houston police shoot
|

Houston Police shoot gunman after random road atta…

HOUSTON: Police in Houston shot and wounded an armed man after he allegedly opened fire at passing vehicles, injuring three people, including a mother and her daughter, US media reported.

The incident unfolded on Saturday, with police receiving a report of the shooting at around 11am. Officers rushed to the scene after reports that an armed individual was firing at vehicles travelling along the road.

According to police, officers ordered the man to drop his weapon when they arrived. The suspect allegedly failed to comply, prompting officers to open fire.

Police said the man was struck by multiple rounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. His current condition and identity have not been released.

No police officers were reported injured during the confrontation.

Witnesses described a frightening scene in which the gunman stood in the middle section of the roadway and appeared to fire indiscriminately at vehicles passing by.

One witness told local media that the shooter seemed unconcerned about which vehicles he was targeting and that some of the cars had children inside.

Police said a mother and her daughter were among those wounded after they were shot while travelling in one vehicle. A third person in another vehicle was also injured.

All three victims were transported to hospital. Authorities have not immediately released details about their conditions.

The motive behind the shooting remains unclear, and investigators are working to establish what led to the attack and whether the suspect knew any of the victims.

The incident has once again raised concerns about random gun violence in public places, particularly when busy roads and passing motorists become targets.

Police have urged anyone who witnessed the shooting or has relevant information to cooperate with investigators as the inquiry continues.

Authorities are expected to review witness accounts, surveillance footage and other evidence gathered from the scene as they work to reconstruct the sequence of events.

Officials have not yet announced whether the suspect will face charges, with the investigation still underway.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Raja Pervaiz Ashraf urges PPP to boycott final AJK…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) leader Raja Pervaiz Ashraf on Sunday said the party should consider rejecting the results of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) elections and boycott the third phase of polling, alleging widespread irregularities and electoral misconduct. Speaking at a press conference alongside PPP leader Sherry Rehman and other party members in Islamabad, the former prime minister clarified that the proposal reflected his personal opinion, adding that the final decision would be made by the party’s central leadership. Ashraf alleged that the elections were neither free, fair nor transparent, warning that such results would fail to gain public acceptance. He said political workers were well aware of constituencies where the party had strong support and accused the authorities of manipulating outcomes in areas where the PPP expected to perform well. Expressing disappointment over the second phase of the AJK elections, he said the PPP had already submitted documented evidence of irregularities during the first phase. He referred to one constituency where polling could not be held because election materials allegedly failed to reach polling stations. Ashraf questioned the explanation, saying election materials are normally delivered a day before polling and not on election day. He argued that such failures reflected serious administrative shortcomings. The PPP leader also alleged that party workers were assaulted and forcibly removed from polling stations during voting. He said the PPP had formed a joint committee with its coalition partner, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), after the first phase in the hope that the Election Commission would ensure greater vigilance during the second phase. However, he claimed that similar incidents were repeated despite those efforts. While acknowledging that the PML-N remains a coalition ally, Ashraf questioned the party’s role in the alleged irregularities. He asked whether such conduct was consistent with democratic values and said transparent elections were the Election Commission’s foremost constitutional responsibility. He further alleged that the Chief Election Commissioner had failed to take action on any major complaint and accused the Election Commission of acting under the influence of a political party. According to Ashraf, the overall conduct of the elections suggested that the process had been pre-planned. The former prime minister also alleged that current AJK Speaker and Acting President Chaudhry Latif Akbar was physically attacked by PML-N supporters. He claimed that Akbar was abused, assaulted and punched during the incident, criticising attempts to describe the episode as a mere verbal altercation. Ashraf further claimed that a long-time PPP worker was killed in the Khawra constituency and questioned the credibility of an electoral process in which, he alleged, violence had overshadowed voting. He also referred to the Kotli constituency, where polling reportedly could not be completed because election materials did not reach polling stations, saying it was the Election Commission’s responsibility to ensure timely delivery. He added that voting was also suspended at several polling stations in the constituency of Bazil Naqvi.

  • Energy Minister: No Fuel Crisis for Thailand Despite Mideast War

    BANGKOK — Thailand does not face a fuel crisis as a consequence of the Mideast war, Energy Minister Atthapol Rerkpiboon said on Tuesday, seeking to calm public concerns amid localized shortages and panic-buying in some provinces. Thailand has enough oil for local consumption, but prices will rise: Government Supplies are being delivered gradually, according to […]

  • |

    Nearly 100 children wrongly detained as adults under UK-France migration deal

    At least 94 children were mistakenly identified as adults and held in immigration detention under Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s “one in, one out” agreement with France, according to details disclosed in a letter from the Independent Monitoring Boards (IMB). Between August 2025 and May 2026, Home Office officials recorded 304 age-disputed cases arising from the scheme, officially named Operation Hillmore, with 31% ultimately confirmed to be minors. Standard UK policy strictly prohibits the detention of unaccompanied minors beyond 24 hours. The critical findings, sent to Home Office Minister Anna Turley by interim IMB chair Jane Leech, highlighted severe safeguarding and procedural failures. Age assessments at immigration removal centers took up to 40 days to resolve in certain instances, while some individuals faced deportation delays of up to 27 weeks, far exceeding the scheme’s 28-day target. Additionally, detainees were slated for removal despite requiring urgent hospital care or suffering from active tuberculosis. The Refugee Council condemned the findings, urging the government to rely on social-worker-led assessments rather than administrative border checks. In response, a Home Office spokesperson stated that age assessment procedures are being modernized, including plans to roll out AI tools next year to support determinations.

  • | |

    NCLEX programme under fire: only 7 nurses pass out…

    Islamabad: A Government backed programme designed to help Pakistani nurses qualify for international jobs came under strong questioning in the National Assembly after lawmakers raised concerns over the transparency, student selection and results of the NCLEX Nursing Training Programme. The National Assembly Standing Committee on Federal Education and Professional Training questioned how a Rs 150 million programme selected its training partner and why only seven nurses had cleared the NCLEX exam out of 500 trainees so far. The committee supported opportunities for Pakistani nurses to work abroad but demanded complete transparency regarding the programme’s planning, the selection of the implementing partner, and the use of public money. The issue was discussed during the 25th meeting of the committee, where members reviewed the performance and implementation of the NCLEX Nursing Training Programme launched by the National Vocational and Technical Training Commission (NAVTTC). NAVTTC Executive Director Muhammad Amir Jan informed the committee that before this initiative, Pakistani nurses had to travel to countries such as Dubai, Bahrain, Turkey and Thailand to appear in the NCLEX examination. He said that with support from SIFC, NAVTTC was given responsibility to bring the examination system to Pakistan for the first time through Pearson VUE during 2024 and 2025. Officials informed the committee that the programme was designed to train 500 nurses. The training phase has been completed, 182 nurses have applied for the NCLEX examination and seven nurses have successfully cleared the test. However, members questioned the low success rate and asked whether the programme was producing the expected results. One committee member pointed out that seven successful candidates out of 500 trainees represented a very small percentage and questioned whether the programme needed improvements before more public funds were spent. NAVTTC officials defended the programme, saying that NCLEX is a difficult international examination and nurses who pass the test still require additional time before moving abroad for employment. Officials said nurses might need eight to eighteen months after passing the exam before they can travel for work opportunities. The committee also raised questions about the selection of the implementing partner, the Institute of Contemporary Studies. Members questioned whether a public advertisement was issued before selecting the organisation or if other institutions were given an opportunity to compete. They said programmes funded through public money must follow transparent procedures to maintain public confidence. NAVTTC officials explained that the programme was developed under an industry led model and was based on a proposal received from the Pakistan Nursing and Midwifery Council. They said such programmes do not always follow open advertisement procedures because they are based on specific industry requirements. However, members questioned whether a government body could recommend a specific private organisation without a competitive process. The committee also raised concerns about the role of the Pakistan Nursing and Midwifery Council. Members noted that in previous discussions, representatives of the council had stated they were not fully aware of the nurse selection process and training arrangements. NAVTTC officials responded that the council had formally approached NAVTTC for the project and that decisions taken by government bodies should be accepted by all stakeholders involved. Financial matters also came under discussion. NAVTTC informed the committee that the total project cost was Rs 150 million and that Rs 87 million had been released so far. Officials clarified that the remaining funds would be released only after achieving agreed results under a performance-based payment system. They said a bank guarantee was also available to protect government funds. The committee also questioned the quality and locations of the training centres. MNA Dr Shazia Sobia Aslam Soomro raised concerns about some training locations, including Matta in Swat, and asked how proper facilities and monitoring were ensured in those areas. NAVTTC officials responded that Khyber Medical University conducted training in Matta and promised to provide complete details of nurses trained there. Questions were also raised about trainer qualifications. Members asked how individuals with nursing degrees could provide NCLEX preparation training. Officials explained that trainers must themselves be NCLEX qualified according to programme requirements. The committee further discussed the selection of nurses for training. NAVTTC officials said their role was to set eligibility criteria, not directly select candidates. They explained that under the pay for success model, the training provider selects participants because the provider is responsible for results. At the conclusion of the meeting, the committee decided to invite the Pakistan Nursing and Midwifery Council in the next session to clarify the selection process of nurses and the appointment of the training partner. Chairperson Mahtab Akbar Rashdi said that every concern must be properly addressed because public funds were involved and the programme was created to provide international opportunities for Pakistani nurses.

  • | |

    SBP asked to fix banking gaps after complaints of …

    Islamabad: The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) came under pressure in the Senate after lawmakers raised concerns over complaints from customers, including Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs), who faced difficulties with commercial banks and alleged delays in resolving their issues. The Senate Standing Committee on Finance and Revenue questioned why banks and the SBP failed to establish clear and uniform procedures despite earlier directions to create dedicated officers and better complaint handling systems. During the meeting, Member National Assembly Muhammad Moin Amir Pirzada informed the committee that his bank account was closed in April 2026 and despite repeated communication with the concerned bank and the State Bank of Pakistan, he did not receive a satisfactory response. He told the committee that such situations show the need for a proper yearly data update system and clear banking procedures so customers do not face unnecessary difficulties. The committee learned that no common Standard Operating Procedures had been developed across the banking sector despite previous recommendations. Governor State Bank acknowledged the concerns and informed the committee that rules for dealing with Politically Exposed Persons already exist. He said the problem occurred at the branch level and assured lawmakers that steps would be taken to improve implementation. The Governor informed the committee that a backup officer had already been assigned and a dedicated focal person would also be appointed to handle such matters. The committee stressed that all banks must follow the same procedures so customers receive equal treatment and complaints are resolved quickly. Federal Minister for Finance also supported the need for standard procedures and said proper systems are necessary for better customer service and effective complaint resolution. The committee meeting, chaired by Senator Saleem Mandviwalla, also discussed wider banking issues including customer charges, investment policies and employee matters. Members raised concerns about banking service charges, especially SMS alerts and card transactions. The State Bank Governor informed the committee that SMS alerts are optional, allowing customers to choose whether to use the service. He said banks are also introducing alternative options such as mobile application and email alerts for customers. The Governor clarified that Visa card transactions conducted within Pakistan would not be charged in US dollars. He also informed the committee that banks are currently covering around Rs80 billion annually under the Pakistan Remittance Initiative. Committee members appreciated the reforms under the initiative, stating these steps have helped save significant costs. The committee also discussed complaints regarding dress code instructions in some banks. Senator Dr. Zarqa Suharwardy Taimur raised concerns that some female employees were allegedly pressured to wear abayas. Senator Sherry Rehman stated that no employee should be forced to adopt a specific type of clothing. The State Bank Governor informed the committee that previous recommendations had already been communicated to banks. He clarified that the committee had only recommended a modest dress code and had not ordered banks to impose any particular clothing. The committee directed all banks to submit their human resource dress code policies and instructed SBP to issue updated guidelines to ensure employees are not placed under unnecessary pressure. The committee also reviewed concerns related to investment protection policies. Senator Manzoor Ahmed suggested that incentives provided to the Reko Diq project should also be considered for other investment projects in Pakistan. Finance Ministry officials informed the committee that only one project currently meets the existing criteria and the government’s financial position does not allow similar benefits for all projects. The Finance Minister assured the committee that future proposals would be reviewed according to available resources.

  • | |

    Human-like robotic head amazes people with realist…

    The gap between humans and machines is becoming smaller as robotics technology continues to advance. A Chinese startup has introduced a highly advanced robotic head that can imitate human facial expressions, attracting attention for its realistic movements and lifelike appearance. The company reportedly behind the innovation is AgiHead Farm, founded in 2024 by Columbia University engineer Yuhang Hu. The startup introduced the robotic head known as Origin M1, which aims to create more natural interaction between humans and machines. Unlike traditional robots that often display limited movements, the robotic head is designed to reproduce subtle facial expressions. These include eyebrow movements, slight smiles, eye movements, and other small changes that are important for human communication. The robot uses a silicone-based outer layer and a network of miniature motors placed beneath the surface. These motors work similarly to human facial muscles by expanding and contracting to create different expressions. This technology allows the robot to respond in a way that appears more natural compared with earlier robotic systems. The robotic head is also equipped with cameras hidden inside its eyes, allowing it to observe its surroundings and track movement. Built-in microphones and speakers enable it to listen and communicate with people, creating the possibility of more interactive human-machine conversations. The advanced technology comes with a high price tag. According to reports, the most sophisticated version of the robotic head costs around $150,000, making it primarily a product for research institutions, technology companies, and specialized applications. The company aims to further improve the system by adding lip-sync technology and advanced artificial intelligence models. Future versions could potentially understand human speech better and respond with facial expressions that match the tone and emotions of a conversation. Experts believe that realistic facial expressions are one of the biggest challenges in developing human-like robots. While robots have made significant progress in movement and artificial intelligence, creating machines that communicate naturally through facial expressions remains a complex field. The development of lifelike robotic faces represents a major step in robotics research. As artificial intelligence and robotics continue to evolve, technologies like Origin M1 could influence future applications in education, healthcare, customer service, and human-computer interaction.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *