china seeks houthi
|

China seeks Houthi assurances for safe passage of oil tankers in Red Sea

China has held direct discussions with Yemen’s Houthi movement in an effort to secure safe passage for its oil tankers through the southern Red Sea as regional tensions continue to disrupt one of the world’s busiest shipping routes. According to sources familiar with the talks, Beijing wants to ensure that vessels carrying energy supplies to China can travel without being targeted by attacks.

The negotiations follow the Houthis’ announcement on July 20 that they would block access to Saudi Arabian ports, expanding their military campaign during the ongoing regional conflict. The group said it would target ships linked to Saudi ports, raising fresh concerns over the safety of commercial shipping and global energy supplies.

Sources said China was among the first countries to contact the Houthis directly after the new restrictions were announced. Beijing reportedly requested guarantees that Chinese flagged or China bound tankers would be allowed to pass safely through the Bab el Mandeb Strait, a strategic waterway connecting the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. A senior Iranian official was among those who confirmed that the discussions had taken place.

China’s priority is to keep crude oil shipments moving from Saudi Arabia’s Red Sea export terminals, particularly the port of Yanbu. Maintaining those supplies has become increasingly important as disruptions around the Strait of Hormuz have reduced the flow of Iranian oil through another key maritime route. Officials believe uninterrupted shipments from Saudi Arabia will help stabilize China’s energy imports during the regional crisis.

Shipping data shows that at least four oil tankers carrying Saudi crude for China have successfully passed through the Bab el Mandeb Strait since the Houthis announced their blockade. Industry analysts said Chinese officials coordinated the passage of each vessel individually with the Houthi movement. Sources also indicated that both sides kept Iranian authorities informed throughout the process.

At the same time, the Houthis have warned international shipping companies that vessels loading or unloading cargo at Saudi Arabian ports could become military targets. The warning has increased concerns among shipping operators, prompting some vessels to reconsider their planned routes.

Two oil supertankers recently altered their journeys because of security fears. The New Champion, which was scheduled to load crude oil at Yanbu, and the New Prime, which was already carrying oil, both turned away from the Bab el Mandeb Strait and returned to open waters in the Gulf of Aden rather than continue through the high risk area.

Last week, the Houthis claimed responsibility for missile and drone attacks on two Saudi oil tankers, the Encelia and the Layla. Maritime security officials confirmed that the Encelia had been struck, adding to concerns over the safety of commercial vessels operating in the region.

The Red Sea remains one of the world’s most important trade routes because it provides the shortest sea connection between Europe and Asia. A direct journey from Yanbu to Asian markets through the Bab el Mandeb Strait normally takes around 16 days. However, ships that avoid the route and instead travel through the Suez Canal before sailing around the southern tip of Africa face voyages lasting about 50 days, significantly increasing fuel costs and delivery times.

Recent shipping data indicates that traffic through the Bab el Mandeb Strait has started to recover slightly despite ongoing security risks. Twenty eight vessels passed through the waterway on Monday, the highest daily total in four days, although traffic remained below the monthly peak recorded earlier in July. Of the 12 ships entering the Red Sea that day, four were oil tankers, showing that energy exports continue despite heightened regional tensions and continuing security concerns.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Karachi : Cloudy and humid conditions expected ove…

      Karachi is expected to experience mostly cloudy and humid weather conditions during the next 24 hours, according to the latest forecast issued by the Pakistan Meteorological Department. The weather authorities have predicted that light drizzle may occur in different parts of the city, particularly during the morning and nighttime hours. The meteorological department stated that the overall weather situation in Karachi is likely to remain warm, humid, and partly cloudy throughout the day. Residents may experience increased moisture levels in the atmosphere, which could make the temperature feel higher than the actual recorded temperature. The presence of humidity, combined with limited sunshine due to cloudy skies, is expected to create uncomfortable weather conditions for many citizens. According to the weather forecast, the minimum temperature recorded in Karachi today was 28 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile, the maximum temperature is expected to remain between 33 and 35 degrees Celsius. Although these temperatures are typical for the coastal city during this period, the high humidity level may increase the feeling of heat among residents. The humidity level in Karachi has been recorded at 78 percent, indicating a significant amount of moisture in the air. The city is also experiencing sea breezes from the southwest direction, moving at a speed of approximately 11 kilometers per hour. These coastal winds may provide some relief from the heat, but the high humidity is likely to continue affecting the overall comfort level. The weather department has advised citizens to remain aware of changing weather conditions, especially during early morning and nighttime hours when chances of drizzle are higher. Light rainfall is not expected to cause major disruption, but some areas may experience temporary wet conditions due to the drizzle. Karachi’s coastal location often results in humid weather patterns, particularly when moisture-laden winds from the Arabian Sea influence the city’s atmosphere. Cloud cover and sea breezes usually help control extreme temperatures, but high humidity can make daily activities more challenging for residents. The meteorological department further explained that no major change in weather conditions is expected during the next 24 hours. The city will likely continue to experience cloudy skies, humid conditions, and occasional light drizzle in some areas. People are advised to plan outdoor activities while keeping the possibility of brief rainfall in mind. Overall, Karachi’s weather is expected to remain mild in terms of temperature but uncomfortable due to elevated humidity levels. The combination of cloudy weather, warm temperatures, and moisture in the air will continue to define the city’s weather pattern over the coming day.

  • |

    Moroccan migrants return home after failed bid to reach Europe

    Thousands of Moroccan migrants who entered Spain’s North African enclave of Ceuta this week have begun returning home after their hopes of reaching mainland Europe faded. Many said they were driven back by hunger, exhaustion and difficult living conditions, while others claimed they faced hostility after arriving in the Spanish territory. Several returnees said they had decided to cross into Ceuta after watching viral social media videos and receiving messages from friends claiming the heavily guarded border could be breached. Believing they had a chance to build a better future in Europe, many left their jobs and travelled to the border. However, after reaching Ceuta, migrants discovered there was no clear route to mainland Spain. Many said they became stranded in the enclave with limited access to food, water and shelter. One migrant said he survived for three days by drinking only water because he could not afford food. He described the cost of basic meals as extremely high and said life in Ceuta was far more difficult than he had expected. Returning migrants also claimed that many supermarkets and shops remained closed, making it difficult to buy essential supplies. Some spent days in wet clothes after swimming across the border and struggled to find safe places to rest. Several migrants alleged they were forced to leave certain neighbourhoods by local residents, although those claims could not be independently verified. Spanish authorities confirmed that two people suffered minor injuries in separate knife attacks and said one suspect had been arrested. Officials added that no deaths linked to the incidents had been reported. The large influx also affected businesses on both sides of the border. In the Moroccan border city of Fnideq, hotels and restaurants faced staff shortages after several workers crossed into Ceuta. Some employers have already begun looking for replacement workers as many employees remain missing. Meanwhile, daily life in Ceuta has gradually started returning to normal. Cafes have reopened in parts of the city, while police continue to maintain a strong security presence. Many businesses, however, remain closed as authorities monitor the situation. Aid workers said migrant reception facilities are operating at full capacity, with thousands of people still believed to be inside the enclave awaiting assistance or decisions on their future. Local residents expressed mixed emotions over the crisis. While many admitted the sudden arrival of thousands of migrants created fear and uncertainty, others said they sympathised with the young people, arguing they had been misled by false hopes of an easier route into Europe.

  • | |

    Hollywood source speaks out after Meghan Markle an…

    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are making headlines again after announcing plans to return to the UK with their two children. The unexpected move comes six years after the couple stepped away from royal duties and relocated to California. The Sussexes are expected to return to Britain later this month and spend an extended period near London. However, they will remain private citizens rather than working members of the Royal Family. Their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, are also expected to attend school in the UK. (Reuters⁠) The announcement has reportedly surprised people on both sides of the Atlantic. A royal source told Entertainment Tonight that members of the Royal Family were “blindsided” by the decision, particularly because the move was not discussed during Harry and Meghan’s recent private meeting with King Charles. (ELLE⁠) But the biggest reaction may be coming from Hollywood. Harry and Meghan moved to California in 2020 with hopes of building a new life and creating a successful entertainment empire. They signed major deals, including partnerships with Netflix and Spotify, while launching Archewell Productions and developing projects for global audiences. However, their Hollywood journey has reportedly been more complicated than expected. Recent reports have described strained industry relationships, disappointing projects and declining opportunities. Variety previously reported that the couple’s relationship with Netflix had become increasingly difficult, while other entertainment reports have questioned their long-term position in Hollywood. (Variety⁠) One recent Hollywood-focused report went even further, claiming that the couple had “worn out” their welcome in the entertainment industry. It pointed to the end of their Spotify partnership and challenges surrounding their media projects as signs that their American dream had not developed as originally expected. These claims come from unnamed industry sources and should therefore be treated as allegations rather than established facts. (Page Six⁠) Their return to Britain has consequently sparked speculation about whether the Sussexes are turning the page on their Hollywood chapter. Still, the move does not necessarily mean they are abandoning America completely. Reports indicate that Harry and Meghan plan to retain their California home while establishing a base in the UK. Meghan is also expected to continue working on her lifestyle brand and other projects. (Business Insider⁠) The couple’s relationship with the Royal Family also remains complicated. Their recent meeting with King Charles appears to have created some hope for improved family ties, but tensions with Prince William remain particularly strong. (The Guardian⁠) For now, Harry and Meghan’s return marks a dramatic new chapter. After leaving Britain to build an independent life in Hollywood, they are once again heading home—this time as a family of four, with their future firmly under the spotlight.

  • |

    Bangladesh seeks India’s clarification over Hasina speech

    DHAKA: Bangladesh has asked India to clarify its position over a planned virtual address by former prime minister Sheikh Hasina, saying political activities by a fugitive could undermine efforts to improve relations between the two neighboring countries. The request comes ahead of an event scheduled for August 5 in New Delhi, where Hasina is expected to deliver a video address alongside her son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, during a programme organized by the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of South Asia. Bangladesh’s State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shama Obaed Islam said Dhaka is committed to strengthening ties with India but believes New Delhi should clearly explain its stance regarding political activities by individuals wanted by Bangladeshi authorities. She said Bangladesh has repeatedly expressed concerns over Hasina and other leaders of the Awami League making political statements while residing in India. According to the minister, Dhaka does not want such activities to negatively affect the progress made in bilateral relations. The minister noted that the event is not being organized by the Indian government but added that Bangladesh is prepared to raise the matter through diplomatic channels if required. India’s Ministry of External Affairs had not issued an official response to the remarks at the time of reporting. Relations between Bangladesh and India have remained under strain since Hasina left Bangladesh in August 2024 following a student-led uprising that ended her tenure in office. Although both countries have recently indicated a willingness to rebuild diplomatic engagement, the issue of Hasina’s stay in India continues to be a sensitive matter. Bangladesh has formally requested Hasina’s extradition to face legal proceedings. In 2025, she was sentenced to death in absentia over crimes against humanity linked to the 2024 crackdown on anti-government protests. Hasina has rejected the verdict, describing it as politically motivated and without legal validity. Despite the legal cases against her, Hasina has said she intends to return to Bangladesh in the future, while her planned virtual appearance has once again brought the issue of her presence in India into the diplomatic spotlight.

  • | |

    DNA tests ordered after Mir Raza Ali’s grave exh…

    KARACHI: An eight-member medical board has completed a fresh post-mortem examination of Wafflix owner Mir Raza Ali’s exhumed remains and sent samples for DNA and chemical testing, amid questions over the identity of the body and the circumstances surrounding his death. Ali’s grave was exhumed on Saturday at the Tariq Road cemetery in Karachi, where the medical board collected evidence before the remains were reburied. Professor Dr Naseem, a member of the medical board, said the samples had been properly preserved and would be examined at a laboratory. The testing will include DNA analysis and chemical examination, which officials say could provide crucial evidence in the case. The exhumation and re-post-mortem were conducted under the supervision of the judicial magistrate and police surgeon. Advocate Jibran Nasir said the process began at around 11:07am and was completed after the medical team collected the required evidence. He said the board had also addressed questions previously raised by the police surgeon. According to Nasir, an initial medical report was expected later on Saturday, while the final findings would be issued after completion of the chemical examination. The fresh examination is expected to help determine whether Ali died by suicide or was murdered and whether the injuries found on the body were self-inflicted or caused by another person. Nasir said the proceedings had been conducted satisfactorily and expressed appreciation for the judiciary’s intervention in the matter. He said the investigation could help resolve speculation and unanswered questions surrounding the young entrepreneur’s death. However, another member of the medical board, CPLC official Amir Hasan, raised a significant question over the identity of the remains. Hasan said the board was not yet certain that the exhumed body belonged to Ali. To establish the identity, DNA samples were collected from the remains as well as from Ali’s parents. He said the DNA comparison would determine whether the body buried at the cemetery was indeed that of Ali.

  • |

    Pakistan’s Abdullah Iqbal makes history in UEFA Champions League

    STOCKHOLM: Pakistani international Abdullah Iqbal has achieved a major milestone in the country’s football history by becoming the first Pakistan national team player to feature in a UEFA Champions League qualifying match. The historic moment came when the defender made his debut for Swedish club Mjällby AIF during their UEFA Champions League qualifying fixture against Gibraltar’s Lincoln Red Imps on Tuesday. Iqbal entered the match in the 62nd minute, marking a landmark achievement for both his career and Pakistani football. His appearance places him among a select group of Pakistani footballers to compete on one of Europe’s biggest club football stages. The 26-year-old has become an important figure for Pakistan’s national team in recent years and is widely regarded as one of the country’s most accomplished overseas-based footballers. His Champions League qualifying debut is expected to inspire young footballers in Pakistan, where the sport has been striving for greater international recognition. Although Pakistani-origin footballer Atta Hussain previously played in UEFA Champions League qualifiers, he had not yet represented Pakistan at the international level at the time. Abdullah Iqbal is therefore the first player to achieve the milestone after officially representing the Pakistan national team. Football fans across Pakistan celebrated the achievement on social media, describing it as another proud moment for the country’s growing presence in international football. Many supporters praised Iqbal’s dedication and expressed hope that his success would encourage more Pakistani players to pursue professional careers in Europe. The achievement also highlights the increasing impact of overseas-based Pakistani footballers, who continue to strengthen the national team with experience gained in competitive European leagues. While Abdullah Iqbal’s appearance came in the qualifying rounds rather than the Champions League group stage, it remains a historic first for Pakistan and another sign of the country’s gradual progress on the international football scene. His landmark debut is expected to inspire the next generation of Pakistani footballers dreaming of competing at the highest level of European club football.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *