germany hunts terror
|

Germany hunts terror suspect after Berlin pride cr…

German authorities launched a national manhunt on Sunday for an individual suspected of ploughing a minivan into a crowd near a huge LGBTQ Pride gathering in Berlin, killing one person and injuring 29 others. The attack occurred in Tiergarten park near the Brandenburg Gate at approximately 10 pm, close to one of Europe’s largest annual LGBTQ celebrations, Christopher Street Day.

The incident is the latest in a series of vehicle attacks on crowds in Germany that have intensified debate around security and immigration amid a surge in support for the far-right. Chancellor Friedrich Merz urged Germans to protect liberal values, stating: “We will defend the freedom, openness, and liberal spirit of our lives and our society with everything we can do.”

It remains unclear whether the perpetrator acted alone, as police said more than one person may have exited the van. Berlin broadcaster RBB reported that an Iranian who had been a passenger in the vehicle had been arrested. The fire service confirmed that three of the injured were in a life-threatening condition.

The attack comes at a sensitive time for Merz’s unpopular coalition government, which is undergoing a bruising cabinet reshuffle amid criticism of its effectiveness. The far-right Alternative for Germany party, campaigning on immigration and security, was quick to comment on the attack. AfD co-chief Tino Chrupalla said on X: “We will not allow religious extremists to divide our country with violence and intolerance!”

Germany has experienced several vehicle attacks in recent years. In May, a man believed to have mental health problems drove into a pedestrian zone in Leipzig, killing two and injuring three. In 2016, a Tunisian failed asylum seeker hijacked a truck and drove it into a busy Christmas market, killing 11 people.

At the Tiergarten park, people lit candles and left flowers in memory of the victim. The investigation is ongoing, with authorities working to determine the full circumstances of the attack. The incident has once again raised questions about security measures at public events and the broader challenges of preventing such acts of violence. The government faces increasing pressure to address these concerns while upholding the country’s commitment to openness and tolerance. As the manhunt continues, the nation mourns the loss of life and hopes for the recovery of those injured in this senseless act of violence. The coming days will be crucial in determining the motives behind the attack and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice. The international community has expressed solidarity with Germany, offering support in the aftermath of the tragedy. The attack serves as a stark reminder of the ongoing threat of extremism and the need for continued vigilance to protect public safety.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Dar, Araghchi discuss region, plan Pakistan visit

    Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar has invited Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to visit Pakistan at the earliest during a telephone conversation focused on strengthening bilateral ties and discussing the evolving regional situation. According to the Foreign Office, the two foreign ministers held detailed discussions on a wide range of issues of mutual interest. They reviewed the current state of Pakistan-Iran relations and reaffirmed their commitment to maintaining close diplomatic engagement and cooperation. During the conversation, Dar extended a formal invitation to his Iranian counterpart to undertake an early visit to Pakistan. The proposed visit is expected to provide an opportunity for both countries to further enhance political dialogue and expand cooperation in areas of mutual interest. The two leaders also exchanged views on recent regional and international developments. Their discussions covered issues affecting peace, security and stability in the region, as both countries continue to coordinate on important diplomatic matters. Special attention was given to the deteriorating situation in occupied East Jerusalem. The foreign ministers expressed concern over the rising tensions and discussed the latest developments in the occupied Palestinian territories. They emphasized the need for continued diplomatic efforts to reduce tensions and promote regional stability. The telephone contact reflects the regular high-level engagement between Islamabad and Tehran as both governments continue consultations on regional affairs and bilateral cooperation. Pakistan and Iran share close historical, cultural and economic ties, and both countries have maintained regular diplomatic contacts to strengthen cooperation in political, economic and security sectors. Officials said the two sides agreed to remain in close contact on matters of mutual concern and continue consultations on regional and international issues. They also reaffirmed their commitment to promoting stronger bilateral relations through sustained dialogue and high-level exchanges.

  • Finnish Court Convicts Berry Company Executive Of Human Trafficking Thai Workers

    LAPLAND, Finland — A court in Finland has sentenced a prominent local businessman to two and a half years in prison for orchestrating the trafficking of dozens of Thai workers brought to the Nordic country for berry picking. The Lapland District Court convicted Jukka Kristo, the former chief executive of the berry company Polarica, on […]

  • | | |

    China reaffirms support for independent Palestinia…

    China has reaffirmed its steadfast support for the establishment of an independent Palestinian state, while pledging to continue providing humanitarian and development assistance to the Palestinian people. Speaking to the media, Chinese Ambassador to Palestine Sun Xin said Beijing remains firmly committed to strengthening its ties with Palestine and advancing bilateral cooperation. He noted that China is eager to deepen its strategic partnership with Palestine and further expand collaboration in the years ahead. The ambassador said his meetings with Palestinian leaders gave him a firsthand understanding of the immense hardships and suffering faced by Palestinians. He stressed that China remains concerned about the humanitarian situation and is committed to supporting efforts that contribute to relief, reconstruction, and long-term development. Sun Xin also highlighted that this year marks the third anniversary of the strategic partnership between China and Palestine, describing it as an important milestone in the two sides’ growing relationship. He reiterated that China will continue to stand by the Palestinian people through humanitarian assistance and development initiatives while maintaining its support for an independent Palestinian state.

  • | |

    18 terrorists killed in Balochistan operation: ISP…

    Eighteen suspected terrorists were killed in Balochistan’s Surab district after an explosives-laden vehicle detonated prematurely, followed by a security operation against fleeing militants, the military’s media wing said on Wednesday. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the incident occurred on the morning of August 12 while the militants were preparing a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (VBIED). The premature explosion killed eight militants at the site, while several others were reportedly injured. ISPR said additional explosives stored by the militants also detonated. The blast reportedly caused the deaths of three civilians living or working near the area. Following the explosion, security forces and Balochistan Police launched a joint clearance operation. The objective was to identify those involved in the incident and locate other militants and their facilitators. During the operation, security personnel detected several militants attempting to flee the area. Ten more militants were subsequently killed in an exchange of fire, according to ISPR. The military said the combined death toll among the militants involved in the incident had reached 18. Two security personnel were also injured during the operation. Security forces have continued sanitisation activities in the area to search for any remaining militants and clear possible threats. The military said counter-terrorism operations would continue under the government’s broader Azm-e-Istehkam framework. It said security and law-enforcement agencies remained committed to preventing terrorist groups from establishing a foothold in the country. The latest operation comes a day after security forces reported killing five militants during an intelligence-based operation in Balochistan’s Panjgur district. Balochistan has remained one of Pakistan’s key security challenges, with militant groups repeatedly targeting security personnel, civilians and government installations. The province has witnessed several major attacks in recent months, prompting increased coordination between the Pakistan Army, Frontier Corps and Balochistan Police. Security officials say operations are being conducted to disrupt militant networks, identify facilitators and prevent further attacks. The authorities have also repeatedly warned that militant groups operating in Balochistan pose a threat to both civilian life and national security.

  • | |

    300 children die daily due to poor healthcare: Mus…

    Federal Health Minister Mustafa Kamal has said that nearly 300 children die every day in Pakistan because of inadequate healthcare facilities, stressing the need for urgent reforms and greater investment in the country’s health sector. Speaking at a ceremony held at a private hospital in Karachi, the health minister said Pakistan is moving in the right direction but acknowledged that significant challenges remain in improving healthcare services across the country. Mustafa Kamal said the nursing curriculum must be updated to meet modern healthcare standards and international requirements. He added that strengthening the skills of healthcare professionals is essential to improving the quality of medical services. Highlighting demographic challenges, the minister said Pakistan’s population is growing at an annual rate of 2.55 percent, placing increasing pressure on education, healthcare and other public services. He noted that the rapidly expanding population has left millions of children without access to education. The minister said the government’s primary focus is to prevent diseases through vaccination and public awareness rather than relying solely on treatment. He added that Pakistan spends millions of dollars every year on vaccination programmes and warned that the cost could rise to $1.2 billion by 2030 if current trends continue. Mustafa Kamal said a lack of public awareness remains one of the biggest obstacles to successful immunisation campaigns. He noted that vaccination teams often face resistance, with some families refusing to cooperate by not allowing health workers into their homes. He said the government is working to improve awareness about the importance of vaccines and strengthen preventive healthcare programmes to reduce the burden of infectious diseases. The health minister also announced that the government is expected to sign agreements within the next few weeks to begin local vaccine production. He expressed hope that Pakistan would start manufacturing vaccines domestically before 2030, reducing dependence on imports and strengthening the country’s public health system.

  • Brutal Heat Wave Forecast to Scorch Western US This Weekend

    A relentless and incredibly dangerous heat wave is officially rolling into the western United States this weekend. Millions of Americans are urgently bracing for record-breaking temperatures as a massive thermal system stalls over the region. Forecasters warn that this oppressive weather event will drastically impact already drought-stricken states from California to the northern plains. The […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *