australian court rejects
|

Australian court rejects Hanson’s racial appeal

An Australian court has rejected far-right politician Pauline Hanson’s appeal against a racial vilification ruling.

The case relates to comments Hanson made about Pakistan-born Australian Senator Mehreen Faruqi in 2022.

Faruqi had criticised the British Empire after the death of Queen Elizabeth II. She said she could not mourn the former monarch because of the empire’s history of colonisation.

Hanson responded with a social media post directed at Faruqi. She criticised Faruqi for living in Australia and told her to return to Pakistan.

Faruqi later filed a complaint over the remarks.

The Federal Court ruled in 2024 that Hanson’s comments amounted to racial vilification. The court said the remarks were reasonably likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate Faruqi.

The court also said the comments could affect Muslim Australians and other people from migrant backgrounds.

Hanson challenged the ruling. She argued that her comments did not violate Australia’s racial discrimination laws.

She also argued that the relevant legislation was constitutionally invalid.

The court rejected her appeal on Monday. The earlier finding against Hanson therefore remains in place.

Hanson defended her position after the decision. She said she was angry about Faruqi’s comments concerning the late queen.

She maintained that she had wanted to criticise what she considered disrespectful remarks.

The case has renewed debate over political speech and racial discrimination in Australia. It also highlights the legal restrictions surrounding comments about race, religion and migrant backgrounds.

Faruqi is a senator representing the Greens. She has been active on issues including human rights, immigration and racial equality.

Hanson leads One Nation. The party has built its political support around strict immigration policies and stronger measures against illegal migration.

Hanson has also called for major reductions in government spending. She has promoted proposals aimed at cutting public expenditure.

The politician has further urged Australia to reconsider its membership of some international organisations.

The court decision comes as One Nation continues to attract significant political support. Hanson remains one of Australia’s most recognisable figures on the political right.

The ruling could add to the wider national discussion over the balance between freedom of expression and protection against racial discrimination.

It also reinforces the legal risks politicians can face when public statements target people based on their race, religion or migrant background.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    What’s really going on between Michael B. Jordan…

    Michael B. Jordan and Rihanna have sparked plenty of online curiosity after a recent outing together led fans to wonder whether the two stars could be more than friends. The viral sighting quickly fueled speculation, particularly because both celebrities are major names in entertainment. However, reports suggest there is no romance behind their meeting. According to the information attributed to Page Six, the outing was connected to work, and Jordan and Rihanna are simply friends. A viral moment creates dating rumors Celebrity sightings can quickly become the subject of online speculation, especially when two well-known stars are seen together away from a major public event. That appears to be what happened with Jordan and Rihanna. The pair’s recent appearance was enough for fans to begin wondering about their relationship. Social media reactions quickly turned a casual meeting into a possible romance story, even though neither star has publicly confirmed a relationship. Jordan has generally kept his personal life private. He previously described his love life as a subject he is not particularly interested in discussing publicly, while explaining that his demanding career can make relationships complicated. (Harper’s BAZAAR⁠) Their connection is reportedly professional Despite the speculation, the latest reports indicate that the outing had a professional reason behind it. Sources reportedly told Page Six that Jordan and Rihanna are friends and that their recent time together was work-related. That explanation offers a much simpler answer to the viral photos and suggests fans may have read more into the encounter than was actually there. Neither Jordan nor Rihanna has publicly announced a romantic relationship with each other, making the friendship explanation the only confirmed direction available at this point. Jordan keeps his dating life private Jordan has remained relatively quiet about his relationships throughout his career. His most public romance was with Lori Harvey, whom he dated for more than a year before their 2022 split. Since then, the actor has been linked to several women, although many of those reports were never confirmed. (People.com⁠) His private approach makes it understandable why even a simple public outing can attract considerable attention. Rihanna, meanwhile, has also remained focused on her family, music, business ventures and other professional projects. A sighting with another celebrity does not necessarily indicate a romantic connection. For now, the viral moment appears to be exactly that: a moment that generated plenty of speculation but little evidence of a romance.

  • | |

    Five Nepali climbers’ bodies reach Islamabad

    The bodies of five Nepali climbers who died in an avalanche on Broad Peak have been brought to Islamabad. According to Deputy Commissioner Hamza Murad, the bodies were transported to Islamabad by air and have been placed in the morgue at the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS). He said the bodies would be sent to Nepal once the necessary travel documents had been completed. The avalanche struck Broad Peak about a week ago, leaving 10 climbers missing. According to the deputy commissioner, the bodies of eight climbers, including renowned Nepali mountaineer Nirmal Purja, have so far been recovered. The search for two missing climbers is still underway. They include Pakistani mountaineer Sohail Sakhi and a foreign female climber. Authorities are continuing efforts to locate the remaining climbers while arrangements are being made to repatriate the recovered bodies to their respective countries.

  • | | |

    Iran demands Qatar probe over missing pilots

    TEHRAN: Iran has asked Qatar to allow an Iranian military fact-finding team to enter the country to investigate the fate of pilots Tehran says went missing after an incident involving Iranian aircraft, adding another layer of tension to already strained regional relations. Iranian military official Mohammad Baqerzadeh, commander of the Armed Forces General Staff’s Committee for the Search for Missing Persons, said an Iranian Air Force expert team had been waiting for months to travel to Qatar, according to Iranian media. Baqerzadeh accused Qatari authorities of repeatedly delaying the investigation and called on the International Committee of the Red Cross to intervene in the case. Qatar, however, has rejected Iran’s claim that it is holding Iranian pilots. Doha said its search-and-rescue teams recently recovered the remains of one pilot after Iranian aircraft entered Qatari airspace in March and failed to respond to repeated attempts to establish contact. Qatari authorities said they had contacted Tehran to coordinate the transfer of the remains and invited Iranian officials to examine details of the search-and-rescue operation. Qatar said it had not received a response. The dispute comes as Tehran continues to focus heavily on the security of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important energy shipping routes. Iran says air defence capacity survived war Separately, an Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps official claimed that more than 85 per cent of Iran’s air-defence production capacity survived the recent conflict. According to Iranian media reports, the official said attacks on military production facilities had not significantly reduced the production or delivery of missiles and air-defence systems. He also claimed that production in some areas had increased and that Iran’s operational air-defence capabilities were now stronger than at the beginning of the fighting. The claims could not be independently verified. Hormuz shipping talks continue Iran has also announced progress in negotiations with Oman over new shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran and Muscat had reached an agreement on a shipping-route map following weeks of technical discussions. The negotiations began after a memorandum of understanding was signed in June to develop safer navigation arrangements. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stressed that the technical talks with Oman should not be confused with negotiations over reopening the waterway. He said existing maritime routes were no longer functional and that Iran and Oman were working on a temporary route that could eventually become permanent. Tehran links security to US actions Iranian officials continue to insist that the full restoration of security in the strait depends on an end to what Tehran describes as US military pressure, threats and a naval blockade. Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also declared that the Strait of Hormuz would remain under Iranian control, while accusing Washington of suffering strategic setbacks. The statements underline the widening gap between Iran and the United States over the strategic waterway, despite technical discussions between Iran and Oman aimed at facilitating maritime navigation. Hezbollah commander reportedly killed Meanwhile, tensions have also continued along Iran’s regional front. Israel’s military said it killed Abu Hassan Alaa, described as a senior Hezbollah commander, in a strike in southern Lebanon. The Israeli army said the attack targeted a Hezbollah headquarters in the Ansar area. Hezbollah had not immediately commented on the claim. The developments show how multiple disputes remain intertwined across the region, from missing military personnel and air-defence claims to the sensitive question of shipping through Hormuz. For Tehran, however, control and security of the strait remain central. While Iran and Oman appear to be making technical progress on navigation arrangements, Iranian officials continue to maintain that any broader reopening of the waterway will depend on wider political and security conditions.

  • | |

    Fake govt representative arrested in Lahore, NCCIA…

    LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) Lahore has arrested a man accused of impersonating government institutions and senior officials to influence officers and collect money through fraudulent promises. The suspect, identified as Faiz Ali Syed, was arrested on the special directions of NCCIA Punjab Director Muhammad Ali Wasim. Investigators said the suspect allegedly used fake identities and documents to approach officials and private individuals, claiming he could arrange government-related work and facilitate appointments in public departments in exchange for money. According to FIR No. 171/2026, Syed allegedly contacted officers through multiple WhatsApp numbers while presenting himself as a representative of prominent government institutions. Investigators also found that he used a fake green registration plate on a private vehicle to create an impression of official authority. A man dressed in a police uniform was also allegedly kept with him to reinforce the appearance of influence and official status. Three mobile phones were recovered from the suspect. Their preliminary examination reportedly uncovered WhatsApp conversations, official-looking correspondence and evidence of financial transactions linked to the alleged fraud. One of the WhatsApp accounts was reportedly labelled “Apex Court,” while conversations showed the suspect allegedly portraying himself as a member of an important state institution. Investigators also recovered several letters issued in the suspect’s name that contained claims regarding appointments to senior government positions. Further analysis of the mobile devices revealed communications suggesting that money was allegedly collected from individuals on the promise of getting their work done or securing favours through government departments. The NCCIA is investigating the case from several angles, including electronic fraud, forgery, impersonation of government institutions and financial deception. A detailed forensic examination of the recovered phones and other evidence is continuing, with investigators expecting further revelations as the probe progresses.

  • |

    Trump’s former lawyer Todd Blanche confirmed as US attorney general

    Todd Blanche, a former personal attorney to US President Donald Trump, has been confirmed as the country’s attorney general after a closely contested Senate vote. Blanche secured confirmation by 50 votes to 49, with Republican Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski joining Democrats in opposing his nomination. Senator Bill Cassidy provided the crucial Republican vote in Blanche’s favour after saying he believed Blanche was the strongest candidate Trump was likely to nominate. The vote ended a prolonged dispute between the Trump administration and Senate Republicans over Blanche’s appointment. He had been serving as acting attorney general since April, after Pam Bondi was removed from the position. All Senate Democrats voted against Blanche’s confirmation. Several Republican lawmakers had questioned Blanche’s record and raised concerns about his involvement in a number of controversial matters. Among them was his handling of documents related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and his role in developing Trump’s proposed $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund. The proposed fund was intended to compensate people who claimed they had been politically targeted or persecuted by the government. However, critics, including Murkowski, warned that the scheme could potentially benefit people prosecuted for their involvement in the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol. During his confirmation process, Blanche promised to abandon the proposed fund following opposition from Republican senators. Questions remain over whether that commitment would prevent the administration from introducing a similar programme under a different structure in the future. Murkowski said she opposed Blanche because she lacked confidence that he would be willing to challenge what she described as the administration’s worst impulses. She also expressed concern about the increasing politicisation of the Justice Department. Collins raised separate concerns over Blanche’s involvement in Trump’s $10 billion lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service. Despite those reservations, she ultimately did not support his confirmation. Cassidy, meanwhile, said he trusted Blanche to provide Trump with independent and candid legal advice. He acknowledged that the president ultimately determines the direction of the Justice Department but argued that Senate confirmation would give Blanche greater authority to advise the administration and push back when necessary. Cassidy also said he did not want political disagreements to prevent the Justice Department from carrying out its responsibilities, particularly in combating violent crime. Blanche’s confirmation marks a significant development for the Trump administration, given his previous role as Trump’s personal lawyer. He was serving as deputy attorney general when he assumed the department’s temporary leadership in April.

  • | |

    Farooq Sattar calls for more provinces in Pakistan

    Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) senior leader Dr Farooq Sattar has called for the creation of more provinces, saying Pakistan cannot be effectively governed through the existing four provinces or by the influence of a few political families. Speaking after arriving at the party’s Bahadurabad headquarters in Karachi, Sattar said the country needs a more inclusive and participatory federal structure with additional provinces to ensure balanced governance and fair representation. He said the movement for administrative reforms would continue until the establishment of more provinces across the country. According to Sattar, creating new provinces is essential for improving governance, strengthening the federation and addressing regional disparities. The MQM-P leader also praised the country’s leadership for demonstrating resilience during challenging times. He commended Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the nation for showing determination and courage. Sattar reiterated that constitutional and administrative reforms are necessary to build a stronger and more representative Pakistan, adding that decentralisation would help improve public service delivery and promote national unity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *