kusal mendis ruled
|

Kusal Mendis ruled out of LPL 2026 With hamstring injury

Sri Lanka’s ODI captain Kusal Mendis has been ruled out of the remainder of the Lanka Premier League (LPL) 2026 after suffering a hamstring injury during Colombo Caps’ match against Kandy Royals.

The wicketkeeper-batter sustained the injury while attempting a run during the contest, although Colombo Caps went on to register a six-wicket victory. Following medical assessments, Sri Lanka Cricket confirmed that Mendis will begin his rehabilitation at the National High Performance Centre.

His absence is a significant setback for Colombo Caps, who have appointed Kamindu Mendis as captain for the rest of the tournament.

The injury also raises concerns for Sri Lanka ahead of their two-match series against India, scheduled to begin on August 15. Mendis is a key member of the national side across formats and was expected to play a leading role, including wicketkeeping duties. However, officials have not yet announced a timeline for his recovery.

Before the injury, Mendis had been in outstanding form. He opened his LPL campaign with a brilliant 79-run knock against Galle Gallants and continued to demonstrate the consistency that has made him one of Sri Lanka’s most dependable batters.

Earlier this year, he enjoyed a memorable Pakistan Super League season, scoring 550 runs in 11 innings at an impressive strike rate of 168.19, making him one of the competition’s standout performers.

Mendis has also carried that momentum into international cricket in 2026, scoring 408 runs in 14 innings across all formats. In One-Day Internationals alone, he has accumulated 211 runs in four innings at an outstanding average of 70.33.

Sri Lanka’s medical staff will now closely monitor his recovery, hoping the experienced batter regains full fitness in time for the upcoming international assignments. His absence from the remainder of the LPL is a major blow for Colombo Caps as they continue their campaign without their captain and leading run-scorer.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Missing Pakistani climber Sohail Sakhi’s body recovered on Broad Peak

    The body of Pakistani mountaineer Sohail Sakhi, who went missing following a deadly avalanche on Broad Peak, has been recovered by local volunteers and brought down to the mountain’s base camp, the Alpine Club of Pakistan (ACP) said on Thursday. The recovery brings some closure to the family and friends of Sakhi, who was among a 10-member international expedition caught in the avalanche on July 30. The expedition was led by renowned British-Nepali mountaineer Nirmal Purja, who was accompanied by six elite Nepali guides and other international climbers. The group lost contact after the avalanche struck the mountain, one of the highest peaks in the world. Purja’s company later confirmed that there were no survivors from the expedition. Seven bodies had previously been recovered, while the search for Sakhi, American climber Sarah Mallory Geis, and Nepalese climber Nawang Thindu Sherpa was suspended last week because of the continuing danger of fresh avalanches. On Thursday, ACP member and Pakistani mountaineer Naila Kiani confirmed that Sakhi’s remains had been found by a group of local volunteers from Shigar. According to Kiani, Muhammad Nadeem, Muhammad Bashir and Abuzar were searching the area on their own initiative when they spotted the body. They immediately alerted other people in the area before working with fellow volunteers to bring the remains down from Camp 1. The body was located at an altitude of around 5,600 metres before being transported to Broad Peak Base Camp. ACP General Secretary Ayaz Shigri told Dawn that the body would be transported to Skardu by Pakistan Army helicopter, provided weather conditions allowed an air operation. The recovery operation remains challenging because of unstable conditions on the mountain. Shigri said the bodies of the two remaining missing climbers had not yet been found. He added that rescue teams would resume their search once weather conditions improve and authorities determine that the area is safe for rescuers. Broad Peak, located in the Karakoram range of Gilgit-Baltistan, is known for its extreme altitude, unpredictable weather and difficult climbing conditions. The latest tragedy once again highlights the risks faced by mountaineers attempting some of the world’s highest peaks. For Sakhi’s loved ones, however, the recovery of his body provides an important final step after weeks of uncertainty. The focus now shifts to bringing him home safely and continuing efforts to locate the two climbers who remain missing.

  • |

    South Korea investigates military response after US drone mistaken for threat

    South Korea has launched a review after its military nearly opened fire on a United States military drone that was initially identified as an unknown aircraft near the border with North Korea. The incident briefly raised security concerns in one of the most heavily guarded areas of the Korean Peninsula before officials confirmed the aircraft was taking part in a joint military exercise. According to South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, the drone was detected on Thursday in northern Gyeonggi Province close to the border. Military personnel followed standard operational procedures after they were unable to immediately identify the aircraft. As a precaution, troops prepared to respond while continuing to track its movements. The aircraft was later confirmed to be a United States Marine Corps drone participating in combined training with South Korean forces. The incident prompted a temporary security alert in the border region. Local authorities issued evacuation warnings to residents and farmers living inside the Civilian Control Zone around Cheorwon and nearby communities. Emergency text messages sent shortly after 2 pm advised people in frontline areas to move to shelters or other safe locations until the situation became clear. After military officials confirmed the aircraft’s identity, a second message informed residents that the alert had been lifted and there was no longer any immediate danger. No shots were fired and no injuries or damage were reported. United States Forces Korea confirmed that the aircraft belonged to the US Marine Corps and was involved in a scheduled joint exercise with South Korean troops. The command said it is reviewing the circumstances that led to the misunderstanding and is working with South Korean authorities to examine the incident. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that military inspectors from its readiness office would visit the Army’s 1st Corps on Friday to review how the situation was handled. The inspection will assess whether existing identification and communication procedures were properly followed and whether improvements are needed to prevent similar incidents in the future. The episode highlights the high level of military alert maintained along the border with North Korea, where tensions remain elevated. South Korean forces routinely monitor unidentified aircraft because of the possibility of North Korean military activity. Officials said troops acted according to established procedures because they could not immediately determine whether the aircraft posed a potential threat. The incident also comes shortly after another security concern involving the United States military. Earlier this week, residents living near a US military base in Pyeongtaek were briefly advised to evacuate following an incident involving white phosphorus. That event prompted some civic groups to call for an investigation and for the US military to provide a public explanation. Although the drone incident ended without violence, it has renewed attention on the challenges of coordinating military operations in a region where misunderstandings can quickly escalate. South Korean authorities are expected to use the findings of their review to strengthen communication and operational procedures during future joint exercises with United States forces.

  • |

    Backlash grows within conservative ranks as far-right AfD surges past German chancellor in polls

    German Chancellor Friedrich Merz is facing acute political pressure following a contentious cabinet reshuffle that triggered widespread friction within his conservative ranks. The internal discord comes at a critical juncture, as the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) pulls ahead in national opinion polls ahead of key regional elections in September. The shake-up was prompted by the abrupt departure of party heavyweight Jens Spahn over his decision to have a child via surrogacy abroad, a practice banned in Germany and previously opposed by Spahn himself. Merz appointed his chief of staff, Thorsten Frei, to replace Spahn as leader of the conservative parliamentary group, whilst moving Health Minister Nina Warken into the chancellery. However, additional dismissals, including Transport Minister Patrick Schnieder and junior minister Tino Sorge, provoked sharp backlash from party members in Rhineland-Palatinate and Saxony-Anhalt, who accused Merz of poor communication and unfair treatment. With approval ratings for the CDU/CSU alliance slipping to 21% behind the AfD’s 27%, the upcoming state elections in Saxony-Anhalt and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern present a formidable test. Merz has urged patience, predicting internal tempers will cool before parliament reconvenes in September. However, growing discontent within the coalition leaves the chancellor in a precarious position as he attempts to push forward economic and social reforms.

  • |

    Alzarri Joseph responds to Darren Sammy’s selection remarks

    BRIDGETOWN: West Indies fast bowler Alzarri Joseph has responded to comments made by head coach Darren Sammy regarding his absence from the ongoing Test series against Pakistan, saying his decision was taken out of context and has created a misleading public perception. The controversy emerged after Cricket West Indies initially cited “personal reasons” for Joseph’s unavailability. However, subsequent remarks by Sammy suggested that the pacer had declined selection for the series, sparking widespread discussion among cricket fans and analysts. In a statement, Joseph clarified that his decision was based solely on his physical condition following a lengthy recovery from his second stress fracture in the back within the past year. The fast bowler explained that he had only recently returned to Test cricket and had already played two demanding Tests against Sri Lanka, followed by five consecutive One-Day Internationals against New Zealand. After that workload, he felt his body was not ready for another Test series without adequate rest. Joseph said the coach’s comments were made without presenting the full background, leading many to misunderstand his position. “I believe the remarks were incomplete and created the wrong impression among the public,” he said, stressing that his commitment to West Indies cricket remains unchanged. The 29-year-old also dismissed suggestions that he had turned his back on the national team, saying he has always been proud to represent the West Indies whenever he is physically fit. Joseph reaffirmed that he remains a professional cricketer dedicated to serving his country and its supporters. He added that his responsibility is to the West Indies team and the people of the Caribbean, not to any individual. His clarification comes as the West Indies continue their Test campaign against Pakistan, with discussions over player workload and injury management increasingly becoming an important issue in international cricket. The latest exchange has highlighted the challenges teams face in balancing player fitness with the demands of a packed international schedule.

  • | |

    Josh Duhamel breaks silence on leaving Los Angeles

    Josh Duhamel has opened up about his decision to relocate his family from Los Angeles to Minnesota, explaining that the move was driven by a desire for a slower, more meaningful way of life. Although the actor has embraced life in the Midwest, he made it clear that he has not completely walked away from Los Angeles, where much of his career continues to be based. (foxnews.com⁠) Speaking in a recent interview, Duhamel said he wanted his children to grow up surrounded by nature rather than the fast-paced environment of Hollywood. The actor explained that Minnesota offers the kind of lifestyle he always envisioned for his family, with plenty of outdoor activities, privacy and a strong sense of community. (foxnews.com⁠) The Transformers star, who shares son Axl with ex-wife Fergie and welcomed son Shepherd with wife Audra Mari in 2024, said the move has allowed his family to spend more quality time together. Instead of dealing with constant traffic and the pressures of city life, they now enjoy a quieter routine that includes fishing, hiking and spending time outdoors. (people.com⁠) Despite settling in Minnesota, Duhamel stressed that he has not completely left Los Angeles behind. He still travels to California for filming, business meetings and promotional events whenever work requires it. The actor acknowledged that Hollywood remains the center of the entertainment industry, making it impossible to sever ties completely while continuing his acting career. (people.com⁠) Duhamel also reflected on how the move has changed his perspective on success. While he remains passionate about acting, he said his priorities have shifted over the years. Today, creating lasting memories with his family matters more than chasing the nonstop pace of celebrity life. He believes the quieter surroundings have given him greater balance and allowed him to focus on what truly makes him happy. (foxnews.com⁠) The actor has long spoken about his love for Minnesota, where he owns a secluded lakeside property. Over the years, he has invested time and effort into building a peaceful retreat that reflects his appreciation for the outdoors. He described the property as a place where his family can disconnect from technology, enjoy nature and live a simpler life. (people.com⁠) Although Los Angeles will always play an important role in his professional life, Duhamel believes he has found the best of both worlds. By keeping one foot in Hollywood while raising his family in Minnesota, he has created a lifestyle that allows him to pursue his career without sacrificing the peace, privacy and family time he values most.

  • | |

    Regal Chowk to be renamed Khatm-e-Nabuwwat Chowk

    KARACHI: Karachi Mayor Barrister Murtaza Wahab has announced that Regal Chowk will officially be renamed Khatm-e-Nabuwwat (PBUH) Chowk. The decision was announced during his visit to the historic intersection along with the Municipal Commissioner and members of the City Council. The mayor said the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) would carry out extensive renovation and beautification work at the site before the start of Rabi-ul-Awwal. He said the project aims to improve the appearance of the area while reflecting the significance of the holy month. Barrister Murtaza Wahab said the city administration had already started preparations for Rabi-ul-Awwal. He added that special arrangements would be made across Karachi to facilitate religious gatherings and ensure that citizens could observe the month in a peaceful and clean environment. He said a comprehensive cleanliness campaign would be launched throughout the city. Sanitation staff would remain active in all districts to maintain hygiene around mosques, religious processions and public places. Waste collection and disposal operations would also be intensified during the month. The mayor announced that decorative lighting and beautification work would be carried out on major roads, intersections and important public buildings. He said these measures were intended to create a festive atmosphere during Rabi-ul-Awwal. He recalled that the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation had successfully managed civic arrangements during Muharram-ul-Haram. According to him, similar planning would be implemented during Rabi-ul-Awwal to provide better services to the public. Barrister Murtaza Wahab said all relevant civic departments, including sanitation, engineering, municipal services and emergency response teams, would remain on high alert throughout the holy month. He directed officials to ensure uninterrupted public services and respond promptly to any issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *