hormuz uncertainty pushes
| | | |

Hormuz uncertainty pushes global oil prices higher

KARACHI: Global oil prices edged higher on Monday as uncertainty over the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz continued to unsettle energy markets.

Brent crude climbed by more than 1% in Asian trading, moving above $84 a barrel, while US crude prices also posted gains of over 1%.

The market remains focused on the situation surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, a critical maritime route through which a significant share of the world’s oil supplies passes. Any prolonged disruption or uncertainty over shipping through the waterway could put further pressure on global energy prices.

Iran has indicated that discussions with Oman on establishing alternative shipping routes are nearing completion. However, Tehran says the United States still needs to fulfil additional conditions before arrangements concerning the waterway can move forward.

With the situation still unresolved, traders are closely watching developments around the Strait, with concerns over supply disruptions continuing to influence crude prices.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Gaza funeral held for 112 bodies retrieved from ru…

    Palestinians in Gaza held funeral prayers on Tuesday for 112 people whose remains were recovered from the rubble of homes destroyed during the war between Israel and Hamas. Thousands of mourners gathered for the funeral in Gaza City’s Sabra neighborhood, where the bodies, draped in Palestinian flags, were laid out near the ruins of the destroyed homes before the procession began. The victims are set to be buried afterward at the Baptist Cemetery in the Zeitoun neighborhood, south of Gaza City. The dead belonged to the Al Hasayneh and Abu Sharia families, who were killed when their homes were bombed while they were sheltering inside on November 23, 2023. Given the scale of the casualties, the funeral ranks among the largest recorded in Palestinian history. Civil defense teams recovered the bodies from the rubble on Saturday. A Civil Defence statement said the victims included 40 children, 38 women and seven people with disabilities. Civil Defence official Mohammad Abu Dan said search teams have so far been unable to locate 157 additional bodies still believed to be buried under the rubble. More than 73,000 people have been killed and over 174,000 injured in Gaza since the war began in October 2023, according to local health authorities. Despite a ceasefire agreement that took effect on October 10, 2025, Israeli forces have continued carrying out attacks across the territory, killing 1,250 Palestinians and injuring 4,110 others since the truce began, Gaza’s Health Ministry said. Palestinian authorities estimate that around 9,500 people remain missing under the rubble of buildings destroyed across the territory. A day earlier, at least 19 Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire over a 24 hour period, pushing the overall death toll since October 2023 to 73,375, according to the Health Ministry. Officials said the toll included 18 people killed directly by Israeli forces and one person who died from wounds sustained in an earlier attack. The ministry reported that 35 additional injured people were taken to hospitals during the same period, bringing the total number of injuries to 174,220. The ministry said Saturday that 152 people were killed in Gaza during July, the highest monthly death toll recorded since the start of the year, despite the ceasefire that took effect in October 2025. The truce followed nearly two years of war that began on October 8, 2023, and caused widespread destruction across the territory, affecting an estimated 90 percent of civilian infrastructure. The United Nations has put the cost of reconstruction at approximately 70 billion dollars, underscoring the scale of rebuilding that lies ahead even as sporadic violence continues despite the formal end of large scale hostilities.

  • |

    Pakistan sweep USA 3-0 in ITF Masters World Team Championship Opener

    Pakistan made a dream start to the ITF Masters World Team Championship by defeating the United States 3-0 in their opening Group match in Lisbon, Portugal. The convincing victory gives Pakistan an early boost in the prestigious men’s 45+ tournament, where more than 300 players from 30 countries are competing for top honours. Led by an experienced squad, Pakistan dominated both the singles and doubles contests to complete a clean sweep against the American side. Former Davis Cup star Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi set the tone with a composed performance in the opening singles match. The Pakistan Tennis Federation president defeated Wojtek Brytek in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, handing Pakistan a valuable early lead. The second singles encounter proved to be the highlight of the tie. Pakistan’s top-ranked player Aqeel Khan battled through a tense three-set contest against John Chesworth. After dropping the opening set, Aqeel fought back with determination to claim a hard-earned 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 victory, sealing Pakistan’s overall triumph. The doubles match added even more excitement. Pakistan’s Shehryar Salamat and Hadi Hussain lost the first set but responded brilliantly with an impressive comeback. The pair defeated Jevon West and Guillermo Cosen 1-6, 6-1, 10-6 in the deciding match tiebreak to complete a flawless 3-0 victory. The emphatic win has given Pakistan valuable momentum ahead of the remaining round-robin fixtures. The team’s blend of experience and composure under pressure was evident throughout the contest, raising hopes of a deep run in the championship. Pakistan will now face Canada in a crucial second group match. The winner will secure a place in the knockout stage of the tournament, making it one of the most important fixtures of the campaign. With confidence high after an outstanding opening performance, Pakistan will be aiming to continue its winning run and strengthen its bid for the ITF Masters World Team Championship title. The victory over the United States has already sent a strong message that the Pakistani veterans are ready to challenge the world’s best.

  • | |

    BTS star V reveals two-year hearing loss struggle

    BTS member V, whose real name is Kim Tae-hyung, has revealed that he has been undergoing treatment for hearing loss in his right ear for more than two years. The 30-year-old singer shared the information during a livestream on Wednesday, telling fans that this was the first time he had publicly spoken about the condition. V explained that his hearing in the affected ear is significantly weaker than in his left ear. He said that if his hearing in the left ear is considered 100%, the level in his right ear is around 30%. The singer said the problem became more noticeable during his mandatory military service in South Korea. However, he initially did not consider the issue serious and believed he could overcome it through mental strength. V said he is now receiving medical treatment, taking medication and visiting hospital regularly to manage the condition. His revelation comes as BTS is undertaking its first major world tour since all seven members reunited following their mandatory military service. BTS members began taking breaks from their group activities in 2022 as they prepared to fulfil their military obligations. V enlisted in 2023 and completed his service in June 2025. The group’s Arirang World Tour began in South Korea in April and has marked a highly anticipated return of the full seven-member lineup. The latest livestream came after BTS completed its concerts in Baltimore, Maryland. During the livestream, V was joined by fellow BTS member Jungkook, who also spoke about an injury affecting his shin during the tour. Jungkook revealed that he was concerned about the injury developing into a stress fracture and said he would need to manage it carefully to continue performing throughout the tour. BTS is scheduled to travel to several major international destinations in the coming months, including Los Angeles, Buenos Aires, Bangkok, Sydney and Hong Kong.

  • | |

    Nawaz Sharif looks beyond AJK: PML-N’s next poli…

    The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz’s victory in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir elections is more than another electoral success. It marks the return of Nawaz Sharif as the party’s undisputed political strategist and sends a clear message that his sights are now set far beyond AJK—towards the next general elections. For months, political observers questioned whether Nawaz Sharif would ever resume an active leadership role. His recent engagement has answered that question decisively. From personally chairing meetings in Murree with party ticket holders to spearheading the election campaign, Nawaz Sharif demonstrated that he remains the final authority within PML-N. The AJK result carries political significance because it is the first major electoral victory under his renewed leadership. It has strengthened his position within the party while boosting the morale of PML-N workers who have long awaited his full return to frontline politics. One defining feature of Nawaz Sharif’s political career has been his ability to think several moves ahead. Those who have closely followed his journey know he rarely makes impulsive decisions. Instead, he carefully plans, builds consensus and prepares the ground long before the political battle begins. Having observed Nawaz Sharif’s politics closely over the past two decades, including during his years in London, I have found that patience and long-term planning remain his greatest political strengths. Today, Nawaz Sharif is supported by two of the strongest pillars within the party. Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif continues to lead the federal government at a time when Pakistan has emerged from severe economic challenges. His government has worked to restore macroeconomic stability, rebuild investor confidence and improve Pakistan’s international standing. Equally important has been his unwavering loyalty to his elder brother. Throughout decades of political highs and lows, Shehbaz Sharif has stood firmly beside Nawaz Sharif, rejecting opportunities that could have divided the party and instead prioritising unity. Alongside him is Punjab Chief Minister Maryam Nawaz Sharif, who has evolved into the party’s most influential leader of the next generation. During PML-N’s years in opposition, she became the face of the party’s resistance, leading rallies, energising workers and keeping the party politically active during its most difficult period. Since assuming office, she has focused on governance, launching development and welfare initiatives that her supporters believe are reshaping Punjab. With Shehbaz Sharif managing the federation and Maryam Nawaz governing Punjab, Nawaz Sharif appears free to concentrate on what has always been his greatest strength—building the party organisation. His meetings with legislators, workers and local leaders suggest that organisational consolidation is now at the heart of his strategy. The AJK campaign may therefore be remembered as the beginning of a much larger political roadmap. Rather than waiting for the next general election to be announced, Nawaz Sharif appears to be rebuilding PML-N from the ground up, strengthening party structures, reconnecting with workers and preparing candidates well in advance. It is a strategy that has defined many of his previous political successes. Critics who predicted the end of Nawaz Sharif’s political career may need to revisit their assumptions. Pakistan’s political history has repeatedly shown that experienced leaders cannot be measured solely by temporary setbacks. Nawaz Sharif has returned before, and each comeback has reshaped the country’s political landscape. The message emerging after the AJK elections is unmistakable: Nawaz Sharif is looking beyond a single electoral victory. His focus is firmly fixed on preparing PML-N for the next national political contest. Whether one agrees with his politics or not, one reality is becoming increasingly clear: Nawaz Sharif is once again thinking several steps ahead. If history is any guide, that is when he has proved to be at his most politically effective.

  • | |

    Quetta connectivity outage disrupts routine life

    QUETTA: A sudden suspension of mobile phone and internet services has disrupted daily activities across Quetta, leaving residents struggling to communicate, conduct business and access essential online services. The connectivity shutdown affected a wide range of people, including students, healthcare professionals, traders, delivery workers and journalists. Many residents were unable to make calls, send messages or use internet-based services. Students were among those facing major difficulties. Those relying on online classes and digital learning platforms could not access study material or communicate with teachers and classmates. The disruption also affected students preparing assignments and completing other academic tasks online. The outage created problems for healthcare workers as well. Doctors, medical staff and patients often depend on mobile phones and internet services for communication. The interruption made it harder to coordinate with colleagues, contact patients and exchange important medical information. Businesses and traders also faced disruptions. Many shops and small businesses now depend on digital payments, online orders and messaging applications. The suspension affected their ability to communicate with customers and manage routine transactions. Delivery riders were particularly affected because they rely heavily on mobile applications and phone calls to receive orders, locate customers and coordinate deliveries. The loss of connectivity made these routine tasks considerably more difficult. The shutdown also created challenges for journalists reporting from Quetta. Reporters faced difficulties contacting sources, verifying information and sending updates from the field. The lack of reliable communication can slow down coverage, particularly when events are developing quickly. For ordinary residents, the disruption meant difficulty staying in touch with family members, friends and colleagues. People who depend on mobile services for work and other essential activities were forced to deal with additional inconvenience.

  • | |

    Multan airport records highest-ever 37 flights in …

    MULTAN: Flight operations at Multan International Airport have increased, with the airport recording a new daily high of 37 flights on Wednesday. According to the flight schedule, 449 flights were operated across Pakistan during the past 24 hours, while 68 flights were cancelled and 112 flights faced delays of up to seven hours. Of the 37 flights operated at Multan airport, 18 arrived and 19 departed, marking the highest number of daily flight operations recorded at the airport. The schedule showed that 135 flights were operated from Karachi, 118 from Islamabad, 105 from Lahore, 17 from Peshawar, 15 from Sialkot and 12 from Faisalabad. Flight delays were also reported at several major airports. Karachi recorded delays involving nine flights, while Lahore and Islamabad each reported 33 delayed flights. Multan had eight delayed flights, Peshawar six, Sialkot eight, Faisalabad nine and Quetta six. A number of flights were also cancelled during the same period. Karachi recorded 20 cancellations, Lahore 21, Islamabad 12 and Multan three. Peshawar, Faisalabad and Sialkot each recorded two cancelled flights, while six flights were cancelled at Quetta airport. The latest figures indicate increased flight activity at Multan International Airport, with the 37-flight total setting a new daily record for the southern Punjab city’s airport.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *