producer claims netflix
|

Producer claims Netflix security failure cost Him $105 million 

 

A film producer has filed a lawsuit against Netflix, seeking $105 million in damages after claiming that a copy of his unreleased Nicolas Cage movie was stolen from the company’s Hollywood studios.

According to the lawsuit, producer Simon Afram alleges that Netflix failed to properly protect a master copy of his World War II drama, Fortitude, resulting in the loss of the film and causing significant financial harm. The legal complaint was filed in a California court on Wednesday.

The lawsuit states that Afram and his production team delivered an unencrypted master copy of Fortitude to Netflix in June after the streaming giant requested the film as part of discussions over a possible distribution deal. Afram reportedly invested more than $45 million in the project, which took around seven years to complete. At the time, the filmmakers were hoping to secure a distribution agreement with either Netflix or another major entertainment company.

However, only nine days after the film was delivered, the producers received an email from Netflix informing them that several hard drives had been stolen from the company’s offices. According to the lawsuit, the stolen items included the drive containing the only master copy of Fortitude.

The producers argue that the theft has severely damaged the commercial value of the movie. They claim that distributors are unlikely to purchase a film that could potentially be leaked online through piracy, making it a far riskier investment. They also contend that Netflix should have implemented stronger security measures to protect valuable and confidential film materials stored at its facilities.

According to the complaint, no major distributor would be willing to spend tens of millions of dollars acquiring and promoting a film while facing the possibility that an unauthorized copy could surface online at any moment. The producers believe this ongoing risk has effectively destroyed the movie’s market value, prompting them to seek at least $105 million in compensation.

Netflix has rejected the allegations and said it does not accept responsibility for the claimed losses. In a statement, the company argued that the filmmakers delivered the master copy without using standard industry security protections, including encryption, and therefore Netflix should not be held liable for any resulting damage.

The streaming service also emphasized that although it does not own the rights to Fortitude, it takes the security of film content seriously. Netflix said it launched an investigation into the theft after the incident and has continued monitoring piracy websites to ensure that unauthorized copies of the film do not appear online.

In addition, Netflix accused Afram’s legal team of acting in bad faith. The company said it chose not to share details of its internal investigation with the producer’s lawyers because it believed they were attempting to pressure Netflix into paying a large financial settlement instead of cooperating to address the situation.

The legal dispute is expected to focus on whether Netflix had a duty to safeguard the master copy of the film and whether the theft caused the financial losses claimed by the producers. The outcome of the case could have broader implications for how studios and streaming platforms handle the security of unreleased films during distribution negotiations.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Sahir Ali Bagga reveals why two singers rejected Pakistan Zindabad

    Pakistani musician and singer Sahir Ali Bagga has made a surprising revelation about one of his most notable patriotic projects, Pakistan Zindabad. The acclaimed composer recently disclosed that two prominent Pakistani singers were initially approached to perform the song but refused to sing it. Sahir Ali Bagga is one of the well-known names in Pakistan’s music industry. Over the years, he has established himself as a singer, composer and music producer, contributing to numerous popular songs and drama soundtracks. He has also composed successful tracks for leading artists, including Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. Known for his deep vocals and ability to hit powerful high notes, Bagga has delivered several memorable songs throughout his career. His popular compositions include Baazi, Mast Malang, Ehd-e-Wafa and Bharosa Pyar Tera. He also enjoys a massive following on Instagram, where more than 1.8 million people follow him. In recent months, his song Mastani has also attracted considerable attention, crossing 5.5 million views on YouTube. Bagga recently appeared on Ahmed Ali Butt’s podcast, Excuse Me, where he spoke openly about the making of Pakistan Zindabad. During the conversation, he revealed that the song was originally composed with two major Pakistani singers in mind. According to Bagga, both singers were expected to lend their voices to the patriotic track. However, neither agreed to perform it. He explained that one of the singers did not even listen to the composition and specifically refused to sing the song because Bagga had created it. The musician said that although he was disappointed by their response, he remained confident in his composition. Since the song had already received approval from the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Bagga ultimately decided to perform it himself. He further revealed that singing Pakistan Zindabad was particularly challenging because the composition required extremely high notes. Bagga admitted that he does not consider himself a high-note singer and had to put in significant effort to prepare for the performance. The singer explained that reaching such demanding notes required extensive practice. He worked hard on his vocals and rehearsed repeatedly before recording the song, eventually taking on the challenge himself. Pakistan Zindabad went on to become a major patriotic hit. The song was released on March 23, several years ago, and quickly gained widespread popularity among Pakistani audiences. Its energetic composition, patriotic lyrics and powerful vocal performance helped it become one of the memorable ISPR songs. The song has continued to attract viewers on YouTube and has reportedly accumulated around 249 million views. Bagga’s revelation about the singers who turned down the project has now added another interesting chapter to the story behind the hugely popular patriotic anthem. While he did not disclose the names of the two singers during the portion of the conversation shared, his comments have sparked curiosity among fans about which major artists originally declined the opportunity to perform Pakistan Zindabad.

  • | |

    Ryan Reynolds says he feels ‘so lucky’ after s…

    Ryan Reynolds is showing heartfelt appreciation for the fans who have supported his journey as Deadpool for the past decade. Following his surprise appearance at San Diego Comic-Con, the actor took to social media to express his gratitude, describing himself as “so lucky” to spend time with the passionate Marvel community ahead of the highly anticipated release of Avengers: Doomsday.  The 49-year-old actor made one of Comic-Con’s biggest surprises when he secretly roamed the convention floor dressed in a full Deadpool costume. Blending into the crowd without security or special treatment, Reynolds interacted with fans, admired elaborate cosplay, and experienced the event from the perspective of an ordinary attendee. Later, he joined Marvel Studios’ Hall H presentation, where his unexpected appearance sparked cheers from thousands of fans.  Shortly after the event, Reynolds shared a behind-the-scenes video on X, reflecting on how far the Deadpool franchise has come. “The fans got Deadpool off the ground so many years ago,” he wrote. Marking 10 years since the release of the first Deadpool film and two years since Deadpool & Wolverine, the actor added that he felt “so lucky” to be among fans “whose unapologetic devotion brings so much joy to this world.”  Reynolds also highlighted how meaningful the experience was because it allowed him to enjoy Comic-Con without barriers. “No handlers, no security, no ropes. WHAT A GIFT,” he wrote, thanking everyone he met throughout the day. He praised fans not only for dressing as their favorite characters but also for helping create the vibrant culture that has made Comic-Con one of the world’s biggest celebrations of pop culture.  His Hall H appearance added even more excitement to Marvel’s presentation for Avengers: Doomsday. Remaining in character as Deadpool, Reynolds delivered several humorous remarks and exchanged jokes with Robert Downey Jr., who is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Doom. While Marvel has yet to officially confirm the extent of Reynolds’ role in the upcoming blockbuster, his appearance immediately fueled speculation among fans.  The excitement surrounding Reynolds also comes as the actor has hinted that another Deadpool adventure is in development. Although he has not confirmed a release date or storyline, he recently revealed that he is actively working on ideas for the character’s future, keeping fans eager for what comes next.  With Avengers: Doomsday scheduled to arrive in theaters on December 18, 2026, Reynolds’ heartfelt message serves as a reminder that the success of Deadpool has always been driven by its loyal fanbase. As Marvel prepares for one of its biggest cinematic events, the actor’s gratitude has only strengthened the bond he shares with the millions of fans who continue to support the Merc with a Mouth. 

  • | |

    White House hit by Swift, Spider-Man backlash

    Questions are growing over the removal of Taylor Swift’s music from several social media videos associated with US President Donald Trump and the White House, as a separate controversy erupted over the administration’s use of Spider-Man in an immigration-related post. Neither Swift nor the White House has publicly explained why the songs were removed. The development has prompted speculation among fans about whether the singer or her representatives objected to the use of her music. The controversy comes as the White House faces criticism over a social media post featuring Spider-Man in connection with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The post used images styled around the superhero’s web-slinging abilities. It portrayed people being caught in a web alongside a message referring to the detention and deportation of undocumented immigrants. The White House caption described the imagery as coming from “your friendly neighborhood ICE agents.” The post quickly triggered criticism from Spider-Man fans, with many users calling on Marvel Studios to take action over the unauthorised use of the character for political messaging. Several commenters urged Marvel to seek the removal of the post, while others argued that Spider-Man should not be associated with the administration’s immigration policies. Marvel Studios has not publicly responded to the controversy or indicated whether it plans to challenge the White House over the use of Spider-Man. The backlash has also drawn comparisons with the recent disappearance of Swift’s songs from Trump-related and White House social media content. Swift has previously been politically outspoken. In the 2024 US presidential election, she endorsed Democratic candidate Kamala Harris, who was then serving as vice president, rather than Trump. However, Swift has not recently made public comments about Trump in connection with the latest developments. The absence of an official explanation has left fans debating whether the removal of her music was requested by the singer herself, prompted by licensing issues or resulted from another decision by the White House or Trump campaign. The two controversies have unfolded at the same time, prompting renewed discussion about the use of entertainment figures, music and popular fictional characters in political communication.

  • | |

    Cheryl Tweedy reportedly in early talks for tell-a…

    Cheryl Tweedy is reportedly in the early stages of discussions for a new documentary that would explore her life, career, and personal journey, offering audiences a closer look at one of Britain’s most recognisable entertainers. While no official announcement has been made, reports suggest several major streaming platforms are interested in the project. The documentary is expected to trace Cheryl’s rise to fame, beginning with her breakthrough on Popstars: The Rivals in 2002. From there, it would revisit the phenomenal success of Girls Aloud, one of the UK’s best-selling girl groups, before following her transition into a successful solo music career and later television appearances. According to reports, the project would also reflect on the challenges and milestones that have shaped Cheryl’s life over the past two decades. Insiders claim she has been highly selective about returning to the public eye after spending recent years largely out of the spotlight, focusing on raising her son, Bear, following the passing of Liam Payne. Streaming giants including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Apple TV+ are reportedly among the platforms interested in securing the documentary. Although negotiations are said to be at an early stage, the possibility of a major streaming release has already generated significant interest online. Fans have responded with mixed reactions across social media. Many are excited by the prospect of hearing Cheryl tell her story in her own words and revisiting defining moments from her career. Others, however, hope she will return to music instead, expressing a desire for new songs rather than a documentary. Questions also remain about how candid the programme might be. Viewers are speculating whether Cheryl will address some of the controversies and highly publicised moments that have surrounded her throughout her career or whether the documentary will focus primarily on her professional achievements and personal growth. Until an official confirmation arrives, the reported project remains the subject of widespread discussion, with many eager to see whether Cheryl will share her story in what could become one of the year’s most talked-about documentary releases. https://www.aol.co.uk/articles/cheryl-tweedys-big-comeback-plans-081502000.html

  • | |

    Jungkook asks fans to stop shoving cameras in his face

    BTS member Jungkook has addressed fans directly after a series of privacy violations left him visibly frustrated, drawing a clear line between genuine fan support and behaviour that crosses into rudeness and disrespect. During a live session on Weverse, Jungkook spoke candidly about an incident that had clearly bothered him. He described going into a bakery to simply buy bread when a fan shoved a camera directly into his face without warning or permission. “Taking pictures together isn’t a problem, but I went in to get some bread and there was someone who shoved a camera in my face. That’s not good manners,” he said, adding plainly that this kind of behaviour was “kind of rude.” It was not an angry outburst. It was a measured and direct appeal from someone who has consistently tried to maintain a warm relationship with his fanbase while also asking to be treated like a human being rather than a subject for content creation. This is not the first time Jungkook has raised these concerns. He has previously spoken about fans showing up near his home, sending unsolicited deliveries and tracking his private movements and whereabouts. Each time, he has responded with patience and directness, asking people to reconsider whether what they were doing was genuinely supportive or simply intrusive. The latest comments come at a significant moment for BTS as a group. The band is currently preparing for its highly anticipated group comeback, with all members having completed or in the process of completing their mandatory military service in South Korea. Fans have been eagerly watching every update, which may partly explain the heightened intensity of interest in the members’ private lives during this period. But for Jungkook, that context does not change the basic principle he was articulating. The response from the BTS ARMY was largely supportive. Many fans took to social media to echo his message, encouraging other supporters to engage with the group’s work in ways that did not involve crossing personal boundaries. The conversations that followed touched on a broader tension that exists within large, dedicated fanbases, where the line between admiration and intrusion can blur, sometimes without the fan even realising it. Jungkook’s willingness to address the issue directly, on his own terms, in a live conversation with fans rather than through a formal statement, reflects a specific kind of relationship he has always tried to maintain. He speaks to his audience honestly and without pretence, which is precisely why the message landed the way it did. Respecting a public figure’s private moments is not a complicated ask. When someone is simply trying to buy bread, the most supportive thing a fan can do is let them.

  • |

    UFC flyweight Allan Nascimento passes away at 34

    Brazilian UFC fighter Allan Nascimento has died at the age of 34 after suffering a heart attack. The UFC confirmed that Nascimento was discovered unconscious at his home on the morning of August 3. Medical personnel responded and attempted to save him, but their efforts were unsuccessful. According to reports from US media outlets, the heart attack occurred while he was asleep. Nascimento was an active member of the UFC’s flyweight division. His most recent fight took place in June, where he faced off against Mach Raposo and came up short. That bout ended up being his final appearance in the octagon. His journey in mixed martial arts began gaining wider attention back in 2018. That year, he stood out on Dana White’s Contender Series, a platform known for spotlighting rising talent and helping fighters earn a spot on the UFC roster. From there, Nascimento went on to build a respected career inside the promotion. Over the years, he became known for delivering exciting performances inside the cage. That reputation earned him the Fight of the Night bonus on two separate occasions, a recognition given to the most thrilling matchups on a fight card. Flyweight competition is known for its speed and technical precision, and Nascimento carved out his place among a talented group of fighters in that division. His ability to consistently put on entertaining fights made him a familiar name among fans who followed the weight class closely. News of his passing has understandably affected the wider MMA community. Fighters, fans, and analysts alike have taken time to reflect on his career and the impact he had inside the octagon. At just 34 years old, his death serves as a stark reminder of how sudden and unpredictable health emergencies can be, even among athletes known for their physical conditioning and discipline. For now, tributes continue to come in from within the sport, with many remembering Nascimento not just for his fighting style, but for the dedication he brought to his craft throughout his career.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *