russia ready ukraine
|

Russia ready for Ukraine peace ideas, but sets con…

MOSCOW: Russia is prepared to consider fresh proposals aimed at ending the war in Ukraine, but any initiative must take account of what Moscow describes as the “realities on the ground”, a senior Russian diplomat said on Friday.

Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said Moscow remained willing to maintain dialogue with Washington, while questioning whether the United States could exert enough influence over Kyiv and its European supporters to move negotiations forward.

His comments came as diplomatic efforts to end the conflict remain largely stalled, with international attention also focused on the wider tensions surrounding the war in Iran.

In an interview with Russian media outlet News.ru, Ryabkov said Moscow had seen signs that Washington was prepared for constructive discussions and showed some understanding of Russia’s position.

“At this stage, it is more important to what extent Washington is able to influence the decisions of the Kyiv regime and its European sponsors,” he said.

Ryabkov accused some European countries of continuing to seek what he called a “strategic defeat” of Russia, highlighting one of the central obstacles facing any potential peace agreement.

Moscow Awaits New Proposals

Russia and the United States have held discussions aimed at finding a path towards ending the Ukraine conflict, but negotiations have made little visible progress.

The Kremlin said on Thursday that it had not received information about a possible new visit to Moscow by US presidential envoys Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff. The two have previously played prominent roles in contacts with Russian officials.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last month that Washington remained committed to helping end the war after meeting Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Manila.

However, Rubio also warned against expecting a rapid agreement, saying Washington was attempting to find a middle ground between the positions of the two sides.

Ryabkov said Russia would be ready to examine any proposals put forward by Washington, provided they were consistent with Moscow’s stated objectives.

“The Russian Federation is ready to listen to any reasonable proposals and ideas that are in line with the goals set by the Russian president and meet the ‘realities on the ground’,” he said.

Territorial Disputes Remain Central

The comments underline the continuing importance of territory in the negotiations.

After almost four and a half years of war, Russia controls around one-fifth of Ukraine’s internationally recognised territory.

Moscow has repeatedly said it is willing to negotiate, but insists that any settlement must acknowledge what it calls the new realities created by the conflict.

Ukraine and its Western allies have opposed recognising Russian territorial gains, making the issue one of the most difficult elements of any potential peace agreement.

The challenge for Washington is therefore not simply bringing Moscow and Kyiv back to negotiations, but finding terms that could satisfy competing demands over territory, security guarantees and the future political order in the region.

Nuclear Dialogue Also on the Table

Ryabkov also signalled that Moscow wants to keep diplomatic channels open with Washington on nuclear weapons.

The issue has gained urgency since the New START treaty expired in February, leaving Russia and the United States without binding limits on their strategic nuclear arsenals for the first time in more than five decades.

Moscow has said it would continue observing the treaty’s limits on missiles and warheads as long as Washington does the same.

“We remain open in the future to find political and diplomatic ways to stabilise this area,” Ryabkov said.

The nuclear issue adds another layer to an already complicated US-Russia relationship. Even as the two countries remain deeply divided over Ukraine, Moscow appears keen to prevent the collapse of communication on strategic weapons.

For now, Russia’s message is that the door to diplomacy remains open — but only proposals that reflect Moscow’s stated conditions and its view of the battlefield are likely to receive serious consideration.

With the war continuing and previous negotiations stalled, the next major test will be whether Washington can persuade Kyiv, Moscow and European governments to move beyond competing positions and return to substantive peace discussions.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Pogacar on verge of Fifth Tour de France title aft…

    Defending champion Tadej Pogacar is on the verge of winning a record-equalling fifth Tour de France after taking a storming victory on stage 19 to Alpe d’Huez. The UAE Team Emirates-XRG rider pulled more than three minutes back on a breakaway group on the hors category final climb up to the famous ski resort, which was flanked by thousands of spectators from around the world. Pogacar, 27, is aiming to become the joint-most successful rider in the Tour’s history with five wins, alongside legends Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault, and Miguel Indurain. He holds a dominant lead over Belgium’s Remco Evenepoel of seven minutes 11 seconds, despite the Belgian’s improved climbing form this year. Pogacar’s Mexican teammate Isaac del Toro remains third and in the white young riders’ classification leader’s jersey, nine minutes 42 seconds down. The peloton will take on Alpe d’Huez once again on Saturday for the three-week race’s mountainous ‘queen’ stage, which includes an extra 2,000 metres of climbing. “It was very cool to win up here – it was a crazy atmosphere all climb and I’m thankful for the team that I could pull it off,” said Pogacar. “When I heard some of the guys [were] dropped when [teammate] Felix [Grosschartner] set a super good pace at the beginning of the climb, I was already going full gas, as the breakaway was so strong. Every kilometre of Alpe d’Huez I had good legs and not many could follow [me].” Pogacar crossed the line six seconds ahead of France’s Lenny Martinez of Bahrain-Victorious, who thumped his handlebars several times in frustration as he crossed the line. Ecuador’s in-form rider Richard Carapaz of EF Education-Easypost, who won Thursday’s stage to Ocieres Merlette, finished a further three seconds behind in third. A 40-plus strong breakaway had established a lead over the peloton and yellow-jersey wearer Pogacar by several minutes mid-stage, but the main pack began to slowly reel them in. It was Martinez, the USA’s Sepp Kuss of Visma-Lease a Bike, and a typically animated Carapaz who eventually emerged as the three seemingly set to battle for victory as they began Alpe d’Huez’s legendary twisting ribbons of tarmac. But Pogacar had other ideas and set a record time on the final climb of 35 minutes 27 seconds, beating the time set by Italy’s legendary Marco Pantani in 1997. The victory puts Pogacar in a commanding position heading into the final stages of the Tour. With a lead of over seven minutes, he is all but assured of his fifth title, provided he avoids any mishaps in the remaining stages. The Slovenian rider has been in dominant form throughout the race, winning multiple stages and showcasing his incredible climbing ability. As the Tour enters its final days, fans will be eagerly watching to see if Pogacar can cement his place among the legends of the sport. His performance on Alpe d’Huez has already etched his name into Tour history, and a fifth victory would confirm his status as one of the greatest riders of all time. The final stages promise more excitement as the peloton battles for stage wins and final classification positions, but the spotlight remains firmly on Pogacar as he closes in on another historic achievement.

  • | |

    Babar Azam explains Pakistan’s defeat against We…

    Pakistan captain Babar Azam admitted his side’s batting collapse was the decisive factor in their 90‑run defeat to West Indies in the opening Test at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy. Chasing 211, Pakistan were bowled out for just 120, handing the hosts a 1‑0 lead in the two‑match series. Speaking after the match, Azam said Pakistan had shown fight over the first three days but failed to deliver with the bat when it mattered. “As a batting unit, we weren’t up to the mark. We kept losing wickets in quick succession, and our batting let us down,” he reflected. He dismissed suggestions that the pitch was to blame, noting that while the surface offered movement with the new ball, it remained playable. “West Indies bowled very well and used the conditions brilliantly. By the fourth day, the ball was keeping low and bouncing unevenly. We weren’t able to build partnerships, and that’s why we lost,” he explained. Azam highlighted the absence of opener Shan Masood, who is sidelined with a fractured finger, as a setback but stressed that other batters must take responsibility. “Yes, Shan’s injury affected us, but when you’re facing the new ball you have to survive the first 20 overs and build partnerships. We couldn’t do that,” he said. Despite the loss, Azam remained optimistic about Pakistan’s chances in the second Test. “We’ll sit together and discuss these things. While the result didn’t go our way, we can certainly address our mistakes. We’ll do our best to correct them and ensure we improve going forward,” he added.

  • | | |

    Pakistan car sales jump 141% in July

    ISLAMABAD: Car sales in Pakistan recorded a strong increase in July 2026. Sales rose by 141.28% compared with the same month last year. According to data released by the Pakistan Automotive Manufacturers Association (PAMA), manufacturers sold 17,216 vehicles in July 2026. The figure was significantly higher than the sales recorded in July 2025. A total of 7,135 vehicles were sold during that month. The latest figures show that vehicle demand improved sharply at the beginning of the new financial year. The increase also indicates stronger activity in Pakistan’s automobile market. The year-on-year rise was recorded despite continued challenges facing the automobile sector. Higher vehicle prices and financing costs have affected the market in recent years. The latest sales figures, however, show a notable recovery in demand. Industry data also showed an increase in electric vehicle sales during July. The growth points to rising interest in electric vehicles in the local market. The increase in electric vehicle sales could also reflect changing consumer preferences. Buyers are gradually showing greater interest in newer and more fuel-efficient technologies. Automobile manufacturers and dealers are expected to closely monitor the trend in coming months. Sustained growth in sales could provide a positive signal for the broader automotive industry.

  • | |

    Gracie Abrams credits Taylor Swift for a precious …

    Gracie Abrams has never hidden her admiration for Taylor Swift, but the singer-songwriter is now revealing that Swift’s influence goes far beyond music. In a recent cover story interview with Rolling Stone, Abrams shared how watching the global pop icon navigate fame and success taught her one of the most valuable lessons of her career: learning to let go of her ego and focus on the work that truly matters. (Rolling Stone⁠) Abrams, who has become one of pop music’s fastest-rising stars, said observing Swift’s professionalism changed the way she approaches her own career. Rather than chasing validation or allowing success to shape her identity, Abrams explained that Swift inspired her to stay grounded, remain curious, and always prioritize creativity over personal pride. According to Abrams, one of the biggest takeaways from spending time around Swift was seeing how someone with extraordinary global success continues to work with humility. She admitted that the experience helped her rethink how ego can sometimes interfere with artistic growth. Instead of trying to prove herself, Abrams now focuses on making honest music that reflects her experiences and emotions. The two artists have developed a close professional relationship over the past few years. Abrams previously joined Swift as an opening act on select dates of The Eras Tour, giving her the opportunity to perform in front of massive stadium crowds around the world. The experience introduced Abrams to millions of new listeners while allowing her to witness firsthand the dedication and discipline that have defined Swift’s career. (Rolling Stone⁠) Abrams also praised Swift for creating an environment where artists feel supported rather than intimidated. She described the Grammy-winning superstar as generous with her advice and encouragement, adding that Swift’s confidence comes from preparation and hard work instead of ego. That mindset, Abrams said, motivated her to approach challenges with greater patience and self-belief. Since releasing her breakthrough projects, Abrams has earned widespread praise for her emotional songwriting and intimate storytelling. Her honest lyrics and understated style have helped her build a loyal fan base, while collaborations with respected artists have further established her place in contemporary pop music. Even as her popularity continues to grow, Abrams says she wants to remain authentic and committed to personal growth. Taylor Swift’s influence, she believes, extends beyond chart-topping songs and sold-out tours. For Abrams, the biggest lesson has been understanding that long-term success is built on consistency, kindness, and a willingness to keep learning. As Abrams continues to evolve as both an artist and songwriter, she credits Swift for helping her develop a healthier perspective on fame. By letting go of ego and embracing humility, the young singer says she has found greater confidence in her own voice. It is a lesson she hopes to carry with her throughout every stage of her career.

  • |

    Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu travels quietly to Washington

      JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu departed for Washington under extraordinary security measures amid growing concerns over potential threats from Iran. According to media reports, Netanyahu traveled discreetly and avoided the country’s main international airport, reflecting heightened security precautions ahead of his meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump. Reports stated that instead of departing from the usual Ben Gurion International Airport, Netanyahu left Israel aboard a special aircraft from Nevatim Air Base, a military facility in southern Israel. The unusual departure arrangements were reportedly made due to security concerns related to possible threats from Iran. The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office did not announce the departure time in advance and did not issue an official explanation for the extraordinary security measures. However, Israeli media cited security sources as saying that the changes were implemented because of concerns about potential Iranian threats. According to the reports, security precautions were also tightened within Israel before Netanyahu’s departure. Sources said that Sunday’s Israeli cabinet meeting was not held at the Prime Minister’s Office, as is customary. Instead, the meeting reportedly took place at a secret underground location for security reasons. Officials did not publicly disclose the exact location or provide additional details about the decision. Media also reported another unusual step taken during the visit preparations. Unlike previous foreign trips, Israeli authorities did not allow members of the Israeli diplomatic press corps to accompany Prime Minister Netanyahu aboard the official government aircraft. No formal explanation was given for excluding journalists from the flight, although reports suggested that the decision was linked to heightened security concerns. Netanyahu has now arrived in Washington, where he is expected to hold high-level talks with U.S. President Donald Trump. The meeting is anticipated to focus on several major regional and international issues, with Iran expected to dominate the agenda. Following his departure for the United States, Netanyahu shared a statement on social media outlining the objectives of his visit. He said that his discussions with President Trump would cover a wide range of issues affecting Israel and the Middle East. According to the Israeli leader, Iran would be the top priority during the meeting because of ongoing regional tensions and security concerns. Netanyahu stated that Israel’s primary goal remains ensuring the country’s security, strengthening its national defense, and expanding what he described as the “circle of peace” around Israel. He emphasized that cooperation with the United States continues to play a vital role in addressing regional challenges and promoting stability. The visit comes at a time of continued tensions between Israel and Iran, with both countries accusing each other of actions that threaten regional security. Analysts believe that discussions between Netanyahu and President Trump are likely to include Iran’s nuclear program, regional security, military cooperation, and broader strategic relations between the United States and Israel. In his statement, Netanyahu also said that he intends to express his condolences to President Trump over the passing of Lindsey Graham whom he described as a true friend of Israel. The Washington meeting is expected to be closely watched by international observers, as its outcomes could influence future U.S.-Israel cooperation and regional diplomatic developments.

  • | |

    10 electric buses arrive in Azad Kashmir

    Ten electric buses have been delivered to Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) from Islamabad as part of a new public transport initiative for the region. The buses have been provided by Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz. The initiative follows an announcement made by Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Nawaz Sharif during a public gathering in Muzaffarabad. Nawaz Sharif had announced that electric buses would be provided to AJK to improve public transport facilities in the region. The arrival of the first 10 buses marks progress towards implementing that announcement. The new buses are expected to provide residents with a modern transport option. They are also aimed at improving the quality of public transportation and making daily travel more convenient for citizens. The electric buses were transported from Islamabad to Azad Kashmir. Their arrival is likely to support efforts to upgrade the region’s existing public transport system. The initiative is also significant because electric buses can help reduce dependence on conventional fuel-powered public transport. Their use can contribute to lower emissions and cleaner urban environments. The provision of the buses reflects cooperation between Punjab and the AJK administration in the transport sector. The initiative is expected to benefit commuters, particularly those who rely on public transport for work, education and other daily activities. The announcement was made during Nawaz Sharif’s address in Muzaffarabad, where he spoke about development and public welfare initiatives for Azad Kashmir. The arrival of the buses is expected to be followed by further steps to put them into service for the public. Authorities will determine their routes and operational arrangements. The initiative is being viewed as part of broader efforts to introduce modern and environmentally friendly transportation facilities in AJK.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *