jeff hiller earns
| |

Jeff Hiller earns Emmy nod and unexpected ChatGPT comparisons

Actor Jeff Hiller has earned his second career Emmy nomination for a performance that lasted just seven minutes, but it is the unexpected comparison to ChatGPT that has amused him the most.
Hiller received a nomination for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series for his appearance as Larry in Apple TV+’s science-fiction drama Pluribus. The actor recently addressed the reaction during an appearance on The Daily Show, where he admitted he never expected viewers to compare his character to artificial intelligence.
“I’ve heard this. A lot of people have said, ‘You’re just like ChatGPT,’” Hiller said while discussing audience reactions to his role.
Reflecting on his performance, he joked that his original intention had been very different from how viewers interpreted it.
“I was trying to convey extreme love for her. And instead, I did ChatGPT. Anyway, I got an Emmy nomination for it. Sometimes you aim for one target, you hit another,” he said.
In Pluribus, created by Vince Gilligan, Hiller portrays Larry, a cheerful biker who shares a memorable conversation with Carol, played by Rhea Seehorn, in the fourth episode of the series.
The show is set in a world where a mysterious virus has transformed most of humanity into a blissfully content hive mind. Carol is among the few people who remain unaffected, and her interaction with Larry becomes one of the episode’s defining moments.
The scene, in which Carol questions Larry about the intentions of the hive mind, ultimately earned Hiller widespread praise and an Emmy nomination despite his limited screen time.
Speaking about his chances of winning at this year’s ceremony, Hiller remained characteristically humorous.
“I’m not gonna win,” he joked before revealing the acceptance speech he believes would fit the unusual journey of his performance.
“Suck it!” he quipped, laughing at the idea that his role had resonated with audiences in such an unexpected way.
The nomination marks another milestone in Hiller’s career. It is his second Emmy nomination in two years, following his success for portraying Joel in the final season of HBO’s critically acclaimed comedy Somebody Somewhere.
Since then, Hiller has continued to build an impressive television résumé with guest appearances in series including Elsbeth, Ghosts and Widow’s Bay, further establishing himself as one of television’s most dependable character actors.
His latest recognition also highlights the impact a brief but memorable performance can have, with just seven minutes on screen proving enough to leave a lasting impression on both viewers and Emmy voters.
The 77th Primetime Emmy Awards nominees were announced earlier this month, with Hiller among the contenders in the guest actor drama category. The ceremony will honour the year’s best performances across television.
While Hiller insists he is not expecting to take home another Emmy trophy, his humorous response to being compared with ChatGPT has become one of the lighter moments of this year’s awards season, showing that even an unconventional audience reaction can become part of an actor’s success story.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Bigg Boss season 20 goes multilingual, confirms September premiere

    South Asia’s biggest reality TV franchise is making a comeback, and this time, the scale is unprecedented. JioHotstar and Colors TV confirmed on Tuesday that Bigg Boss is returning for its 20th season. They also revealed a new motion logo with a redesigned, multi-coloured eye, marking two decades of the show. The announcement clip kept things minimal, closing simply with “Bigg Boss coming soon.” The accompanying caption leaned into the show’s long run, calling it “still the most eye-conic one” two decades in, and promising the new season, “jald aa raha hai”. A specific premiere date has not been locked in yet. That, however, has not stopped fans from flooding social media with reactions. Comments ranged from pure excitement to specific demands, with several users asking producers to cast genuinely interesting contestants this time, rather than the same recycled reality-TV faces. The bigger story here, though, is the format shift. For the first time, JioStar will roll out six language editions simultaneously including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, and Bangla, all launching together across JioStar’s television network and its streaming platform, JioHotstar. It is a scale of rollout the show has never attempted before, effectively turning Bigg Boss into a pan-regional television event rather than a single-language phenomenon. Each regional edition will have its own celebrity host. Salman Khan continues his long-standing role anchoring the Hindi season, while the other editions bring in heavyweight names from their respective industries. Sourav Ganguly will front the Bangla version, Vijay Sethupathi takes charge of the Tamil edition, Nagarjuna leads the Telugu season, Kichcha Sudeepa hosts the Kannada edition, and Mohanlal fronts the Malayalam version. No official contestant list has been released, but speculations are already running wild online. Names being floated as possible participants include Jannat Zubair, Urfi Javed, Faisal Shaikh, Anjali Arora, Arbaz Patel, and rapper Santy Sharma, though none of this has been confirmed by the makers. With six simultaneous editions, a starry roster of hosts, and a September launch window, Bigg Boss Season 20 is shaping up to be the franchise’s most ambitious outing yet.

  • | |

    Talal Chaudhry hits back at Bilawal over AJK polls

    Islamabad: Minister of State for Interior Talal Chaudhry has criticized PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari over his reaction to the Azad Jammu and Kashmir elections, saying political leaders should accept electoral outcomes with grace instead of complaining after defeat. Speaking at the PML-N’s election review meeting for Poonch Division, Chaudhry said the party’s victories in the first two phases of the AJK local elections reflect the confidence Kashmiris have in the performance of the federal and Punjab governments. He claimed voters supported the PML-N because of its governance and development record, adding that people across Pakistan aspire to the same level of progress achieved in Punjab. The meeting was attended by district and constituency coordinators, along with PML-N candidates from Poonch Division, where party leaders also reviewed campaign preparations and polling strategy for the third phase of the elections.

  • | |

    Fake arms licence racket busted in KP, two arreste…

    Police have uncovered a fake arms licence racket in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, exposing an illegal network that allegedly produced forged weapon licences from a house. Authorities believe the operation had been running through a well-organised system and involved both private individuals and a government employee. According to police, the suspects were preparing counterfeit arms licences using computer equipment and printing materials inside a residential property. Investigators said each fake licence was sold for amounts ranging from Rs80,000 to Rs250,000, depending on the type of licence and the customer’s requirements. Police said an employee of the Home Department’s Licence Branch has also been found involved in the case. His alleged role is being investigated to determine how official records or procedures may have been misused. A case has been registered, and two suspects have been arrested during the operation. Police carried out a raid and seized a large quantity of equipment allegedly used to manufacture the fake licences. The recovered items include a laptop, a printer, ink bottles, around 700 licence cards, and other materials believed to have been used for printing forged documents. Investigators are examining the seized equipment to identify additional suspects and uncover the full scale of the operation. Police have also written to the Home Department, requesting assistance in the investigation. Officials are expected to examine departmental records to determine whether more employees were involved or if official data was misused. Sources in the Home Department said a committee will be formed to conduct a detailed inquiry into the incident. The committee will investigate the role of all individuals linked to the case and recommend legal and departmental action where necessary. CCPO Dr Mian Saeed said the investigation is progressing and that authorities are determined to bring everyone involved to justice. He said strict action will be taken against all suspects, including any government officials found responsible. He added that no official involved in the fake arms licence racket would be given any leniency, and the investigation would continue until the entire network is exposed.

  • |

    William ‘will never forgive’ Harry, say friends of the prince

    Prince William remains entirely focused on his wife Kate Middleton and their children, according to friends of the Prince of Wales. They claim Harry has effectively become a closed chapter for him. Royal expert Phil Dampier told the Daily Mail that William and Harry managed to set aside their differences five years ago for the unveiling of their mother Princess Diana’s statue. However, he said the relationship between the brothers has since deteriorated significantly further. Dampier suggested that even honouring Diana’s memory might not be enough to bring the two together again. He pointed out that next year marks the 30th anniversary of Diana’s death, which would seem like a natural moment for the brothers to attempt reconciliation. Despite that symbolic opportunity, Dampier said he does not believe William is genuinely interested in pursuing it. According to him, William’s heart simply isn’t in making that effort right now. Citing people close to the Prince of Wales, Dampier said Harry has essentially become part of William’s past. He explained that William’s attention is now firmly focused on his wife Catherine and their three children, George, Charlotte and Louis. The royal expert went further, suggesting William may never fully forgive his brother. According to Dampier, this isn’t only about Harry stepping away from royal duties, but also about the personal details he later shared publicly. He specifically referenced Harry’s memoir “Spare,” his Netflix docuseries, and his joint interview with Oprah Winfrey. Dampier said these projects left a lasting impact on how William views his brother. He added that comments made during that period led to Catherine being unfairly labelled a racist by some critics. According to Dampier, that particular fallout is something William is unlikely to ever forget. The remarks add to a growing body of commentary suggesting the rift between the two brothers has hardened rather than eased over time. With next year’s anniversary approaching, royal watchers will likely continue speculating over whether any reconciliation attempt materialises, even as insiders suggest William currently has little appetite for one.

  • | |

    PTI welcomes SC order for Imran Khan’s hospital …

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) has welcomed the Supreme Court’s order directing the transfer of party founder Imran Khan to Shifa International Hospital for medical treatment. The party described the decision as an important step toward protecting Imran’s health and ensuring his constitutional and legal rights. PTI also welcomed the court’s direction allowing him to meet his family once a week. According to the court’s order, Imran will be shifted to the hospital for treatment for the next few days. A medical board will examine him and assess his condition. The board will include specialists in eye care, general medicine and cardiology. PTI said the involvement of Imran’s personal physician, Dr Faisal Sultan, and his sister, Dr Uzma Khan, would help ensure a comprehensive review of his medical history and current condition. The party said concerns over Imran’s health had increased in recent weeks. It maintained that he should receive treatment under the supervision of specialist doctors and have access to his personal physicians. PTI also appealed to its workers and supporters not to gather outside Shifa International Hospital after Imran’s transfer. The party urged them to maintain a peaceful environment and cooperate with authorities so the court’s directions could be implemented without disruption. Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi also welcomed the Supreme Court decision. He said the order for Imran’s hospital transfer and weekly family meetings should be implemented without delay. Afridi said PTI had repeatedly demanded medical treatment and examinations under the supervision of Imran’s personal doctors. He argued that the decision should have been taken earlier but said the party would respect the court’s directions. Former National Assembly speaker Asad Qaiser described the ruling as an important development for Imran’s fundamental, constitutional and legal rights. He called for the decision to be implemented fully and without delay. PTI Secretary General Salman Akram Raja said obtaining reliable information about Imran’s health and ensuring his recovery remained the party’s primary concern. He also reminded supporters of the commitment given to the Supreme Court that workers would not gather outside the hospital. PTI Chairman Barrister Gohar Ali Khan similarly urged the government to implement the order. Speaking outside Parliament, he said Imran had spent a prolonged period in detention and should now receive the medical care ordered by the court. Former federal minister Asad Umar also welcomed the ruling while questioning why similar action had not been taken earlier. He referred to previous concerns over Imran’s eyesight and said the decision was better late than never. Imran’s international affairs adviser, Zulfikar Bukhari, also welcomed the development, saying that when courts perform their constitutional role, the country benefits. He expressed hope that there would be no unnecessary obstacles to implementation. Tehreek Tahaffuz-e-Ayin-e-Pakistan chief and opposition leader Mahmood Khan Achakzai also backed the ruling. He said prisoners, regardless of the charges against them, retain basic rights to medical treatment, family contact and legal representation. The Supreme Court’s decision followed reports concerning Imran’s health and recommendations for increased contact with his immediate family. A medical board and the Adiala Jail superintendent had earlier submitted reports to the court regarding his condition and access to family members and doctors. A three-member Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Shahid Waheed heard matters relating to Imran’s access to his sisters, personal physicians and medical records. The court directed that Dr Faisal Sultan be allowed to examine Imran and ordered the formation of the new medical board. Dr Uzma Khan will also be associated with the board. The court further directed Imran’s family to bear the cost of his treatment at the hospital. It also ordered that his family and lawyers refrain from sharing his medical reports with the media. Justice Naeem Akhtar Afghan directed that Imran’s medical report be kept confidential.

  • | |

    FCC to hear PTI ‘Release Force’ and May 9 case…

    The Federal Constitutional Court (FCC) has fixed July 29 for hearing two important petitions linked to Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder Imran Khan. The hearings come at a time when PTI is preparing to launch a nationwide campaign demanding the release of its founding chairman. A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Aminuddin Khan will hear a petition challenging the proposed formation of what has been described as the “Imran Khan Release Force.” On the same day, the bench will also hear another petition concerning the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government’s decision to withdraw selected criminal cases related to the May 9, 2023 violence. The first constitutional petition argues that the formation or mobilisation of any organisation under the title of the “Imran Khan Release Force” would be unconstitutional and contrary to Pakistani law. The petitioner has requested the court to declare such an organisation illegal, arguing that private forces or militias are prohibited under the Constitution and relevant legislation. The petition also states that citizens and public office holders are constitutionally bound to remain loyal to the state and act within the framework of the law. It argues that any attempt to organise a private force would violate constitutional principles and existing legal provisions. The issue first came before the court after public statements were made earlier this year regarding the creation of a movement aimed at securing Imran Khan’s release. At that time, the court sought a response from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister. The matter has now been scheduled for detailed hearing after several months. However, some legal experts have disputed the interpretation presented in the petition. They argue that the term “Release Force” refers to a political campaign or public movement seeking Imran Khan’s release rather than the creation of any armed organisation. According to their view, there is no proposal to establish a private militia, and the movement has no official connection with the provincial government. The same bench will also hear a petition filed by the Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation (PBC) concerning the attack on Radio Pakistan Peshawar during the May 9 unrest. The petition requests that the criminal case be transferred from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to an anti-terrorism court in Islamabad or another province to ensure an impartial trial. The petitioner argues that political influence and executive interference could affect the fairness of judicial proceedings if the case continues within the province. Earlier, the Federal Constitutional Court issued an interim order preventing the withdrawal of certain May 9-related cases while the matter remains under consideration. Officials from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Law Department have questioned that interim order. They maintain that the provincial government had not yet filed any formal application before the anti-terrorism court seeking withdrawal of cases. According to provincial authorities, the cabinet had only approved the withdrawal of cases considered politically motivated or those lacking sufficient evidence. Provincial officials have stated that 23 out of 29 terrorism-related cases linked to the May 9 incidents have already been decided. They also said that 285 of the 319 cases registered in ordinary courts have been concluded, while the remaining cases are still under trial.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *