communal violence kills
|

Communal violence kills three in Nepal

Nepal’s Prime Minister Balendra Shah has appealed for peace and restraint after deadly clashes between Hindu and Muslim communities in the country’s southern region left three people dead and prompted authorities to impose curfews in several districts.

In his first major national address since taking office in March, Shah urged citizens to remain calm and reject violence, calling on political leaders, religious groups, civil society and the media to work together to preserve national unity.

“I appeal to everyone to exercise patience and help restore peace, harmony and brotherhood,” the prime minister said, while assuring the public that the government would conduct a fair and transparent investigation into the violence.

The unrest began earlier this week in Sunsari district near the Indian border after a dispute reportedly erupted during a Hindu religious procession. The disagreement centered on loud music and the display of religious flags, which escalated into violent clashes between members of the Hindu and Muslim communities.

Police intervened to disperse the crowds and opened fire during the confrontation. Two people were killed in the initial violence, according to officials. A third person later died during a protest in the neighbouring Siraha district despite a curfew being in force.

Following the violence, authorities imposed strict curfews in Sunsari and nearby districts to prevent further unrest. Security forces have been deployed across the affected areas, while police remain on high alert to protect public property and maintain law and order.

Police officials said security personnel are attempting to restore normalcy while using the minimum level of force necessary to prevent additional clashes. Authorities also warned against the spread of misinformation that could further inflame tensions.

The government has pledged to identify those responsible for the violence and bring them before the courts. Officials said the investigation would be conducted impartially and that anyone found involved in the unrest would face legal action.

Similar Posts

  • |

    London motorway chaos: M25 closed after major industrial fire near St Albans

    A major industrial fire near London has forced the closure of the M25 in both directions, triggering widespread traffic disruption and fears of possible explosions. The blaze broke out at a commercial premises in Ventura Park, near St Albans, shortly after 9.20am on Tuesday. Huge plumes of thick smoke could be seen rising over the motorway as firefighters rushed to contain the fire. The M25 has been closed between Junction 21A and Junction 22, with motorists warned to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Emergency services took the decision to close the motorway amid concerns over smoke, falling debris and the potential for secondary explosions from the industrial site. Multiple fire appliances have been deployed to tackle the blaze, while police officers are also at the scene managing the emergency and surrounding traffic. National Highways has warned motorists to expect significant delays and congestion, urging drivers to allow extra time for their journeys or avoid the affected area altogether. The incident has caused major disruption on one of London’s key orbital routes, with congestion building on surrounding roads as traffic is diverted away from the closed section. Residents close to the fire have been advised to keep windows and doors closed because of the heavy smoke. The fire is also close to a railway line, with Network Rail representatives liaising with firefighters as emergency services assess the situation. The cause of the fire has not yet been established. Emergency crews remain at the scene and the M25 will stay closed while firefighters work to bring the blaze under control and authorities determine when it is safe to reopen the motorway. Motorists are being urged not to travel towards the affected section and to follow official traffic and emergency-service instructions. The incident remains ongoing.

  • |

    UK government and police launch comprehensive review into jurisdiction handling for US military personnel

    The UK government and senior police chiefs have initiated a multi-departmental review to determine why British police forces have routinely ceded primary jurisdiction to the United States military in cases involving serious crimes committed on British soil. Under long-standing legal frameworks governing visiting forces, UK authorities hold primary jurisdiction over off-duty offences committed against local citizens. However, recent investigative revelations exposed multiple instances where forces such as Cambridgeshire and Suffolk Constabulary transferred investigations involving serious sexual assaults to US military prosecutors within days of receiving reports, often without consulting the Crown Prosecution Service. This systemic practice has drawn severe criticism from ministers, cross-party lawmakers, and legal experts due to the significant disparities between the British justice system and the US Uniform Code of Military Justice. Victims tried under US military courts martial face narrower legal definitions of sexual offences, lesser statutory charges, and fewer victim protection measures than those guaranteed in British Crown Courts. The high-profile prosecution of US fighter pilot Captain Jacob Wulfson at RAF Lakenheath, where an all-male military panel acquitted him of sexual assault, prompted Home Office and justice ministers to meet with victims and promise full accountability. Concurrently, the National Police Chiefs’ Council has issued updated guidance to all forces in England and Wales to enforce proper legal referral protocols, while individual constabularies have launched audits into their historic case transfer decisions.

  • | | |

    Rawalpindi police say attacker killed after Mall R…

    RAWALPINDI: A man identified as Muhammad Hussain was killed after he allegedly opened fire at security forces on Mall Road in Rawalpindi on Tuesday, according to the Rawalpindi police. The incident took place on August 11, 2026, at around 11:15am. According to the police spokesperson, Muhammad Hussain opened fire at a patrol team of the security forces while they were present on Mall Road. The firing left one member of the security forces’ patrol team injured. The injured official was taken for medical treatment, while security personnel immediately responded to the attack. Police said the security forces returned fire after the shooting. Muhammad Hussain was killed during the exchange of fire. The police spokesperson said security personnel acted promptly after the attack. The area was secured following the incident. According to police, investigators also recovered a mobile phone and other items from the deceased man. Officials said the material recovered from his possession could provide further evidence about the incident and his activities. Police said the recovered mobile phone and other belongings are being examined as part of the investigation. Officials are expected to determine whether the material contains information linked to the shooting or other activities. The Rawalpindi police spokesperson further claimed that Muhammad Hussain was affiliated with a particular political party. However, the police statement did not provide further details about the nature of his alleged affiliation. Authorities are continuing to investigate the incident. Further details are expected as investigators examine the recovered material and gather additional evidence. The incident caused concern in the area. Security personnel remained alert following the shooting, while the circumstances surrounding the attack are being investigated.

  • | |

    Pakistan, Kuwait agree to expand bilateral cooperation

    Pakistan and Kuwait have agreed to strengthen cooperation in several key areas, including trade, investment, energy, labour, agriculture, information technology, health, mining and minerals, and defence. The understanding came during delegation-level talks held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Islamabad on Wednesday. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar and Kuwait’s Foreign Minister Sheikh Jarrah Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah co-chaired the meeting. Sheikh Jarrah arrived in Islamabad on Tuesday for a two-day official visit aimed at reviewing Pakistan-Kuwait relations and discussing regional and international developments of mutual interest. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the two sides reviewed the full range of bilateral ties and explored ways to expand economic cooperation and strengthen partnerships across various sectors. The two foreign ministers also agreed to improve institutional coordination by building stronger links between relevant institutions and maintaining regular high-level exchanges. Pakistan and Kuwait further reaffirmed their commitment to working closely at multilateral forums on matters of shared interest. During the talks, Sheikh Jarrah thanked the Pakistani government and people for their warm welcome and hospitality. He also appreciated Pakistan’s support to Kuwait during the COVID-19 pandemic.

  • | |

    Jordan Stephens breaks silence on ‘very tough’…

    Jordan Stephens has spoken publicly for the first time about his reported split from Jade Thirlwall, admitting that navigating heartbreak while under the spotlight has been far from easy. The 34-year-old Rizzle Kicks musician addressed the situation during the latest episode of the Miss Me? podcast, where he co-hosts alongside broadcaster Miquita Oliver. Although Stephens did not go into detail about the end of the relationship, he acknowledged that the past few weeks have been emotionally challenging and said he still has not fully processed everything.  “It’s been very tough,” Stephens admitted, explaining that he feels uncomfortable seeing his private life become a topic of public discussion. He said that while he values being honest with listeners, there are limits to what he is willing to share, especially when another person’s privacy is involved.  Reports of Stephens’ breakup with former Little Mix star Jade Thirlwall emerged last week, with several outlets claiming the couple quietly ended their six-year relationship earlier this year. According to reports, the decision was mutual, and the pair remain on good terms despite going their separate ways. Neither Stephens nor Thirlwall has officially confirmed the details of the split beyond Jordan’s recent comments.  During the podcast, Stephens reflected on the difficulty of experiencing heartbreak in the public eye. He said that relationships are deeply personal and that having strangers speculate about them can make an already painful experience even harder to navigate. While he hinted that he may speak more openly in the future, he stressed that now is not the right time because emotions are still raw.  Stephens and Thirlwall began dating in 2020 after connecting during the COVID-19 lockdown. Over the years, they became one of British pop culture’s most admired couples, often supporting each other’s careers while keeping much of their relationship away from the spotlight. They also collaborated creatively, with Stephens contributing to Thirlwall’s solo music following Little Mix’s hiatus.  Rumors of trouble in their relationship grew after fans noticed the couple had not appeared together publicly for several months. Social media users also pointed out that photos and videos featuring one another had been removed from their accounts, adding to speculation before reports of the split surfaced.  Despite the attention surrounding his personal life, Stephens made it clear that he is focused on healing and moving forward. His candid comments offered a rare glimpse into the emotional impact of life after a long-term relationship while highlighting the challenges celebrities face when deeply personal moments become public conversation. For now, both Stephens and Thirlwall appear to be concentrating on their respective careers, leaving fans to respect their privacy as they navigate the next chapter of their lives. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *