nccia cracks down
| |

NCCIA cracks down on cyber fraud, arrests 7 in Lah…

LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) has arrested seven suspects in separate operations against online financial fraud in Lahore and Multan, exposing schemes involving WhatsApp hacking, fake visa charges and marriage scams.

Acting on special directives from NCCIA Punjab Director Muhammad Ali Wasim, officials in Lahore arrested a suspect identified as Haider Ali, who allegedly posed as a courier company representative to obtain victims’ OTPs and verification codes. The suspect and his associates reportedly gained access to WhatsApp accounts and then contacted victims’ relatives and friends to demand money.

Investigators said one victim transferred Rs2.77 million to an account linked to Haider Ali. The money was subsequently moved through several accounts and withdrawn. A mobile phone recovered from the suspect contained WhatsApp conversations, transaction records, identity documents and other digital evidence.

In Multan, authorities arrested Muhammad Imran Shahid for allegedly impersonating a victim’s cousin and demanding money through phone calls and WhatsApp messages on the pretext of visa extension and visa fees. The suspect reportedly received Rs580,000 from the victim.

In another case, five suspects were arrested for allegedly using fake Instagram and Snapchat profiles to befriend women and lure them with marriage proposals. The suspects allegedly sent fake gift and parcel receipts before demanding money under the guise of customs duties, taxes and clearance charges.

Mobile phones were recovered during the operations, while investigators are examining the suspects’ financial transactions, call records and digital data. The NCCIA said further revelations are expected as the investigations continue.

Similar Posts

  • | | | |

    US forces disable two ships amid rising tensions i…

    WASHINGTON: Tensions around the Strait of Hormuz have intensified after the United States said its forces had disabled two commercial vessels that failed to comply with orders linked to its naval blockade of Iranian ports. The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said American forces had redirected 12 commercial vessels attempting to breach the blockade as of July 25. Two ships that allegedly refused to comply were disabled, while two others were boarded to verify compliance. The latest development adds another layer of uncertainty to maritime traffic through one of the world’s most strategically important waterways, where any disruption can have consequences for global energy and shipping markets. CENTCOM said the Mozambique-flagged M/T Lavine was disabled in the Gulf of Oman on July 24 after its crew allegedly attempted several times to violate the blockade and ignored repeated warnings. According to the US military, the vessel had been heading towards Iran but is no longer travelling to an Iranian port. The US military also reported a separate operation involving the Comoros-flagged M/T Charminar in the Arabian Sea. American forces boarded the tanker on July 25 for verification. After the inspection, the vessel was allowed to continue its journey, according to CENTCOM. CENTCOM has described the naval blockade as remaining fully in effect, saying its forces are continuing to monitor commercial shipping and enforce restrictions on vessels travelling to or from Iranian ports. The confrontation comes amid heightened US-Iran tensions and growing concerns over the security of maritime routes around the Gulf of Oman and Strait of Hormuz. The waterway is a crucial passage for international trade and energy shipments, making military activity in the area particularly sensitive. The US claims its measures are aimed at preventing vessels from violating the blockade, while Iran has continued to challenge restrictions on shipping in the region. The latest incidents could further complicate efforts to maintain safe commercial navigation. With American forces increasing enforcement and vessels facing greater scrutiny, shipping companies operating near the region are likely to remain on high alert. For now, the Strait of Hormuz remains a major flashpoint, with every confrontation at sea carrying the risk of a broader escalation.

  • | |

    Kelly Clarkson gets candid about her single life

    Kelly Clarkson is thriving on her own, and she made sure her Las Vegas audience knew it. During her residency at Caesars Palace on Friday, the Grammy-winning singer turned a moment of audience banter into one of the most relatable and widely shared comments of her recent public appearances, delivering a set of honest and very funny observations about single life that quickly resonated online. Addressing the question that people apparently keep asking her, Clarkson went straight to the point. “People are like, ‘Oh, why are you single?’ And I’m like, ‘First of all, there are a lot of people out here making single look real good,’” she joked to the crowd. She did not stop there. “And if you didn’t really understand what I meant by that, it’s like you see relationships and you’re like, ‘I am so glad I’m going home alone.’” The audience reportedly laughed along with a recognition that needed no further explanation. She followed that with one more line that landed particularly well. “You know what’s not happening in my house?” she said before adding: “That s–t.” But Clarkson also shifted tone to deliver something more sincere beneath the comedy. She acknowledged that long-term relationships, when they do work, require sustained and conscious effort from both people involved. “If you are in a relationship, the hardest part is just keeping that fire alive and still dating,” she said. “And like still making it feel magical and not monotonous.” It was a moment that balanced her comedic instincts with a genuine insight about why relationships are hard, and why being honest about that matters more than performing contentment. Clarkson has kept her personal life largely private since her divorce from Brandon Blackstock, with whom she shares two children. Since finalising the separation, she has channelled her energy into her music, her long-running talk show and her parenting, rarely speaking at length about romance or the prospect of a new relationship. Her Las Vegas residency has given her a different kind of platform, one that is intimate, live and visibly free of the usual formalities that shape media appearances. In that setting, she has clearly felt comfortable speaking with the kind of unfiltered candour that her fanbase has always responded to. The comments from Friday’s show spread quickly online, with many fans describing the moment as the most relatable thing they had heard in months. For Clarkson, it appears that choosing herself is not a consolation. It is the plan.

  • |

    Anil Kapoor misses Satish Kaushik in heartfelt Friendship day note

    Anil Kapoor has shared a heartfelt tribute to his late friend Satish Kaushik, who passed away in 2023. The veteran actor took to Instagram to mark Friendship Day with an emotional message dedicated to him. Along with his note, Kapoor posted a nostalgic clip from one of the films he made with Kaushik. The clip brought back memories of their years spent working together and building a lasting friendship. Kapoor began his caption by wishing his followers a happy Friendship Day. He then shifted his focus to Kaushik, writing that he was missing his dear friend deeply on this particular day. He went on to reflect on what made their bond so special. According to Kapoor, everyone has that one friend they turn to during frustrating moments, sad days, or simply when they need a laugh. He said Satish was exactly that person for him. Their conversations, he explained, never needed to go beyond that comfortable, easy space friends naturally share. Kapoor also spoke fondly about Kaushik’s talent. He recalled his humour, his infectious energy, and the sense of positivity he always brought into any room he entered. Towards the end of his note, Kapoor reflected on how rare true friendships like theirs really are. He described them as a blessing rather than something people should ever take for granted. He said that on this particular Friendship Day, his thoughts were with Kaushik. He then closed the post with a simple, heartfelt message, wishing his late friend a happy Friendship Day and expressing his love for him. Over the years, Kapoor and Kaushik shared the screen together in several memorable films. These included Deewana Mastana, Mr. India, and Thar. Their real-life friendship often carried the same warmth that fans saw in their on-screen collaborations. Kaushik passed away at the age of 66 on March 9, 2023, following a sudden heart attack. His death came as a major shock, both to the film industry and to fans who had grown up watching his work over the decades. Even years after his passing, heartfelt tributes like this one from Kapoor continue to show just how deeply Kaushik’s presence and friendship are still missed by those who knew him best.

  • |

    Oil prices rise as Hormuz tensions escalate

    Oil prices climbed on Monday as uncertainty over a possible diplomatic breakthrough between the United States and Iran increased, while a sharp slowdown in tanker movements through the Strait of Hormuz heightened concerns about disruptions to global crude supplies. Brent crude futures gained as much as 1% during early trading to reach $89.40 per barrel. The benchmark was later up 72 cents, or about 0.8%, at $89.20 a barrel by 0229 GMT. US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude also moved higher, rising 44 cents to $82.83 per barrel. Both international benchmarks posted gains of more than 5% last week after a series of attacks involving energy and shipping assets in and around the strategically important Strait of Hormuz. The incidents have intensified fears that further escalation could affect one of the world’s most important oil transit routes. Market sentiment was further affected by developments over the weekend, when Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said Tehran had yet to decide whether it would resume negotiations with Washington. US President Donald Trump, meanwhile, told Americans to prepare for somewhat higher gasoline prices as the conflict continues. Analysts said the renewed uncertainty had brought geopolitical risk back into crude markets after oil prices had previously come under pressure on expectations that diplomatic efforts could ease tensions. “Oil prices have now rebounded almost completely from the lows seen in early August, as hopes for a more permanent resolution between the US and Iran have faded and geopolitical risk premiums have returned to the market,” said Priyanka Sachdeva, head of market insights at Phillip Nova in Singapore. Sachdeva cautioned, however, that the rally could lose momentum unless there is evidence of a further deterioration in the situation. She said the market would need to see renewed aggression in the Strait of Hormuz, particularly significant damage to oil tankers or energy infrastructure, before prices were likely to move substantially higher. Hormuz shipping activity slows Concerns over physical supply disruptions increased after ship-tracking data showed a marked decline in vessel traffic through the Strait of Hormuz over the weekend. According to data from Kpler, only five commodity vessels crossed the strategic waterway on Saturday, while no such transits were recorded on Sunday. This compared with 31 commodity vessel crossings during the previous weekend. The slowdown is significant because the Strait of Hormuz is a critical route for international energy shipments. Any prolonged disruption could increase transportation risks, raise insurance costs and place additional upward pressure on crude prices. The United Arab Emirates also accused Iran of attacking another vessel operated by Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) while it was passing through the strait on Friday, according to the Emirati state news agency WAM. The UAE had earlier blamed Iran for two separate incidents involving ADNOC-operated vessels on Thursday evening. The latest incidents have added to concerns among traders that the conflict could increasingly affect commercial shipping and energy infrastructure, rather than remaining confined to military and diplomatic confrontation. Markets remain focused on escalation risks The Strait of Hormuz remains particularly important to global oil markets because a substantial volume of crude and petroleum products moves through the waterway. Any sustained interruption could therefore have consequences well beyond the region. For now, traders are closely monitoring developments involving US-Iran diplomatic contacts, attacks on shipping and the movement of tankers through the strait. While the latest price gains reflect a higher geopolitical risk premium, analysts remain cautious about predicting a prolonged rally. If shipping activity resumes and diplomatic channels reopen, some of the premium built into crude prices could quickly unwind. Conversely, additional attacks on tankers, oil facilities or other critical infrastructure could trigger a stronger market reaction and push prices higher as traders reassess the security of regional supplies.

  • |

    PhD exams face explosive questions over quality

    A renewed debate over the reliability of PhD examinations has emerged following questions surrounding the doctoral thesis of Professor Jason Arday. Arday submitted his PhD thesis at Liverpool John Moores University in July 2015. The controversy resurfaced after Professor Richard Dawkins publicly questioned whether the thesis had been thoroughly examined. Other commentators have also raised concerns about its academic quality and allegations of plagiarism. The debate has now expanded beyond the individual case. It has prompted questions about how universities assess doctoral research and whether the existing system consistently maintains the required academic standards. A PhD normally represents several years of specialised research. A doctoral thesis can contain tens of thousands of words and often requires extensive academic reading and analysis. The assessment is generally carried out by two examiners. One is usually from the candidate’s university, while the other comes from an external institution. Critics argue that the workload involved in examining a thesis is not always matched by the financial compensation provided to examiners. Examiners are commonly paid a relatively modest fee for reviewing lengthy and complex research. This has raised concerns that some may not devote sufficient time to the process. There are also concerns about inconsistencies in examination decisions. Some candidates have reportedly failed their PhDs despite believing that their research met the required standard. Others have received a pass even when questions remained about the quality of their work. The appeal process can be particularly difficult for unsuccessful candidates. A failed PhD can mean years of research being lost. Students who finance their own studies can also face substantial financial losses. For those hoping to build academic careers, the consequences can be even more serious. Another issue is the selection of examiners. Supervisors often play a role in recommending academics to assess their students’ work. Critics say professional relationships within academia could potentially influence the choice of examiners or the assessment itself. Academic misconduct presents another challenge. Universities can spend considerable time investigating allegations of plagiarism and other forms of cheating. Lengthy investigations can involve hearings, appeals and administrative procedures. The discussion has also highlighted the subjective nature of academic assessment. Different examiners can sometimes reach different conclusions about the same research. In some cases, candidates who fail with one set of examiners may later receive a pass from another panel after an appeal. There is no suggestion that these concerns necessarily apply to Arday’s examination. The available debate does not establish whether his thesis met or failed to meet the required standard. However, the controversy has renewed calls for universities to examine their doctoral assessment systems. Questions include how examiners are selected, whether they receive adequate compensation, how thoroughly theses are reviewed and how allegations of academic misconduct are handled. The wider debate is therefore about more than one doctoral thesis. It raises fundamental questions about the credibility, consistency and accountability of the PhD examination process.

  • | | |

    Pakistan approves 1m tonnes wheat imports

    Pakistan’s strategic wheat reserves have fallen to critically low levels, with the stocks held by the Pakistan Agricultural Storage and Services Corporation (PASSCO) reportedly almost exhausted. The shortage has emerged despite the International Monetary Fund (IMF) allowing the government to procure wheat. Federal and provincial authorities, however, were unable to secure sufficient quantities, resulting in a sharp decline in PASSCO’s strategic reserves. The situation has raised concerns about maintaining adequate wheat supplies and meeting future requirements. PASSCO plays an important role in maintaining strategic stocks that can be used to support food security during periods of shortage. In response to the declining reserves, the Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) has approved the import of one million tonnes of wheat. The government has also formed a steering committee to oversee the process and ensure that all necessary requirements are completed before the imported wheat is brought into the country. Officials said the import process will be subject to several conditions. These include pre-shipment inspection to verify the quality and quantity of wheat before it leaves the exporting country. Another major condition requires provincial governments to arrange and provide the funds needed to meet their respective wheat requirements. The latest decision comes as authorities seek to strengthen wheat availability and prevent a potential supply gap. The import plan is expected to help rebuild stocks after the depletion of PASSCO’s strategic reserves. The steering committee will monitor the required procedures and coordinate with the relevant federal and provincial authorities. Its role will include ensuring that the conditions attached to the wheat import decision are fulfilled. The development highlights the importance of timely wheat procurement and strategic stock management. Any delay in rebuilding reserves could create additional pressure on the country’s food supply system, particularly if domestic availability remains insufficient.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *