cdf asim munir
| | |

CDF Asim Munir lauds veterans’ vital national ro…

Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir has praised the services of Pakistan’s former military personnel. He said their experience and guidance remain a valuable institutional asset for the country.

The army chief made the remarks while hosting a reception in honour of ex-servicemen on Pakistan’s Independence Day. A large number of retired officers and personnel attended the event.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Asim Munir paid tribute to the former servicemen for their contributions to Pakistan’s defence.

He also recognised their role in strengthening national resilience. He said the services of retired military personnel continued to hold importance even after their formal retirement from the armed forces.

Field Marshal Asim Munir said Pakistan was facing a complex and changing security environment. He noted that the experience of former servicemen could help the country better understand and respond to emerging security challenges.

He described their knowledge, experience and guidance as an important institutional resource. He said the contribution of veterans could support efforts to strengthen national security and resilience.

The army chief also acknowledged the sacrifices and services rendered by former members of the armed forces during their years of service.

The ex-servicemen, in turn, expressed confidence in the leadership of the Pakistan Army. They reaffirmed their support for the armed forces in dealing with emerging security challenges.

The retired personnel also pledged to continue playing their role in strengthening national unity. They expressed their commitment to supporting peace and prosperity in the country.

The gathering provided an opportunity to recognise the continued connection between serving and retired military personnel. It also highlighted the importance of preserving institutional experience and benefiting from the knowledge of veterans.

Similar Posts

  • | | |

    Imran Khan’s eye improves, 84 meetings held with…

    The superintendent of Adiala Jail has submitted a two-page report to the Supreme Court regarding the health of PTI founder Imran Khan and his meetings with family members while in prison. According to the report, Imran Khan and his wife have been meeting regularly every Tuesday under the applicable jail rules. The report states that a total of 84 meetings between the two have taken place so far. The jail superintendent also referred to proceedings related to a contempt of court case, stating that the matter had already been decided by a bench headed by the chief justice of the Islamabad High Court. The report also mentioned an undertaking given by Salman Akram Raja that the media would not be addressed inside the jail premises after meetings. The report claimed that the undertaking was allegedly violated when media interaction took place despite the court’s directions. It also referred to an Islamabad High Court single-bench ruling in the Sher Afzal case, in which Jail Rule 265 was declared unlawful. The jail administration further alleged that statements made during meetings at the prison were used to create public sentiment against the judiciary, foreign policy and law-enforcement institutions. Regarding Imran Khan’s health, the report said that prison medical officers examine him and monitor his food and water intake three times a day. It added that several government doctors have also examined him and that records of these medical assessments are available. The report said Imran Khan has also received treatment from an eye specialist. According to the jail superintendent, one of his eyes has now become almost normal following treatment. A summary of 39 medical examinations conducted by different specialists between November 4, 2023 and August 10, 2026, has also been attached to the report. The jail superintendent requested the Supreme Court to dispose of the case in light of the information provided in the report. Meanwhile, a three-member Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Shahid Waheed is scheduled to hear the case tomorrow, August 18.

  • | |

    Eight bodies recovered sfter avalanche on broad pe…

      Skardu: Rescue teams have recovered the bodies of eight climbers who went missing after a massive avalanche struck Broad Peak, one of the world’s highest mountains, in northern Pakistan. The tragic incident has shocked the international mountaineering community and prompted an extensive search-and-rescue operation in the Karakoram mountain range. According to officials, four additional bodies were located during the latest phase of the rescue mission, bringing the total number of recovered victims to eight. Earlier in the day, rescue teams had already found four bodies in the avalanche-hit area. Of the four bodies recovered most recently, three have been airlifted by helicopter to Skardu for identification and further legal formalities. Rescue authorities are continuing efforts to locate the remaining two missing climbers, despite extremely challenging weather conditions, difficult terrain, and the constant risk of further avalanches. The search operation remains active on Broad Peak, with rescue personnel working around the clock to find the missing mountaineers. Helicopters, local rescue teams, and experienced high-altitude climbers are taking part in the mission, while authorities continue to monitor weather conditions that could affect ongoing operations. Provincial Minister for Tourism Nek Nam Karim said the government is making every possible effort to locate the remaining climbers. He stated that the Tourism Department is providing full logistical support to rescue teams, including transportation, coordination, and essential equipment required for high-altitude search operations. The group of missing climbers represents several countries, highlighting the international nature of mountaineering expeditions in Pakistan. The team includes climbers from the United States, China, Nepal, Oman, and Pakistani mountaineer Sohail Sakhi, who remains among those unaccounted for. Authorities are maintaining close contact with the embassies of the affected countries and are keeping the families of the climbers informed about developments in the rescue operation. Broad Peak, located in Pakistan’s Gilgit-Baltistan region, is the 12th-highest mountain in the world, standing at ,8047 metres (26,401 feet)above sea level. It lies within the Karakoram mountain range, close to K2, and is regarded as one of the world’s most demanding climbing destinations. Every year, experienced mountaineers from across the globe travel to Pakistan in an attempt to summit the towering peak. However, climbing Broad Peak is extremely hazardous. Mountaineers face unpredictable weather, heavy snowfall, strong winds, crevasses, and the constant threat of avalanches. Even highly skilled climbers can find themselves in life-threatening situations due to rapidly changing mountain conditions. The latest tragedy serves as a painful reminder of the dangers associated with high-altitude mountaineering. Rescue officials have acknowledged that operations at such elevations are exceptionally difficult because of thin air, freezing temperatures, and limited access to the affected areas. As the search for the remaining missing climbers continues, hopes remain that rescue teams may still locate them. At the same time, condolences continue to pour in for the victims and their families. The incident has once again highlighted both the breathtaking beauty and the unforgiving dangers of Pakistan’s towering Karakoram mountains, where adventure and risk often go hand in hand.

  • | |

    Irish songwriter Glen Hansard dies in Dublin motor…

    Irish singer-songwriter Glen Hansard, acclaimed for his work with The Frames and his Academy Award-winning song Falling Slowly, has died following a motorbike accident in Dublin. He was 56. Emergency services were called to Lower Road in Lucan shortly before dawn on Wednesday. Police confirmed the crash involved only Hansard’s vehicle and appealed for witnesses. His management, ATC, said his family was “heartbroken” and asked for privacy. Hansard’s career began on Dublin’s streets as a busker before he appeared in Alan Parker’s The Commitments in 1991. A year earlier he had founded The Frames, a band that became a cornerstone of Ireland’s rock scene. His international breakthrough came with Once, the 2007 film in which he starred alongside Czech musician Markéta Irglová. Their duet Falling Slowly won the Oscar for Best Original Song the following year and later formed the backbone of a Broadway musical that earned eight Tony Awards. Beyond his collaborations with Irglová in The Swell Season, Hansard released solo records including Didn’t He Ramble, which earned a Grammy nomination in 2016. He also became a familiar face on Irish television as the original presenter of RTÉ’s Other Voices. Hansard was widely admired for his charity work, particularly the Christmas Eve busk he launched in Dublin in 2010 to support the Simon Community. The annual event drew stars such as Bono, Sinéad O’Connor and Shane MacGowan. The charity described him as “a giant in the fight against homelessness” and said his compassion would remain part of his legacy. Tributes poured in from fellow artists and public figures. Actor Chris O’Dowd wrote: “He did that. And he leaves it with us. Thanks Glen.” Musician Mike Scott of The Waterboys added: “Travel on well, Buddy. You made your dreams come true.” Irish Prime Minister Micheál Martin called Hansard “a talented musician and actor who made a significant contribution to Ireland’s cultural landscape.” Hansard leaves behind his partner and their young son. In a recent interview he reflected on fatherhood, saying it had “upturned everything I know” and brought him to “a very different place than I’ve ever been before.”

  • |

    Xi backs Brazil against foreign interference in call with Lula

    Chinese President Xi Jinping expressed support for Brazil’s efforts to protect its sovereignty and resist foreign interference during a phone conversation with Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, according to Chinese state media. The discussion took place just months before Brazil’s closely watched presidential election and against the backdrop of growing trade and diplomatic tensions with the United States. According to China’s Xinhua news agency, Xi praised Brazil’s role on the international stage and said Beijing values the country’s influence in global affairs. He stated that China supports Brazil in defending its independence, rejecting outside interference, and contributing to regional and international peace and stability. The phone call comes less than three months before Brazilians head to the polls in an election expected to be highly competitive. President Lula is seeking another term and faces a challenge from right wing candidate Flavio Bolsonaro, the son of former president Jair Bolsonaro. The Brazilian presidency said the two leaders also discussed strengthening economic cooperation. Both sides agreed on the importance of accelerating negotiations for a trade agreement between China and Mercosur, the South American trade bloc that includes Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Such an agreement could expand trade opportunities between the region and the world’s second largest economy. During the conversation, which lasted more than an hour, Lula reaffirmed his commitment to expanding Brazil’s international trade network. He said his government is working to diversify export markets and reduce dependence on a limited number of trading partners, particularly as Brazil faces increased tariff pressure from the United States. Relations between Brasilia and Washington have become more strained in recent months. The United States introduced two additional rounds of tariffs on a range of Brazilian products this month, following a significant tariff increase imposed last year. The measures were linked to political tensions surrounding the legal case that resulted in former president Jair Bolsonaro being sentenced to prison over an alleged coup plot. Lula has strongly criticized the tariffs, arguing that they amount to political pressure during an election year. He has accused Washington of attempting to influence Brazil’s domestic affairs through economic measures, an allegation the United States has rejected. Diplomatic tensions have also surfaced over election related issues. According to diplomatic sources, Brazil recently refused entry visas for two American officials who planned to visit the country’s election authorities ahead of the October vote. The move reflected growing sensitivity within the Brazilian government over foreign involvement in electoral matters. Meanwhile, Flavio Bolsonaro has continued to question the reliability of Brazil’s electronic voting system despite repeated assurances from election officials that it is secure. His claims have echoed similar allegations made by US President Donald Trump regarding American elections, although no credible evidence has supported those accusations. While the Chinese government highlighted Xi’s support for Brazil in resisting external interference, the official statement released by the Brazilian presidency did not specifically mention that part of the discussion. Instead, it focused on economic cooperation and the importance of strengthening trade ties between Brazil, China, and the Mercosur bloc. The conversation underscores the increasingly close relationship between Beijing and Brasilia at a time when Brazil is balancing political challenges at home with shifting economic and diplomatic dynamics on the global stage.

  • |

    Shanto backs Bangladesh to handle Australia’s pace and bounce

    DARWIN: Bangladesh captain Najmul Hossain Shanto believes his team is ready for the pace and bounce of Australian conditions as the visitors prepare for their first Test on Australian soil in more than two decades. Bangladesh will face Australia in Darwin in their first Test in the country since 2003. The unfamiliar conditions are expected to provide a major challenge, particularly against an Australian attack capable of generating significant pace and bounce. Bangladesh’s preparations suffered an early setback when they were bowled out for just 54 against a Cricket Australia XI in a practice match. Shanto, however, insisted the result had not damaged the team’s confidence after spending around 10 to 12 days preparing in Darwin. “Tackling the bounce is the key,” Shanto said at his pre-match press conference, adding that Bangladesh had spent recent months preparing on bouncy pitches at home. The captain acknowledged that the opening phase against the new ball could be Bangladesh’s toughest test but urged his batters to remain disciplined and trust their natural game. Bangladesh arrive with reasons for optimism. They defeated Australia 2-1 in an ODI series in June, securing their first bilateral series victory over the 2023 ODI World Cup champions. The matches were played on relatively quick pitches, giving the visitors useful experience before their Test assignment. Their improvement has also been reflected in the World Test Championship standings. Bangladesh currently sit fourth after completing a 2-0 Test series victory over Pakistan in May, compared with seventh place in the previous WTC cycle. Shanto said the team had made steady progress, particularly with the ball, but believed greater consistency from the batting unit could take Bangladesh to another level. The visitors are also considering a combination of three fast bowlers and two frontline spinners, Mehidy Hasan Miraz and Taijul Islam. Mehidy heads into the match with confidence after scoring a century in the tour game. Shanto expects the Darwin pitch to offer opportunities for both batters and bowlers. “There’s grass on the wicket, but it’s a good wicket where both batters and bowlers will find help,” he said. For Bangladesh, the Test represents more than a difficult overseas assignment. It is an opportunity to measure their recent progress against one of cricket’s strongest teams in conditions that demand patience, discipline and adaptability.

  • | |

    Ainak Wala Jin creator Hafeez Tahir condemns AI remake

    Veteran writer and director Hafeez Tahir, the creator of the iconic Pakistani fantasy television series Ainak Wala Jin, has strongly criticised the makers of the recently released AI-generated film adaptation, alleging that his original work was used without his permission. The AI-based adaptation was released in cinemas earlier this month, prompting Tahir to share a video on Instagram in which he expressed his disappointment and urged the public to spread awareness about what he described as the unauthorised use of his creation. In the caption accompanying the video, he referred to the matter as “daylight robbery.” Speaking directly to viewers, Tahir asserted that Ainak Wala Jin was entirely his original creation. “Today I am very angry because my life’s work, Ainak Wala Jin, is being taken and its name is being used in an AI-generated film that has been released in theatres. I’d like to tell you all that this is my idea, my concept, my creation,” he said. The veteran filmmaker further explained his role in developing the beloved television series. “I am the concept writer. I created the name, I directed it and made a quality serial,” Tahir stated. He added that he later sold the rights to a private television channel, which, according to him, continues to benefit from the show’s popularity by attracting millions of views through YouTube uploads. Tahir also alleged that neither the filmmaker nor the cinema releasing the AI adaptation sought his approval before using the title and concept. “Neither the filmmaker nor the cinema that released the film sought my permission,” he claimed. The creator further criticised the heavy reliance on artificial intelligence in the adaptation, arguing that it stripped away the originality and emotional appeal of the classic television series. “To take a series and base it on AI is to ruin an iconic idea. They’ve changed the appearance of the characters and destroyed them,” he said. Expressing particular disappointment over the portrayal of one of the show’s most recognisable characters, Tahir added, “My main character, Nastoor Jin, looks like a dacoit here. They have changed the original characters, their voices and replaced them with AI-generated music. In this way, they have ruined such a beautiful idea.” Concluding his statement, Tahir suggested he may pursue legal action over the matter. “Now tell me, should we stay quiet or move forward and take legal action?” he asked. The video drew significant attention online, with many fans supporting Tahir and expressing concern over the use of artificial intelligence to recreate a cherished Pakistani television classic without the creator’s involvement. Several users criticised the filmmakers for relying on AI, while others said the controversy was upsetting because Ainak Wala Jin remains an important part of their childhood memories. One fan described the series as a defining part of growing up, while another said the situation was “so upsetting.” Originally broadcast in 1993, Ainak Wala Jin became one of Pakistan’s most popular children’s fantasy dramas. Running for 152 episodes, the series followed Nastoor Jin, portrayed by Shahzad Qaiser, a genie who travels to the human world in search of a cure for his weak eyesight. The show remains one of the country’s most memorable television productions decades after its original release.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *