senate’s approval of a sanctions bill earlier this month as a development that could bring Washington and European capitals closer on Russia policy.

The EU foreign policy chief also warned of what she described as a growing hybrid threat facing Europe. She cited alleged incidents involving sabotage, espionage and cyberattacks, which she said were frequently linked to Russia.

Kallas also referred to recent reports of Russian missiles and drones entering the airspace of Poland and Romania. She said such incidents should not be treated lightly, arguing that Moscow was testing the readiness and defensive capabilities of European countries.

She welcomed Germany’s plans to reform its intelligence services, saying stronger intelligence capabilities would be important in responding to emerging hybrid security threats.

Kallas also discussed diplomatic efforts involving the United States and Iran. She said negotiations aimed at resolving tensions were continuing but warned that their outcome remained uncertain because of a lack of trust between the two sides.

She highlighted the economic consequences of the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global energy and maritime trade. Kallas said freedom of navigation should remain unrestricted and argued that reopening the waterway should be treated as a priority.

She also said efforts to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons should remain an important part of the international agenda.

On the Israel-Palestine conflict, Kallas reiterated the European Union’s support for a two-state solution, describing it as the only viable long-term framework for allowing Israelis and Palestinians to live securely alongside each other.

She said EU missions were continuing efforts to preserve the possibility of such a settlement and suggested that a US-backed Gaza peace initiative could provide an opportunity for progress.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi announces names of four women’s teams for CM Punjab Champions League

    The number of women’s teams to be enhanced in the next edition of CM Punjab Champions League: Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi LAHORE (July 22, 2026): Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi has announced the names of four women’s teams that will compete in the upcoming CM Punjab Champions League. He made this announcement while addressing a high-level meeting at National Hockey Stadium on Wednesday. The meeting was attended by Punjab University Director Sports Shabbir Sarwar, Lahore College for Women University Director Sports Sumaira Sattar, Kinnaird College representative Nazish, Deputy Director Zahoor Ahmad, University of Lahore representatives Javed and Irfanullah, along with other officials. The key meeting was convened to review the preparations for the mega tournament. Former Pakistan women’s cricket team captain Nida Dar attended the meeting and briefed the participants on arrangements and preparations for the women’s competitions. Addressing the meeting, Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi informed that the four participating women’s cricket teams are – Cholistan Champions, Potohar Pride, Chenab Challengers and Indus Invincibles. “CM Punjab Champions League will provide a suitable platform to talented female cricketers to demonstrate their cricketing potential”. Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi said the CM Punjab Champions League matches of women cricket teams will be organized at Nawab Town Cricket Stadium while men’s 12 teams will play their matches at the LCCA Ground, Ashiana Cricket Stadium, Garhi Shahu Railway Ground and Gaddafi Stadium from August 3 to 9. Director General Sports Punjab Muhammad Tariq Qureshi said that the number of participating women’s teams would be enhanced in the next edition of the CM Punjab Champions League. “We are quite confident that the CM Punjab Champions League would help a lot in identifying highly talented young women cricketers.”

  • | | |

    US, China, Russia hail Pakistan on Independence Da…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan received warm Independence Day greetings from the United States, China, Russia, the European Union and several other countries on Friday, as the nation marked its 79th Independence Day with ceremonies, prayers and patriotic celebrations. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio congratulated the people of Pakistan on behalf of the United States and highlighted the growing cooperation between the two countries. He said Washington and Islamabad were working together in areas including trade and investment, energy, critical minerals, counterterrorism, cultural heritage and regional mediation. Rubio said the two countries were turning their shared capabilities into practical progress and reaffirmed the longstanding friendship between the American and Pakistani peoples. He also expressed confidence that bilateral cooperation would continue to expand. Russian President Vladimir Putin also conveyed his greetings to President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif. He said relations between Moscow and Islamabad were developing positively, with both sides cooperating in political, economic, trade and humanitarian fields. Putin said Russia and Pakistan were also working together on important regional and international matters. He expressed confidence that the two countries would continue strengthening their partnership in the interests of their peoples and international stability, while wishing Pakistan peace and prosperity. China also extended its traditional goodwill to Pakistan. Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan Jiang Zaidong conveyed congratulations to the Pakistani leadership and people, reaffirming the close and longstanding relationship between the two countries. The European Union congratulated Pakistan on its 79th Independence Day and described the occasion as a celebration of unity, freedom and national solidarity. The bloc also expressed its commitment to further strengthening its friendship and partnership with Islamabad. France similarly conveyed its greetings to the Pakistani people and expressed its desire to deepen bilateral cooperation across areas of mutual interest. Azerbaijan also extended heartfelt wishes to Pakistan, describing the Pakistani people as brothers and reaffirming its friendly ties with the country. The United Kingdom sent Independence Day greetings to Pakistanis living in Pakistan, Britain and around the world, while Gulf countries also joined the celebrations. The United Arab Emirates conveyed congratulations to Pakistan’s leadership, while Qatar’s Amir sent greetings to President Asif Ali Zardari. Oman’s Sultan Haitham bin Tarik also sent a congratulatory message to the Pakistani president. Meanwhile, Pakistan marked the national day with traditional celebrations across the country. A 31-gun salute was held in Islamabad and 21-gun salutes were conducted at provincial headquarters. Special prayers were offered for the country’s peace, unity and prosperity. Flag-hoisting ceremonies were organised at government offices and public institutions, while streets, buildings and markets were decorated with national flags, buntings and lights. Pakistan’s embassies abroad also marked the occasion. The Pakistan Embassy in Tajikistan held a flag-hoisting ceremony where messages from the president, prime minister and deputy prime minister/foreign minister were read out.

  • | |

    ‘Fear and censorship cannot silence the public?…

    Lawyer and social activist Jibran Nasir has criticised the country’s political and economic situation, alleging that pressure, censorship and coercive measures have failed to change public opinion about PTI founder Imran Khan. Speaking to anchorperson Ameer Abbas, Nasir said authorities had been unable to alter public sentiment toward Imran Khan despite what he described as years of pressure and attempts to control political discourse. He argued that if public opinion had genuinely changed, millions of people would not have voted for Imran Khan and his political movement in the February 8 general elections. Nasir questioned how the authorities could claim to change broader public thinking about the economy, Constitution and rule of law when they had not been able to change people’s views about a single political leader. He also criticised what he described as restrictions on political expression and media freedom. Nasir alleged that force, state pressure, censorship and arrests were being used to control political developments. According to Nasir, suppressing criticism does not resolve underlying public grievances. He said people who speak about alleged injustices are sometimes portrayed as creating unrest rather than being allowed to raise their concerns. He warned that continued reliance on pressure could increase frustration among citizens instead of resolving political differences. Nasir further claimed that people were now more aware of political developments and could not easily be persuaded through fear or restrictions. He said arrests, cases and harsh measures had not succeeded in changing the position of a significant section of the public. The lawyer maintained that political issues could not be permanently controlled through force. He called for greater space for political expression and a process through which public grievances could be addressed. His comments come amid continued political tensions between the government and PTI. The party has repeatedly raised concerns over the treatment of its leadership, legal cases against its members and restrictions on political activities.

  • |

    Ertugrul star Celal Al confirms upcoming Pakistan visit for fans

    Turkish actor Celal Al, best known for portraying Abdur Rahman Alp in the globally popular historical drama Diriliş: Ertuğrul, has announced that he will soon visit Pakistan once again. The actor shared the exciting news through a heartfelt message on his Instagram Story, expressing his affection for his Pakistani fans and hinting at several surprises during his upcoming trip. In his message, Celal Al addressed his followers in Pakistan with warmth and gratitude, saying that he misses them dearly and looks forward to meeting them again. He revealed that he would soon be returning to Pakistan and promised to bring many surprises for his supporters. Asking fans if they were ready for the special reunion, the actor’s announcement quickly generated excitement among those who have followed his career for years. He concluded his message with the phrases “Dil Dil Pakistan” and “Jan Jan Türkiye,” reflecting the close cultural bond and friendship between the two countries. His words were warmly received by fans, many of whom expressed their eagerness to welcome him back. According to Celal Al, the visit is linked to his collaboration with a well-known Turkish brand. However, he did not disclose the name of the company or provide details about the partnership. He also refrained from announcing the exact dates of his Pakistan tour, leaving fans curious about the upcoming visit. Celal Al became a household name in Pakistan after Diriliş: Ertuğrul gained extraordinary popularity during the COVID-19 pandemic. The historical series attracted millions of Pakistani viewers, and his portrayal of the brave and loyal warrior Abdur Rahman Alp earned him widespread admiration. His previous visits to Pakistan also received an overwhelming response, with fans gathering in large numbers to meet the actor. Beyond Diriliş: Ertuğrul, Celal Al has built an impressive career in Turkish cinema and television. He appeared in the 2012 historical film Fetih 1453, which depicted the conquest of Constantinople. He has also served as a co-producer of the award-winning short film Zemberek, showcasing his contributions behind the camera as well. Apart from acting, Celal Al is actively involved in humanitarian work. He has participated in various charitable and relief initiatives, working with organizations such as the Turkish Red Crescent and other international aid groups. His commitment to social welfare, combined with his successful acting career, has helped him earn admiration not only in Türkiye but also among audiences around the world, particularly in Pakistan, where he continues to enjoy a loyal and passionate fan following.

  • |

    Campaigners demand UK tour cancellation over Jared Leto claims

    Women’s safety campaigners are urging organisers to cancel Thirty Seconds to Mars’ upcoming UK concerts. The calls follow serious allegations of criminal sexual conduct against frontman Jared Leto. A BBC investigation published last week featured accounts from four women accusing the musician and actor of sexual assault and grooming. The alleged incidents reportedly took place across the 2000s and 2010s. At the time, the women were teenagers while Leto was in his 30s and 40s. He is now 54 years old and strongly denies all the allegations against him. Leto’s band is currently set to perform at two major UK arenas next April, in London and Manchester. Both the End Violence Against Women coalition and domestic abuse charity Women’s Aid have voiced concern over the shows going ahead. A Women’s Aid spokesperson told BBC Newsbeat it was troubling that concerts platforming an alleged abuser were still being planned. The charity urged organisers to prioritise safety over profit rather than continue giving such figures a stage. Janaya Walker, interim director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, echoed that sentiment. She said the issue ultimately comes down to prioritising people, particularly women and girls, over commercial interests. Walker described the continued sale of tickets for the London and Manchester shows as deeply worrying. She warned it could cause real distress among survivors of gender-based violence, who may see coverage of the allegations followed by business proceeding as usual. Thirty Seconds to Mars, known for hits like “The Kill” and “This Is War,” was formed by Leto and his brother in the late 1990s. The band has since grown into a major international touring act. A related BBC documentary features former band associates describing discomfort around how Leto interacted with teenage girls backstage. One alleges young girls were regularly invited to meet him after concerts and at private residences. Among the accusers is a former model who says she felt compelled to lie about her age when meeting Leto at 19. She alleges a disturbing comment from Leto during a private encounter that followed. In total, ten women spoke to the BBC documentary, with nine sharing their accounts publicly for the first time. Leto did not respond to the BBC’s initial questions but later issued a firm denial, calling the accusations completely false.

  • |

    China rejects reports of Saindak project shutdown

    Islamabad:China has dismissed reports claiming that it has suspended operations or withdrawn investment from the Saindak Copper-Gold Project in Balochistan, reaffirming its commitment to the long-running mining venture. According to a spokesperson for Pakistan’s Ministry of Planning, the Chinese company operating the project continues its activities without interruption. The spokesperson said reports suggesting that China had halted work or decided to pull out of the project are false and do not reflect the actual situation. The ministry also revealed that a Chinese company recently visited Pakistan to assess investment opportunities for another major project. The delegation completed its feasibility study, highlighting China’s continued interest in expanding economic cooperation and investment in Pakistan. The Saindak Copper-Gold Project remains under the management of China Resource Development Limited, a subsidiary of the state-owned Metallurgical Corporation of China (MCC). The company renewed its lease for the project in 2022 and has continued mining and development work since then. Officials stressed that operations at the Saindak mine are proceeding as planned and rejected speculation about the project’s closure. They added that the project remains an important symbol of Pakistan-China economic cooperation and continues to contribute to the country’s mining sector and regional development.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *