|

At least 18 migrants die as thousands cross into Spain’s Ceuta enclave

At least 18 migrants have died while attempting to reach the Spanish enclave of Ceuta after thousands crossed the border from Morocco in one of the largest migration surges seen in the region in recent years. The humanitarian situation continued to worsen on Friday as migrants kept arriving by sea while clashes broke out between Moroccan security forces and groups gathered near the border.

Hundreds of migrants were seen on hills overlooking Ceuta as Moroccan authorities used tear gas to disperse crowds trying to move toward the Spanish territory. Despite the security operation, many people continued to swim across the narrow stretch of water separating Morocco from Ceuta. At the same time, large numbers of migrants who had already entered the enclave chose to return to Morocco on foot.

Rachid Sbihi, who heads a local association representing Spain’s Civil Guard officers, described the situation as a serious humanitarian emergency. He said thousands of migrants, including many unaccompanied children, were sleeping in parks, streets and public spaces because reception centres had reached capacity. Emergency teams and military personnel sent to the area have mainly focused on treating the injured and providing humanitarian assistance as authorities struggle to manage the crisis.

According to local officials, many of the 18 victims drowned while trying to swim into Ceuta. Others reportedly died during a stampede near the breakwater at Tarajal beach as large crowds rushed toward the border. Rescue teams continued searching the coastline while personal belongings including shoes, clothing and flotation devices were scattered along the shore.

Many migrants said they left Morocco in search of better economic opportunities in Europe. One migrant, 33 year old Ahmed Karim, said unemployment and limited prospects at home had driven many people to take the dangerous journey. He explained that many dream of reaching Europe or the United States but see few legal opportunities to do so.

Moroccan authorities strengthened security along the border by deploying additional police officers, using water cannons and firing warning shots into the air to stop more crossings. Human rights groups said migrants who were detained near the border were transported further into Morocco, although many others continued arriving in the area hoping to enter Ceuta.

Morocco’s ambassador to Spain, Karima Benyaich, expressed hope that those who had crossed into Ceuta would voluntarily return. She said Morocco supports safe and orderly migration but did not comment on what had triggered the sudden movement of thousands of people toward the Spanish territory.

Officials in Spain linked the surge to a recent Supreme Court ruling stating that migrants who reach Spain by swimming cannot automatically be returned, unlike those who cross by land or climb the border fence. The Spanish government argued that people smuggling networks had exploited public misunderstanding of the ruling to encourage migrants to attempt the dangerous crossing. Some Moroccan rights activists questioned that explanation, saying many migrants were unlikely to have known about the legal decision.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez was expected to visit Ceuta after local authorities requested military assistance. His government’s migration policies have come under criticism from opposition politicians, who argue that recent measures granting residency and work permits to certain undocumented migrants have encouraged more people to head for Spain. The government rejected those claims, insisting the current crisis is unrelated to its immigration reforms.

The unrest also spread to Melilla, Spain’s other North African enclave, where groups of migrants attempted to cross the border and clashed with Moroccan police. Rights groups reported injuries among security personnel and dozens of arrests. Spanish officials have not yet confirmed how many migrants entered Ceuta, although media reports estimate that between 30,000 and 49,000 people crossed into the territory within a single day, placing enormous pressure on a city with a population of about 84,000.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    PTI announces September 27 to Islamabad over key d…

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has announced plans to march to Islamabad on September 27 if its demands regarding party founder Imran Khan are not met, with senior party leaders calling for legal and constitutional relief. The announcement was made during a public gathering near the motorway in Peshawar, where PTI leaders said the planned demonstration would go ahead unless progress is made on several issues, including regular meetings with Imran Khan, access to his personal physician, and timely hearings of court cases involving the former prime minister. Addressing supporters, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur said the party had pursued every available constitutional and legal avenue but had failed to achieve the desired outcomes. He argued that the party had little confidence in the judicial process and claimed that recent constitutional amendments had affected the functioning of the courts. Gandapur also alleged that PTI supporters had faced excessive force during previous demonstrations. He questioned the continued detention of Imran Khan and reiterated the party’s position that the former premier’s removal from office was the result of external interference. He further claimed that Pakistan’s economy had performed better during Imran Khan’s tenure and criticized the current government’s handling of economic and security challenges. The chief minister also expressed concern over inflation, unemployment, law and order, and the country’s overall economic situation. He accused the federal government of mismanagement and urged supporters to remain united ahead of the planned protest. Speaking at the same event, PTI leader Sohail Afridi said the party had exhausted all legal and constitutional options before deciding to launch another protest movement. He maintained that the planned march was intended to demand justice rather than political concessions. Afridi announced that PTI would proceed towards Islamabad on September 27 if its demands remained unaddressed. He told supporters that the party was seeking what it described as judicial justice and the restoration of legal rights for its leader. The planned demonstration is expected to become one of PTI’s major political mobilization efforts in the coming months. Party leaders have called on supporters from across the country to participate peacefully in the protest. The federal government has not yet issued a detailed response to PTI’s latest announcement. Political observers say the coming weeks will be important as both sides weigh their next steps amid Pakistan’s evolving political landscape.

  • |

    When did Cristiano Ronaldo tell his family about his wedding?

    Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodriguez appear to have kept their long-awaited wedding remarkably private, with reports suggesting that the football superstar informed his mother and siblings about the ceremony only moments before it took place. According to reports, Ronaldo and Rodriguez married on August 11, 2026, in an intimate ceremony in Portugal after nearly a decade together. The couple reportedly chose Ronaldo’s residence for the occasion, keeping the guest list extremely small. Only four witnesses and the couple’s children were said to have attended the ceremony. Ronaldo’s mother, Dolores Aveiro, and his three siblings were reportedly not present. Portuguese television presenter Cristina Ferreira claimed that Ronaldo’s family may have learned about the wedding only around 30 seconds before the ceremony. The surprising detail has attracted considerable attention, particularly because of the close relationship Ronaldo has maintained with his family throughout his career. Despite not attending the ceremony, Dolores appeared to publicly welcome the marriage. After Ronaldo shared photographs of the couple’s wedding rings, his mother responded with a heart emoji. The family’s relationship had previously been the subject of speculation after Georgina reportedly unfollowed Dolores on Instagram. Rumours of a disagreement quickly circulated online, but Dolores dismissed the reports, saying the social media action had simply been a mistake and that there was no family dispute. Ronaldo and Georgina have been together for almost 10 years and have built a family life largely away from the footballer’s professional commitments. Their relationship has attracted enormous international attention, making their decision to keep the wedding private particularly intriguing to fans. The couple made their first public appearance as husband and wife only days after the reported ceremony. They attended an Al Nassr vs Al Fateh match at Riyadh’s Al-Awwal Park with their children. Georgina appeared at the stadium wearing a striking golden silky jacket, while Ronaldo opted for an all-black outfit. The appearance gave fans their first glimpse of the newly married couple following their private celebration and added another memorable chapter to Ronaldo and Georgina’s high-profile relationship. While the reported 30-second family notification remains the most surprising detail surrounding the ceremony, the couple’s decision to celebrate quietly suggests they wanted the milestone to remain firmly within their immediate circle.

  • | |

    Balochistan lawmakers condemn Nushki killings

    Women parliamentarians in Balochistan have strongly condemned the killing of a mother and daughter in Nushki. The victims were reportedly killed after militants entered their home. The lawmakers described the incident as deeply tragic. They said the attack was also against Baloch traditions and social values. They expressed concern over the targeting of civilians, especially women. Speaking at a press conference in Quetta, Balochistan government adviser Meena Majeed said the victims were identified as Bibi Hanifa and Hafsa. She alleged that the two women were killed by militants linked to what the authorities describe as Fitna al-Hindustan. Majeed questioned why the mother and daughter were targeted. She asked what their crime was. She said ordinary Baloch citizens were now facing threats from militants. She also expressed concern about the targeting of women. Majeed said the government and security forces were continuing operations against militants in the province. She assured that those involved in the Nushki attack would be identified and brought before the law. She said the government would continue efforts to protect civilians. Balochistan Assembly Deputy Speaker Ghazala also condemned the incident. She said women parliamentarians would not remain silent over the killing of the mother and daughter. Ghazala stressed that women must be protected everywhere. She said their safety should remain a priority under all circumstances. Provincial Education Minister Raheela Durrani also expressed strong concern over the incident. Durrani questioned the message being sent about Balochistan when women were targeted and killed. She said such incidents damage the image of the province and create fear among local communities. The women lawmakers said violence against civilians could not be tolerated. They called for effective action against those responsible for the killings. They also stressed the need for stronger security measures to protect women and other vulnerable citizens. The lawmakers expressed solidarity with the victims’ families. They said the government and security institutions must ensure that those responsible for the attack face justice.

  • | | |

    PM orders expansion of strategic oil reserves

    ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has directed authorities to expand Pakistan’s strategic petroleum reserves while approving key amendments to the Pakistan Oil Refining Policy 2023, a move aimed at strengthening the country’s energy security, attracting investment and modernising the refining sector. Chairing a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Energy (CCoE), the prime minister was briefed on the progress of refinery upgradation projects, ongoing energy sector reforms and the implementation of the revised refining policy. He described the modernisation of Pakistan’s oil refineries as a national priority, saying it would improve energy security, reduce reliance on imported fuels and support the production of cleaner, environmentally friendly petroleum products. The approved amendments focus on upgrading existing refineries to increase production capacity while enabling the manufacture of Euro-V standard petrol and diesel. The changes are also intended to reduce the production of furnace oil and other lower-quality petroleum products, helping Pakistan meet international environmental commitments and curb air pollution. To encourage foreign investment, Prime Minister Shehbaz instructed officials to organise investment roadshows in Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries to promote opportunities in Pakistan’s refining sector. He stressed that the revised policy must be implemented without delay and warned that negligence in executing the reforms would not be tolerated. The premier also directed relevant ministries and institutions to maintain close coordination with stakeholders to accelerate the reform process. In addition, he called for improvements in the performance of the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA) to promote greater transparency, competition and investor confidence in the energy market. Pakistan has been seeking to strengthen its fuel security after recent regional tensions exposed the country’s vulnerability to supply disruptions. The absence of strategic petroleum reserves became a major concern during the conflict that affected oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz, prompting renewed urgency for energy sector reforms. The refining policy has faced repeated delays since its formulation. Although finalised in 2023 and approved the following year after years of consultations, implementation stalled when incentives were withdrawn in the federal budget, causing refinery upgrade agreements to be put on hold. Discussions resumed after the government addressed financial concerns raised by refinery operators and pledged measures to revive nearly $6 billion in planned investments. Industry stakeholders have continued to seek policy stability and tax-related assurances, arguing that unresolved issues, including sales tax on imported equipment and refinery inputs, have created financial challenges that threaten the viability of modernisation projects. The government has indicated that further measures will be introduced to facilitate investment and ensure the successful implementation of the refinery upgrade programme.

  • | |

    Angelina Jolie shares new insights into her film W…

    Angelina Jolie is opening up about the emotional heart of her upcoming directorial film Without Blood, describing the drama as a story centered on trauma, healing, memory and human connection. The Oscar-winning actress directed and produced the film, which is adapted from Italian author Alessandro Baricco’s novel of the same name. Without Blood is scheduled to arrive in U.S. theaters on September 18, 2026, following its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2024. (FilmNation⁠) A story about healing Jolie has emphasized that Without Blood is ultimately about what happens after people experience profound trauma. Rather than focusing only on conflict, the film explores the emotional consequences that remain long after violence has ended. The story takes place in the aftermath of an unnamed conflict and examines how memory can shape people’s lives. Jolie said the project explores universal truths surrounding trauma, memory and healing, giving the film a deeply human focus. (FilmNation⁠) For Jolie, the subject matter also presented an opportunity to explore difficult emotions through a more intimate cinematic approach. The film is interested in the conversations people have after painful experiences and the possibility of understanding one another despite the past. Salma Hayek leads the cast Without Blood stars Salma Hayek Pinault, Demián Bichir and Juan Minujín. Jolie has praised the cast for bringing emotional openness to the production, particularly highlighting the performances of Hayek and Bichir. Jolie described the atmosphere on set as collaborative and emotionally intimate. She hopes the performances will encourage audiences to think about the film’s themes and engage in meaningful conversations about trauma and healing. (People.com⁠) The film also reunites Jolie with Hayek, following their work together on Eternals. Their collaboration in Without Blood marks a very different kind of dramatic project, built around complex emotions and human connection. Jolie returns behind the camera The project continues Jolie’s work as a filmmaker, following previous directing efforts including First They Killed My Father and Unbroken. She co-wrote the screenplay for Without Blood with Baricco while also serving as producer and director. (Brainstorm Media⁠) With its September release approaching, Without Blood is shaping up as a thoughtful drama about the long shadow of conflict and the difficult journey toward healing. Jolie’s latest comments make clear that she wants audiences to look beyond violence and focus on the human stories that remain afterward.

  • | | |

    Khamenei’s resurfaced message explains Iran’s …

    Tehran: A message previously shared by Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has resurfaced on social media during the Chehlum commemorations of Hazrat Imam Hussain (RA), drawing renewed attention to Iran’s stance against reaching a deal with the United States. The post, published on the social media platform X from Ayatollah Khamenei’s account, quotes a saying attributed to Imam Hussain (RA), emphasizing the duty to stand against oppression. The message states that those who fail to confront tyranny risk sharing the same fate as the oppressor. It concludes by saying that this principle is the reason Iran refuses to compromise with the United States, linking the country’s political position to its ideological beliefs. The message was originally posted on October 13, 2019, but has now been republished to coincide with the Chehlum observance honoring the martyrs of Karbala, highlighting the continued significance of its message in Iran’s political narrative.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *