rain fails dampen
| |

Rain fails to dampen Khalistan referendum turnout …

INDIANAPOLIS: A large number of members of the Sikh community participated in a Khalistan referendum held in Indianapolis, Indiana, despite rainy weather, as organizers called for the creation of an independent Sikh state.

The event was organized by Sikhs for Justice, with participants travelling from different cities and states across the United States. Organizers said voting continued despite the rain, with women and children also among those attending. Polling was scheduled to remain open until 6pm, after which organizers were expected to announce the final turnout.

Pro-Khalistan slogans were raised during the event, while some participants also expressed support for Kashmir’s independence.

Ghazala Habib, chairperson of Friends of Kashmir, addressed the gathering and said she was the only non-Sikh speaker to speak from the stage.

Vikramjit Singh, a representative associated with the Khalistan Referendum Campaign, said the initiative was launched in 2020 but faced disruptions because of the COVID-19 pandemic. He said the first voting event under the campaign was held in London on October 31, 2021, attracting thousands of Sikh participants.

According to Singh, subsequent voting events were organized in countries including the United Kingdom, Australia, Switzerland, Italy and Canada. He said Canada hosted three events in Toronto, two in Vancouver and another in Calgary, while the United States has held voting in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and now Indianapolis.

Singh claimed that nearly two million Sikhs worldwide had participated in the campaign so far. However, the figure could not be independently verified.

He accused the Indian government of committing historical injustices against Sikhs, citing the 1984 attack that damaged the Akal Takht and subsequent violence against the Sikh community, as well as what he described as the exploitation of Punjab’s economic resources.

Singh said supporters of the movement wanted to pursue their demand through peaceful and democratic means. He called for a formal referendum in Punjab whose outcome, according to him, would have legal and political effect for all parties.

Organizers said details of the Indianapolis vote and the next stage of the campaign would be announced after polling concludes. The campaign is expected to hold another referendum in Canada on October 18, although the specific city has not yet been confirmed.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Transgender protest turns violent in Karachi

    Police have arrested three transgender persons after registering a case over an alleged attack on the Boat Basin police station in Karachi. The case was lodged by the state following an incident that took place a few days ago. According to police officials, a large group of transgender persons allegedly entered the police station in an agitated state and created unrest inside the premises. They are accused of pelting stones, damaging government property and disrupting official work. Police said the protesters allegedly smashed the windows of vehicles parked at the police station. They also damaged the glass panels of a police mobile and vandalized equipment linked to the Safe City surveillance system. Authorities said the doors of the Safe City monitoring room were also broken during the incident. Officials stated that police personnel tried to calm the protesters and asked them to remain peaceful. However, they claimed that the group continued its protest and refused to leave the premises. According to the First Information Report (FIR), the protesters also allegedly assaulted members of the public who were present at the police station despite repeated warnings from police officers. Eight transgender persons have been nominated in the case, while investigations are continuing to identify and arrest the remaining suspects. Police said the protest erupted after officials detained several beggars under the Beggary Act on the instructions of the assistant commissioner. During the operation, one transgender person reportedly suffered a nosebleed while being taken into custody. According to police, the injury occurred during the detention process. They alleged that the protesters later presented the incident as a case of police torture, which triggered the protest outside and inside the police station. Authorities said an investigation is underway to determine the exact sequence of events. Police are also reviewing available evidence, including surveillance footage, to identify everyone involved in the alleged vandalism and attacks on government property.

  • | | |

    Pakistan slams Houthi threats to Saudi Arabia

    Pakistan has strongly condemned the Houthi militia’s threats against Saudi Arabia and commercial shipping in the Red Sea, describing the actions as a serious threat to regional peace, international trade and maritime security. In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Foreign Office said Pakistan unequivocally rejects the continued threats directed at the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and vessels involved in lawful commercial activities. It stressed that freedom of navigation and the uninterrupted movement of global trade must be protected at all costs. The statement came after Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi movement announced a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia. The group declared that ships linked to the kingdom could become targets, saying the move was a response to what it described as Saudi actions in Yemen. Pakistan said any threat to commercial shipping violates international law and undermines the rules-based maritime order. The Foreign Office warned that such actions not only endanger regional security but also put global commerce and energy supplies at risk. Islamabad expressed particular concern over reports that commercial vessels trading with Saudi Arabia could be targeted. The Foreign Office said attacks or threats against civilian shipping are unacceptable and could have serious consequences for international trade. Reaffirming its commitment to protecting national interests, Pakistan warned that any hostile act against Pakistani-flagged ships or Pakistan’s maritime assets would be treated as a grave threat to the country’s sovereignty and national security. The statement added that Pakistan reserves the right to take all necessary measures, including lawful self-defense under the United Nations Charter and international law, to protect its maritime interests if required. Pakistan also voiced concern over attempts to widen the ongoing Middle East conflict by dragging Saudi Arabia into the regional confrontation. The Foreign Office reiterated Islamabad’s unwavering support for the security, sovereignty, territorial integrity and prosperity of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The government urged all parties to exercise maximum restraint and avoid further escalation. It called for dialogue, diplomacy and peaceful solutions to resolve disputes while emphasizing the importance of protecting international shipping routes. The Foreign Office stressed that ensuring the safety of maritime trade is essential for global economic stability. It said uninterrupted navigation through international waterways is critical for maintaining the flow of energy supplies and commercial goods across the world. The Houthi announcement has raised fresh concerns among governments and shipping companies over the security of the Red Sea, one of the world’s busiest maritime corridors. The Bab el-Mandeb Strait serves as a vital gateway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and is a key route for oil exports from the Gulf to international markets.

  • |

    Madhuri Dixit returns to TV as Marathi KBC host

    Madhuri Dixit is all set to make her much-awaited return to television, this time stepping into the role of a host after nearly 24 years. The Bollywood icon will be taking charge of Kon Honar Crorepati, the Marathi adaptation of the popular quiz show Kaun Banega Crorepati. The announcement marks an exciting new chapter for the 59-year-old actress, who has already built a strong connection with television audiences through her previous appearances as a judge and host. Madhuri expressed her excitement about joining the show, describing the opportunity as an honour and highlighting the programme’s ability to inspire people through knowledge, determination and ambition. According to Madhuri, Kon Honar Crorepati is not simply a quiz-based programme. She believes the show celebrates curiosity, aspirations, hope and the courage people show while chasing their dreams. As someone who proudly identifies with Maharashtra, she is especially excited about interacting with contestants, listening to their personal journeys and watching their dreams unfold on the iconic hot seat. The upcoming season will carry the tagline “Aata Khel Badalnar,” signalling that the game is about to take a new turn. With Madhuri at the centre of the show, viewers can expect a fresh hosting style and a different energy from previous seasons. Although many fans primarily know Madhuri for her celebrated film career, she is no stranger to television. She first stepped into hosting in 2002 with the matchmaking show Kahin Na Kahin Koi Hai. Her appearance came years before matrimonial reality programmes became a major part of Indian television. Madhuri later became a familiar face on reality television through her judging roles. She served as a judge on popular dance-based programmes including Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa and Dance Deewane, where her knowledge of dance and warm personality made her a favourite among viewers. The Kaun Banega Crorepati format, meanwhile, has traditionally been strongly associated with Amitabh Bachchan. The veteran actor has hosted almost every season of the original Hindi version since its launch in 2000. The major exception came during the third season, when Shah Rukh Khan took over as host. The Marathi version has also seen several prominent personalities in the host’s chair. Actors such as Sachin Khedekar and Swapnil Joshi, along with filmmaker Nagraj Manjule, have previously led different seasons of Kon Honar Crorepati. Madhuri’s appointment also makes history within the Indian Crorepati franchise. She becomes only the second woman to host a version of the format in India. Actress Radhikaa Sarathkumar previously hosted the Tamil edition. With one of Bollywood’s most recognisable stars now leading the Marathi edition, expectations are high for the upcoming season. Kon Honar Crorepati is scheduled to premiere soon on SonyLIV.

  • |

    Trump appoints Will Scharf as new White House counsel

    US President Donald Trump has named Will Scharf as the incoming White House counsel and assistant to the president, succeeding David Warrington on September 1, 2026. Warrington, who previously served as general counsel for Trump’s campaign and managed initial administration legal affairs, will be departing for the private sector. Scharf currently serves as the White House staff secretary, a role where he manages the daily flow of papers and documents reaching the president’s desk. In addition to these duties, he chairs the National Capital Planning Commission, where he helped fast-track approvals for a controversial $400 million White House ballroom project. A former federal prosecutor and appellate law clerk, Scharf joined Trump’s personal legal team in 2023. He played a central role in defending Trump across several high-profile legal battles, including the federal election interference case and the landmark presidential immunity ruling before the US Supreme Court. In his new post, Scharf will lead the administration’s legal strategy. His responsibilities will include overseeing executive privilege, managing judicial nominations, liaising with the Department of Justice, and preparing for potential congressional inquiries ahead of the upcoming midterm elections.

  • | |

    Sindh Police Chief admits lapses in Mir Raza murde…

    KARACHI: Sindh Inspector General of Police Javed Alam Odho has acknowledged shortcomings in the handling of the Mir Raza murder case, assuring that the investigation is now being pursued transparently in light of fresh medico-legal findings. Speaking at a ceremony organised by the Sindh Bar Council, the provincial police chief described the killing of Mir Raza as deeply regrettable and said weaknesses had occurred during the handling of the case. He said a new investigation team had been directed to conduct an independent and transparent probe based on the latest medico-legal report. The IG added that the authorities would take action in accordance with the law if any wrongdoing or negligence by officials was established. Asked whether the family had demanded action against members of the previous investigation team, Odho said the police would take whatever action was legally required. He declined to comment further, saying the investigation was still under way. Addressing lawyers, the IG emphasised the importance of cooperation between the police and legal community, describing both as key components of the criminal justice system. He said police and lawyers needed to work together to strengthen the justice system and resolve disputes through dialogue rather than confrontation. Odho claimed that disciplinary action had been taken against around 27,000 police personnel over the past seven months and urged the Sindh Bar Council to make full use of its legal authority. He said Sindh has around 160,000 police personnel, of whom approximately 132,000 are currently deployed on duty. According to the IG, the overall law and order situation in Karachi has improved, with reported crime declining by around 14 per cent. The remarks come as investigators face increasing scrutiny over the circumstances surrounding Mir Raza’s death. Authorities have now been directed to examine the case afresh, with the latest medico-legal evidence expected to play a key role in determining what went wrong during the initial investigation.

  • |

    Vaneeza Ahmed reveals menopause impact on her marriage life

    Vaneeza Ahmed, one of Pakistan’s most celebrated former models and actresses, has opened up about her personal experience with menopause and the significant impact it had on her physical and emotional well-being. The former top model enjoyed a successful career in the fashion industry before making a strong mark in acting. Over the years, she appeared in several popular dramas, including Tum Se Mil Ker, Zanjeer, Na Janay Kia Hoga and Tum Hi To Ho. In recent years, she continued to impress audiences with her performances in acclaimed projects such as Ehd-e-Wafa and Kuch Ankahi. Now 55, Vaneeza is married and is a mother of two daughters. She has also become increasingly vocal about women’s health, particularly the physical and emotional challenges women can experience during menopause. During a recent appearance on Nida Yasir’s morning show, Vaneeza spoke candidly about how menopause affected her personality, emotions and relationship with her husband. She explained that she experienced significant changes in her body and struggled with frequent mood swings and irritability. According to Vaneeza, she initially did not understand why she was suddenly reacting differently to situations that she had previously tolerated. Her emotional changes also began creating tension in her marriage. She said her husband questioned what had happened to her, while the lack of understanding about menopause contributed to emotional distance between them. The actress explained that hormonal changes during menopause can affect women’s emotions and responses. She noted that women may suddenly find themselves less willing to tolerate things they previously ignored, which can sometimes lead others to describe them as rude, stubborn or difficult. Vaneeza stressed that women and their families need greater awareness about menopause so these changes are not misunderstood. She also highlighted the importance of paying attention to mental health during this stage of life. Sharing advice with married women, Vaneeza encouraged them not to neglect themselves while managing their family responsibilities. She clarified that prioritizing personal well-being does not mean abandoning relationships, but rather making health a priority. She recommended maintaining a healthy routine, exercising regularly and making time for activities that bring happiness and relaxation. Vaneeza also encouraged women to reconnect with simple activities they enjoyed during childhood. With a lighthearted suggestion, she advised women to turn on their favorite music, dance and simply enjoy the moment. Her message focused on self-care, movement and giving women permission to take time for themselves. Vaneeza’s candid discussion has highlighted the importance of understanding menopause as a natural stage of life rather than treating its emotional and physical effects as a personal failing. Her experience also serves as a reminder that greater awareness and communication can help women and their families navigate this transition with more empathy and understanding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *