regal chowk renamed
| |

Regal Chowk to be renamed Khatm-e-Nabuwwat Chowk

KARACHI: Karachi Mayor Barrister Murtaza Wahab has announced that Regal Chowk will officially be renamed Khatm-e-Nabuwwat (PBUH) Chowk. The decision was announced during his visit to the historic intersection along with the Municipal Commissioner and members of the City Council.

The mayor said the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) would carry out extensive renovation and beautification work at the site before the start of Rabi-ul-Awwal. He said the project aims to improve the appearance of the area while reflecting the significance of the holy month.

Barrister Murtaza Wahab said the city administration had already started preparations for Rabi-ul-Awwal. He added that special arrangements would be made across Karachi to facilitate religious gatherings and ensure that citizens could observe the month in a peaceful and clean environment.

He said a comprehensive cleanliness campaign would be launched throughout the city. Sanitation staff would remain active in all districts to maintain hygiene around mosques, religious processions and public places. Waste collection and disposal operations would also be intensified during the month.

The mayor announced that decorative lighting and beautification work would be carried out on major roads, intersections and important public buildings. He said these measures were intended to create a festive atmosphere during Rabi-ul-Awwal.

He recalled that the Karachi Metropolitan Corporation had successfully managed civic arrangements during Muharram-ul-Haram. According to him, similar planning would be implemented during Rabi-ul-Awwal to provide better services to the public.

Barrister Murtaza Wahab said all relevant civic departments, including sanitation, engineering, municipal services and emergency response teams, would remain on high alert throughout the holy month. He directed officials to ensure uninterrupted public services and respond promptly to any issues.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Fire put out at Aramco’s Jazan Refinery, Saudi A…

    JAZAN: Firefighters have extinguished a blaze that erupted early Sunday at a facility within Saudi Aramco’s Jazan refinery in southwestern Saudi Arabia, with authorities confirming that no injuries were reported. The Saudi Energy Ministry said Aramco’s industrial security teams quickly brought the fire under control. Relevant authorities were subsequently working to complete procedures related to the incident. The ministry did not disclose what caused the fire or provide details about the extent of any damage. Located on the Red Sea near Saudi Arabia’s border with Yemen, the Jazan refinery has a processing capacity of around 400,000 barrels of crude oil per day. The facility produces several refined petroleum products, including gasoline and ultra-low-sulfur diesel. The latest incident comes shortly after the refinery was shut down following an attack in late July that Saudi authorities attributed to Yemen’s Houthi movement. The attack reportedly damaged parts of the refinery’s integrated gasification complex and tank storage facilities. The Houthis had previously claimed responsibility for strikes targeting Aramco facilities in Jazan and Yanbu, raising concerns over the security of Saudi energy infrastructure and shipping routes in the Red Sea. Aramco Chief Executive Amin Nasser said last week that recent attacks had caused some temporary production disruptions but expressed confidence that operations could be restored quickly. He said the incidents had not caused a significant operational or financial impact on the company. The latest fire comes amid heightened regional tensions involving Saudi Arabia, Yemen and wider disruptions affecting energy and maritime security across the Middle East.

  • |

    Modi forms task force to reform exam system

    Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a high-powered task force to reform the country’s examination system following weeks of student-led protests over alleged irregularities in major entrance exams. The announcement came a day after Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned, as the government faced growing pressure from students and opposition groups demanding changes to the examination process. Modi said the new task force would be headed by Nandan Nilekani, co-founder of technology company Infosys. The panel will focus on improving the examination system and making it more transparent, reliable and technology-driven. In a video message posted on social media, Modi said the government wanted to restore confidence in upcoming examinations as quickly as possible. He stressed that the system must ensure greater transparency and make effective use of technology. The protests had been led in large part by supporters of the social media-driven Cockroach Janta Party (CJP). Thousands of students and young people gathered at New Delhi’s Jantar Mantar over several weeks, making the demonstrations among the most significant anti-government protests in India in recent years. The movement initially focused on alleged problems and irregularities in examinations, but its demands later expanded. Protesters also raised concerns about unemployment, limited opportunities for young people and what critics described as the government’s increasingly authoritarian approach. The protest site was largely cleared on Sunday. Municipal workers washed the surrounding roads and began repainting walls covered with slogans, posters and graffiti. Some protesters criticised the decision to remove the writings, saying the messages represented an important record of the movement. Rahul, a protester who had visited the site, said demonstrators had photographed and recorded the posters and slogans before they were removed. He said they wanted the material to remain documented and remembered. Some young people who travelled long distances to participate in the demonstrations arrived after the protest had already ended. One 19-year-old participant said he had travelled for around 20 hours after seeing videos of the demonstrations on Instagram. He said he wanted to witness the atmosphere and join other young protesters. Another visitor accused the government of worsening the situation by attempting to suppress the demonstrations. He argued that the crackdown had contributed to the protests becoming larger.

  • | |

    Fakhar Zaman urges patience over PSL performers

    Pakistan opener Fakhar Zaman has urged selectors and fans not to judge players solely on one or two impressive Pakistan Super League (PSL) performances, stressing that franchise cricket is very different from the demands of international cricket. Speaking during a media interaction in Lahore, the experienced batter said consistency should remain the key criterion for national team selection. The 35-year-old noted that several young cricketers earn Pakistan call-ups after performing in only a handful of PSL matches. While he welcomed healthy competition for places in the national side, he insisted that players must prove themselves over a longer period before being considered ready for international cricket. Fakhar said: “Many youngsters break into the national side after performing in just one or two Pakistan Super League matches. If a young player is good enough to take my place in the white-ball team, they are welcome to do so tomorrow. However, they must prove their quality, consistency, and form.” The left-handed opener explained that domestic and franchise cricket cannot be compared directly with the international game. According to him, many players realise the difference only after representing Pakistan, where the level of competition and pressure is much higher. He added: “When domestic performers step into international cricket, they realize the difference is significant. Development camps like these should be held regularly. A player should not be labeled extraordinary after just one or two good PSL matches because league cricket and international cricket are very different.” Fakhar also spoke about Pakistan’s batting order, revealing that discussions had taken place with the team management. However, he made it clear that certain decisions remain internal and cannot be discussed publicly. He said: “We have discussed the batting order with the management, but some matters cannot be shared publicly. I always think about what the team needs, and that remains my priority. Every player has personal preferences, but not everything can be discussed in the media. The important thing is that we are all on the same page.” The opener emphasised that team success always comes before individual preferences. While every batter has a preferred position in the lineup, he said professional players must be willing to adapt according to the team’s requirements. Looking ahead, Fakhar also expressed confidence about Pakistan’s future assignments in South Africa. He recalled enjoying success on South African pitches in the past and believes the conditions complement his style of batting. He concluded by saying: “I have many good memories of playing in South Africa. The bouncy pitches suit my technique, and I am preparing with the 2027 World Cup firmly in mind.” Fakhar’s remarks come as Pakistan continues to evaluate its white-ball squad ahead of major international tournaments. His comments highlight the importance of balancing opportunities for emerging players with the need for consistency and experience at the highest level. While welcoming competition, the veteran opener believes sustained performances—not just a brief run of form in the PSL—should determine who earns the honour of representing Pakistan on the international stage. 

  • | | | |

    Hormuz uncertainty pushes global oil prices higher

    KARACHI: Global oil prices edged higher on Monday as uncertainty over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz continued to unsettle energy markets. Brent crude climbed by more than 1% in Asian trading, moving above $84 a barrel, while US crude prices also posted gains of over 1%. The market remains focused on the situation surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, a critical maritime route through which a significant share of the world’s oil supplies passes. Any prolonged disruption or uncertainty over shipping through the waterway could put further pressure on global energy prices. Iran has indicated that discussions with Oman on establishing alternative shipping routes are nearing completion. However, Tehran says the United States still needs to fulfil additional conditions before arrangements concerning the waterway can move forward. With the situation still unresolved, traders are closely watching developments around the Strait, with concerns over supply disruptions continuing to influence crude prices.

  • | |

    Centre, Sindh join hands to tackle marine pollutio…

    ISLAMABAD: The federal government and the Sindh administration have agreed to launch a coordinated campaign to combat marine pollution, safeguard coastal ecosystems, and promote the sustainable growth of Pakistan’s blue economy. The decision was reached during a meeting between Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Muhammad Junaid Anwar Chaudhry and Sindh Governor Kamran Tessori’s successor, Governor Nehal Hashmi, where both sides reviewed the growing environmental challenges facing the country’s coastline and discussed their impact on marine biodiversity, fisheries, coastal communities, and critical infrastructure. Speaking on the occasion, the maritime affairs minister said marine pollution had evolved into a major environmental, economic, and public health challenge. He noted that pollution was not only damaging coastal ecosystems but was also threatening livelihoods and economic activities dependent on marine resources. The minister said the Ministry of Maritime Affairs, through its Marine Pollution Control Board, was already implementing measures to address the issue and proposed a joint meeting with the Sindh government and relevant provincial departments to develop a comprehensive response. He identified the discharge of untreated sewage into the sea as one of the most serious threats to Pakistan’s marine environment, warning that the continuous release of wastewater was harming mangrove forests, fish habitats, coral ecosystems, and other sensitive coastal resources. Emphasizing the importance of environmental conservation, he said protecting marine ecosystems was essential for ensuring the long-term sustainability of the country’s blue economy. Governor Nehal Hashmi described marine pollution as a growing public health concern, particularly for residents of Karachi’s coastal communities, who face increasing health risks due to contaminated seawater. He stressed the need for stronger coordination among federal, provincial, and local authorities to improve wastewater management and prevent untreated sewage from reaching the sea. The meeting concluded with both sides agreeing to strengthen institutional coordination and jointly formulate long-term strategies aimed at reducing marine pollution, preserving coastal ecosystems, and supporting sustainable economic development through a healthier marine environment.

  • |

    West Bank village mourns lost harvest as violence halts annual fig festival

    The Palestinian village of Tel in the northern occupied West Bank should have been celebrating one of its busiest and most cherished times of the year. Residents had spent weeks preparing for the annual fig harvest and a festival expected to attract visitors from across the region. Instead, the village has been left grieving after a deadly confrontation forced organizers to cancel the event and replaced the festive atmosphere with mourning. The violence erupted after an attack involving Israeli settlers last week. The clashes that followed resulted in the deaths of four Palestinians and two Israeli settlers, leaving the community in shock. Black flags now hang where festival decorations were meant to be displayed, while many orchards remain out of reach because of an increased Israeli military presence and ongoing restrictions in the area. Tel village council head Walid Zaidan said the tragedy has deeply affected the community of around 7,000 people. According to him, the village has lost its usual energy and sense of joy after the deaths of four young residents in a single day. He said the emotional impact is visible throughout the village, where families continue to cope with grief and uncertainty. Zaidan said residents had not been seeking confrontation but were trying to protect their homes after repeated attacks by Israeli settlers. He recalled an earlier incident in which the home of a local resident, Sohaib Ramadan, was set on fire. The family managed to escape only moments before the house was completely destroyed. He said many villagers feared another similar attack and went out to defend their neighborhood when violence broke out again. The damage has extended beyond the loss of life. Zaidan said Israeli bulldozers entered farmland and cleared large sections of agricultural land. Initial estimates suggest that around 2,000 dunams, or roughly 500 acres, have been affected. Local officials have been unable to inspect the full extent of the destruction because access to the area remains restricted by Israeli forces and settlers. Residents also claim that a new settlement outpost is being established on the land. At the same time, Israeli forces have carried out arrests and questioned dozens of Palestinians in the village, adding to growing tensions. For the people of Tel, farming is more than an economic activity. Fig trees, olive groves and prickly pear plants have long been central to the village’s identity and way of life. Tel is known throughout the occupied West Bank for producing several varieties of figs, drawing visitors each harvest season to buy fresh fruit and locally made products. Plans for a three day festival featuring figs, dairy products, cheeses and other local goods were abandoned after the violence. Farmers who own nearby livestock and poultry farms have also struggled to reach their animals because roads remain blocked, raising concerns about the welfare of their livestock. Local resident Omar Ishtayeh said the village has depended on agriculture for generations, but increasing restrictions and repeated settler attacks have made farming more difficult. He said orchards that once represented prosperity now reflect the hardships facing local families. With the fig season already underway, many farmers fear the fruit will spoil before they are able to safely return to their land. Palestinian officials argue that the events in Tel are part of a wider rise in settler violence across the occupied West Bank. According to the Palestinian Colonisation and Wall Resistance Commission, thousands of attacks targeting Palestinians and their property were recorded during the first half of 2026. These incidents included assaults on civilians, arson attacks, damage to farmland, restrictions on access to agricultural areas and the expansion of settlement outposts. The United Nations considers Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories illegal under international law. Palestinians say the continued expansion of settlements is reducing hopes for the creation of an independent Palestinian state and making everyday life increasingly difficult for communities that rely on their land for survival.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *