psx plunges over
|

PSX plunges over 1,300 points amid global market sell-off

The Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) came under heavy selling pressure on Wednesday. The benchmark KSE-100 Index fell sharply during the trading session.

The index dropped 1,339.73 points, or 0.75%, to reach 176,284.15 by 1:04pm. The decline came as regional markets also faced pressure and oil prices continued to rise.

The KSE-100 had already fallen 1,297.67 points, or 0.73%, earlier in the session. At 9:34am, the index was trading at 176,326.21.

The market remained volatile throughout the session. The KSE-100 recorded an intraday high of 176,935.03 and a low of 175,631.74.

Trading activity remained significant. Around 120.55 million shares changed hands during the session. The total traded value stood at Rs10.69 billion.

The previous close of the KSE-100 Index was 177,623.88. The latest decline therefore reflected a clear shift in investor sentiment.

The pressure on the local market came amid a wider sell-off across Asian stock markets. Investors have become increasingly cautious about global economic conditions.

Concerns surrounding heavy investment in artificial intelligence-related companies have also affected market sentiment. Investors are assessing whether valuations in some technology sectors have risen too quickly.

The rise in international oil prices added another source of uncertainty. Oil prices increased after fresh attacks were reported in the Middle East.

The developments have raised concerns about possible disruptions to global oil supplies. Higher energy prices could also increase inflationary pressures in several economies.

Investors are also watching the potential impact of higher oil prices on interest rates. A prolonged rise in energy costs could complicate efforts to control inflation.

Geopolitical tensions in the Middle East have further increased uncertainty in global financial markets. The latest developments have encouraged investors to adopt a more cautious approach.

The negative trend in Asian equities also affected sentiment at the PSX. Local investors remained under pressure as the benchmark index continued to trade in negative territory.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Greek wonderkid Karetsas joins Dortmund

    Borussia Dortmund have officially confirmed the signing of Konstantinos Karetsas. The young Greek forward joins from Belgian side Genk. He has put pen to paper on a five-year contract. The transfer news broke on Monday. Reports peg the fee at around 30 million euros. That translates to roughly $34 million. Additional bonuses are also included in the package. Karetsas is only 18 years old. But his numbers already speak volumes. He has scored three goals in ten appearances for Greece’s national team. His club form last season was just as impressive. He delivered 11 assists in the Belgian top flight. Dortmund had a clear gap to fill. The club recently lost Julian Brandt. The experienced playmaker left on a free transfer after years of service. His departure left a creative void in midfield. Karetsas now steps in as the man tasked with filling it. The teenager didn’t hold back his excitement after signing. He called Borussia Dortmund a special club. He said he feels proud to wear the black and yellow jersey. Club officials are equally thrilled. Dortmund’s sporting director praised the young forward’s game. He highlighted Karetsas’s technical skill and sharp footballing brain. According to him, the youngster has a real talent for finding quick solutions under pressure. That skill becomes especially valuable in tight spaces near goal. This transfer likely won’t be Dortmund’s last this summer. The club has also shown interest in another rising star. Cologne’s young German international, Said El Mala, is reportedly on their radar too. Context matters here. Dortmund finished last season as runners-up. Bayern Munich once again claimed the title. That gap is clearly on the club’s mind this transfer window. Signing proven young talent like Karetsas suggests a plan to close it. For Karetsas, this move marks a major step in his career. Moving from Belgian football to one of Europe’s most storied clubs is no small leap. Expectations will be high given his price tag and reputation. Dortmund fans will now watch closely to see how quickly he adapts. If his club and international form are any indication, he could become a key piece in Dortmund’s push to reclaim the title next season.

  • | |

    Raja denies authority to remove Mashal from Senate

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Salman Akram Raja has said he had no authority to remove Mashal Yousafzai from the Senate. He said he chose to overlook the matter to prevent divisions within the party. Speaking to the media outside the Supreme Court in Islamabad, Raja said Mashal Yousafzai was not acting alone and had a group supporting her. He said the facts would eventually come before everyone. He added that he would not further fuel an issue that had already been given unnecessary attention in the past. Raja also said he did not know who had made Mashal Yousafzai a senator. Speaking to journalists at the Adiala Jail factory checkpoint in Rawalpindi, Raja said that allegations should be backed by evidence. He said false allegations remained false regardless of who made them. He said he had been practising law and continued to do so. He described some of the statements made against him as completely baseless. Raja said such allegations would have to be answered. He added that the party would take action over the matter. Comments on political developments Speaking about the political situation, Raja said September 27 was not a distant date. He said political activity was continuing on a daily basis. He said time passes quickly and described September 27 as an important date. Raja also said that a revolution could not be brought about by a single political party. He said it required the participation of the entire nation. On negotiations with the government, he said there was currently no formal offer from the government. However, Raja said PTI had not rejected negotiations on principle at any level. He described reports of an alliance with the Pakistan Peoples Party as premature. He said two parties could have similar positions on a particular issue without forming an alliance. PTI denies link with terrorism Raja strongly rejected any alleged connection between PTI and terrorism. He said PTI had never had any association with terrorism. Referring to the person killed in Rawalpindi, he said the party did not know which group the man belonged to or what activities he had been involved in. Raja described PTI as a peaceful political party. He said the party opposed terrorism and had never been part of any violent activity. He maintained that PTI was continuing its political struggle within the framework of the Constitution and the law.

  • |

    Bigg Boss season 20 goes multilingual, confirms September premiere

    South Asia’s biggest reality TV franchise is making a comeback, and this time, the scale is unprecedented. JioHotstar and Colors TV confirmed on Tuesday that Bigg Boss is returning for its 20th season. They also revealed a new motion logo with a redesigned, multi-coloured eye, marking two decades of the show. The announcement clip kept things minimal, closing simply with “Bigg Boss coming soon.” The accompanying caption leaned into the show’s long run, calling it “still the most eye-conic one” two decades in, and promising the new season, “jald aa raha hai”. A specific premiere date has not been locked in yet. That, however, has not stopped fans from flooding social media with reactions. Comments ranged from pure excitement to specific demands, with several users asking producers to cast genuinely interesting contestants this time, rather than the same recycled reality-TV faces. The bigger story here, though, is the format shift. For the first time, JioStar will roll out six language editions simultaneously including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, and Bangla, all launching together across JioStar’s television network and its streaming platform, JioHotstar. It is a scale of rollout the show has never attempted before, effectively turning Bigg Boss into a pan-regional television event rather than a single-language phenomenon. Each regional edition will have its own celebrity host. Salman Khan continues his long-standing role anchoring the Hindi season, while the other editions bring in heavyweight names from their respective industries. Sourav Ganguly will front the Bangla version, Vijay Sethupathi takes charge of the Tamil edition, Nagarjuna leads the Telugu season, Kichcha Sudeepa hosts the Kannada edition, and Mohanlal fronts the Malayalam version. No official contestant list has been released, but speculations are already running wild online. Names being floated as possible participants include Jannat Zubair, Urfi Javed, Faisal Shaikh, Anjali Arora, Arbaz Patel, and rapper Santy Sharma, though none of this has been confirmed by the makers. With six simultaneous editions, a starry roster of hosts, and a September launch window, Bigg Boss Season 20 is shaping up to be the franchise’s most ambitious outing yet.

  • |

    Powerful 7.4 magnitude earthquake hits western Colombia, killing at least 111

    A powerful 7.4 magnitude earthquake struck western Colombia on Monday, killing at least 111 people and injuring dozens more in what authorities have confirmed is the country’s strongest earthquake of the 21st century. The massive tremor struck at a depth of 107 kilometres, with its epicentre located near Chocó. Despite occurring deep beneath the Earth’s crust, the intense seismic shock waves triggered widespread destruction across densely populated urban valleys throughout western Colombia and the primary coffee-growing regions. In Pereira, a four-story building collapsed into rubble, while video footage from Manizales captured the catastrophic collapse of one of the side towers of the city’s historic neo-Gothic cathedral. Severe building collapses and casualties were also reported in Cali, where local residents formed human chains alongside emergency responders to shovel away fallen concrete and pull survivors from trapped spaces. Thrusting the administration into its first major crisis just days after his inauguration, President Abelardo De La Espriella declared a national state of emergency. In a live television address, De La Espriella announced that all available state and military resources were being deployed to western Colombia, confirming that the national government’s immediate priority remains the location and rescue of victims trapped beneath collapsed structures. Severe regional communications outages initially delayed casualty reporting from rural zones near the epicentre in Chocó, where Governor Nubia Carolina Córdoba confirmed at least 12 fatalities and scores of injuries. Meanwhile, Colombia’s civil aviation authority halted flight operations across key regional airports, including facilities in Pereira, Manizales, Quibdó, Armenia, Cartago, and Buenaventura, while structural engineers assess airfield and terminal safety. The Colombian Geological Service recorded over 20 aftershocks following the initial quake and warned that additional tremors remain likely. Sitting directly along the seismically active Pacific Ring of Fire, western Colombia previously suffered a devastating magnitude 6.2 earthquake in 1999 that claimed more than 1,000 lives across the same region.

  • |

    US imposes tariffs and price floors on Chinese-dominated polysilicon supply chain

    US President Donald Trump has signed a executive proclamation under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962, introducing a 15 per cent tariff and minimum import price floors on products made from polysilicon. The critical raw material forms the foundational supply chain for both semiconductor chips and solar panels, a sector currently dominated by Chinese manufacturing. The executive action establishes clear import price thresholds across key processing stages. Under the new policy, raw polysilicon is set at a minimum price floor of $21 per kilogram, while polysilicon ingots and wafers are capped at a floor of $100 per kilogram. Solar cells face a minimum price of $0.22 per watt, and finished solar modules or panels carry a minimum threshold of $0.38 per watt. The order also directs the Commerce Department to establish targeted incentive programs for domestic companies investing in polysilicon production facilities. While semiconductor manufacturing accounts for roughly 2.4 per cent of global polysilicon demand, the material’s economic viability depends directly on the volume scale maintained by solar manufacturing. US solar manufacturers and polysilicon producers, including Corning, Hemlock Semiconductor, Wacker Chemie, First Solar, and Qcells, welcomed the strategic protections as essential for safeguarding domestic supply chains necessary for advanced computing and renewable energy. The new trade protections take effect on 4 December 2026, granting buyers a four-month window to adjust existing supply contracts before the higher price thresholds apply.

  • | |

    Pakistan information commission declares Pakistan …

    ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Information Commission (PIC) has declared the Pakistan Bar Council (PBC) a public body under the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017, and directed it to provide within 15 days information sought regarding lawyers’ degrees, licence cancellations, government grants and governing body proceedings. The order was issued in appeal titled Saddia Mazhar vs Pakistan Bar Council, by Chief Information Commissioner Shoaib Ahmad Siddiqui and Information Commissioner Ijaz Hassan Awan. The applicant had sought eight categories of information, including province-wise numbers of PBC members or licence holders; those who had submitted attested degrees; lawyers whose licences were cancelled for failing to submit attested educational documents; and those whose licences were cancelled over fake degrees. She also sought copies of circulars and notifications concerning degree attestation, details of federal and provincial government grants received since 2020, including amounts and dates, and a copy of the latest minutes of the PBC Governing Body meeting. In its reply to the Commission, that the PBC maintained that it was an autonomous statutory body generating its own funds and did not fall within the definition of a public body. Its representatives argued that the government exercised neither financial nor administrative control over it, while acknowledging that the Attorney General for Pakistan is its ex officio member. The Commission rejected the PBC’s position, holding that it is a statutory organisation established under the Legal Practitioners and Bar Councils Act, 1973, and performs important public functions relating to legal education, recognition of law degrees and regulation of legal practitioners. It also observed that Bar Councils receive public funds or government grants and their offices are located in public buildings. The PIC ruled that the PBC falls within the definition of a public body under Section 2(ix)(g) and (h) of the Right of Access to Information Act, 2017. It further held that none of the eight information requests attracted an exemption under the law. The Secretary, Pakistan Bar Council, was consequently directed to provide the requested information within 15 days of receiving the order. The case was adjourned until September 2, 2026.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *