australian court rejects
|

Australian court rejects Hanson’s racial appeal

An Australian court has rejected far-right politician Pauline Hanson’s appeal against a racial vilification ruling.

The case relates to comments Hanson made about Pakistan-born Australian Senator Mehreen Faruqi in 2022.

Faruqi had criticised the British Empire after the death of Queen Elizabeth II. She said she could not mourn the former monarch because of the empire’s history of colonisation.

Hanson responded with a social media post directed at Faruqi. She criticised Faruqi for living in Australia and told her to return to Pakistan.

Faruqi later filed a complaint over the remarks.

The Federal Court ruled in 2024 that Hanson’s comments amounted to racial vilification. The court said the remarks were reasonably likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate Faruqi.

The court also said the comments could affect Muslim Australians and other people from migrant backgrounds.

Hanson challenged the ruling. She argued that her comments did not violate Australia’s racial discrimination laws.

She also argued that the relevant legislation was constitutionally invalid.

The court rejected her appeal on Monday. The earlier finding against Hanson therefore remains in place.

Hanson defended her position after the decision. She said she was angry about Faruqi’s comments concerning the late queen.

She maintained that she had wanted to criticise what she considered disrespectful remarks.

The case has renewed debate over political speech and racial discrimination in Australia. It also highlights the legal restrictions surrounding comments about race, religion and migrant backgrounds.

Faruqi is a senator representing the Greens. She has been active on issues including human rights, immigration and racial equality.

Hanson leads One Nation. The party has built its political support around strict immigration policies and stronger measures against illegal migration.

Hanson has also called for major reductions in government spending. She has promoted proposals aimed at cutting public expenditure.

The politician has further urged Australia to reconsider its membership of some international organisations.

The court decision comes as One Nation continues to attract significant political support. Hanson remains one of Australia’s most recognisable figures on the political right.

The ruling could add to the wider national discussion over the balance between freedom of expression and protection against racial discrimination.

It also reinforces the legal risks politicians can face when public statements target people based on their race, religion or migrant background.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Sindh High Court seeks record in Mustafa Amir murd…

    The Sindh High Court has expressed concern over delays in the trial of Mustafa Amir’s murder case. The court has sought the complete case record from the trial court. Mustafa Amir’s mother approached the high court against what she described as slow progress in the case. During the hearing, the court questioned why the proceedings had not moved forward. The court also asked whether Section 302 had been added to the case. The complainant’s lawyer said several cases were pending against suspect Armaghan. He alleged that different delaying tactics were being used to slow the proceedings. According to the lawyer, the defence had given several reasons for the delays. At times, disagreements reportedly occurred between the suspect and his parents. On other occasions, the defence lawyer did not appear in court. The suspect had also expressed a lack of confidence in the trial court. The court questioned why the cases were not proceeding despite the suspect being in jail. It observed that continued delays could keep him behind bars for years if he failed to secure bail. The complainant’s lawyer said the case was highly important. However, he claimed that the proceedings were mainly resulting in new hearing dates. The court said the trial should move forward quickly if the accused was using delaying tactics. It said the trial court and prosecution would be given directions to ensure the case proceeds without unnecessary delays. Justice Abdul Rahman also asked whether a medical board had been formed to conduct a psychological examination of the suspect. The complainant’s lawyer said the board had not yet been constituted. Justice Iqbal Kalhoro asked whether charges had been formally framed in the case. The court also directed the complainant to file an application seeking an early trial. The judges warned that prolonged delays could affect the evidence of witnesses. They said witnesses could forget important details if the proceedings remained pending for a long period. Meanwhile, CIA police have also started investigating the alleged drug-related aspect of the Mustafa Amir murder case. The complainant’s lawyer told the court that an application had already been submitted. He said the relevant material was available in the case diary. The court directed the authorities to submit a report at the next hearing. The report will include details of the case’s progress and the adjournments that have taken place. Speaking outside the Sindh High Court, Mustafa Amir’s mother said the case had been delayed for around one and a half years. She alleged that unnecessary delays were affecting the proceedings.

  • | | |

    Fazl says Naqvi couldn’t speak without PM&#8…

    Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (F) chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman has said Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi could not have made recent remarks without consulting the prime minister, while calling for a national policy to address the country’s political and administrative challenges. Addressing a press conference in Quetta, Fazlur Rehman said there was no comprehensive national policy to improve the country’s current situation. He said the proposal to create new provinces should be considered carefully in light of Pakistan’s administrative structure and overall capacity. He said creating new provinces was not a bad idea in principle, but stressed that it was not a simple process and required serious consideration of the country’s political, constitutional and financial realities. The JUI-F chief alleged that new political debates were often introduced to divert public attention from pressing national issues. He urged Mahmood Khan Achakzai to convene a meeting of the joint opposition to discuss the country’s political situation. Fazlur Rehman said if such a meeting was not called, his party would organize a broader national-level conference to deliberate on the challenges facing the country. He warned that democracy could not flourish if governments continued to be formed according to individual preferences rather than the public mandate. He further said democratic institutions had weakened and Parliament was no longer functioning effectively. According to him, Pakistan must be governed strictly in accordance with the Constitution to restore public confidence. Calling for a fair and nationally inclusive policy, Fazlur Rehman said the country needed governance based on justice and equality. He also confirmed that JUI-F had decided not to join the government in Balochistan. Commenting on provincial politics, he said JUI-F remained the country’s largest public political movement and added that he had no knowledge of any proposal regarding Abdul Malik Baloch becoming the next chief minister of Balochistan.

  • | | | |

    Yemen launches counter-operation against Houthis a…

    Yemen’s internationally recognised government forces have launched a military counter-operation against the Houthis following a series of missile and drone attacks on military positions in the provinces of Marib and Hadramout, according to a military spokesman. Yemeni army spokesman Majed al-Nazili said the government forces had begun responding to the attacks and would not tolerate threats against civilians, troops or military positions. “We will give a decisive military response to the threats facing the Yemeni people and armed forces,” al-Nazili said, according to the statement cited by local media. The announcement comes after Houthi forces carried out a series of attacks on government-aligned military camps in Marib and Hadramout. Recent reports said at least 30 Yemeni government soldiers were killed and 15 others wounded in the strikes. The escalation has raised fresh concerns over the fragile security situation in Yemen, where large-scale fighting had significantly declined following the UN-mediated truce that began in April 2022. Although the truce formally expired later that year, the country avoided a full return to nationwide warfare for an extended period. The latest violence is being closely watched because Marib remains strategically important to Yemen’s government, while Hadramout is a major eastern province with significant military and economic importance. The United Nations has repeatedly warned that renewed military escalation could undermine diplomatic efforts and worsen Yemen’s already severe humanitarian crisis. The UN Security Council has stressed the need for restraint and a Yemeni-led political process as the most viable route toward a lasting settlement. The latest developments could therefore mark a dangerous turning point if the government’s promised counter-operation leads to sustained fighting. For millions of Yemenis already affected by years of conflict, renewed hostilities could bring further displacement, economic hardship and pressure on essential services. With both sides now trading threats and military strikes, attention is turning to whether the latest confrontation remains limited—or develops into a broader escalation across Yemen.

  • | |

    Hayden Panettiere’s hidden health battle during …

    Hayden Panettiere’s death at just 36 has left fans mourning a star whose life was marked by remarkable success as well as deeply personal struggles. The actress, best known for Heroes and Nashville, died on August 16, 2026, and new reports have drawn attention to the serious health problems she experienced during the months before her passing. Panettiere’s final period was reportedly far more difficult than many fans realized. Reports have described severe health issues that affected her ability to move comfortably and left her struggling physically. Her health concerns have now become an important part of the conversation surrounding her sudden death. (Page Six⁠) The actress had been open throughout her life about some of her personal battles, particularly her struggles with addiction and the emotional challenges she experienced. However, she did not publicly reveal every detail of what she was going through physically in the months leading up to her death. Panettiere’s career began when she was a child, eventually leading to major roles that made her a household name. She gained widespread recognition as Claire Bennet on Heroes before taking on the role of country singer Juliette Barnes on Nashville. Her performance on the musical drama earned her critical attention and a devoted following. Away from television, Panettiere also appeared in the Scream franchise and several other films. Her career demonstrated her versatility as both an actress and performer. Her personal life, however, was frequently the subject of public attention. Panettiere spoke honestly about addiction, motherhood, relationships and trauma in her memoir, This Is Me: A Reckoning. She also discussed how difficult experiences had affected her physical and emotional wellbeing. Following her death, reports have emphasized that there were no immediate indications of foul play. Authorities are continuing to establish the precise circumstances surrounding her passing, meaning claims about a specific medical cause should be treated carefully until official findings are released. The renewed focus on Panettiere’s health also highlights how little the public can know about what celebrities experience privately. Even while appearing at public events and communicating with fans, she may have been dealing with serious difficulties away from the cameras. For those who grew up watching Heroes or followed Juliette Barnes’ journey on Nashville, Panettiere’s passing represents the loss of a familiar face who had been part of popular culture for decades. Her final months may have been difficult, but her legacy is much larger than her struggles. Panettiere leaves behind memorable performances, a powerful story of survival a countless fans who will remember the energy and vulnerability she brought to the screen.

  • |

    Weekly inflation rises 0.15% in second week of August

    ISLAMABAD: Weekly inflation increased by 0.15% during the second week of August 2026, pushing the year-on-year inflation rate to 9.11%, according to the latest data released by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS). The weekly Sensitive Price Indicator (SPI), which tracks changes in the prices of essential consumer goods, showed a mixed trend during the week. Prices of several food and household items increased, while consumers received some relief from lower prices of petroleum products and selected food commodities. According to the PBS report, prices of 20 out of 51 essential commodities increased during the week under review, while prices of nine items declined. The prices of the remaining 22 commodities remained unchanged. Onion prices surge sharply Among the major price increases, onions recorded the most significant weekly jump, becoming 24.68% more expensive compared with the previous week. The increase is likely to add further pressure on household food budgets, particularly for low-income consumers who are more exposed to fluctuations in basic food prices. The price of gram pulse increased by 3.35%, while chicken became 2.45% more expensive during the week. LPG prices also edged up by 0.67%. Other commodities that recorded weekly price increases included tea, mustard oil, yoghurt and masoor pulse, adding to the overall upward movement in the weekly inflation indicator. Petroleum prices provide some relief The weekly inflation reading was partly offset by declines in the prices of petroleum and several food items. Petrol prices decreased by 2.35% during the week, providing some relief to consumers and transport users. Tomato prices fell by 1.26%, while potatoes became 0.73% cheaper. Diesel prices also declined, though marginally, by 0.29%. Prices of bananas, moong pulse, eggs and sugar also recorded weekly decreases. Despite these reductions, the increase in the prices of several essential food items, particularly onions, pulses and chicken, kept overall weekly inflation in positive territory. Food prices remain major source of annual pressure The year-on-year comparison presents a more pronounced picture of price pressures in several essential commodities. Tomatoes recorded the largest annual increase, with prices rising by 143.77% compared with the same period last year. Onion prices were 125.75% higher, while wheat flour became 77.41% more expensive. LPG prices increased by 55.41% on an annual basis, while diesel recorded a 34.05% increase. Petrol prices were also 23.02% higher than a year earlier. The sharp annual increases in basic food items indicate that consumers continue to face significant pressure in meeting everyday household expenses, even though some commodities have become cheaper compared with last year. Several commodities become cheaper annually The annual data also showed declines in the prices of a number of commodities. Potato prices dropped by 30% compared with a year earlier, marking the largest annual decline among the commodities listed in the report. Sugar prices fell by 17.93%, while chicken became 17.45% cheaper on an annual basis. Gram pulse, eggs and moong pulse also recorded year-on-year declines. The contrasting movements highlight the uneven nature of inflation, with some essential commodities witnessing substantial annual increases while others have recorded notable reductions. The latest PBS figures suggest that although overall inflation remains elevated, price movements continue to vary considerably across different categories. Food, energy and other essential commodities remain key factors influencing household expenditure and the broader cost-of-living situation.

  • | | |

    Naqvi meets Araghchi in Tehran amid US-Iran mediat…

    Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Tehran on Tuesday as diplomatic efforts continue to ease tensions between Iran and the United States. The meeting focused on regional developments and matters of mutual interest. Iranian state media reported that the two ministers also discussed diplomatic and bilateral issues. The meeting took place against the backdrop of continuing efforts to find a diplomatic way forward in the US-Iran conflict. Pakistan has remained engaged with regional partners as part of efforts to support dialogue and reduce tensions. Iranian officials said Naqvi is expected to hold additional meetings with senior authorities during his visit to Tehran. Discussions are expected to cover bilateral relations, regional developments and issues affecting both countries. The visit also comes around a month after Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni visited Islamabad. During that visit, Pakistani and Iranian officials held discussions on bilateral cooperation and regional matters. Pakistan has maintained diplomatic contacts with both sides during the recent crisis. Islamabad has also sought to encourage dialogue as tensions between Tehran and Washington have increased. Pakistan, along with Qatar, previously played a role in diplomatic efforts aimed at bringing Iran and the United States closer to an understanding. These efforts contributed to a memorandum of understanding between the two sides in June. The latest meeting between Naqvi and Araghchi is therefore being viewed in the context of Islamabad’s broader diplomatic engagement with Tehran. Officials have not released detailed information about the specific issues discussed during Tuesday’s meeting. Further details are expected after Naqvi completes his scheduled engagements with Iranian officials.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *