mayor shot dead
|

Mayor shot dead inside town hall in Central Mexico

Valentín Lavín Romero, the mayor of Temoac in the central Mexican state of Morelos, was shot dead on Wednesday inside the municipal government headquarters. The politician, affiliated with the Green Party, an ally of the ruling Morena party, was targeted in broad daylight when armed hitmen entered the town hall before escaping on a motorcycle.

The fatal attack came six months after Lavín Romero survived a previous attempt on his life in late January, when gunmen opened fire on his vehicle at a highway petrol station.

His assassination marks the 14th murder of a mayor in Mexico since President Claudia Sheinbaum took office in October 2024, highlighting the persistent vulnerability of municipal officials in regions contested by organised crime networks.

Prior to his death, Lavín Romero faced intense local scrutiny and threats. In May, a criminal group left a warning banner in the town center accusing him of protecting rival syndicates.

He was also under pressure from community activists who demanded investigations into his alleged links to the homicides of two local campaigners.

The state prosecutor’s office confirmed that initial forensic investigations are underway at the crime scene, though no suspects or official motives have yet been formally identified.

The killing coincides with broader federal anti-corruption drives under Operation Swarm, which targets collusion between municipal administration members and regional cartels across multiple states.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Another promise fulfilled’: PM Shehbaz unveils m…

    Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday announced a comprehensive package of reforms aimed at modernising consular services for overseas Pakistanis, with government officials describing the measures as the fulfilment of another commitment made to the Pakistani diaspora. The new initiatives are designed to make consular services faster, more transparent and more accessible through digitalisation and streamlined procedures. The reforms include QR code-based complaint registration at Pakistani embassies, a simplified attestation process for Power of Attorney and property-related documents, a one-step Apostille attestation system, an evening shift at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Islamabad, and a courier-based document attestation service. The government is also integrating the databases of the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Inter Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC), NADRA and the National Police Bureau to speed up document verification. In addition, a mobile application is being developed to enable digital verification of birth, death, marriage and family registration certificates, along with other official documents. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said overseas Pakistanis are a valuable national asset and reiterated his government’s commitment to providing efficient, transparent and citizen-friendly services for Pakistanis living abroad. The reforms were welcomed by overseas Pakistanis, many of whom said the initiatives would help reduce delays and simplify access to essential consular services.

  • |

    Chris Brown responds to Lionel Richie’s jail joke

    Chris Brown has responded to Lionel Richie after the legendary singer made a light-hearted joke about Brown and Usher’s ongoing R&B tour. Richie recently addressed the pair’s “The R&B Tour” while performing with Earth, Wind & Fire. During a break between songs at the Mortgage Matchup Center, the 77-year-old singer pointed out that Usher and Brown were attempting to bring something new to the R&B touring scene. “Usher, Chris Brown… see, they trying to do something new,” Richie told the crowd. However, he quickly reminded fans that artists from his generation had already created similar large-scale R&B performances decades ago. Referring to his time with the Commodores and Earth, Wind & Fire, Richie said they had been doing the same thing around 40 years earlier. He then added a cheeky remark that quickly caught the attention of social media users. “Only difference is, between then and now, we didn’t go to jail!” Richie joked. The comment drew laughter from the audience, while Richie appeared to realise that the joke could be taken seriously. He immediately softened his remarks, saying that they were “fine Christian men.” The clip of Richie’s comments soon went viral online, prompting Brown to respond directly. Rather than appearing offended by the veteran singer’s joke, Brown joined in on the humour. Commenting on a video of the incident, the singer wrote, “damn unk. We love ya paw paw,” accompanied by laughing emojis. His response suggested that he understood Richie’s comments as playful banter rather than a serious criticism. Richie’s joke comes at a time when Brown has faced renewed legal attention. The singer is reportedly seeking a retrial in a dog attack case in which he was ordered to pay millions of dollars in damages to a former housekeeper following an alleged incident involving his dog. Brown also recently pleaded guilty to affray over a 2023 nightclub incident in London involving music producer Abraham Diaw. Brown and his vocal coach, Omololu Akinlolu, who was also charged in connection with the case, are expected to be sentenced in October 2026. Meanwhile, Brown and Usher continue their major “The R&B Tour,” which features 33 stadium dates across North America. The tour began in June and has brought together two of R&B’s biggest modern stars for a series of highly anticipated performances. Usher has previously framed the tour as a celebration of R&B and its ability to fill major stadiums, rather than a competition between the two headliners. Richie’s comments therefore appear to have been more of a playful reminder of R&B’s long history than a serious criticism of Brown and Usher. Brown’s relaxed response also showed that he was willing to take the joke in good spirits.

  • |

    Lebanese PM vows efforts to secure full Israeli withdrawal

    Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has said the government will continue working through diplomatic and political channels to secure a complete Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon. His remarks came during a visit to the village of Zawtar al Gharbiyah where the Lebanese army has recently expanded its deployment following a new security agreement aimed at reducing tensions along the border. Speaking to residents and military personnel, Salam said Lebanon remains committed to restoring full control over all its territory. He stressed that the government would continue its efforts to ensure Israeli forces leave the remaining occupied areas in the south while supporting the Lebanese army as it strengthens its presence in the region. The prime minister’s visit followed talks between Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and US President Donald Trump at the White House. During the meeting, Aoun urged the United States to support Lebanon’s demand for a complete Israeli withdrawal from its territory as part of ongoing efforts to stabilise the border. Last month, Lebanon and Israel agreed to a US backed framework under which the Lebanese army would gradually deploy in designated areas while Israeli troops would withdraw from selected locations. The agreement also calls for the Lebanese military to take responsibility for disarming Hezbollah in those zones. Hezbollah has rejected the deal and insists it will not surrender its weapons. Tensions remain high despite the agreement. Lebanon’s army said Israeli forces opened fire near soldiers who were deploying in Zawtar al Gharbiyah on Tuesday. The Israeli military responded by saying its troops fired warning shots after Lebanese soldiers entered an area outside the agreed deployment zone. The border region has remained unstable since Hezbollah entered the regional conflict by launching attacks against Israel in support of Iran earlier this year. Israel responded with large scale airstrikes and a ground offensive that caused widespread destruction across southern Lebanon. Although violence has eased following recent diplomatic agreements, occasional military exchanges continue. During his visit, Salam raised the Lebanese flag in the village and promised that the government would focus on rebuilding damaged communities. He said authorities would work alongside the army to reopen roads, clear rubble, restore essential public services, and create conditions that allow displaced residents to return home safely. Many local residents gathered near the village hoping to receive permission to inspect their homes after months of conflict. Some expressed relief over the arrival of the Lebanese army, saying its presence gave them confidence that life could gradually return to normal. However, military officials advised civilians to wait until security operations in the area are completed before returning. The army is currently conducting security sweeps in villages close to Israeli controlled positions to ensure the areas are safe for returning residents. Officials say these operations are necessary because of the continued risk of military activity near the border. Meanwhile, Lebanon’s state news agency reported additional Israeli drone strikes and artillery shelling in nearby areas on Wednesday. It also said Israeli troops entered the Dubieh area near the border town of Shaqra and raised an Israeli flag over the historic Dubieh Castle. Lebanese Culture Minister Ghassan Salame strongly criticised the move, describing it as a provocative action that violates Lebanon’s sovereignty. He said the government remains committed to regaining control over all historic sites and national territory in the south. The latest incident follows Israel’s seizure of the historic Beaufort Castle in May. International attention has also turned to the condition of several historic castles in southern Lebanon. The United Nations is expected to consider adding five of these sites, including Beaufort Castle and Dubieh Castle, to its list of cultural landmarks at risk due to ongoing conflict. Lebanese officials hope international support will help protect these important heritage sites while diplomatic efforts continue to prevent further escalation along the border.

  • |

    Viral 1970s PTV clip reignites debate over changing TV standards

    A vintage clip from a 1970s Pakistan Television (PTV) drama has gone viral on social media, reigniting conversations about how the country’s television industry and cultural standards have changed over the decades. PTV, Pakistan’s oldest television network, first went on air in November 1964 and quickly became known for producing memorable dramas, educational programs, and family-oriented entertainment. Many of its productions from the 1960s and 1970s are still remembered for their strong storytelling, talented actors, and high production quality. Over the years, however, the broadcaster’s programming evolved alongside Pakistan’s changing political and social landscape. The recently resurfaced clip is from the classic PTV play Parchaiyaan. In the scene, several female characters are seen wearing elegant sarees paired with sleeveless blouses, a fashion choice that has caught many younger viewers by surprise. The attire, which reflected the style of that era, has sparked widespread discussion online, with many people saying such costumes would be unlikely to appear on mainstream Pakistani television today. The video quickly gained traction across social media platforms, where users compared the fashion and creative freedom of the 1970s with modern television standards. Many viewers expressed surprise that such scenes were once broadcast on the country’s state-owned television network. Some social media users described the clip as evidence that Pakistani television once embraced a more modern and progressive visual style. Others questioned whether the footage was authentic, with one user asking if it had really aired on PTV. Another remarked that the television industry of the time appeared far more liberal than many people assume today. Not everyone viewed the clip positively. Some users argued that the clothing shown in the scene was too revealing by today’s standards, while others said the discussion highlighted how cultural expectations and public attitudes have shifted over the decades. Several viewers, however, praised the actresses featured in the clip for carrying the traditional outfits with grace and elegance. One user admired the woman dressed in a black saree, saying she wore the outfit confidently despite the short-sleeved blouse. Others pointed out that sarees were a common part of formal fashion in Pakistan during that period, particularly among urban families and in television productions. The viral discussion has also revived broader conversations about the evolution of Pakistan’s entertainment industry. Many users reflected on how television content has changed over time due to shifting social values, cultural preferences, and broadcasting policies. Some believe earlier productions offered greater artistic freedom, while others argue that changing audience expectations naturally influenced the direction of television programming. As the clip continues to circulate online, it serves as a reminder of how fashion, media, and public opinion evolve across generations. Whether viewed as a symbol of artistic expression or simply a reflection of its time, the decades-old scene has once again placed PTV’s rich television history at the center of public conversation.

  • | | |

    Oil prices surge as US-Iran talks falter and suppl…

    Global oil prices climbed on Friday as stalled efforts to end the conflict involving Iran heightened concerns over possible disruptions to crude supplies. Markets remained focused on developments in the tense US-Iran negotiations, with traders also weighing the risk of further military and economic escalation. Brent crude futures rose 1.45 per cent to $88.33 a barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate crude gained 1.26 per cent to $82.27. Both benchmarks were on course for substantial weekly gains as uncertainty surrounding regional oil supplies continued to influence trading. Concerns intensified after the United States indicated that economic pressure on Iran could be increased, including the possibility of extending a naval blockade. Analysts warned that any significant escalation in the conflict could cause a much sharper increase in energy prices by threatening supplies from the region. Market strategist Kyle Rodda of Capital.com said geopolitical uncertainty remained a major obstacle for financial markets despite otherwise supportive economic conditions. Investors have so far absorbed considerable uncertainty without demanding substantially higher risk premiums, but analysts cautioned that this balance could change quickly if tensions worsen. Rising crude prices also weighed on European equities, which ended the week lower and broke a four-week run of gains. In the United States, major stock indexes also declined, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average falling 0.14 per cent, the S&P 500 losing 0.19 per cent and the Nasdaq Composite dropping 0.39 per cent. Meanwhile, the US dollar weakened after disappointing retail sales data reduced expectations of another Federal Reserve rate increase. The softer dollar provided support to gold, with spot gold advancing 0.69 per cent to $4,380.03 an ounce. Currency markets also remained focused on Japan, where the yen edged higher against the dollar amid speculation that the Bank of Japan could raise interest rates as early as September. The currency nevertheless remained close to the 160-per-dollar level, which traders believe could prompt further intervention from Japanese authorities. Investors are now watching the next developments in US-Iran relations closely. A breakthrough in negotiations could ease pressure on energy markets, while any major escalation could trigger a renewed surge in oil prices and broader financial market volatility.

  • |

    Indian activist Sonam Wangchuk ends 26-day hunger strike

    Indian environmentalist and social activist Sonam Wangchuk has ended his 26-day hunger strike after holding discussions over the ongoing nationwide protests against alleged examination paper leaks. However, demonstrations demanding the resignation of Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan are continuing across India. Wangchuk announced his decision through a post on social media, saying he ended the fast after lengthy negotiations and concerns that the situation could lead to further violence. He said he would soon explain the conditions that led to his decision in a separate video message. The 59-year-old activist had been fasting since June 28 in support of a youth-led protest movement that accuses the government of failing to prevent repeated examination paper leaks. Protesters have demanded the resignation of the education minister after alleged leaks in medical college entrance examinations forced millions of students to retake the tests. Shortly before Wangchuk’s announcement, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation and pledged stronger legal action against those responsible for examination fraud. He described the paper leak scandal as a serious issue affecting the future of hundreds of thousands of students and said the government would introduce tougher legislation to combat such crimes. Modi also announced plans to speed up court proceedings against those involved in examination fraud, adding that the issue would be discussed by the federal cabinet. While outlining the government’s response, he did not comment on demands for the education minister’s resignation. Despite Wangchuk ending his fast, thousands of protesters continue to gather at New Delhi’s Jantar Mantar and in several other cities. Demonstrators say they will maintain their peaceful campaign until the education minister steps down and comprehensive reforms are introduced to restore transparency and fairness in India’s examination system. The protests have become one of the biggest public challenges faced by Prime Minister Modi’s government since beginning its third term. Tensions have risen in recent days after clashes between police and protesters. Security forces used tear gas and batons to stop demonstrators attempting to march towards parliament, leading to widespread criticism from rights organisations over the handling of the protests.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *