japan earthquake disrupts
|

Japan earthquake disrupts auto and chip production as death toll rises to 34

A powerful earthquake that struck Japan’s Kumamoto region has killed at least 34 people and disrupted major manufacturing operations, exposing the continued vulnerability of the country’s industrial supply chains. The 7.1 magnitude quake damaged roads, interrupted essential services and forced several automobile and semiconductor companies to suspend production, raising concerns about delays across global supply networks.

The earthquake struck on Tuesday, causing widespread destruction in southern Japan. Thousands of households were left without basic utilities while damaged roads and transport links made it difficult for businesses to continue normal operations. Kumamoto is one of Japan’s most important manufacturing regions and plays a key role in producing vehicles, auto parts and semiconductors used around the world.

Toyota has temporarily suspended production at three factories in Fukuoka until August 5 because of concerns about employee safety and disruptions affecting suppliers and transport companies. The company has also decided to halt operations at one of its plants in Aichi, located more than 600 kilometres from the disaster zone, showing how shortages of essential components can quickly affect factories far from the earthquake’s epicentre.

One of Toyota’s major suppliers, Aisin, also suffered disruptions at its factory near the hardest hit area. The company manufactures engines, doors and other vehicle parts for Toyota, Nissan and Daihatsu. Aisin said it plans to restart production gradually after confirming that facilities are safe and product quality can be maintained. However, it has not announced when full operations will resume. Trucks carrying supplies, including portable toilets, were seen entering the factory as recovery work continued. Local businesses reported that water services had been interrupted although electricity remained available.

The latest disaster has revived memories of the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake, which caused severe damage to the same Aisin plant and forced Toyota to suspend production across Japan because of shortages of a critical door component. Industry officials said smaller suppliers further down the supply chain may also have been affected this time, increasing the risk of continued production delays.

Auto parts manufacturer Denso said one of its suppliers had already reported damage while several others were still assessing conditions. Nissan has suspended some production at its two vehicle plants in Kyushu because of delays in receiving parts. Mitsubishi Motors has also halted certain production lines at its factory in Okayama as the effects of the earthquake continue to spread through the manufacturing sector.

Kumamoto has also become one of Japan’s leading centres for semiconductor production in recent years. The region is often referred to as the country’s Silicon Valley because of its concentration of advanced chip manufacturers. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, the world’s largest contract chipmaker, evacuated workers from its Kumamoto plant immediately after the earthquake. The company later confirmed that operations had started to resume within a few hours.

Other semiconductor companies are expected to take longer to recover. Renesas said damage at one of its facilities included fallen ceiling panels, cracked walls and water leaks. The company plans to restart production in stages beginning on August 5. Tokyo Electron announced that it expects to resume production next week, while Sony said efforts are continuing to restore operations at its semiconductor factory in Kumamoto.

Although the number of deaths is lower than the more than 260 people killed in the 2016 earthquake, this disaster has still caused significant human and economic losses. Nearly half of the fatalities occurred inside commercial buildings. Nine people died when severe structural damage struck a Nippon Paper Industries mill near the epicentre. Another seven people lost their lives at an Aeon shopping mall where authorities believe a gas explosion occurred more than an hour after the initial earthquake. The disaster has once again highlighted the challenge Japan faces in protecting both its population and its globally important manufacturing industry from natural disasters.

Similar Posts

  • |

    ICC bans USA cricketer Akhilesh Reddy for eight years

    DUBAI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has imposed an eight-year ban on USA off-spinner B Akhilesh Reddy after he was found guilty of multiple breaches of the governing body’s Anti-Corruption Code linked to the 2025 Abu Dhabi T10 tournament. The 26-year-old cricketer, who represented Aspin Stallions during the competition, was charged following an investigation into alleged corrupt activities during the tournament. He had been provisionally suspended in November 2025 while the inquiry was underway. After a formal hearing, the ICC’s Anti-Corruption Tribunal concluded that Reddy had committed several serious offences under the Anti-Corruption Code. According to the ICC, Reddy was found guilty of attempting to improperly influence the outcome, progress or conduct of matches during the Abu Dhabi T10. He was also found to have encouraged another participant to engage in corrupt activities related to match-fixing. In addition, the tribunal ruled that the spinner obstructed the investigation by deleting data and messages from his mobile phone that could have been relevant to the anti-corruption inquiry. As a result of the findings, the ICC banned Reddy from all cricket-related activities for eight years. The sanction has been backdated to November 21, 2025, the date on which his provisional suspension first came into effect. Reddy made his international debut for the United States in April 2025 and went on to play four Twenty20 Internationals for the national team before his career was derailed by the corruption investigation. The case highlights the ICC’s continued efforts to protect the integrity of the sport through strict enforcement of its anti-corruption regulations. The governing body has repeatedly warned players at all levels that any involvement in match manipulation or attempts to obstruct investigations will result in severe penalties. The lengthy suspension effectively sidelines one of USA cricket’s emerging players for the remainder of the decade and serves as a strong reminder of cricket’s zero-tolerance approach to corruption. The ICC has reaffirmed its commitment to preserving the game’s credibility by taking firm action against anyone found guilty of breaching its anti-corruption code.

  • | |

    Five killed in Michigan shooting as suspect found …

    MICHIGAN: Five people were killed in a shooting in northern Michigan on Friday, while a suspected gunman was later found dead after police launched a manhunt, authorities said. Michigan State Police said troopers were dispatched at around 11:40am to a home in Missaukee County following reports of gunfire. Officers arriving at the scene discovered three people dead and a fourth victim seriously wounded. The injured person was taken to hospital and remained in critical condition, police said. Investigators identified the suspected shooter as 39-year-old Chad Hickman, who allegedly fled the area before officers arrived. His disappearance triggered an extensive search across the surrounding area as law enforcement teams worked to locate him. During the manhunt, investigators discovered another deceased victim at a second residence, bringing the reported death toll to five. Police later found Hickman’s vehicle near a wooded area close to Whitlock Lake. When officers searched the area, they found Hickman and another person dead, according to the state police statement. Authorities have not yet provided details about how Hickman or the other person died, and the circumstances surrounding the additional death remain under investigation. “This situation is heartbreaking for the community and challenging for the investigators involved,” Lieutenant Ashley Miller said in a statement cited by police. Police have withheld the names, ages and genders of the victims while officials work to notify their next of kin. The incident has left the northern Michigan community shaken as investigators continue examining the shooting, the second residence and the circumstances that led to the suspect’s death. Authorities are expected to release further information as the investigation progresses.

  • |

    MH370 families renew search for answers as Beijing court hears appeal

    Twelve years after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 disappeared without a trace, relatives of Chinese passengers returned to a Beijing court seeking answers they say they have been denied for more than a decade. The families insist that financial compensation alone cannot resolve their pain and are urging the court to focus on establishing the truth behind one of aviation’s greatest unsolved mysteries. The appeal comes after a Beijing court ruled in December that Malaysia Airlines should pay compensation of 2.9 million yuan to each of eight Chinese families. While the ruling acknowledged their loss, two families challenged the decision, arguing that it failed to address the airline’s responsibility or explain what happened to the aircraft and the 239 people on board. Flight MH370, a Boeing 777 travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, disappeared from radar with 239 passengers and crew members. Nearly two thirds of those on board were Chinese nationals. Despite years of international search operations across the Indian Ocean, investigators have never located the aircraft’s main wreckage or recovered its flight recorders, leaving the fate of those on board unknown. The latest court hearing in Beijing was held behind closed doors, but family members gathered outside to express their frustration. Li Eryou, whose son was among the passengers, said the original court ruling left him feeling insulted because it focused only on financial compensation while ignoring the deeper questions surrounding the disappearance. Li said no one had apologized to the families during the past 12 years and argued that the case deserved to be treated as an international tragedy rather than a routine legal dispute. He believes the compensation awarded by the lower court does not reflect the seriousness of the disaster or the emotional suffering experienced by relatives who continue to live without closure. Over the years, aviation experts have proposed several possible explanations for the disappearance. Theories have included deliberate actions by the pilot, hijacking, a missile strike or a technical failure. Another widely discussed possibility suggests that a fire involving electronic equipment may have filled the cabin with smoke, causing everyone on board to lose consciousness before the aircraft continued flying on autopilot until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the Indian Ocean. However, none of these theories has been confirmed because investigators have never recovered enough evidence to determine exactly what happened. The absence of definitive findings has continued to fuel uncertainty and speculation, leaving many families convinced that important questions remain unanswered. Jiang Hui, whose mother was on the missing aircraft, said the appeal is not primarily about receiving more money. Instead, he said the families want the court to establish the facts surrounding the case and examine whether Malaysia Airlines responded appropriately after the aircraft disappeared. According to Jiang, determining responsibility and uncovering the truth are far more important than the compensation itself. People from 14 different countries were on board Flight MH370, including 50 Malaysian passengers and crew members. While legal proceedings continue in China, there are currently no similar cases pending against the airline in Malaysia. Last month, the Malaysian government announced that the search for MH370 would continue until June next year. The renewed operation is being carried out by private exploration company Ocean Infinity, which has previously led several unsuccessful search missions in the southern Indian Ocean. Although earlier efforts failed to locate the aircraft, relatives remain hopeful that new technology and expanded search areas could finally provide long awaited answers. Jiang welcomed Malaysia’s decision to extend the search and urged authorities to allow families to organize their own independent search missions alongside official efforts. For many relatives, discovering what happened to Flight MH370 remains their greatest priority, believing that only the truth can finally bring closure after more than a decade of uncertainty.

  • | | |

    PM heads to Saudi Arabia for key talks

    Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is scheduled to leave for Saudi Arabia today on a two-day official visit, aimed at strengthening bilateral ties and discussing key regional developments. According to sources, the prime minister will hold a meeting with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman during the visit. The two leaders are expected to discuss the longstanding relationship between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, with particular focus on enhancing cooperation in areas of mutual interest. Regional security and the evolving situation in the Middle East are also expected to feature prominently in the talks. The meeting is likely to include an exchange of views on matters affecting regional peace, stability and broader strategic cooperation between the two countries. The visit is seen as part of ongoing high-level engagements between Islamabad and Riyadh, reflecting the close diplomatic, political and economic partnership shared by the two countries.

  • | | |

    Google releases Android 17 QPR2 beta 3 with new fe…

    Google has released Android 17 Beta 3, also known as the QPR2 Beta 3 update, for eligible Pixel devices. The latest beta includes bug fixes as well as several new features and customization options. One of the biggest changes is a redesigned Quick Settings editor. The feature will allow users to arrange toggles and settings according to their preferences. Users can also choose which Quick Settings tiles appear in larger formats. Google is further expanding customization by allowing users to adjust the position of the brightness slider and media player. Additional theming options are also reportedly being prepared for the final release, including adjustable colour hues and more blur effects across different parts of the interface. The Android 17 Beta 3 update also introduces new call-protection features designed to help users avoid social-engineering scams. Additional confirmation dialogs may appear when users dial numbers associated with call forwarding, reducing the risk of unknowingly redirecting their calls to another number. The QPR2 Beta 3 update is currently available to eligible Pixel devices through the beta programme. While some features are already available for testing, Google is expected to introduce further improvements before the stable Android 17 release.

  • | |

    Christopher Nolan shares why romantic comedies ‘…

    Christopher Nolan has built a career on pushing cinematic boundaries with thought-provoking blockbusters such as Inception, Interstellar, The Dark Knight trilogy and the Oscar-winning Oppenheimer. But despite his success across multiple genres, the acclaimed filmmaker says there is one type of movie he has no desire to direct anytime soon—a romantic comedy.  While promoting his latest epic, The Odyssey, during an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Nolan was asked whether fans could ever expect him to make a romantic comedy. Although the question was posed jokingly, the director gave a surprisingly thoughtful answer, admitting that the idea genuinely intimidates him.  “I think doing a rom-com would be incredibly difficult,” Nolan said. “I love watching those movies.” However, he explained that making audiences laugh consistently is one of the toughest challenges in filmmaking, giving immense credit to directors and actors who specialize in comedy.  The two-time Academy Award winner went on to explain why comedy demands a unique level of precision. According to Nolan, filmmakers working in dramatic or suspenseful genres have more room for interpretation if a particular scene doesn’t resonate with viewers. Comedy, on the other hand, leaves little room for error because jokes either land—or they don’t. That pressure, he admitted, is enough to make him “terrified” of attempting the genre himself.  Nolan’s comments have quickly sparked discussion among movie lovers, many of whom praised his honesty. Fans pointed out that although the filmmaker has mastered science fiction, historical drama, superhero films, psychological thrillers and war epics, his willingness to acknowledge the difficulty of comedy reflects his respect for fellow filmmakers.  Interestingly, while Nolan appears reluctant to direct a romantic comedy, he recently revealed that The Odyssey has increased his interest in another genre—horror. The filmmaker said working on the mythological adventure, which features several frightening sequences, has left him eager to explore horror further, provided he finds the right story.  The Odyssey, starring Matt Damon, Tom Holland and Anne Hathaway, marks another ambitious project for Nolan. Shot entirely using IMAX cameras, the film has received praise for its scale, practical effects and emotional storytelling, continuing the director’s tradition of delivering visually spectacular cinematic experiences.  Although fans may never see Christopher Nolan helm a lighthearted romantic comedy, his candid remarks highlight the immense respect he has for the genre. For now, the celebrated filmmaker remains committed to telling bold, ambitious stories—while happily leaving romantic laughs to directors who have mastered the art of comedy. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *