nawaz sharif says
| |

Nawaz Sharif says make me AJK PM

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Nawaz Sharif has promised a comprehensive development package for Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), saying the region will receive modern infrastructure, improved healthcare and better public services if his party wins the upcoming Legislative Assembly elections.

Addressing a public gathering in Muzaffarabad, Nawaz Sharif said AJK has not received the level of development it deserves despite its importance. He said many parts of Pakistan have witnessed major infrastructure projects, but similar progress has not reached Azad Kashmir.

The former prime minister questioned why a modern highway connecting Kohala and Muzaffarabad had still not been completed. He said better road infrastructure is essential for economic growth, tourism and improved connectivity across the region.

Nawaz recalled that during his previous government, a motorway project linking Mansehra, Muzaffarabad and Mirpur had been approved. He said the project would have transformed the region by improving transportation, encouraging investment and creating employment opportunities, but it remained unfinished after his government left office.

He expressed regret over the delay in completing several development schemes initiated by the PML-N, saying valuable years had been lost. He pledged that if the party returns to power in AJK, all pending projects would be completed without delay.

Nawaz also made a symbolic political statement by saying he would ask Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif to appoint him as the prime minister of Azad Kashmir if the PML-N wins the elections, so he could personally supervise the region’s development projects. He added that even if he does not assume that role, he will regularly visit AJK to monitor progress and ensure that promises made to the public are fulfilled.

The PML-N leader announced several development initiatives for the region. He said 10 green electric buses would soon begin operating in Muzaffarabad to improve public transport. He also announced that 15 mobile hospitals would be introduced to provide medical services to people living in remote and mountainous areas.

He said no resident should have to travel long distances for basic healthcare. Better hospitals, schools, colleges and universities would remain among the party’s top priorities if elected.

Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz, who also addressed the gathering, promised to extend Punjab’s development model to Azad Kashmir. She said the PML-N government has introduced major reforms in public transport, healthcare, education and social welfare in Punjab, and similar initiatives would be launched in AJK.

Maryam announced that electric buses, mobile hospitals and several welfare programmes would be introduced in the region. She also pledged support for low-income families, widows, persons with disabilities and young entrepreneurs through various public welfare schemes.

She urged voters to compare the governance performance of different political parties before casting their votes. According to her, the development achieved in Punjab demonstrates the PML-N’s ability to deliver major public projects.

The Punjab chief minister also criticised political opponents for failing to resolve the region’s long-standing problems despite being in government. She said the people of Azad Kashmir deserve better roads, modern healthcare, quality education and greater employment opportunities.

During the rally, Nawaz Sharif also displayed party unity by inviting AJK PML-N President Shah Ghulam Qadir onto the stage and raising his hand before party workers and supporters. The gesture was widely viewed as a sign of confidence in the party’s leadership ahead of the July 27 AJK Legislative Assembly elections.

Similar Posts

  • Drunk Foreign Tourist Forcibly Removed from Train After Causing Disturbance

    BANGKOK – A foreign tourist was removed from a train in Thailand following a late-night disturbance in which he insulted passengers, praised Cambodia, and became physically aggressive. The man, traveling with his Thai wife, reportedly smashed a train window and demanded alcohol during the altercation. Drunk Foreigner Disrupts Bangkok Collapse Rescue Site in Bizarre Taxi […]

  • |

    Alzarri Joseph responds to Darren Sammy’s selection remarks

    BRIDGETOWN: West Indies fast bowler Alzarri Joseph has responded to comments made by head coach Darren Sammy regarding his absence from the ongoing Test series against Pakistan, saying his decision was taken out of context and has created a misleading public perception. The controversy emerged after Cricket West Indies initially cited “personal reasons” for Joseph’s unavailability. However, subsequent remarks by Sammy suggested that the pacer had declined selection for the series, sparking widespread discussion among cricket fans and analysts. In a statement, Joseph clarified that his decision was based solely on his physical condition following a lengthy recovery from his second stress fracture in the back within the past year. The fast bowler explained that he had only recently returned to Test cricket and had already played two demanding Tests against Sri Lanka, followed by five consecutive One-Day Internationals against New Zealand. After that workload, he felt his body was not ready for another Test series without adequate rest. Joseph said the coach’s comments were made without presenting the full background, leading many to misunderstand his position. “I believe the remarks were incomplete and created the wrong impression among the public,” he said, stressing that his commitment to West Indies cricket remains unchanged. The 29-year-old also dismissed suggestions that he had turned his back on the national team, saying he has always been proud to represent the West Indies whenever he is physically fit. Joseph reaffirmed that he remains a professional cricketer dedicated to serving his country and its supporters. He added that his responsibility is to the West Indies team and the people of the Caribbean, not to any individual. His clarification comes as the West Indies continue their Test campaign against Pakistan, with discussions over player workload and injury management increasingly becoming an important issue in international cricket. The latest exchange has highlighted the challenges teams face in balancing player fitness with the demands of a packed international schedule.

  • | |

    Bugti offers militants rehabilitation, warns of co…

    QUETTA: Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Ahmed Bugti on Friday announced that the provincial government is ready to hold political dialogue with those willing to abandon violence, while making it clear that security operations against armed militant groups will continue until peace is restored. Speaking at the passing-out parade of the Anti-Terrorism Force’s 20th basic training course in Quetta, the chief minister said individuals who surrender and renounce militancy would be given an opportunity to rebuild their lives through a comprehensive rehabilitation programme. Under the government’s reintegration plan, former militants will be offered government employment, educational opportunities for their children and access to healthcare facilities to help them become productive members of society. He said the initiative aims to encourage peaceful participation in the province’s development. However, Bugti warned that those who continue armed activities would face firm action. He said the provincial government, Pakistan Army, Frontier Corps, police, Counter Terrorism Department and Anti-Terrorism Force were working together to eliminate terrorism and restore lasting peace across Balochistan. Referring to the recent rise in militant attacks, the chief minister acknowledged that the province’s security challenges had intensified in recent years but expressed confidence that ongoing counterterrorism operations would defeat militant groups. Bugti also urged political leaders to avoid linking political disagreements with acts of terrorism. While criticism of the government was part of the democratic process, he said attacks on the country’s security forces should not be justified or politicised. Addressing the newly graduated ATF personnel, the chief minister praised their commitment to national service and described them as guardians responsible for protecting the people and maintaining peace. He added that the government was reviewing measures to further strengthen the professional training of security personnel to meet emerging security challenges. The chief minister also announced Rs150 million for improving the Anti-Terrorism Force training school’s infrastructure and highlighted recent steps taken to enhance benefits and welfare packages for police personnel and the families of martyred officers, reaffirming the government’s commitment to strengthening law enforcement institutions.

  • |

    Ukraine accuses Russia of launching North Korean missiles in deadly regional strikes

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky accused Moscow of deploying North Korean ballistic missiles during a series of overnight attacks across Ukraine that left at least seven people dead in Zaporizhzhia. Local officials in Zaporizhzhia reported that the strikes hit the city’s Zaporizhstal metallurgical plant with guided bombs and missiles, killing seven employees, injuring 24 others, and forcing the facility to suspend operations. The barrage was part of a broader aerial offensive involving 120 Russian drones and multiple missile launches that disrupted power supplies in Kharkiv and Kherson while damaging civilian infrastructure in Kyiv and Sumy. In response, Ukrainian forces launched retaliatory deep-space strikes targeting critical Russian supply and industrial assets. Ukrainian drones struck facilities belonging to online retailer Wildberries in the Voronezh region, as well as a petrochemical plant in western Siberia. The long-range campaign follows a strike on the Tanevo oil refinery in Tatarstan, located over 680 miles inside Russian territory, which killed 13 people and injured dozens. Zelensky warned that Moscow’s growing reliance on North Korean weaponry and troops presents a expanding international security threat. Western military intelligence previously noted that thousands of North Korean soldiers had been deployed to support Russian units in the Kursk region, where allied forces suffered heavy casualties during autumn combat.

  • | |

    14 security personnel martyred, 27 injured in suic…

    TANK: At least 14 security personnel were martyred and 27 others injured in a major suicide attack on the Manjhi Khel Joint Check Post in Tank district after terrorists rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the facility late Thursday night, triggering a massive blast. According to security and police sources, the powerful explosion caused extensive destruction to the check post, completely demolishing seven to eight rooms and damaging nearby houses. Shortly after the blast, an intense exchange of gunfire erupted between the attackers and security forces and continued for a considerable period. Sources said all attackers were killed during the ensuing security operation. A clearance and search operation remains underway as authorities continue removing debris and recovering bodies. The martyred personnel reportedly include two police officials, seven members of the security forces, and one Forest Guard. Among the police personnel who embraced martyrdom were Constable Bilal and driver Tala Muhammad. The injured include four police officials Constable Ismatullah Akbari, Constable Jasim, Constable Muhammad Dawood, and Constable Pir Ghulam along with other security personnel. All the wounded were shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital, Tank, for medical treatment. According to sources, two of the attackers were wearing uniforms resembling those of the Pakistan Army in an apparent attempt to deceive security personnel. Preliminary information suggests the suicide attack was carried out using a Datsun/Mazda vehicle loaded with approximately 1,500 kilograms of explosives. Sources also claimed that a white Toyota Corolla GLi was used by the attackers, apparently to facilitate their movement after the explosion. Following the attack, security forces cordoned off the area and launched a large scale search and clearance operation. Officials are collecting evidence to determine the full circumstances of the attack. However, an official statement confirming the casualty figures and operational details is still awaited. Meanwhile, the funeral prayers for the martyred personnel are expected to be attended by Inspector General of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police Zulfiqar Hameed and Chief Secretary Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Syed Shahab Ali Shah. In response to the security situation, the district administration has imposed a district-wide curfew in Tank from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with all entry and exit routes to the city closed until further notice. Authorities have urged residents to cooperate with law enforcement agencies and avoid unnecessary travel during the curfew.

  • | |

    Pakistan goods transporters association declares i…

      The Pakistan Goods Transporters Association has raised serious concerns over the volatile and unpredictable daily adjustments in petroleum prices, stating that such frequent fluctuations make it impossible for the transport sector to continue operations smoothly. In a press conference held in Lahore, association officials, led by President Nabeel Mahmood Tariq, articulated a series of demands and grievances that have been mounting over recent months, warning that without immediate government intervention, the entire logistics and supply chain network could face severe disruption. Addressing the media alongside other senior office-bearers of the All Pakistan Goods Transporters Association, Nabeel Mahmood Tariq emphasized that the transportation industry is the backbone of the national economy, responsible for moving essential commodities, industrial raw materials, and consumer goods across the length and breadth of the country. However, he argued that the current pricing mechanism for petroleum products—which has seen almost daily revisions—has created an environment of extreme uncertainty for fleet operators. Unlike larger corporate entities, most truck owners and small transport companies operate on thin profit margins, and without a stable fuel pricing framework, they are unable to quote competitive rates to clients or plan their operational budgets effectively. Tariq pointed out that many transporters have already started grounding their vehicles, as each trip now carries the risk of financial loss if fuel prices rise unexpectedly mid-journey. Beyond fuel prices, the association president laid out a comprehensive list of demands aimed at reducing the financial burden on the sector. First and foremost, he called for an immediate end to unnecessary customs checking at various inter-provincial checkpoints. According to Tariq, these intrusive and repetitive inspections not only cause long delays—sometimes stretching into hours—but also open the door to harassment and bribery, which further inflate the cost of doing business. He urged the federal and provincial governments to streamline customs procedures and adopt a more efficient, technology-driven system that would expedite the movement of goods without compromising security or revenue collection. Another major point of contention raised by Tariq was the recent increase in toll taxes on highways and motorways. He demanded that this hike be rolled back completely, arguing that transporters are already struggling with rising maintenance costs, spare part prices, and tyre rates. The additional toll burden, he said, is simply unsustainable and forces many operators to take longer, less safe alternative routes, which ultimately hurts the overall efficiency of freight movement. Turning his attention to provincial policies, particularly in Punjab, Tariq called for the establishment of new, modern truck terminals across the province. He noted that existing truck stands and loading points are outdated, overcrowded, and lack basic amenities for drivers and helpers. New truck yards, equipped with proper parking, resting areas, workshops, and loading/unloading facilities, would not only improve working conditions but also reduce traffic congestion in urban centers. He also strongly condemned the 300 percent increase in token tax imposed on commercial vehicles in Punjab, labeling it as punitive and counterproductive. He demanded that this excessive tax hike be withdrawn immediately, asserting that it disproportionately affects small owner-operators who form the majority of the association’s membership. In a significant announcement, Nabeel Mahmood Tariq declared that the association fully supports the wheel-jam strike (hunger strike) called for August 8, which has been organized by various transport unions across the country to pressure the government into addressing these long-standing issues. He clarified that this is not a political move but a last-resort measure to draw attention to the existential crisis facing the transport industry. He warned that if the government fails to respond positively before that date, thousands of trucks, trailers, and tankers will park on the roads, effectively paralyzing the movement of food, medicine, fuel, and industrial goods. Such a strike, he cautioned, would have catastrophic consequences for an already fragile economy, leading to shortages, price hikes, and factory closures. Concluding his address, Tariq appealed to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the chief ministers of all provinces to personally intervene and hold urgent consultations with transport representatives. He reiterated that the industry is not asking for subsidies or charity, but merely for a predictable policy environment, fair taxation, and the elimination of corrupt practices at checkpoints. He expressed hope that the government would act wisely and avert a crisis that benefits no one except speculators and hoarders. The press conference ended with a unanimous resolution passed by the association leaders, vowing to continue their struggle peacefully but firmly until all their legitimate demands are met. The coming days, they warned, will be decisive for the future of Pakistan’s transport sector and, by extension, its entire supply chain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *