cockroach protests end
| |

Cockroach’ protests end in stunning victory

India’s Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan resigned on Saturday after days of youth-led protests over alleged irregularities in major entrance examinations.

The resignation came as thousands of young people gathered in New Delhi and other parts of the country under the banner of the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP).

The protesters had demanded Pradhan’s removal and major reforms to the country’s examination system. They also raised wider concerns about unemployment and limited opportunities for young people.

Pradhan confirmed that he had submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In a statement, he said he was deeply concerned about the events of the previous 10 days.

He said the decision was not about personal prestige. He added that India’s youth were an important strength of the country and said efforts were needed to prevent young people from becoming trapped in uncertainty.

The announcement immediately triggered celebrations at the main protest site at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.

CJP founder Abhijeet Dipke told the cheering crowd, “We have done it.” Hundreds of protesters responded with loud applause and celebrations.

The CJP later announced that its demands had been accepted following talks with the government. It said the protests would therefore be called off.

The movement had focused on alleged irregularities in examinations, including concerns over the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). Protesters demanded greater transparency and accountability in the examination system.

They also called for compensation for people affected by examination irregularities. Another demand was the withdrawal of legal cases against protesters.

The government held two rounds of talks with CJP representatives during the week. However, the discussions initially failed to produce an agreement.

Pradhan submitted his resignation before a third round of talks was scheduled.

The protests also faced a strong response from police. Authorities used tear gas and batons when demonstrators attempted to march from Jantar Mantar towards Parliament.

The campaign gradually expanded beyond examination issues. Protesters also highlighted unemployment, lack of opportunities for young people and broader concerns about governance.

The demonstrations became one of the most significant challenges to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government since his re-election in 2024.

India’s opposition leader Rahul Gandhi also backed the protesters. He described Pradhan’s resignation as a major development and urged Modi to apologise to students and address their concerns.

Gandhi also called for action against those accused of violence against students during the demonstrations.

The resignation brought an emotional response from protesters. One 27-year-old participant who visited the protest site for the first time on Saturday described the atmosphere as highly charged, particularly after the minister’s resignation.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Pakistan continues repatriation of undocumented Af…

    Punjab authorities have stepped up action against Afghan nationals living in the province without valid documents. The Foreign National Security Cell of the Punjab Home Department is carrying out checks across the province. Officials are identifying Afghan nationals who are staying without acceptable visas. Those found to be residing illegally are being detained. They are then moved to designated holding centres before being repatriated to Afghanistan. A spokesperson for the Punjab Home Department said 2,689,295 Afghan nationals have so far been repatriated from Pakistan. The spokesperson said 140,468 undocumented Afghan nationals have been sent back from Punjab alone. Officials said the action is being carried out under the government’s existing policy. Under the policy, Afghan nationals without valid and acceptable visas are considered to be staying illegally in Pakistan. The crackdown is not limited to one area. Officials are conducting checks in residential neighbourhoods and commercial markets across Punjab. The authorities are also monitoring places where foreign nationals may be living or working. The purpose is to identify people who do not have the required legal documents. The department said detained Afghan nationals are transferred to holding centres. These facilities are being used to manage the repatriation process. There are currently 39 active holding centres across Punjab. According to the department, 188 Afghan nationals are currently staying in these centres. The provincial authorities have also directed action against people who rent properties to undocumented foreign nationals. Cases can be registered against property owners found violating the relevant rules. Officials said the enforcement drive will continue across the province. Authorities are maintaining checks in different areas as part of efforts to enforce immigration regulations.

  • |

    Idaho restaurant shooting leaves three dead

    IDAHO: A shooting at a busy fast-food restaurant in the US state of Idaho left three people dead, including the suspected gunman, and injured seven others, authorities said. The attack occurred at an In-N-Out Burger restaurant in Twin Falls on Saturday, triggering a major emergency response as police, paramedics and other first responders rushed to the scene. According to local police, the suspect opened fire inside or near the restaurant before the incident came to an end. Officials later confirmed that the gunman was among those killed. The identities of the victims have not yet been released as authorities continue notifying their families. Police Chief Matthew Hicks said officers believe there was only one attacker and assured residents that there is no ongoing threat to the community. Investigators are working to establish the motive behind the shooting and determine the sequence of events that led to the violence. Witnesses described scenes of panic as gunfire erupted. One eyewitness said he saw an armed man carrying a rifle before shots were exchanged. Restaurant employees also rushed to help injured victims, with one worker reportedly pulling a wounded woman to safety while waiting for emergency medical teams. Seven injured people were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials have not yet released updates on their conditions. Law enforcement agencies have secured the area and launched a full investigation. Detectives are examining evidence, reviewing surveillance footage and interviewing witnesses to understand what triggered the deadly attack. Public officials praised the swift response of emergency services, saying their actions helped secure the scene and prevent further casualties. Authorities have urged anyone with additional information or video footage to assist investigators as the inquiry continues.

  • | | | |

    Trump reveals why Secret Service changed his plane

    WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has confirmed that his surprise plane switch during his departure from Turkey last month was carried out on the advice of the Secret Service, amid concerns over a potential threat linked to Iran. Trump said the aircraft he had initially been expected to travel on could have faced a “greater risk,” adding that he does not trust Iran. His remarks came after reports revealed that his departure from Ankara following the NATO summit involved an elaborate security operation. According to reports, Trump publicly boarded Air Force One in front of cameras, creating the impression that he would fly out of Turkey on the presidential aircraft. However, he was later secretly transferred to a smaller C-32A military aircraft. The move was reportedly carried out using an airport catering truck to conceal his transfer. Journalists and some White House staff reportedly remained under the impression that Trump was aboard Air Force One. Reporters were also instructed to keep their window shades closed, adding to the secrecy surrounding the operation. Trump said he followed the Secret Service’s instructions when the aircraft change was made and did not challenge the security decision. The unusual operation reportedly stemmed from heightened concerns over Iranian threats against the US president. Trump’s latest comments have now confirmed key details of the previously undisclosed flight arrangement. The episode has drawn attention because of the extraordinary measures used to conceal the president’s movements. It also highlights the heightened security concerns surrounding Trump amid continuing tensions between Washington and Tehran. For a president whose movements are normally tracked closely by the media and security officials, the covert transfer from one aircraft to another remains one of the most unusual presidential travel episodes of the year.

  • | | |

    Punjab introduces new vehicle scrapping law for un…

    The Punjab government has introduced a new law for vehicle scrapping, allowing unusable and damaged vehicles to be legally disposed of through registered scrapping facilities. The move aims to regulate the disposal of old vehicles and remove unfit vehicles from roads across the province. According to reports, Punjab Governor Saleem Haider issued the Motor Vehicles Amendment Ordinance, which provides a legal framework for scrapping vehicles that are no longer fit for use. Under the new ordinance, vehicles without valid fitness certificates may also be sent for scrapping. The law includes vehicles that have been severely damaged in accidents or destroyed by fire and are considered beyond repair. The new regulations allow vehicle owners to voluntarily apply for scrapping if they no longer want to keep their vehicles. However, the process must only be completed through officially registered vehicle scrapping facilities to ensure proper disposal and prevent misuse. Officials believe the new system will help improve road safety by reducing the number of unsafe vehicles operating on roads. Old and poorly maintained vehicles can contribute to accidents, environmental pollution, and increased risks for drivers and passengers. The ordinance also introduces a more organized approach to vehicle disposal, ensuring that scrapped vehicles are handled through approved channels rather than informal methods. Registered scrapping facilities will be responsible for carrying out the process according to legal requirements. Transport experts have welcomed measures aimed at removing dangerous vehicles from circulation, saying that proper vehicle inspection and disposal systems are essential for safer roads and better environmental management. The implementation of the new law is expected to impact owners of old, damaged, and unfit vehicles across Punjab. Vehicle owners will now have a legal option to dispose of vehicles that are no longer economically repairable or safe to operate. The government is expected to issue further guidelines regarding the registration of scrapping facilities and the detailed procedure for vehicle owners in the coming days. The new vehicle scrapping ordinance represents a significant change in Punjab’s transport regulations, with authorities focusing on road safety, environmental protection, and better management of end-of-life vehicles.

  • |

    FIFA backs Gianni Infantino, apologise for World Cup privatisation plan

    RABAT: FIFA has thrown its full support behind president Gianni Infantino despite growing criticism over the now-abandoned proposal to privatise the commercial rights of the FIFA World Cup, while admitting that serious mistakes were made during the handling of the controversial plan. The governing body’s senior leadership met in Rabat, Morocco, on Wednesday to address the crisis that erupted after details of the proposal were leaked to the media. Following the meeting, FIFA issued a statement reaffirming its confidence in Infantino but also apologised to member associations for the way the process was managed. The proposed project, known as the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), aimed to create a new commercial subsidiary responsible for managing tournaments such as the FIFA World Cup and Club World Cup. FIFA estimated the venture could generate up to $4.2 billion, based on a valuation of $20 billion, while significantly increasing financial support for its 211 member associations. Under the proposal, each member nation would have received a one-time payment of $20 million in 2027, with regular funding for the 2027–2030 cycle rising from $8 million to $20 million. However, instead of winning support, the initiative sparked fierce opposition from football stakeholders worldwide. UEFA strongly criticised the plan, describing it as an opaque agreement that lacked transparency, while CONCACAF questioned Infantino’s leadership and governance. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney also publicly expressed doubts about Infantino’s ability to continue leading world football. Facing mounting pressure, Infantino withdrew the proposal last weekend, saying FIFA’s primary goal had always been to unite and strengthen the global game. In Wednesday’s statement, FIFA admitted that member associations and the FIFA Council should have been more closely involved from the outset. It also acknowledged mistakes made after the proposal became public and pledged to improve transparency in future decision-making. A formal review of the process will now be conducted, with findings expected to be presented at the next FIFA Council meeting. Officials confirmed that the FFE proposal has been permanently shelved. Later in the day, Infantino attended a Women’s Africa Cup of Nations match in Rabat alongside Moroccan football federation president Fouzi Lekjaa, one of the few senior officials to publicly support him throughout the controversy. Despite surviving the immediate crisis with the backing of FIFA’s leadership, the episode has raised fresh questions about governance, transparency and trust within world football, casting a shadow over Infantino’s bid for another term as FIFA president.

  • | |

    Pakistan turns 79, leaders call for unity, reform …

    ISLAMABAD: As Pakistan marked its 79th Independence Day on Friday, the country’s civilian and military leadership delivered a common message: the sacrifices that created Pakistan must now be matched by unity, institutional reform, economic progress and opportunities for its people. Independence Day celebrations began across the country with traditional ceremonies. A 31-gun salute was held in Islamabad, while 21-gun salutes were fired at provincial headquarters. At the mausoleum of Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah in Karachi, a change-of-guards ceremony was also held to honour the founder of Pakistan. The messages issued by President Asif Ali Zardari, Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the armed forces focused not only on Pakistan’s past but also on the challenges shaping its future. Zardari urges reforms and investment in youth In his Independence Day message, President Zardari paid tribute to the leaders of the Pakistan Movement and millions who made sacrifices for an independent homeland. He described independence as more than a historic achievement, saying each generation had a responsibility to strengthen the country and build on the work of those who came before. Reflecting on the country’s security challenges, the president said the events surrounding last year’s Marka-i-Haq had demonstrated Pakistan’s desire for peace as well as its determination to defend its sovereignty and national interests. He also paid tribute to members of the armed forces, police and law enforcement agencies who had lost their lives while protecting the country. The president stressed that Pakistan’s security was closely connected with peace in the region. He said the country would continue using diplomatic channels to encourage dialogue, reduce tensions and support regional stability. But the strongest part of his message centred on domestic development. Zardari called for economic, social and governance reforms, better education, stronger skills development and greater opportunities for young people. He said Pakistan’s youth represented the country’s greatest strength and that investment in their education and abilities would ultimately determine the nation’s future. For ordinary citizens, he noted, national progress should be visible in everyday life — through better education and healthcare, employment opportunities and greater economic security for families, farmers, workers and businesses. PM Shehbaz highlights economic progress Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif also called for national unity while highlighting what he described as economic achievements made during the past two-and-a-half years. He said Pakistan had navigated difficult circumstances and moved towards economic stability, while remittances from overseas Pakistanis had risen by $11.3 billion over two years. The prime minister identified information technology, innovation, industrial and agricultural development, employment creation, education and skills training as key priorities for the government. He also praised the armed forces for their role during Marka-i-Haq and reaffirmed Pakistan’s commitment to defending its national interests, including its water resources. Shehbaz pointed to the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement involving Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye as evidence of Pakistan’s growing strategic importance. He also reiterated Islamabad’s support for the people of occupied Kashmir and Palestine, while calling for diplomatic solutions to regional disputes. Military leadership calls for unity Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Naveed Ashraf and Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Zaheer Ahmed Baber Sidhu also issued Independence Day messages. According to ISPR, the armed forces paid tribute to Jinnah, the country’s martyrs, veterans, law enforcement personnel and citizens who had served Pakistan. The military leadership reaffirmed its commitment to defending Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, upholding the Constitution and protecting national interests. The message also stressed that Pakistan’s real strength lay in the unity and collective determination of its people. As the green and white flags filled streets, buildings and homes across the country, the leadership’s messages offered a reminder that Independence Day is not only about remembering 1947. It is also about asking what Pakistan can become in the years ahead — a country where security is matched by stability, economic growth by opportunity, and national strength by better lives for its people. The shared call from the leadership was clear: unity, discipline and meaningful reform must turn the promise of independence into progress for every Pakistani.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *