gohar rasheed criticises
| |

Gohar Rasheed criticises Aurat March posters

Actor Gohar Rasheed, known for his versatility and outspoken nature, has sparked a fresh round of public debate after sharing his views on Aurat March during a recent podcast appearance, taking particular issue with what he described as vulgar posters that appear at the annual women’s rights march.
Rasheed drew a comparison between two things he sees as similarly problematic. He said that women should not be objectified, and in that spirit, item numbers in films should not exist because they reduce women to objects. He then extended that same logic to certain placards that appear at Aurat March, arguing that some posters cross a line into vulgarity and do not represent an appropriate way to communicate ideas or demands. He said the same points could be made in a more sophisticated manner without resorting to language or imagery that he found objectionable.
The remarks touched on one of the most consistently contested topics in Pakistani public life. Aurat March, held annually on March 8 in major cities across Pakistan to mark International Women’s Day, has been a flashpoint for debate since its earliest editions. Supporters argue it is a necessary and long-overdue platform for women to voice demands around safety, equality and rights. Critics, including Rasheed, have frequently taken issue with specific posters that appear at the marches, arguing that certain slogans or images do not reflect the broader values of Pakistani society.
The response online was immediate and divided, as it tends to be whenever the march becomes the subject of public commentary.
Some users agreed with Rasheed. One person wrote: “He is right. Now Aurat Marchers will go against him,” anticipating the backlash while expressing support for the sentiment.
Others pushed back sharply. One commenter wrote: “I wish he was this offended by violence against women and child rape,” arguing that the energy directed at posters would be better channelled toward the far graver issues women face daily. Another said: “Three men mansplaining what women should do or not do,” pointing to the irony of male voices deciding what is and is not an appropriate mode of feminist expression.
The division in the comments reflects the genuine complexity of the debate. For those who support Aurat March unconditionally, the criticism of posters is a distraction from the march’s core purpose and represents the kind of policing of women’s expression that the march itself is pushing back against. For those who share Rasheed’s view, the concern is that certain forms of communication within the march alienate potential allies and hand critics easy ammunition to dismiss the broader cause.
What is clear from the reaction is that this is a conversation Pakistan has not finished having, and that every public voice that enters it, whether from the entertainment industry or elsewhere, adds another layer to a debate that touches on deeply held values about gender, expression and what it means to advocate for change.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Pakistan car sales jump 141% in July

    ISLAMABAD: Car sales in Pakistan recorded a strong increase in July 2026. Sales rose by 141.28% compared with the same month last year. According to data released by the Pakistan Automotive Manufacturers Association (PAMA), manufacturers sold 17,216 vehicles in July 2026. The figure was significantly higher than the sales recorded in July 2025. A total of 7,135 vehicles were sold during that month. The latest figures show that vehicle demand improved sharply at the beginning of the new financial year. The increase also indicates stronger activity in Pakistan’s automobile market. The year-on-year rise was recorded despite continued challenges facing the automobile sector. Higher vehicle prices and financing costs have affected the market in recent years. The latest sales figures, however, show a notable recovery in demand. Industry data also showed an increase in electric vehicle sales during July. The growth points to rising interest in electric vehicles in the local market. The increase in electric vehicle sales could also reflect changing consumer preferences. Buyers are gradually showing greater interest in newer and more fuel-efficient technologies. Automobile manufacturers and dealers are expected to closely monitor the trend in coming months. Sustained growth in sales could provide a positive signal for the broader automotive industry.

  • |

    Italy faces growing childhood obesity crisis as diets change

    Italy is confronting a growing childhood obesity problem as traditional Mediterranean eating habits are increasingly replaced by calorie-heavy and highly processed foods. The issue is particularly serious in southern Italy. In parts of the Campania region, more than 40% of children aged eight and nine are reported to be overweight. Naples and surrounding communities have become major areas of concern for health professionals. Doctors say they are seeing increasingly younger patients with severe obesity. At a hospital in Naples, specialists who once mainly treated adults are now treating teenagers with serious weight-related problems. In severe cases, patients may require bariatric surgery to reduce the size of the stomach. However, doctors say some teenagers are now arriving at weights that make such procedures too risky. Some are first given medical treatment to help control appetite and lose enough weight to undergo surgery safely. Health experts point to major changes in Italian eating habits as one factor behind the trend. The traditional Mediterranean diet, built around vegetables, legumes, whole grains, olive oil and fish, is becoming less common. Instead, children are increasingly exposed to processed snacks, sugary drinks, refined carbohydrates and calorie-dense foods. Experts say the problem is not necessarily one particular meal but the cumulative effect of frequent snacking and poor diet quality. Doctors also say many parents struggle to recognise when their children are overweight. In some communities, a heavier child may traditionally be viewed as healthy or well-fed, making it harder for families to identify a potential health problem early. Physical activity can also be difficult for some children. Many schools operate in historic buildings that were not designed to provide adequate space for modern sports and exercise. Authorities are now attempting to address the problem through schools and community programmes. A regional initiative in Campania plans to involve more than 17,000 students across 25 schools in nutrition education and healthy lifestyle programmes, with families also receiving guidance. Italy has also taken a broader approach to obesity. In 2025, it became the first country to introduce a national law recognising obesity as a chronic, progressive and relapsing disease. Campania is also being used to test new approaches, including a controlled “fast-mimicking” diet for overweight adolescents. Researchers hope the programme could improve metabolic health, although some paediatric specialists have raised concerns about the limited evidence and possible psychological effects of restrictive diets on young people. Health experts stress that tackling childhood obesity will require more than simply telling children to eat less or exercise more. Families, schools, healthcare providers and policymakers all have a role in changing the environment around young people.

  • |

    Shah Rukh Khan, Ajay Devgn and Tiger Shroff face notice over pan Masala advertisement

      The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of India’s Maharashtra state has issued notices to Bollywood actors Shah Rukh Khan, Ajay Devgn and Tiger Shroff over their appearance as brand ambassadors in an advertisement for a cardamom product. The regulatory authority has sought written explanations from the three actors, alleging that the advertisement, although presented as a promotion for cardamom, appears to indirectly promote pan masala, which is banned in Maharashtra. According to the Maharashtra FDA, the advertisement is being presented as a campaign for cardamom, but its branding and promotional content allegedly amount to an indirect advertisement for a prohibited pan masala product. The authority has raised concerns under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which regulates the advertising and promotion of food-related products and seeks to prevent misleading promotional practices. The notices issued to Shah Rukh Khan, Ajay Devgn and Tiger Shroff direct the actors to submit their written responses within 15 days. The FDA has asked them to explain their involvement in the promotional campaign and clarify their position regarding the advertisement. The authority has also directed the three actors to immediately stop promoting the campaign. In addition, they have reportedly been instructed to remove all related promotional material from their respective social media accounts. This includes content connected with the advertisement that may continue to promote or publicise the product. The action comes amid continued regulatory scrutiny of surrogate advertising in India. Surrogate advertising refers to a practice in which a company promotes a product or brand associated with a restricted or prohibited item by advertising another product under a similar name, branding or identity. Such campaigns can allow companies to maintain visibility for products that cannot legally be advertised directly. Pan masala and related tobacco products have remained the subject of health and regulatory concerns in India because of their association with serious health risks. Several states have imposed restrictions or bans on particular products and their sale, manufacture or promotion. The involvement of prominent Bollywood celebrities has added further attention to the issue. Shah Rukh Khan, Ajay Devgn and Tiger Shroff are among India’s widely recognised actors, and their participation in commercial campaigns can give brands significant public visibility, particularly through television, digital platforms and social media. The Maharashtra FDA has warned that failure to provide a satisfactory explanation within the specified 15-day period could lead to further legal action against the actors. The authority is expected to examine their responses before deciding what action, if any, should follow. The notices highlight the growing responsibility placed on celebrities who endorse consumer products. Regulators have increasingly emphasised that public figures should exercise caution when promoting products, particularly where advertising may potentially violate food safety regulations or restrictions on prohibited products. For now, the three actors have been given an opportunity to respond to the allegations. Any further action will depend on the explanations submitted to the Maharashtra FDA and the authority’s assessment of whether the advertisement violated applicable laws.

  • |

    Tipu Usman seeks closer media engagement to strengthen Pakistan’s UK diaspora outreach

    LONDON: Pakistan’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Tipu Usman, has called for closer engagement with Pakistani media in the UK to strengthen outreach to the Pakistani diaspora and ensure the community remains informed about initiatives and reforms aimed at facilitating overseas Pakistanis. The High Commissioner made the remarks during an introductory meeting with representatives of Pakistani media houses working in London. Tipu Usman appreciated the positive role played by Pakistani media in the UK during Marka-e-Haq, particularly its contribution to keeping the Pakistani diaspora informed about important national developments and issues affecting the community. He said the Pakistan High Commission in London remained committed to working closely with Pakistani media representatives to enhance outreach and effectively communicate initiatives and reforms that would facilitate members of the Pakistani diaspora across the UK. The High Commissioner stressed the importance of effective communication and engagement with the Pakistani community, saying the media could play an important role in ensuring that information about government initiatives and services reaches overseas Pakistanis in a timely and effective manner. The representatives of Pakistani media houses welcomed Tipu Usman on assuming his responsibilities as Pakistan’s High Commissioner to the UK and conveyed their best wishes for his tenure. During the interactive session, media representatives shared various suggestions aimed at improving the High Commission’s outreach to the Pakistani diaspora and strengthening efforts for the welfare of the Pakistani community residing across the United Kingdom. The participants discussed the importance of maintaining regular engagement between the High Commission and Pakistani media to improve communication with the community and provide greater awareness of initiatives, services and reforms relevant to overseas Pakistanis. The meeting provided an opportunity for an open exchange of views on ways to further strengthen coordination between the Pakistan High Commission, Pakistani media and the wider Pakistani diaspora in the UK. The High Commissioner welcomed the suggestions put forward by the media representatives and reaffirmed the High Commission’s readiness to work collaboratively with the media for more effective engagement with the Pakistani community across Britain.

  • |

    Nicole Kidman opens up on facing an ‘unknown’ future post-divorce

    Nicole Kidman is opening up about the emotional aftermath of her divorce from Keith Urban. She admitted the split has left her feeling both fearful and vulnerable, while also teaching her something valuable. During a new British Vogue cover interview published Thursday, August 13, the 59-year-old reflected on choosing to prioritise her feelings, both personally and professionally. She said her goal isn’t to let logic completely take over her decisions. Kidman explained that she never expected this outcome and had a very different picture of how her life would unfold. She acknowledged simply having to accept where things stand now instead. She said people naturally build plans and expectations for the future, only for life to take a different turn. According to Kidman, adjusting and adapting to that shift becomes necessary once it happens. She was candid about not knowing what lies ahead for her at this point. Kidman described her future as completely unknown right now, admitting that uncertainty comes with real emotional weight. Looking back, the actress admitted she’d once felt very fearful and deeply vulnerable during parts of this process. She described that vulnerability as something that left her feeling exposed. Kidman explained that she was left with essentially two choices when facing that fear. She said she could either avoid confronting it entirely or move forward carrying a strong sense of hope instead. She appears to have chosen the latter, framing her outlook with cautious optimism despite the uncertainty. Her comments offer a rare, personal glimpse into how she’s processing this major life change. Kidman and Urban married in June 2006 in Sydney and share two daughters, Sunday Rose and Faith Margaret. The couple reportedly separated in late 2025 before finalising their divorce in January 2026, citing irreconcilable differences after 19 years together. Since the split, Kidman has remained largely private about the details, offering only limited public reflections. This latest interview marks one of her most candid discussions yet about navigating life after the marriage’s end.

  • |

    Houthis deny reports of Red Sea transit fees

    Yemen’s Houthi movement has rejected reports claiming it plans to charge commercial vessels for passing through the Red Sea, insisting that navigation through the strategic waterway remains free. In a statement issued by the Houthi-run Humanitarian Operations Coordination Center (HOCC), the group said its safe transit service for ships using the Bab al-Mandeb Strait is voluntary and does not involve any fees. It emphasized that no authorized Houthi body is collecting payments from shipping companies. The HOCC also warned shipping operators against making payments or sharing sensitive information with unauthorized individuals or organizations claiming to represent the group. It said any such demands are fraudulent and should not be recognized as official. The clarification came after recent reports suggested that the Houthis were considering introducing transit charges for vessels passing through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait. The reports claimed the proposal had been discussed during meetings with Iranian officials and that plans were being explored to establish a system for regulating such payments. The Bab al-Mandeb Strait is one of the world’s most important maritime routes, linking the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden. Thousands of commercial vessels carrying oil, fuel and other goods use the passage every year, making it a vital corridor for global trade between Asia, Europe and the Middle East. Security concerns in the Red Sea have remained high since attacks on commercial shipping began in late 2023. The conflict significantly disrupted international shipping, forcing many companies to divert vessels to longer and more expensive routes around southern Africa. Although attacks temporarily declined following a ceasefire last year, commercial traffic through the region has yet to return to previous levels. Shipping companies continue to monitor the security situation closely before routing vessels through the area. The latest reports have also prompted regional efforts to strengthen maritime security. Saudi Arabia recently announced a multinational maritime coalition aimed at protecting freedom of navigation in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *