china seeks houthi
|

China seeks Houthi assurances for safe passage of oil tankers in Red Sea

China has held direct discussions with Yemen’s Houthi movement in an effort to secure safe passage for its oil tankers through the southern Red Sea as regional tensions continue to disrupt one of the world’s busiest shipping routes. According to sources familiar with the talks, Beijing wants to ensure that vessels carrying energy supplies to China can travel without being targeted by attacks.

The negotiations follow the Houthis’ announcement on July 20 that they would block access to Saudi Arabian ports, expanding their military campaign during the ongoing regional conflict. The group said it would target ships linked to Saudi ports, raising fresh concerns over the safety of commercial shipping and global energy supplies.

Sources said China was among the first countries to contact the Houthis directly after the new restrictions were announced. Beijing reportedly requested guarantees that Chinese flagged or China bound tankers would be allowed to pass safely through the Bab el Mandeb Strait, a strategic waterway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. A senior Iranian official was among those who confirmed that the discussions had taken place.

China’s priority is to keep crude oil shipments moving from Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea export terminals, particularly the port of Yanbu. Maintaining those supplies has become increasingly important as disruptions around the Strait of Hormuz have reduced the flow of Iranian oil through another key maritime route. Officials believe uninterrupted shipments from Saudi Arabia will help stabilize China’s energy imports during the regional crisis.

Shipping data shows that at least four oil tankers carrying Saudi crude for China have successfully passed through the Bab el Mandeb Strait since the Houthis announced their blockade. Industry analysts said Chinese officials coordinated the passage of each vessel individually with the Houthi movement. Sources also indicated that both sides kept Iranian authorities informed throughout the process.

At the same time, the Houthis have warned international shipping companies that vessels loading or unloading cargo at Saudi Arabian ports could become military targets. The warning has increased concerns among shipping operators, prompting some vessels to reconsider their planned routes.

Two oil supertankers recently altered their journeys because of security fears. The New Champion, which was scheduled to load crude oil at Yanbu, and the New Prime, which was already carrying oil, both turned away from the Bab el Mandeb Strait and returned to open waters in the Gulf of Aden rather than continue through the high risk area.

Last week, the Houthis claimed responsibility for missile and drone attacks on two Saudi oil tankers, the Encelia and the Layla. Maritime security officials confirmed that the Encelia had been struck, adding to concerns over the safety of commercial vessels operating in the region.

The Red Sea remains one of the world’s most important trade routes because it provides the shortest sea connection between Europe and Asia. A direct journey from Yanbu to Asian markets through the Bab el Mandeb Strait normally takes around 16 days. However, ships that avoid the route and instead travel through the Suez Canal before sailing around the southern tip of Africa face voyages lasting about 50 days, significantly increasing fuel costs and delivery times.

Recent shipping data indicates that traffic through the Bab el Mandeb Strait has started to recover slightly despite ongoing security risks. Twenty eight vessels passed through the waterway on Monday, the highest daily total in four days, although traffic remained below the monthly peak recorded earlier in July. Of the 12 ships entering the Red Sea that day, four were oil tankers, showing that energy exports continue despite heightened regional tensions and continuing security concerns.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    State Bank of Pakistan keeps interest rate unchang…

    The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has decided to keep its benchmark policy interest rate unchanged at 11.50% following the latest meeting of its Monetary Policy Committee (MPC). The decision reflects the central bank’s cautious approach as it continues to monitor inflation, economic growth, and global developments that could influence Pakistan’s financial outlook. The policy rate has remained at 11.50% since April 27, with policymakers choosing to maintain the current stance despite recent inflationary pressures. During the meeting, the committee reviewed key economic indicators, inflation trends, and the potential impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East on Pakistan’s economy. Speaking at a press conference, SBP Governor Jameel Ahmad said inflation had eased significantly during the first half of the fiscal year. Average inflation between July and February stood at 5.5%, remaining within the lower end of the central bank’s target range. However, rising global oil prices, higher food costs, and increased shipping expenses triggered by tensions in the Middle East placed renewed pressure on prices in the following months. According to the central bank, inflation rose to 11.7% in May before easing slightly to 11.1% in June. The governor expressed optimism that inflation would begin to decline again from July, with a more noticeable improvement expected after September. For the current fiscal year, the SBP projects average inflation to remain close to 7%. The governor also highlighted improvements in Pakistan’s broader economic indicators. He noted that the country’s current account deficit narrowed significantly during the previous fiscal year to $139 million, while the current fiscal year’s deficit is expected to remain between zero and one percent of GDP. Strong remittance inflows have played a major role in supporting the external sector, with overseas Pakistanis expected to send around $44 billion this fiscal year, up from $41.6 billion in the previous year. The SBP also expects exports to improve gradually with government support, stronger performance from the information technology sector, and growth in food exports. While imports have increased, improved external financing has helped meet the country’s payment needs without creating excessive pressure on foreign exchange reserves. Pakistan’s foreign exchange reserves are projected to remain around $20.2 billion by the end of the year, while the country is expected to meet its external debt obligations through a combination of repayments, refinancing arrangements, and continued financial inflows. The central bank reaffirmed that it will continue to monitor domestic and international economic developments before making any future changes to monetary policy.

  • |

    Babar creates another captaincy milestone for Pakistan

    TRINIDAD: Pakistan captain Babar Azam added another milestone to his illustrious career after leading the national side for the 150th time in international cricket, joining legendary captains Imran Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq in one of Pakistan cricket’s most exclusive leadership clubs. The landmark came during the second Test against the West Indies, further cementing Babar’s place among the country’s most successful and experienced captains. The 31-year-old recently returned as Pakistan’s Test captain, replacing Shan Masood ahead of the team’s tours of the West Indies and England. His return marked a new chapter in a leadership journey that has already produced numerous records across all three formats. With 150 international matches as captain, Babar now stands third on Pakistan’s all-time list. Former World Cup-winning captain Imran Khan remains at the top with 187 matches, while Misbah-ul-Haq occupies second place with 151. Babar is also closing in on another remarkable achievement. He has guided Pakistan to 84 international victories, the second-highest by any Pakistan captain. Only Imran Khan, with 89 wins, has recorded more triumphs, while Misbah follows with 77 victories. Across his 150 matches in charge, Babar has registered 84 wins, 51 defeats, two ties, four draws and eight no-results, giving him an impressive overall winning percentage of 56 percent. Former captain Wasim Akram ranks fourth on Pakistan’s captaincy list with 134 international matches, followed by Inzamam-ul-Haq with 119 and Sarfaraz Ahmed with 100. Babar first captained Pakistan in T20 Internationals in October 2019 before taking charge of the ODI side in May 2020. Later that year, he was appointed Test captain, becoming the leader across all three formats. He stepped down from the role after Pakistan’s disappointing campaign at the 2023 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, but was reappointed white-ball captain in March 2024 before resigning again later that year to focus on his batting. Following Pakistan’s recent leadership changes, the Pakistan Cricket Board restored Babar as Test captain ahead of the current overseas assignments. Reaching 150 international matches as captain places Babar among Pakistan cricket’s greatest leaders, and with several years of international cricket still potentially ahead of him, he now has an opportunity to surpass Misbah-ul-Haq and move closer to Imran Khan’s long-standing captaincy record.

  • | |

    Pakistani student makes global mark with 10 LLB di…

    Pakistani student Diya Aneel Bhatia has reportedly achieved a major academic distinction by securing 10 distinctions in the three-year LLB (Honours) programme of the University of London. Bhatia belongs to Jamshoro, Sindh, and is studying at a private law college in Islamabad. She secured the highest marks worldwide in the programme, according to the information shared at a ceremony held in her honour. Her achievement was celebrated at a special ceremony at the Islamabad School of Law. Faculty members from the University of London also attended the event. They congratulated Bhatia and praised her academic performance. The ceremony also recognised other high-performing students. Shields were presented to the students for their outstanding results. Bhatia was among the students honoured for her exceptional performance. Her achievement has brought attention to the academic potential of Pakistani students studying international degree programmes. It has also highlighted the growing participation of Pakistani students in global legal education. Bhatia’s success has been particularly noted because of the number of distinctions she achieved during the LLB programme. Her performance placed her among the top-performing students internationally. Education experts and academics praised her achievement. They described it as a source of pride for Pakistan and an encouragement for other young students. Bhatia has also expressed her desire to use her education for a wider social purpose. She said she wants to work for Pakistani women, particularly women from minority communities. She aims to support women through education, legal awareness and greater access to opportunities. Her goal, she said, is to contribute to the empowerment of women and help them build stronger futures.

  • |

    Uganda football captain David Owere killed in robbery attack

    KAMPALA: Uganda’s football world has been plunged into mourning after national team captain David Owere died following a brutal attack during an alleged robbery near his home in Kampala. The 27-year-old footballer was reportedly confronted by suspected robbers in the Makindye area while they attempted to steal his mobile phone and other valuables. Police said Owere resisted the attackers, triggering a violent assault that left the young captain critically injured. Witnesses said the attackers allegedly pelted Owere with stones before fleeing the scene. He was found unconscious and was quickly taken to a nearby clinic for treatment. As his condition remained serious, Owere was later transferred to a private hospital. Despite receiving medical care, the footballer succumbed to his injuries, bringing a sudden and tragic end to the life of one of Uganda’s emerging football leaders. His death has shocked supporters and the football community across the country. Owere was a key figure for both the Uganda national team and SC Villa, one of Uganda’s most successful clubs. His versatility allowed him to play as a right-back as well as in midfield, while his leadership qualities earned him the captain’s armband. SC Villa paid an emotional tribute to their captain, saying the club had lost far more than a footballer. The Uganda Football Federation also mourned Owere, describing him as an exemplary leader who made an impact both on and off the pitch. The federation highlighted his influence on younger players and his role as an inspirational figure within Ugandan football. The circumstances of his death have raised concerns about violent crime in Kampala, with the alleged attack occurring close to the player’s home. Police are expected to investigate the incident and pursue those responsible for the attack. For Uganda’s football fans, Owere’s death is a devastating loss. At only 27, he had already established himself as a respected captain and leader, leaving behind teammates, supporters and a football community struggling to come to terms with his sudden death.

  • | |

    Israel revokes entry permits of US Jewish activist…

    JERUSALEM: Israel has withdrawn the entry permits of several American Jewish activists who took part in protests in the occupied West Bank against attacks on Palestinians and damage to their property, according to a report by US Jewish publication The Forward. Among those affected was activist Sam Sherman, who said his travel permit was canceled while he was participating in a seven-week volunteer programme in Masafer Yatta, where he had been working alongside Palestinian residents. Sherman told the publication that several members of his group received cancellation notices within minutes of one another. He said Israeli soldiers, police and armed settlers had photographed his passport during confrontations that he described as being initiated by settlers. According to Sherman, the activists had been peacefully spending time with local Palestinians but were treated by Israeli authorities as though their presence itself constituted a serious offence. The reported permit cancellations come amid continued tensions in the occupied West Bank, where confrontations involving Palestinians, Israeli settlers and security forces remain a major source of concern.

  • |

    PhD exams face explosive questions over quality

    A renewed debate over the reliability of PhD examinations has emerged following questions surrounding the doctoral thesis of Professor Jason Arday. Arday submitted his PhD thesis at Liverpool John Moores University in July 2015. The controversy resurfaced after Professor Richard Dawkins publicly questioned whether the thesis had been thoroughly examined. Other commentators have also raised concerns about its academic quality and allegations of plagiarism. The debate has now expanded beyond the individual case. It has prompted questions about how universities assess doctoral research and whether the existing system consistently maintains the required academic standards. A PhD normally represents several years of specialised research. A doctoral thesis can contain tens of thousands of words and often requires extensive academic reading and analysis. The assessment is generally carried out by two examiners. One is usually from the candidate’s university, while the other comes from an external institution. Critics argue that the workload involved in examining a thesis is not always matched by the financial compensation provided to examiners. Examiners are commonly paid a relatively modest fee for reviewing lengthy and complex research. This has raised concerns that some may not devote sufficient time to the process. There are also concerns about inconsistencies in examination decisions. Some candidates have reportedly failed their PhDs despite believing that their research met the required standard. Others have received a pass even when questions remained about the quality of their work. The appeal process can be particularly difficult for unsuccessful candidates. A failed PhD can mean years of research being lost. Students who finance their own studies can also face substantial financial losses. For those hoping to build academic careers, the consequences can be even more serious. Another issue is the selection of examiners. Supervisors often play a role in recommending academics to assess their students’ work. Critics say professional relationships within academia could potentially influence the choice of examiners or the assessment itself. Academic misconduct presents another challenge. Universities can spend considerable time investigating allegations of plagiarism and other forms of cheating. Lengthy investigations can involve hearings, appeals and administrative procedures. The discussion has also highlighted the subjective nature of academic assessment. Different examiners can sometimes reach different conclusions about the same research. In some cases, candidates who fail with one set of examiners may later receive a pass from another panel after an appeal. There is no suggestion that these concerns necessarily apply to Arday’s examination. The available debate does not establish whether his thesis met or failed to meet the required standard. However, the controversy has renewed calls for universities to examine their doctoral assessment systems. Questions include how examiners are selected, whether they receive adequate compensation, how thoroughly theses are reviewed and how allegations of academic misconduct are handled. The wider debate is therefore about more than one doctoral thesis. It raises fundamental questions about the credibility, consistency and accountability of the PhD examination process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *