trump imposes tariffs

Trump imposes 50% tariffs on Canada as Carney vows to consider ‘All Options’ in response

US President Donald Trump has imposed a 50% tariff on a wide range of goods imported from Canada, retaliating against what he called “unequal treatment” of US cars, dairy, and alcohol. Everyday consumer items like wine and hockey sticks, as well as industrial goods such as cement, are on the target list, though several key exports including energy, potash, critical minerals, and fish will be spared.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he had spoken to Trump and both leaders agreed to “intensify” trade talks in a bid to calm growing tensions between the North American neighbours. However, Carney warned that “all options” were on the table in terms of how Canada could respond to the fresh tariff threat. Since the tariff war broke out more than 18 months ago, Carney said Canadians have “stood together” by buying home-produced goods and agreeing new trade routes with other countries. “[The] country is stronger, stronger because we are united, and we will remain united,” he told reporters.

Tensions between the major trading partners have been simmering since Trump returned to office in January last year and unleashed a wide-ranging global programme of tariffs. Asked about the latest tariffs, which the White House says will take effect in 30 days, Trump said Canada had been “very, very tough on us over the years” and “no other presidents done anything about it.” He added: “I love Canada, I love the people of Canada, many friends that live in Canada. Without us, there’s no way they can survive.”

The latest move comes after the US Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that many of the tariffs imposed globally under emergency powers were illegally enacted. Trump has since sought other legal avenues to push through his flagship trade policy. Trump has said the levies will boost American manufacturing and jobs, but some economists have warned that higher charges on imported goods risk pushing up prices for consumers.

This new round of duties on Canadian goods has also fuelled speculation about a potential wider tariff announcement by the US on countries across the world. US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said on Tuesday that he expected to “see some action soon” when asked about the possibility of forthcoming levies. Canada, which is one of the US’s closest trading partners, was one of the few countries to retaliate last year against Trump’s tariffs, placing a 25% levy of its own on about C$30 billion worth of US goods. Carney later dropped some of them.

As the trade war escalates, the implications for both economies remain significant. Canada’s reliance on US markets for exports and the interconnected nature of North American supply chains mean that any prolonged tariff dispute could have far-reaching consequences. Carney’s warning that “all options” are on the table suggests that Canada is prepared to respond forcefully if necessary, potentially escalating the conflict further. The coming weeks will be critical in determining whether diplomatic efforts can de-escalate the tensions or whether the trade war will intensify, impacting businesses and consumers on both sides of the border. The international community will be watching closely as two of the world’s largest trading partners navigate this dangerous standoff.

Similar Posts

  • |

    ‘Remove Mamdani’: New York protests erupt

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in New York City calling for Mayor Zohran Mamdani to resign or be removed from office. Demonstrators gathered near Gracie Mansion and voiced strong opposition to the mayor. Chants including “Remove Mamdani” and “Mamdani has to go” were heard during the protest. The demonstration came amid heightened tensions following a recent stabbing on Manhattan’s Upper West Side that is being investigated as a possible hate crime. One of the victims was a Jewish man, while another victim was Asian. Both survived the attacks. Critics of Mamdani have accused his administration of failing to do enough to protect Jewish New Yorkers. Protest organisers have also objected to his positions on Israel and broader foreign-policy issues. The protest reflects the growing political divisions surrounding Mamdani’s administration. His policies and views on international affairs have drawn strong support from some groups while facing intense criticism from others. Mamdani has previously defended the right to peaceful demonstrations, including protests directed against him. He has said that peaceful protest is a fundamental democratic right, while stressing that threats, violence and hate speech are unacceptable.

  • |

    US delegation walks out of UN Security Council after dispute with France

    The United States walked out of a United Nations Security Council meeting on Monday during remarks by France’s ambassador, escalating a diplomatic dispute between the two allies over human rights and the leadership of the UN’s top human rights office. The disagreement began after a recent vote on extending the term of Volker Turk as the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. The United States joined Russia and North Korea in opposing his reappointment, placing Washington on the same side as two countries it has frequently criticized over human rights issues. Following the vote, France’s mission to the United Nations strongly criticized the US position on social media, saying Washington had once been a global symbol of human rights but no longer deserved that reputation. The statement drew a sharp response from American officials and set the stage for the diplomatic confrontation that followed. The latest tension unfolded during an emergency Security Council meeting on Russia’s war in Ukraine. As France’s UN Ambassador Jerome Bonnafont began speaking, members of the US delegation left the chamber in protest. US Ambassador Dan Negrea later said the walkout was a direct response to what he described as France’s disrespectful and condescending language toward the United States. He warned that similar protests would continue unless France changed its approach and withdrew its criticism. Earlier, US Ambassador Mike Waltz defended Washington’s opposition to Turk’s second term. He argued that the human rights chief had unfairly criticized democratic countries while failing to take a strong enough stance against governments with poor human rights records. Waltz did not identify specific examples to support his criticism. During his time in office, Turk has repeatedly condemned Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and has also raised concerns about Israel’s military operations in Gaza. Despite US objections, his second term was approved by a large majority of UN member states, with 144 countries voting in favor, 10 voting against and 13 abstaining. The dispute reflects broader tensions between the United States and the United Nations under President Donald Trump’s administration. In recent years, Washington has reduced financial support for several UN agencies and withdrawn from a number of UN bodies as part of a wider review of its international commitments. After the vote on Turk’s reappointment, US Ambassador Jeff Bartos warned that the United States would reconsider its participation, engagement and funding for UN institutions. He accused the organization of allowing procedural abuses and political deals to influence key appointments. France, however, strongly defended Turk’s leadership. Ambassador Bonnafont described him as a principled and impartial official who had carried out his responsibilities with integrity during his first term. France argued that his reappointment reflected the confidence of the overwhelming majority of UN member states. A spokesperson for the United Nations declined to comment directly on the American walkout but said the organization expects all member countries to respect decisions made through its established voting process. The incident has added to growing friction between Washington and the UN at a time when international cooperation is already under pressure from several global conflicts.

  • |

    Trump says US will maintain control of Strait of Hormuz 

      US President Donald Trump has said American forces are likely to remain in control of the strategically important Strait of Hormuz, as tensions between Washington and Tehran continue to rise and efforts to revive a temporary peace agreement show little progress. In a post on his Truth Social platform on Wednesday, Trump claimed that the United States has “total control” over the waterway and suggested that Washington intends to maintain its presence there. He described the ongoing naval blockade as a “wall of steel” and said Iran had no effective means of challenging it. Trump also claimed that Iran’s military strength had been severely weakened, alleging that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had been “decimated.” He further described Iran’s economy as collapsing, pointing to high inflation and accusing Tehran of relying on rhetoric rather than meaningful action. However, an Iranian source said there had been no progress in efforts to restore an interim agreement reached in June. The agreement had called for an immediate halt to military operations and provided a 60-day period, which could be extended by mutual agreement, for both sides to negotiate a longer-term settlement. The arrangement quickly deteriorated. Trump later declared the agreement over, while Iran described it as suspended. Tehran has accused Washington of failing to meet its commitments, including lifting restrictions on Iranian ports and releasing frozen Iranian financial assets. The United States, meanwhile, has accused Iran of failing to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. The Iranian source said mediators were discussing the possibility of Washington returning to the interim agreement and establishing a timetable for fulfilling its commitments, but no progress had been made. Tensions have increased further following fresh attacks on shipping in the region. The Strait of Hormuz, located between Iran and Oman, is one of the world’s most important energy routes and previously carried around one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas supplies. Concerns over disruptions have contributed to a sharp rise in oil prices since the conflict began. Shipping traffic through the strait also dropped significantly. Data showed that only eight vessels were tracked passing through the waterway on Tuesday, the lowest daily figure in about a week. Ship operators have increasingly avoided the route because of security concerns. Additional attacks were reported at other major maritime chokepoints. In the Bab el-Mandeb Strait at the southern end of the Red Sea, four crew members were reportedly killed when an Iran-backed Houthi attack targeted a small cargo vessel. Two Yemeni rescuers were also reported killed. The US military separately said an American Navy helicopter fired two missiles to disable the steering system of a Panama-flagged cargo ship. US Central Command said the vessel had ignored repeated warnings and violated the naval blockade of Iranian ports. Maritime sources said the ship was struck near Pakistan while travelling toward the Gulf of Oman. The latest attacks have increased concerns about global energy supplies. Brent crude prices continued to rise, while investors reacted to growing uncertainty over the possibility of a quick end to the conflict. Iran has warned that the Strait of Hormuz will remain closed unless Washington accepts its conditions for ending the war. At the same time, Trump has continued to alternate between threatening further escalation and suggesting that a peace agreement could be reached soon. With military tensions, attacks on commercial shipping and diplomatic disagreements continuing, prospects for a swift resolution appear increasingly uncertain.

  • | | |

    Salman Khan house security guard dies suddenly dur…

    A Mumbai police constable posted outside Bollywood superstar Salman Khan’s residence has died after reportedly falling ill while on security duty. The officer, identified as Constable Ganesh Raite, was part of the Mumbai Police team deployed outside Salman Khan’s Galaxy Apartments in Mumbai. According to Indian media reports, the constable complained of feeling unwell at around 6pm on Friday while carrying out his duty. His colleagues reportedly arranged for him to be taken to a hospital shortly afterward. However, doctors declared him dead after he was brought to the medical facility. Police officials have indicated that the constable may have suffered a heart attack while on duty. However, the exact cause of death has not yet been officially established. His body has been sent for a post-mortem examination, and the medical report is expected to provide further details. The incident occurred as Salman Khan continues to remain under heightened security because of threats against him. The actor’s security was upgraded to the Y-Plus category in 2024 following the killing of his close friend and former Maharashtra minister Baba Siddique. Salman has faced repeated threats reportedly linked to the Lawrence Bishnoi gang, with tensions surrounding a long-running blackbuck poaching case involving the actor. Security around Salman Khan’s residence has also been tightened following previous incidents. In April 2024, two motorcycle-borne individuals reportedly fired several rounds outside Galaxy Apartments. Investigators later linked the shooting incident to people associated with the Lawrence Bishnoi network. The latest death occurred while police personnel were continuing their security duties outside the actor’s Mumbai residence. The sudden death of Constable Ganesh Raite has raised attention because of the demanding security arrangements surrounding Salman Khan, who remains one of Bollywood’s most prominent and closely protected celebrities. Authorities are expected to establish the precise medical cause of death after the post-mortem examination. Until the medical findings are released, reports of a heart attack remain an initial assessment rather than a confirmed cause. The incident is also a reminder of the risks faced by police personnel assigned to high-profile security duties, where officers are required to maintain prolonged vigilance around protected individuals and their residences. Further details about the constable’s medical history and the circumstances surrounding his final moments are expected to emerge as the investigation and medical examination continue.

  • |

    Gulf nations back Omani plan for voluntary transit payments to resolve Hormuz maritime crisis

    Gulf Cooperation Council member states have formally endorsed a diplomatic initiative proposed by Oman to introduce voluntary service fees for commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, seeking to restore global energy shipments disrupted by the broader conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran. The framework, modeled after the cooperative navigation safety mechanism used in Asia’s Malacca Strait, allows shipowners to make optional financial contributions toward environmental protection, search-and-rescue services, and navigational maintenance rather than paying mandatory tolls. Designed as a compromise between Tehran’s demand for administrative authority over shipping lanes and Washington’s insistence on unimpeded international transit, the Omani proposal explicitly prevents Iran from exercising exclusive operational control over the waterway while offering a structured path toward reopening commercial transit routes. The diplomatic breakthrough coincides with a temporary lull in direct aerial bombardments after US President Donald Trump called off a two-week bombing campaign following advice from military commanders. Despite the pause in direct strikes between Washington and Tehran, regional tensions remain elevated due to ongoing proxy drone activity across Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Iraq, alongside continued US naval enforcement actions against non-compliant commercial vessels. While market reactions to the suspension of airstrikes sent global crude prices down sharply, formal resolution remains subject to upcoming diplomatic negotiations in Washington and the broader implementation of the bilateral framework agreement.

  • | | |

    Shooting outside York mosque sparks investigation,…

    A 44-year-old man has been arrested following a shooting incident outside York Mosque and Islamic Centre in the city of York, North Yorkshire, England. Police confirmed that no one was injured in the incident, while an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is underway. According to British media reports, the firing took place outside the mosque located on Bull Lane in York on Thursday. Following the incident, North Yorkshire Police arrested a local white British man in connection with the alleged shooting. Police officials said the weapon used in the incident is believed to have been an air weapon, similar to an air gun. Authorities traced the suspect after he reportedly left the scene in a silver-coloured vehicle and later took him into custody for questioning. The suspect remains in police custody as officers continue their investigation. Police have not yet confirmed the motive behind the incident and stated that it would be too early to draw conclusions about the reasons behind the concerning event. North Yorkshire Police assured the Muslim community in York that every effort is being made to establish the full circumstances and identify the factors that led to the incident. Authorities said additional patrols will continue in the area around the mosque, particularly during prayer times when worshippers gather. Police officials also said officers would meet with the mosque’s imam as part of efforts to provide reassurance and maintain community safety. The authorities emphasized that the safety of residents and worshippers remains a priority during the ongoing investigation. Investigators have appealed to witnesses and members of the public who may have relevant information to come forward. People with CCTV footage, mobile recordings, or dashcam footage from the area have been requested to share any material that could assist the investigation. The incident has raised concerns among members of the local Muslim community, although police have stressed that the investigation is still at an early stage. Authorities continue to examine all available evidence to determine the motive and circumstances behind the shooting. North Yorkshire Police have urged anyone with information related to the incident to contact them or provide details through Crime Stoppers to help officers complete their investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *