russian missile strike
|

Russian missile strike kills 9 in Kyiv

At least nine people were killed and 23 others injured after Russia launched a missile attack on Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, on Saturday morning, according to Ukrainian emergency authorities.

The Ukrainian Emergency Service said the casualties included two young boys. Officials also reported that one of the injured victims remained in critical condition as rescue and emergency teams continued their operations across the affected areas.

The missile strike caused extensive damage to several buildings and triggered fires at multiple locations in the capital. Emergency workers rushed to the scene to extinguish the fires, secure damaged structures and search through piles of debris for survivors. Rescue teams continued clearing the rubble in an effort to locate anyone who might still be trapped beneath collapsed sections of buildings.

The attack added to growing concerns over the security situation in Kyiv, which has faced an increase in Russian missile and drone strikes in recent months. Ukrainian authorities have repeatedly warned that Russian attacks continue to pose a serious threat to civilians as well as critical infrastructure.

The latest assault also renewed Ukraine’s calls for stronger air defence capabilities. Kyiv has been pressing its Western allies to provide additional advanced defence systems and ammunition, arguing that stronger air protection remains essential to defending major cities and strategic facilities from Russian missile and drone attacks.

Ukraine has particularly sought additional Patriot air defence systems, which can intercept certain types of high-speed missiles and provide protection against aerial threats. Ukrainian officials have consistently described air defence as one of their most urgent military requirements as the conflict continues.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said discussions are continuing over the possibility of providing Ukraine with technology linked to the production of Patriot missile systems. Trump indicated that talks remain ongoing but made clear that Washington has not yet reached a final decision on the matter.

The issue is significant for Ukraine, which has sought to strengthen its ability to defend its territory while reducing its dependence on foreign supplies. Access to advanced air defence technology could potentially help Kyiv expand its defensive capabilities and respond more effectively to repeated missile attacks.

The latest strike comes as the war between Russia and Ukraine continues to put civilians and urban centres at risk. Kyiv remains a key target, and Ukrainian officials have repeatedly appealed to international partners for greater military support and stronger air defence measures to protect the capital and other major population centres.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Pakistan’s Major General Qazi appointed as new U…

    UN Secretary-General António Guterres has appointed Pakistan Army Major General Jawwad Ahmed Qazi as the new Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO). Major General Qazi, who has been awarded with the Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military), brings more than 35 years of military leadership, operational command and international peacekeeping experience to his new assignment. His appointment reflects Pakistan’s longstanding contribution to United Nations peacekeeping operations. During his military career, Major General Qazi has held several senior command, staff and instructional positions in Pakistan and abroad. His previous appointments include serving as General Officer Commanding of an Infantry Division, Force Commander Northern Areas and Director General at the Ministry of Defence. He has also gained direct experience in UN peacekeeping, having served with the United Nations Transitional Administration in Eastern Slavonia, Baranja and Western Sirmium (UNTAES) in Croatia earlier in his career. Pakistan has welcomed the appointment, describing it as another significant contribution to international peace and stability. The country continues to support UN peacekeeping efforts by providing trained contingents and experienced military leaders for missions around the world. Major General Qazi’s appointment further highlights Pakistan’s extensive experience and continued commitment to global peacekeeping and international security.

  • | | |

    New Indian chargé d’affaires takes charge in Pa…

    Dr. Styanjal Pandey has formally assumed his responsibilities as the new Indian chargé d’affaires in Pakistan. He will serve as the head of the Indian High Commission in Islamabad. Pandey took charge of the position on August 1, 2026, according to diplomatic sources. His appointment comes after the completion of the tenure of former Indian chargé d’affaires Geetika Srivastava. Srivastava has completed her diplomatic assignment in Pakistan and has returned to India. After assuming his new responsibilities, Pandey also visited Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Islamabad. During the visit, he held a formal meeting with Sajjad Haider, Director General for South Asia at the Foreign Office. The meeting was part of his initial diplomatic engagements after taking charge of the Indian mission. Pandey also met other relevant officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The meetings focused on diplomatic engagement and matters concerning bilateral relations between Pakistan and India. Pandey’s arrival marks a change in leadership at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad at a time when relations between the two neighbouring countries remain closely watched. As chargé d’affaires, he will oversee the functioning of the Indian diplomatic mission in Pakistan and represent New Delhi in official diplomatic engagements. Diplomatic sources said Pandey has begun his official engagements following his appointment. His meetings with Pakistani officials are expected to provide an opportunity for continued diplomatic communication between the two countries. The Indian High Commission in Islamabad plays a key role in maintaining official contacts between Pakistan and India.

  • |

    Nearly 100 children wrongly detained as adults under UK-France migration deal

    At least 94 children were mistakenly identified as adults and held in immigration detention under Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s “one in, one out” agreement with France, according to details disclosed in a letter from the Independent Monitoring Boards (IMB). Between August 2025 and May 2026, Home Office officials recorded 304 age-disputed cases arising from the scheme, officially named Operation Hillmore, with 31% ultimately confirmed to be minors. Standard UK policy strictly prohibits the detention of unaccompanied minors beyond 24 hours. The critical findings, sent to Home Office Minister Anna Turley by interim IMB chair Jane Leech, highlighted severe safeguarding and procedural failures. Age assessments at immigration removal centers took up to 40 days to resolve in certain instances, while some individuals faced deportation delays of up to 27 weeks, far exceeding the scheme’s 28-day target. Additionally, detainees were slated for removal despite requiring urgent hospital care or suffering from active tuberculosis. The Refugee Council condemned the findings, urging the government to rely on social-worker-led assessments rather than administrative border checks. In response, a Home Office spokesperson stated that age assessment procedures are being modernized, including plans to roll out AI tools next year to support determinations.

  • | |

    Secret Service probes alleged leak of JD Vance tra…

    WASHINGTON: A member of US Vice President JD Vance’s security detail is under investigation over allegations that sensitive information related to the vice president’s travel arrangements was leaked to the media, raising concerns about security protocols surrounding one of the country’s highest-ranking officials. The US Secret Service confirmed on Friday that an administrative investigation is underway into the conduct of an officer assigned to Vance’s protective unit. Officials said the inquiry could potentially lead to a criminal investigation depending on the findings. Secret Service spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said the agency takes any breach of operational security seriously and would not tolerate actions that could compromise the safety of protected government officials. “The Secret Service maintains strict standards regarding operational and informational security,” Guglielmi said in a statement. “Any violation of those standards is thoroughly reviewed and investigated.” The controversy emerged after a US media outlet published a report claiming that Vance had made several unusual requests involving his security team and travel arrangements. The report cited unnamed sources who alleged that some members of the vice president’s protective detail had expressed frustration over certain personal travel-related requests. One of the claims attracting significant attention involved an alleged proposal to use Marine Two, the official helicopter designated for the vice president, to transport Vance’s son to a secure golf course for golf lessons. According to the report, discussions about using the government aircraft for the trip were considered but never materialized. The proposed flight was ultimately canceled due to severe weather conditions, including thunderstorms that made flying unsafe. While the report has fueled debate in Washington, no evidence has been publicly presented showing that any rules were broken regarding the proposed transportation arrangements. The focus of the investigation currently remains on how details of the vice president’s security operations allegedly reached the media. The Office of the Vice President has not issued a detailed response to the report, and Vance’s team has so far declined to comment publicly on the allegations. Political analysts say the case highlights two sensitive issues often facing senior government officials: the appropriate use of official resources and the protection of confidential security information. Security experts warn that unauthorized disclosures about the travel plans or protective measures of top government leaders can create significant risks, even when the information appears routine. As investigators continue reviewing the matter, attention remains fixed on whether the alleged leak violated federal regulations and what consequences could follow if wrongdoing is confirmed. The findings could have broader implications for security procedures protecting senior US officials.

  • | |

    Fuego volcano forces evacuations in Guatemala as l…

    Guatemalan authorities have ordered residents in at least two villages to evacuate after the Fuego volcano erupted, sending lava and ash shooting into the air. Fuego, regarded as one of the most active volcanoes in the Western Hemisphere, began erupting on Monday. The country’s volcanic monitoring agency reported that pyroclastic flows, fast moving currents made up of hot gas, volcanic ash and rock fragments, continued rushing down the volcano’s south eastern slope into early Tuesday. Guatemala’s disaster management agency, known as Conred, raised a nationwide orange alert, the second highest level on its warning scale, and cautioned residents to remain prepared as further eruptions could generate additional pyroclastic flows and large ash clouds. The agency advised people living nearby to keep their doors and windows shut, and officials canceled classes at schools located close to the volcano. Fuego sits roughly 16 kilometers, or about 10 miles, west of Antigua, a city that draws large numbers of tourists each year for its well preserved colonial era architecture and status as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The volcano itself has also become a popular destination for hikers in recent years, drawing visitors who trek its slopes for views of the surrounding region. Conred urged both tourists and local residents to avoid approaching the volcano or lingering in areas considered at risk, particularly along its slopes, as the situation continues to develop. The eruption has revived memories of a far deadlier event in 2018, when a sudden eruption of Fuego killed more than 200 people. Many of the victims were overtaken by fast moving pyroclastic flows that swept down the Las Lajas ravine with little warning, a disaster that remains one of the deadliest volcanic events in the country’s recent history. Fuego’s frequent activity has long made it one of Central America’s most closely monitored volcanoes, with authorities maintaining routine surveillance given its proximity to populated areas and popular tourist destinations.

  • |

    White House reports $19B-$26B annual revenue loss from global tariff evasion

    A new White House report released Thursday estimates that the United States is losing between $19 billion and $26 billion annually in tax revenue due to foreign nations routing exports through third-party countries to evade American tariffs. The report emphasizes that Chinese manufacturers responded to 2018 trade duties by redirecting goods to more than 40 intermediate nations, including Mexico and Malaysia, for minimal assembly or repackaging prior to US entry. White House trade counselor Peter Navarro described the practice as “the great transshipment scam,” asserting that it masks the true volume of Chinese imports while undermining US domestic manufacturing, automotive, and electronics sectors. The findings come ahead of a scheduled September visit to Washington by Chinese Leader Xi Jinping. Navarro indicated that future trade agreements negotiated by the Trump administration will incorporate strict enforcement mechanisms and penalties to punish countries facilitating trade re-routing schemes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *