dead gas blast

32 dead as gas blast rips through Quetta coal mine

At least 32 bodies were recovered overnight from two coal mines in the Sorange coalfield near Quetta after a methane gas explosion tore through the site. The search for two more miners continued on Friday, an official told Dawn.

The explosion took place on Thursday at a private coal mine in the Sorange coalfield, about 30 kilometres northeast of Quetta. The methane gas blast set off a fire, caused the mine to collapse, and also affected a nearby mine.

Chief Inspector of Mines Balochistan Muhammad Atif told Dawn that 34 miners were inside the two mines at the time of the explosion. He said that so far 32 bodies had been recovered from both mines, and that the operation to recover the remaining two miners was continuing in the mine where the explosion originally took place.

Officials said the explosion happened on Thursday afternoon while 24 miners were working around 4,000 feet underground in the first mine. A fire broke out soon after the blast, causing parts of the mine structure to collapse. The sound of the explosion was heard across a wide area of Sorange.

A second, nearby mine was also badly affected. Twelve miners were working inside this mine when the explosion occurred. Mining engineers and workers built alternative routes to reach both affected mines, but large amounts of methane gas along with the ongoing fire made it extremely difficult to reach the bodies and the miners still trapped deep underground.

Provincial Minister for Mines and Minerals Mir Shoaib Nosherwani announced that the provincial government will pay Rs500,000 in compensation to the family of each miner who died, and Rs300,000 to every injured worker. He said an inquiry into the incident would also be carried out.

This is not the first such tragedy in the region. In June, three people were injured when explosive material used in mining accidentally went off in Quetta division’s Khanuzai area. In April, at least five coal miners were killed in two separate accidents in the Bolan and Duki coalfield areas.

Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Shangla district is mourning the loss of 28 young coal miners who died in the blast, including 23 residents of a single village, Mian Kaly. The Shangla Coal Mine Workers Association said that almost every household in Mian Kaly is now grieving the loss of a family member.

Abid Yaar, president of the association, said Mian Kaly has become the centre of repeated coal mine tragedies. He said that of the 28 deceased workers from Shangla district, 23 were from Mian Kaly, also known as Pir Abad, two were from Kana, and one each came from Bada and Gata Bely Baba.

He said the victims were between 17 and 25 years old, and many belonged to the same families, being cousins or close relatives. He added that several of the dead were orphans whose fathers had also died in earlier coal mine accidents.

Yaar alleged that the tragedy was caused by negligence on the part of the mine administration and a lack of basic safety measures. He claimed there was no proper ventilation system in the government run mine, which led to the deadly gas explosion.

He said this was not just an accident but a lifelong trauma for the families, orphans, widows and mothers who lost their loved ones. He said these young men had gone to work in the mine only to earn a living and support their families back home.

He also said that Shangla lacks factories and other skilled job opportunities, which forces young people to risk their lives in dangerous coal mines just to make ends meet.

Family members of the victims criticised the government for failing to arrange ambulances to transport the bodies home. They said they had to bring the remains back in a van at their own expense. According to the Shangla administration, one body arrived on Friday evening, with the rest expected to arrive later that night and early Saturday morning. Three of the miners who died in the tragedy were brothers.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Rain alert as low-level flooding persists

    Rain is expected in several parts of Punjab, upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Kashmir today, according to the latest weather and flood forecast. The Flood Forecasting Division in Lahore said water levels remain elevated at several points along the Indus River. Low-level flooding is still being reported at Kalabagh, Taunsa and Guddu barrages. Authorities are continuing to monitor the situation as river flows remain higher than normal at these locations. The flooding at these barrages is currently classified as low-level. Relevant departments are keeping a close watch on water levels and river flows. Meanwhile, the situation at Chashma Barrage has returned to normal. No low-level flooding is currently being reported there. The possibility of rain in parts of Punjab, upper Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Kashmir could affect water levels in some areas. Authorities are expected to remain alert, particularly in areas located near rivers and other waterways. Residents in vulnerable areas have been advised to stay informed about weather and flood updates and follow instructions issued by local authorities.

  • | |

    TikToker arrested in Abdullah Tahir murder case

    Police have arrested a female TikToker in connection with the murder case of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Abdullah Tahir. According to police, the suspect allegedly honey-trapped the driver of the slain political leader. She was arrested from Sialkot during an investigation into the case. Police sources said the woman is a resident of Faisalabad. She had allegedly gone into hiding after the murder. Investigators had been searching for her as they traced the people linked to the incident. Officials said the suspected honey-trap is an important part of the investigation. The driver of Abdullah Tahir was allegedly targeted through the woman before the murder. Investigators are also looking into the alleged use of a drone camera in the case. Police are trying to determine who operated the drone and how it may have been used during the planning or execution of the crime. Abdullah Tahir was shot dead in the Ghalib Market area a few days ago. The killing triggered an investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death. Police are now questioning the arrested TikToker and examining her alleged links with other suspects. Investigators are also working to establish the motive behind the killing. Authorities are expected to gather further evidence as the investigation continues. Police are also looking into the role of other individuals who may have been involved in the alleged honey-trap operation.

  • | |

    Rawal dam spillway gates to open saturday as water…

    The spillway gates of Rawal Dam will be opened on Saturday at 6:00 a.m. after the reservoir’s water level reached 1,748.30 feet, prompting authorities to release excess water as a precautionary measure. According to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), the controlled release of water is expected to increase the flow in Korang Nullah. Officials have urged residents living along the nullah to remain alert and take necessary precautions to ensure their safety. The NDMA advised the public to avoid crossing Korang Nullah or using temporary bridges if the water level rises following the opening of the spillway gates. Authorities warned that stronger water currents could pose serious risks to commuters and nearby communities. Local administration and emergency response teams have been placed on alert to monitor the situation and respond promptly to any emergencies. Residents in low-lying areas have been encouraged to stay informed through official weather and disaster management updates. The opening of spillway gates is a routine safety measure carried out to regulate reservoir levels and reduce pressure on the dam during periods of increased rainfall or rising inflows. Timely water releases help maintain the structural safety of the dam while minimizing the risk of flooding downstream. Authorities have emphasized the importance of following official advisories and avoiding unnecessary travel near Korang Nullah until water levels stabilize. Motorists and pedestrians are advised to exercise caution, particularly in areas where temporary crossings may become unsafe due to the increased flow. The NDMA continues to monitor water levels and weather conditions closely in coordination with local authorities. Any further changes in the situation will be communicated through official channels. Residents are encouraged to remain vigilant, cooperate with emergency officials, and report any signs of flooding or hazardous conditions. By following safety guidelines and avoiding high-risk areas, the public can help reduce the risk of accidents during the controlled release of water from Rawal Dam.

  • |

    Azma Bukhari slams PPP over performance

    Punjab Information Minister Azma Bukhari has criticised the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), accusing it of avoiding questions about its performance and shifting the blame onto the federal government through what she described as a misleading political narrative. In a statement, Bukhari said the PPP had failed to address major public issues in Sindh, particularly in Karachi, where, according to her, residents continued to struggle with water shortages and depended on the tanker mafia for access to basic necessities. She questioned the PPP’s criticism of the federal government and said the party should focus on its own performance instead of creating what she called a false narrative against the centre. Commenting on the response to previous floods, Bukhari said PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari had advised the government to seek donations during the crisis. She claimed that Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz took practical steps to respond to the disaster using the province’s own resources, while the federal government did not provide the support Punjab expected. The provincial information minister also criticised what she described as the PPP’s repeated complaints against its political opponents. She said the party’s tendency to “cry foul” had become a routine part of its politics. Bukhari added that political tensions could ease if the opposition reduced its rhetoric. “If the political temperature comes down from the other side, we will also respond in the same manner,” she said. Taking aim at the Sindh government’s healthcare system, Bukhari questioned why senior leaders and ministers from the province travelled abroad for medical treatment if the healthcare facilities in Sindh were as effective as the PPP claimed. She also highlighted the Punjab government’s focus on southern Punjab, saying Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz had given the region special attention and was working to improve development and public services there. Bukhari further accused the PPP of adopting different standards when discussing political and administrative issues. She said the party frequently used the southern Punjab issue as a political card while opposing similar demands for the creation of new administrative units in Sindh. The Punjab information minister argued that the PPP should maintain consistency in its political position and apply the same principles to administrative reforms across the country.

  • | |

    Magistrate launches inquiry into deaths of two gir…

    LAHORE: A judicial magistrate has initiated an inquiry into the deaths of two underage girls who died while in police custody in Lahore on August 4. The inquiry was launched after the families of the deceased girls demanded an impartial investigation into the circumstances surrounding their deaths. The girls were identified as Amina and Anmol. They had reportedly remained in police custody for more than two hours before emergency services were called to the Township police station. The circumstances leading to their deaths have not yet been fully established. Proceedings have been initiated under Section 176 of the Code of Criminal Procedure. The provision empowers a magistrate to examine deaths that occur in police custody or under other suspicious circumstances. The magistrate can record statements from relevant individuals during the inquiry. Witnesses may also be examined under oath. The law further allows the magistrate to order the exhumation of a body if a postmortem examination is considered necessary to determine the cause of death. The judicial proceedings are expected to focus on what happened while the two girls were being held at the police station. Authorities are likely to examine the circumstances surrounding their arrest, the period they spent in custody and the events that took place before Rescue 1122 was contacted. The timing of the emergency call has also become an important part of the inquiry. The families have sought clarity over the events inside the police station and called for the matter to be investigated independently. The deaths have raised concerns about the treatment of minors in police custody and the responsibility of officials overseeing detainees. The magistrate’s inquiry is expected to establish the sequence of events and determine whether any negligence or wrongdoing contributed to the deaths. Further action will depend on the findings of the judicial inquiry and other available evidence.

  • | | |

    Pakistan seeks early refinancing of $1.3 billion C…

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has formally requested China to speed up the refinancing of a $1.3 billion commercial loan as Islamabad seeks to strengthen its foreign exchange reserves and ease pressure on its external financing position. According to sources, Pakistani authorities are currently holding discussions with their Chinese counterparts to complete the refinancing process at the earliest. The two sides are working to finalize the required terms, conditions, and procedural requirements. Officials expect the refinancing arrangements to conclude soon, with the funds likely to reach Pakistan within the current month if the remaining formalities are completed on schedule. Sources within the Ministry of Finance said the government expects the timely arrival of the funds to provide much-needed support to the country’s foreign exchange reserves. The refinancing would also help Pakistan manage its external debt obligations without placing additional pressure on its existing reserve position. Pakistan made external payments of around $2.2 billion in July, including the repayment of approximately $1.3 billion in Chinese commercial financing. The government now seeks to refinance the repaid amount to maintain liquidity and strengthen its financial position. The move comes as Pakistan continues to manage its external financing requirements and maintain adequate foreign exchange reserves to meet upcoming debt repayments and other international payment obligations. The successful completion of the refinancing deal with China would offer temporary relief to the country’s external account and support overall financial stability.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *