police kill suspected
| |

Police kill suspected mastermind of Hangu attack

HANGU: Police in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa said on Sunday they had killed the alleged mastermind behind last week’s deadly attack on the Khazina Banda police check post during a security operation near Chapri Naryab in Hangu district.

According to police officials, security personnel launched the operation after receiving intelligence about the movement of 15 to 18 suspected militants in the area. During the exchange of fire, authorities said a high-value militant wanted in connection with the Khazina Banda attack was killed.

Officials identified the deceased as the alleged planner of the assault on the police check post, which took place on July 29 and resulted in one of the deadliest recent attacks on law enforcement personnel in the district.

Police said the earlier attack claimed the lives of 10 police personnel, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), while 28 others were injured. The assault prompted an extensive search operation across Hangu and surrounding areas to trace those involved.

Authorities said intelligence-based operations have since been intensified to dismantle militant networks operating in the region. Security forces are continuing search and clearance operations to locate any remaining suspects believed to have escaped during Sunday’s action.

The killing of the alleged mastermind is being viewed by officials as a significant breakthrough in the investigation into the Khazina Banda attack. However, police have not yet released the identity of the deceased or provided further operational details.

The July 29 attack had shocked the province and renewed concerns over militant violence targeting security personnel in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It also triggered a strong response from law enforcement agencies, which vowed to bring those responsible to justice.

Officials reiterated that operations against militant groups would continue until all those involved in attacks on security forces are apprehended or neutralized. They emphasized that intelligence-led operations remain a key part of efforts to maintain law and order and prevent further attacks in the region.

Investigations into the Khazina Banda incident are ongoing, while authorities continue to assess evidence collected from both the attack site and the latest operation.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Coalitional fallout as violence and electoral fraud claims mar Azad Kashmir elections

    A bitter clash between federal coalition partners has erupted over the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly elections, following the death of a political worker and mutual allegations of voter fraud. The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) condemned the killing of 35-year-old party worker Mukhtar Younus during polling in Nikyal, Kotli. Addressing a joint press conference, Sindh Local Governments Minister Saeed Ghani directly blamed the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) candidate and supporters for the shooting, stating, “The way this election campaign was conducted, the result is that bullets are being fired today… Our workers are dying.” Ghani heavily criticised the Election Commission for failing to enforce code of conduct rules and accused the Punjab government of attempting to influence voters by promising public buses during the campaign. He also took aim at PML-N President Nawaz Sharif’s comparative statements regarding Sindh and Kashmir, asserting: “When you say ‘this is Kashmir, not Kashmore’ or ‘this is Mirpur, not Mirpur Khas’, you hurt the people of Sindh… Perhaps that is why people say the PML-N is not a national party but a Punjabi party.” Rejecting the accusations, Punjab Information Minister Azma Bokhari presented video footage alleging that a PML-N candidate discovered bags of pre-stamped ballot papers at the home of a PPP candidate in Kotli. Pointing out the contradiction, Bokhari remarked, “Yesterday they said they would not let rigging happen. Today they are rigging.” Defending her party’s track record, Bokhari argued that public transit is a basic necessity and noted that the promised buses for AJK had not yet begun operating. She maintained that voters in the Mirpur division were turning out despite boycott calls, seeking Punjab-style developmental projects such as electric buses, housing, and youth scholarships. Addressing queries regarding Nawaz Sharif’s interest in the region, Bokhari clarified that the former prime minister does not seek an official title, but simply wishes to offer development guidance to AJK due to his Kashmiri heritage.

  • | | |

    PPP takes LA-15, PML-N wins LA-16

    The Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) have won one seat each in Bagh district of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK), according to unofficial and preliminary results. The results came after repolling was held at 23 polling stations in two constituencies. Voting was conducted on Saturday from 8am to 5pm. The repolling was ordered after voting could not take place at some polling stations during the earlier election process. In LA-16 Bagh, PML-N candidate Mir Akbar Khan emerged victorious. According to unofficial results from all 186 polling stations, he received 20,793 votes. His main rival, PPP candidate Qamar Zaman Khan, secured 16,964 votes. Akbar Khan defeated Qamar Zaman by 3,829 votes. The result gave the PML-N an important victory in the constituency. The party candidate maintained a clear lead after counting was completed at all polling stations. In the other constituency, LA-15 Bagh, the PPP secured victory. Its candidate Zia Qamar received 17,019 votes, according to unofficial results from all 213 polling stations. PML-N candidate Mushtaq Minhas stood second with 15,127 votes. Zia Qamar defeated Minhas by a margin of 1,892 votes. The two results mean that the PPP and PML-N have secured one constituency each in Bagh district. Repolling at the 23 polling stations continued for the full voting period. Voters were allowed to cast their ballots between 8am and 5pm. The polling stations had previously faced disruptions. In some areas, election material had not reached the polling stations on time. Voting was also suspended at some locations because of unrest and security concerns. The Election Commission arranged the fresh polling to complete the voting process at the affected stations. The exercise was conducted under heightened attention because of the importance of the two constituencies. The latest results are still unofficial and non-final. The relevant election authorities will formally verify the results before declaring the final outcome.

  • |

    Demi Lovato gets nostalgic as ‘Camp Rock 3’ nears release

    Demi Lovato is taking a nostalgic trip back to where her career first began. Her tribute comes just days before “Camp Rock 3” premieres on August 13. The 33-year-old singer and actress famously played Mitchie in both “Camp Rock” and its sequel, “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam.” On August 10, she took to Instagram to share a heartfelt post about the franchise. Lovato shared a mix of movie stills and behind-the-scenes photos from her time on the original films. She captioned the post simply, expressing that Mitchie will always hold a special place in her heart. Fans quickly flooded the comments section, sharing their own emotional reactions to the throwback. Many expressed how much the character and franchise meant to them growing up. One user wrote that Mitchie Torres would always remain a beloved character to them. Another said “Camp Rock” holds an irreplaceable spot in their heart, while a third called the photo a perfect snapshot of their childhood. This nostalgic post follows Lovato’s earlier confirmation that she will officially be reprising her role as Mitchie in the upcoming third film. She made the announcement on X, sharing a personal photo alongside the caption. In her message, Lovato playfully asked fans if they’d missed her, signing off in character as Mitchie herself. The announcement generated immediate excitement among longtime fans of the franchise. Her return marks a major milestone, arriving 18 years after the original “Camp Rock” first introduced her to audiences back in 2008. That film played a key role in launching her career as both an actress and singer. Lovato will not be returning alone either. She’ll be joined once again by the Jonas Brothers, who are reprising their roles as the band Connect 3. Joe Jonas returns as Shane Gray, Nick Jonas as Nate Gray, and Kevin Jonas as Jason Gray. Beyond acting, the brothers are also serving as executive producers on the new film, adding another layer of involvement to the long-awaited reunion.

  • |

    Oil prices fall over $4 after Trump halts planned Iran strikes

    Global oil prices recorded a significant decline after US President Donald Trump announced that the United States would halt its planned military strikes on Iran, easing concerns over a potential escalation in the Middle East and reducing fears of disruptions to global energy supplies. In international trading, crude oil prices fell by more than $4 per barrel as investors reacted positively to the announcement, leading to a broad sell-off in oil futures. Brent crude, the international benchmark for oil prices, dropped by $4.08 to settle at $83.85 per barrel. Meanwhile, US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude declined by $4.01, bringing its price down to $80.66 per barrel. Market analysts said the sharp decline reflected improving investor confidence after the reduction in geopolitical tensions between Washington and Tehran. The possibility of avoiding direct military confrontation eased concerns about supply disruptions from one of the world’s most strategically important oil-producing regions. The Middle East plays a critical role in global energy markets, and any signs of conflict involving Iran often trigger volatility in crude oil prices. Investors closely monitor developments in the region due to the importance of key shipping routes, including the Strait of Hormuz, through which a significant portion of the world’s oil exports passes. Last month, oil prices surged by more than 20 percent after renewed US military action against Iran and reports that Tehran-backed forces targeted several oil tankers near Oman. Those incidents heightened fears of supply interruptions, driving both Brent and WTI crude to their highest levels in months. With the latest announcement from President Trump, traders have shifted their focus toward the possibility of improved regional stability. However, energy market experts caution that oil prices are likely to remain volatile, as any renewed geopolitical tensions or disruptions to oil transportation routes could quickly reverse the recent decline.

  • |

    Flash flood warning issued for New York, New Jersey

    Authorities have issued a flash flood warning for New York City, parts of New Jersey and western Long Island as heavy rainfall, thunderstorms and strong winds swept across the region, raising the threat of widespread flooding and travel disruptions. Weather officials warned that intense downpours could quickly overwhelm drainage systems, flood roads and affect low-lying areas. The flash flood warning remained in effect through Monday morning, while a broader flood watch was issued for New York City and northern and central New Jersey until the evening. Forecasters also declared a First Alert Weather Day, citing an elevated risk of flash flooding and severe thunderstorms. Moist and humid air moving into the region is expected to produce rainfall rates of one to three inches per hour, with total rainfall forecast between one and three inches. Some isolated locations could receive even higher amounts, significantly increasing the risk of flooding. In response to the severe weather threat, New York City Emergency Management activated its Flash Flood Emergency Plan. City crews were deployed to clear storm drains and catch basins in flood-prone neighbourhoods, while emergency teams were placed on standby to respond to flooded streets, fallen trees and stranded motorists. Officials warned that severe thunderstorms could also generate damaging wind gusts, increasing the possibility of power outages and hazardous driving conditions throughout the day. Meanwhile, a High Surf Advisory was issued for beaches south of New York City and across Long Island, where waves were expected to reach between six and ten feet. Authorities also warned of a high risk of dangerous rip currents and urged residents and visitors to stay out of the water until conditions improve. Temperatures were expected to remain in the low 80s under mostly cloudy skies. Weather experts forecast that storm activity would gradually weaken by Monday night, bringing an improvement in conditions.

  • Thai Government Confirms Sufficient Fuel Supplies During Songkran Holiday

    BANGKOK — The government has confirmed there are sufficient fuel supplies to meet demand during the upcoming Songkran holiday, as authorities intensify nationwide distribution and monitoring efforts to ease public concerns over possible shortages during one of Thailand’s busiest travel periods, the Bangkok Post reported. Thai Government to Roll Out Fuel Relief Measures from April […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *