nawaz sharif says
| |

Nawaz Sharif says make me AJK PM

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Nawaz Sharif has promised a comprehensive development package for Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), saying the region will receive modern infrastructure, improved healthcare and better public services if his party wins the upcoming Legislative Assembly elections.

Addressing a public gathering in Muzaffarabad, Nawaz Sharif said AJK has not received the level of development it deserves despite its importance. He said many parts of Pakistan have witnessed major infrastructure projects, but similar progress has not reached Azad Kashmir.

The former prime minister questioned why a modern highway connecting Kohala and Muzaffarabad had still not been completed. He said better road infrastructure is essential for economic growth, tourism and improved connectivity across the region.

Nawaz recalled that during his previous government, a motorway project linking Mansehra, Muzaffarabad and Mirpur had been approved. He said the project would have transformed the region by improving transportation, encouraging investment and creating employment opportunities, but it remained unfinished after his government left office.

He expressed regret over the delay in completing several development schemes initiated by the PML-N, saying valuable years had been lost. He pledged that if the party returns to power in AJK, all pending projects would be completed without delay.

Nawaz also made a symbolic political statement by saying he would ask Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to appoint him as the prime minister of Azad Kashmir if the PML-N wins the elections, so he could personally supervise the region’s development projects. He added that even if he does not assume that role, he will regularly visit AJK to monitor progress and ensure that promises made to the public are fulfilled.

The PML-N leader announced several development initiatives for the region. He said 10 green electric buses would soon begin operating in Muzaffarabad to improve public transport. He also announced that 15 mobile hospitals would be introduced to provide medical services to people living in remote and mountainous areas.

He said no resident should have to travel long distances for basic healthcare. Better hospitals, schools, colleges and universities would remain among the party’s top priorities if elected.

Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz, who also addressed the gathering, promised to extend Punjab’s development model to Azad Kashmir. She said the PML-N government has introduced major reforms in public transport, healthcare, education and social welfare in Punjab, and similar initiatives would be launched in AJK.

Maryam announced that electric buses, mobile hospitals and several welfare programmes would be introduced in the region. She also pledged support for low-income families, widows, persons with disabilities and young entrepreneurs through various public welfare schemes.

She urged voters to compare the governance performance of different political parties before casting their votes. According to her, the development achieved in Punjab demonstrates the PML-N’s ability to deliver major public projects.

The Punjab chief minister also criticised political opponents for failing to resolve the region’s long-standing problems despite being in government. She said the people of Azad Kashmir deserve better roads, modern healthcare, quality education and greater employment opportunities.

During the rally, Nawaz Sharif also displayed party unity by inviting AJK PML-N President Shah Ghulam Qadir onto the stage and raising his hand before party workers and supporters. The gesture was widely viewed as a sign of confidence in the party’s leadership ahead of the July 27 AJK Legislative Assembly elections.

Similar Posts

  • Thailand Tightens Reporting on Non-Resident Cash Inflows to Manage Baht

    BANGKOK – Thailand is implementing stricter monitoring of capital inflows from non-residents as part of a broader effort by the central bank to manage the rapid appreciation of the baht. Starting Monday, Thai banks will be required to report any non-resident capital inflows exceeding $200,000, including the purpose and supporting documentation. Thai Baht Hits Four-Year […]

  • |

    France and Spain battle massive wildfires as another heatwave looms

    France and Spain are racing to contain devastating wildfires that have forced hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, with officials warning that another intense heatwave could make the crisis even worse. The blazes have spread across large areas of both countries, destroying forests, disrupting holidays, and stretching emergency services to their limits. The fires have been particularly severe in southwestern France near the famous Bordeaux wine region and in central Spain around Madrid. Authorities say more than 325,000 people have evacuated as flames continue to sweep through forests left dangerously dry after months of little rainfall and repeated heatwaves since May. Many residents escaped with only their most essential belongings. Olga Congacha, who fled her village near Madrid with her husband, said they had little time to react. She explained that they quickly gathered important documents and a few clothes before leaving as the situation became increasingly dangerous and frightening. Firefighters in France are dealing with an unusual and dangerous weather phenomenon caused by the blaze itself. Officials said the wildfire has created a massive fire cloud known as a pyrocumulonimbus. These clouds can generate their own winds, produce lightning, and in some cases even create tornadoes that ignite new fires. France’s National Federation of Firefighters said this is the first time such a phenomenon has been recorded in the country. Emergency crews continue to battle the flames with thousands of firefighters supported by water dropping aircraft. Thick smoke and rapidly changing winds have made firefighting efforts extremely difficult. One firefighter said the unpredictable wind patterns mean the fire is largely controlling the situation, forcing crews to constantly adjust their strategy. French President Emmanuel Macron is expected to chair an emergency cabinet meeting to review the growing crisis, while Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez plans to visit one of the worst affected areas in Valencia, where firefighters are tackling another fast moving wildfire. Spanish Civil Protection chief Virginia Barcones described the wildfire near Avila as a “monster” because of its enormous size. She said the fire has spread across a perimeter of about 280 kilometers and has burned approximately 77,000 hectares of land, making it one of the country’s largest wildfire emergencies in recent years. Scientists continue to warn that climate change is increasing the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events, including prolonged heatwaves and destructive wildfires. High temperatures combined with dry vegetation have created ideal conditions for fires to spread rapidly across southern Europe. In France’s Gironde region, authorities urged tourists to avoid the area and choose alternative destinations while emergency crews work to contain the blaze. Since last week, the wildfire has burned more than 42,000 hectares, an area several times larger than Manhattan. Around 220,000 people have been evacuated from the region, including visitors staying at 45 campsites that were forced to close, disrupting holidays for roughly 40,000 people. Another 30,000 residents have also been evacuated from other fire affected parts of the country. Some homeowners have chosen to stay behind despite evacuation orders in an effort to protect their properties. Georges Clivaz, whose home is near the advancing fire in Gironde, said he and his family were spraying water along nearby roads to slow the flames. He admitted firefighters had warned them the blaze could reach their home within hours, but they hoped their efforts might help save their property. Weather experts have warned that another heatwave is expected to hit parts of France from Tuesday, with temperatures forecast to reach as high as 40 degrees Celsius in some areas. In Spain, around 75,000 people have been evacuated from regions including Madrid, Avila, Toledo, and Castellon. Although officials reported some progress, several major fires remain out of control. One person has died in the wildfire near Valencia, while two French firefighters lost their lives earlier this week while battling the flames near Bordeaux.

  • US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Sends Songkran Greetings to Thailand

    BANGKOK — United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio has issued an official greeting to the people of Thailand, marking the commencement of the Songkran Festival and the Thai New Year with a pledge of closer ties and a reaffirmation of the enduring alliance between the two nations. Thai PM Anutin Wishes Nation a Happy […]

  • |

    Epstein survivors urge UK PM to deliver justice

    The UK Epstein Survivors Campaign has renewed its call for truth, accountability and justice, urging Prime Minister Andy Burnham’s government to take further action over the Jeffrey Epstein case. The campaign has expressed hope that the new government will be more willing to engage directly with survivors and address long-standing questions surrounding Epstein’s links to influential figures and institutions. A spokesperson for the campaign said survivors believed there was now an opportunity to obtain the truth they had been seeking for years. The group welcomed what it described as Burnham’s willingness to listen to victims and show compassion toward those affected by Epstein’s crimes. The campaign also called for greater transparency over how Epstein was able to gain access to powerful circles and continue his criminal activities for such a long period. The issue has also been raised by the government’s victims minister, whose responsibilities have reportedly been expanded to cover international matters. The minister has said that survivors and victims deserve a complete account of what happened so that those responsible can be held accountable. He has backed the idea of a full statutory public inquiry into Epstein’s access to the British establishment and the circumstances that allowed his abuse and criminal activity to continue. Supporters of the proposed inquiry argue that it should have sufficient legal powers to compel witnesses and obtain relevant communications, including messages and emails. They say such powers would be necessary to establish the full chain of events and determine whether individuals or institutions failed to act when concerns about Epstein were known. The campaign maintains that a comprehensive investigation is essential not only for survivors but also for preventing similar failures in the future. It wants the authorities to examine how Epstein built relationships with powerful people and why safeguards failed to stop his activities earlier. The renewed demand comes as pressure continues for greater transparency surrounding the wider Epstein case. Survivors and campaigners have repeatedly argued that accountability should extend beyond Epstein himself and include any individuals or institutions that enabled or overlooked wrongdoing.

  • |

    Oil prices tumble to three-week low as Trump delays Iran strike

    LONDON: Global oil prices recorded their sharpest single-day decline in weeks on Monday, falling to a three-week low after US President Donald Trump stepped back from plans for a military strike against Iran, raising hopes that diplomatic efforts could ease tensions and prevent disruptions to energy supplies from the Gulf. International benchmark Brent crude dropped 7 percent, or $6.35, to settle at $83.77 per barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude fell 5.1 percent, losing $4.33 to close at $80.34 per barrel. The decline marked Brent’s weakest closing level since mid-July. Market analysts said the drop was also influenced by the expiry of the higher-priced September Brent contract, with the less expensive October contract becoming the new front-month benchmark. Investor sentiment shifted sharply after Trump announced that he had postponed military action against Iran, saying he wanted to allow time for diplomacy aimed at reaching an agreement that could reduce regional tensions and potentially increase Iranian oil exports. The possibility of additional crude entering global markets eased concerns over supply shortages, prompting traders to sell oil futures and pushing prices lower. However, Tehran quickly dismissed suggestions that negotiations with Washington were underway. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei said there were no talks taking place with the United States and no meetings had been scheduled. He added that Iran had no plans to host foreign delegations or send negotiators abroad in the coming days. Trump, meanwhile, maintained that discussions with Iran were in progress and warned Tehran of serious consequences if it failed to reach an agreement aimed at ending the ongoing confrontation. Analysts call market reaction excessive Energy analysts said oil markets appeared to react strongly to political rhetoric rather than confirmed developments. According to analysts at energy consultancy Ritterbusch and Associates, the steep decline in crude prices reflected what they described as an overreaction by investors to Trump’s comments suggesting that an agreement with Iran could be imminent. They noted that the US president has repeatedly made strong statements regarding Iran before later softening his position, creating significant volatility in energy markets. Analysts also observed that Trump’s public calls for lower fuel prices in the United States have frequently weighed on oil markets by reducing expectations of sustained price increases. During Monday’s trading session, US gasoline and diesel futures also declined by nearly 5 percent, reflecting broader weakness across the energy sector. Shipping routes remain under pressure Despite hopes for diplomacy, concerns over maritime security in the Middle East continued to influence market sentiment. Shipping data showed that six Saudi-flagged supertankers altered their routes in recent days, avoiding the Gulf of Aden and instead sailing around southern Africa after Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi movement threatened to target Saudi vessels. At the same time, some oil tankers continued to transit the region. Two Saudi oil tankers successfully crossed the Bab el-Mandeb Strait over the weekend, while vessel movements through the Strait of Hormuz slowed following reports of attacks on commercial shipping. The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most strategically important energy chokepoints, carrying roughly one-fifth of global oil trade before hostilities between the United States, Israel and Iran escalated earlier this year. A Panama-flagged tanker transporting Russian naphtha also reportedly abandoned plans to pass through the Bab el-Mandeb, choosing the longer route around Africa due to security concerns. Russia boosts maritime security Russia announced on Monday that it was strengthening security measures for commercial shipping in the Azov-Black Sea region while working to expand alternative export routes, following increased attacks on vessels linked to the conflict in Ukraine. As one of the world’s largest crude producers and a leading member of the OPEC+ alliance, Russia remains a key player in global energy markets. Disruptions to exports from the Gulf, Russia and Kazakhstan have continued to limit global oil supplies throughout the year, preventing previously announced OPEC+ production increases from fully reaching international markets. In a separate development, OPEC+ approved a production quota increase of approximately 188,000 barrels per day beginning in September. Although the move is intended to gradually raise output, analysts believe geopolitical risks and transportation disruptions could continue to limit the actual flow of additional crude to global buyers.

  • |

    Modi vows tough punishment as exam leak protests intensify

    Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has promised strict action against those involved in examination paper leak scandals, making his first public comments since nationwide student protests erupted over alleged irregularities in the country’s examination system. In a statement shared on social media, Modi said the future and welfare of India’s youth were of the highest importance. He assured students that the government would take firm action against those responsible for examination fraud and announced plans to establish fast-track courts to ensure speedy trials in paper leak cases. The prime minister said no one would be allowed to jeopardise the future of young people for personal gain. He pledged that all those found guilty of manipulating examinations or leaking question papers would face strict legal consequences. His statement came after thousands of students and young people gathered in New Delhi to protest against repeated examination paper leaks and demand greater transparency in the education system. Demonstrators have also been calling for the resignation of the country’s education minister, accusing the government of failing to prevent repeated examination scandals. The protests have been organised by the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), a movement that emerged through social media and has rapidly gained support among students and young voters across India. Initially launched as a satirical online campaign, the movement has expanded into a nationwide platform highlighting concerns over examination fraud, unemployment, and opportunities for young people. Tensions escalated earlier this week when large crowds attempted to march towards Parliament during the opening of the monsoon session. Police stopped the protesters by using tear gas and baton charges to disperse the crowds. Clashes later broke out after some demonstrators threw stones at security personnel, resulting in injuries on both sides. According to official figures, at least 178 people, including police officers and security personnel, were injured during the violence. Several protesters also sustained injuries as confrontations continued in different parts of the capital. The latest demonstrations are among the largest youth-led protests seen in New Delhi in recent years. The movement has drawn widespread public attention and increased pressure on the government to restore confidence in India’s examination system. Public anger has grown following a series of examination controversies across the country. One of the biggest scandals involved the leak of a national medical entrance examination paper, forcing more than two million candidates to retake the test. Another controversy related to the online evaluation of high school examinations involving nearly two million students has further raised concerns about fairness and transparency. Students argue that repeated paper leaks are destroying merit and reducing confidence in the education system. Many believe honest candidates are being unfairly affected by corruption and poor oversight in the examination process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *