saudi arabia forms
|

Saudi Arabia forms 14-nation maritime defence alliance

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia has announced the formation of a new multinational maritime defence alliance with 13 other countries to strengthen security along some of the world’s busiest shipping routes amid rising tensions in the Middle East.

The Saudi Ministry of Defence said the coalition has been created to protect freedom of navigation through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. These waterways are critical for global trade and international energy supplies.

The new alliance includes Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Türkiye, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan, Egypt, Djibouti, Somalia, Bangladesh, Yemen, Sudan and the Comoros.

According to Saudi authorities, representatives from 43 of the 51 invited countries attended the meeting that led to the creation of the alliance. A delegation from the European Union also participated in the discussions.

The ministry said the coalition aims to improve coordination among member states to address growing maritime security challenges. It will focus on intelligence sharing, joint operational planning, military exercises and coordinated maritime operations.

Saudi officials stressed that the alliance is purely defensive and is not intended to target any country. They said its primary objective is to secure international shipping lanes and ensure the uninterrupted flow of global trade.

The announcement comes as security concerns continue to grow across the region due to escalating tensions involving Iran and attacks on commercial vessels in strategic waterways.

The Bab al-Mandeb Strait has become increasingly important for international shipping. It connects the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and serves as a vital link between the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal.

Experts estimate that around 10 to 12 percent of global maritime trade passes through the narrow waterway every year. Millions of barrels of crude oil and petroleum products are transported through the route daily, making it one of the world’s most strategically important sea lanes.

Saudi Arabia has increasingly relied on the Red Sea route for oil exports through its East-West pipeline, which transports crude from the country’s eastern oil fields to the port of Yanbu on the Red Sea coast. However, ships departing from Yanbu must still pass through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait before reaching international markets.

Regional instability has increased concerns over the safety of commercial shipping. Repeated attacks on vessels operating in the Red Sea have disrupted maritime traffic and raised fears of higher transportation costs and energy prices.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Elizabeth Olsen makes rare appearance with newborn in Los Angeles

    Elizabeth Olsen has made a rare public appearance with her newborn child in Los Angeles, weeks after reports emerged that the actress had quietly welcomed her first baby. The WandaVision star was spotted taking a walk in Los Angeles on August 15. She appeared to be enjoying a relaxed outing with her newborn son while being accompanied by her partner, Robbie Arnett. Olsen kept a low profile during the outing. She wore a wide-brimmed hat and appeared to take precautions to keep the baby protected from the sun. Arnett was seen walking alongside her as the family spent time outdoors. The appearance comes around two months after reports surfaced that Olsen was expecting her first child. The actress had not publicly announced her pregnancy at the time. Neither Olsen nor Arnett has officially confirmed details surrounding the baby’s arrival. The couple has also kept information about the child’s name, gender and birth date private. The latest photographs are therefore being viewed as the strongest public indication that the couple has welcomed their first child. Olsen has previously spoken about the possibility of becoming a mother. In a 2021 conversation with SiriusXM, she discussed the challenge of balancing her acting career with the possibility of having children. The actress also recalled speaking with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige about how pregnancy could affect her professional commitments while working in the entertainment industry. In December 2025, Olsen reportedly reflected on motherhood and marriage during a podcast appearance. She said she had once been uncertain about whether she wanted to get married or have children. Her relationship with Arnett eventually influenced how she viewed those possibilities. Olsen and Arnett have maintained a notably private relationship. The couple began dating in 2017 and became engaged in 2019. They later married privately before the COVID-19 pandemic, with Olsen eventually confirming the marriage during interviews. The couple has generally avoided putting their personal life in the spotlight. They have preferred spending private time together rather than frequently appearing at public events.

  • | |

    Ten additional LHC judges sworn in after appointme…

    LAHORE: Ten additional judges of the Lahore High Court took oath on Tuesday after President Asif Ali Zardari approved their appointments, bringing an end to a weeks-long delay over their induction. Chief Justice Aalia Neelum administered the oath to the newly appointed judges during a ceremony at the Lahore High Court. The judges who took oath were Ghulam Sarwar Nihung, Muhammad Ajmal Khan Zahid, Aamir Ajam Malik, Shireen Imran, Asad Ali Bajwa, Muhammad Amjad Pervez, Khalid Ibn-i-Aziz, Munawar Iqbal Duggal, Syed Farhad Ali Shah and Muhammad Usman Ghani Rashid Cheema. Justice Tariq Mahmood Bajwa also took oath as a permanent judge of the Lahore High Court after completing his probationary period. The newly appointed additional judges will serve for one year from the date they took oath. Despite the latest appointments, the Lahore High Court still has 10 vacant positions against its approved strength of 60 judges. The number of vacancies is expected to rise to 11 following the retirement of Justice Shahid Karim next week. Earlier on Tuesday, President Zardari approved the appointment of 19 additional judges to five high courts. He also confirmed five judges as permanent members of the superior judiciary. The appointments had remained pending since July after the Judicial Commission of Pakistan recommended the candidates for the positions. The delay had led to a dispute over the presidential approval process. The oath-taking ceremony had initially been scheduled for July 27 but was postponed indefinitely. The issue gained further attention after the president neither approved the appointment summary nor returned it for reconsideration within the expected period. The government had maintained that there was no legal basis for keeping the recommendations pending. At one stage, officials even considered constitutional options to address the delay. Meanwhile, legal teams representing the presidency and the federal government held discussions to resolve the matter. Sources said the talks between the two sides made progress and helped pave the way for the appointments to be approved. The president’s legal team had previously raised concerns about the proceedings of the Judicial Commission. Questions were also raised over the rejection of several nominees and the eligibility of some recommended candidates. The dispute had also raised concerns about delays in filling vacant judicial positions in the high courts.

  • | |

    Gracie Abrams credits Taylor Swift for a precious …

    Gracie Abrams has never hidden her admiration for Taylor Swift, but the singer-songwriter is now revealing that Swift’s influence goes far beyond music. In a recent cover story interview with Rolling Stone, Abrams shared how watching the global pop icon navigate fame and success taught her one of the most valuable lessons of her career: learning to let go of her ego and focus on the work that truly matters. (Rolling Stone⁠) Abrams, who has become one of pop music’s fastest-rising stars, said observing Swift’s professionalism changed the way she approaches her own career. Rather than chasing validation or allowing success to shape her identity, Abrams explained that Swift inspired her to stay grounded, remain curious, and always prioritize creativity over personal pride. According to Abrams, one of the biggest takeaways from spending time around Swift was seeing how someone with extraordinary global success continues to work with humility. She admitted that the experience helped her rethink how ego can sometimes interfere with artistic growth. Instead of trying to prove herself, Abrams now focuses on making honest music that reflects her experiences and emotions. The two artists have developed a close professional relationship over the past few years. Abrams previously joined Swift as an opening act on select dates of The Eras Tour, giving her the opportunity to perform in front of massive stadium crowds around the world. The experience introduced Abrams to millions of new listeners while allowing her to witness firsthand the dedication and discipline that have defined Swift’s career. (Rolling Stone⁠) Abrams also praised Swift for creating an environment where artists feel supported rather than intimidated. She described the Grammy-winning superstar as generous with her advice and encouragement, adding that Swift’s confidence comes from preparation and hard work instead of ego. That mindset, Abrams said, motivated her to approach challenges with greater patience and self-belief. Since releasing her breakthrough projects, Abrams has earned widespread praise for her emotional songwriting and intimate storytelling. Her honest lyrics and understated style have helped her build a loyal fan base, while collaborations with respected artists have further established her place in contemporary pop music. Even as her popularity continues to grow, Abrams says she wants to remain authentic and committed to personal growth. Taylor Swift’s influence, she believes, extends beyond chart-topping songs and sold-out tours. For Abrams, the biggest lesson has been understanding that long-term success is built on consistency, kindness, and a willingness to keep learning. As Abrams continues to evolve as both an artist and songwriter, she credits Swift for helping her develop a healthier perspective on fame. By letting go of ego and embracing humility, the young singer says she has found greater confidence in her own voice. It is a lesson she hopes to carry with her throughout every stage of her career.

  • |

    Infantino’s FIFA gamble hits major roadblock

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s proposal to bring private investors into the commercial management of the FIFA World Cup has suffered another major setback after the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) formally rejected the plan. In a statement issued on Friday, the AFC announced that it stands alongside the European and North, Central American, and Caribbean football confederations in opposing the proposal. The confederation said the plan lacks the broad international support needed to move forward and warned that it could weaken the unity of global football. The AFC stressed that the FIFA World Cup belongs to the entire football community and should remain a competition shaped collectively by all member associations and confederations. It argued that decisions involving the future of the tournament should only be made after meaningful consultation with all stakeholders. The Asian governing body also criticized FIFA’s decision-making process, saying major proposals were introduced before proper discussions with confederations and member associations. It claimed the approach left many football authorities feeling excluded from an issue of global importance. The latest opposition significantly reduces the chances of the proposal being approved if it is presented for a vote. FIFA has 211 member associations, and a simple majority would be required for the plan to pass. With Europe, Asia, and Concacaf already opposed, the proposal faces strong resistance. Earlier, UEFA warned it could boycott future FIFA World Cups if the proposal moves ahead. Concacaf also rejected the plan, arguing that football’s biggest tournament should not become a commercial investment asset. Despite the growing backlash, FIFA has defended its proposal. The organization insists that it is not selling football but instead seeking new ways to strengthen the financial future of the game. FIFA says the planned reforms would attract investment, increase tournament revenues, and provide larger financial distributions to its member associations in the coming years. Under the proposal, FIFA would establish a new commercial subsidiary to manage its major competitions, including the FIFA World Cup. Outside investors would be allowed to purchase minority, non-controlling stakes in the new company while FIFA retains overall control. According to the governing body, the investment model would help expand football development programs, generate new business opportunities, and improve long-term financial sustainability. However, critics remain unconvinced. They argue that introducing private investors into the commercial structure of the World Cup risks prioritizing profits over the interests of players, supporters, and national associations. Opponents also say the process has lacked transparency and adequate consultation. The South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) has not yet announced its position on the proposal, while the African (CAF) and Oceania (OFC) confederations are expected to discuss the matter in the coming weeks.

  • | |

    Nimra Khan and husband reportedly part ways

    Pakistani actress Nimra Khan has once again drawn attention on social media after sharing a series of emotional and cryptic posts amid growing speculation surrounding her marriage. The actress, who has millions of followers on Instagram, has remained in the spotlight since announcing her marriage earlier this year. She had shared pictures and moments from her wedding and Nikah in Paris, receiving warm wishes from fans and fellow celebrities. However, reports and social media speculation about trouble in her marriage began circulating shortly afterward. The discussion intensified following a reel in which Nimra spoke about staying strong during difficult times and encouraged people not to abandon themselves when life becomes challenging. At the time, she appeared to dismiss concerns about her relationship, suggesting that everything was fine. She also explained that she had restricted access to some personal pictures to protect them from negative attention and the evil eye. Despite those remarks, speculation has continued to grow. In her latest Instagram activity, Nimra shared another message about strength and personal boundaries. Her post focused on standing firmly for oneself and making sure silence is not mistaken for weakness. The actress also highlighted the importance of setting boundaries, saying that failing to establish them had previously come at a personal cost. Adding to the speculation, her husband, Zain Hamid, reportedly shared a cryptic message on social media that appeared to suggest relief after a difficult situation. The development quickly caught the attention of social media users, particularly because the couple’s accounts reportedly no longer show signs of their previous connection. Nimra and Zain have also reportedly stopped following each other on Instagram, while pictures of the couple are no longer visible on his account. These developments have further intensified questions among fans about the status of their relationship. Neither Nimra Khan nor Zain Hamid has publicly provided a detailed explanation of the reported separation or addressed all the speculation circulating online. Meanwhile, Nimra recently shared content highlighting a woman’s account of alleged domestic abuse. In the post, the actress expressed support for women facing difficult circumstances and encouraged victims to speak up. Her decision to share the message has also attracted attention, with many followers linking it to her recent posts about boundaries, strength and self-respect.

  • |

    PCB clears Pakistan stars for CPL and county cricket

    The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has cleared several national cricketers to feature in overseas franchise leagues and county cricket, giving them an opportunity to gain valuable international experience. According to media reports, the PCB has issued No-Objection Certificates (NOCs) to a number of players for the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2026. Hasan Nawaz, Hanin Shah, Naseem Shah, Usman Khan, Muaz Sadaqat, Sahibzada Farhan, Sufiyan Muqeem and Shadab Khan have been permitted to participate in the CPL. Their NOCs will remain effective from August 19 to September 21. The board has also approved overseas commitments for several other players. Veteran spinner Noman Ali has received permission to represent Lancashire County, with his NOC valid until September 27. Meanwhile, wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Haris has been cleared to play in the CPL from August 7 to September 20. Usman Tariq has received an NOC for the tournament from August 8 to September 18, while Usama Mir has been granted permission from August 7 to September 21. The PCB’s decision is expected to provide the players with an opportunity to test themselves in competitive overseas conditions while gaining experience alongside international stars. For Pakistan’s emerging cricketers in particular, participation in leagues such as the CPL can offer exposure to different playing conditions, coaching methods and high-pressure situations. The NOCs also underline the board’s approach of allowing players to balance domestic responsibilities with selected international franchise opportunities. With several Pakistani players now set to feature in the CPL, fans will be watching closely to see which performers can make the most of their overseas assignments and strengthen their claims for future national selection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *