hurricane lala triggers
| |

Hurricane Lala triggers flash flooding across Hawa…

Hawaii is grappling with widespread flash flooding after Hurricane Lala skirted the Big Island as a category one storm, bringing powerful winds and heavy rain that officials say may have swept some homes off their foundations.

Tens of thousands of properties across the islands have lost power, and officials have urged residents to brace for life threatening conditions, including mudslides, as the storm continues tracking westward south of Hawaii. Lala strengthened into a hurricane on Saturday, with wind speeds reaching a peak of 91 miles per hour, or 147 kilometers per hour, and forecasters say the storm could dump as much as 35 inches, or 89 centimeters, of rain in some areas.

Hawaii Governor Josh Green said Saturday that one person died in a weather related car accident on Big Island, where numerous roads have been affected by the storm. Hawaii County officials said that as of 1:00 a.m. local time Sunday, two areas on Big Island had experienced flash flooding, warning that several occupied homes may have been swept off their foundations. Big Island Mayor Kimo Alameda said the county’s civil defense agency launched a search and rescue operation to locate residents whose homes may have been carried away by floodwaters. He described the rescue effort as especially difficult given the combination of rushing water, debris, boulders blocking roads and darkness.

Footage released by Hawaii’s Department of Transportation shows roads submerged under fast moving water and blocked by fallen trees. Green urged residents to prepare for what he called an incredible amount of water and pleaded with people to stay off the roads during the storm, delivering the warning in a video posted to social media.

The governor said 190 flights have been postponed as a result of the storm. At Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport, Big Island’s largest airport, 40 percent of flights were grounded Saturday according to flight tracking service FlightAware, while roughly 80 percent of flights were canceled at Hilo International, the island’s other major airport.

The National Weather Service issued its most severe warnings for areas in Big Island’s southeast, the region that came closest to the hurricane’s center, saying major rainfall flooding could prompt widespread evacuations and rescues as rivers and tributaries rapidly overflow their banks in multiple locations.

Nearly 115,000 customers had lost power across Hawaii as of Sunday morning local time, according to the tracking service PowerOutage. Green said three hospitals also lost electricity but continued operating on backup generators.

In Maui, some residents have been without water service since Saturday afternoon. A county statement said crews who responded to assess the situation were forced to turn back due to worsening weather and multiple downed trees, adding that repair work would resume once conditions allow safe access.

Meteorologist Jennifer Myers, who lives in Hilo on Big Island’s eastern coast, said landslides have already cut off some roads while falling trees have torn down power lines in the area. Describing the view from her apartment overlooking the Wailuku River where it meets Hilo Bay, she said the water level had risen dramatically and that the bay, normally blue, had turned a deep red from sediment and runoff pouring into it.

The hurricane ultimately did not make landfall on Big Island as some forecasts had suggested was possible, instead passing within 30 miles, or 48 kilometers, of the island’s South Point. Tropical storm warnings remain in effect across all eight of Hawaii’s major islands, including Big Island, Maui, Molokai, Kahoolawe, Oahu, Lanai, Kauai and Niihau. Big Island had previously been under a full hurricane warning. The National Hurricane Center said damaging winds and heavy rain will continue across Big Island overnight before spreading westward to the smaller islands on Sunday.

Officials had repeatedly urged residents to prepare ahead of the storm’s arrival. Social media posts from local community groups showed residents filling sandbags to protect their homes and asking about store hours in the early hours of Saturday. Hawaii County’s Civil Defense Agency said public shelters remain open across every district on Big Island.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Security scare in Germany

    German federal authorities and counterterrorism investigators have significantly heightened their security  following alarming revelations. According to confidential police documents cited by major German media outlets—including Süddeutsche Zeitung, NDR, and WDR—a Ukrainian cargo plane parked near an explosive-rigged drone at Leipzig/Halle Airport was actively carrying a shipment of military ammunition. The discovery has transformed what was initially treated as a localized security disruption into a high-stakes counterterrorism investigation into potential state-sponsored sabotage on critical European infrastructure. The Incident at Leipzig/Halle Airport The security breach unfolded late Tuesday night when airport ground personnel spotted a small First-Person View (FPV) drone hovering low to the ground near the tarmac. The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) eventually came to rest directly between two massive Antonov An-124 strategic freighters operated by Ukraine’s state-owned Antonov Airlines. Surprise grew among security officials when automated drone-detection systems failed to register the rogue aircraft prior to visual sighting. Specialized bomb disposal technicians from the Saxony State Criminal Police Office (LKA) quickly deployed remote bomb-disposal robots to neutralize the hazard. Forensic teams carefully detached a detonator from a fist-sized package of high-grade military explosives attached to the drone. Subsequent laboratory testing indicated the substance was likely Semtex, a potent explosive widely utilized in military and industrial demolition. Investigative reports from national daily Bild noted that only a technical malfunction in the improvised triggering mechanism prevented the explosive payload from detonating upon contact. High-Stakes Cargo at a Vital Strategic Hub The potential severity of the incident escalated sharply once investigators confirmed the contents of the adjacent aircraft. The Antonov freighter had recently arrived from France laden with military munitions intended for onward transfer. While authorities have not officially disclosed the specific caliber or destination of the military cargo, the presence of volatile munitions alongside a military-grade explosive device drastically raised the potential damage radius had an explosion occurred. Leipzig/Halle Airport serves as a vital artery for international air commerce, but it also holds immense geopolitical importance. It is the primary operational base for NATO’s Strategic Airlift International Solution (SALIS) program, which utilizes heavy transport planes to ferry military equipment across Europe and bolster defense along the alliance’s eastern flank. A Broader Pattern of “Hybrid Attacks” The drone discovery was not the sole disruption recorded at the facility that evening. In a separate and puzzling event during the same operational window, another commercial freight aircraft performing a go-around maneuver reported a mid-air collision with an unidentified flying object near the airfield. The affected jet sustained light damage before diverting to land safely at Hanover Airport. Search teams continue to comb the surrounding countryside for wreckage or debris connected to that mid-air collision. German Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt characterized the overall event as a classic “hybrid attack scenario,” warning of elevated threat levels against key supply chains and public infrastructure across the nation. While German federal prosecutors have not yet formally named suspects, several European lawmakers have publicly pointed toward foreign state intelligence services seeking to disrupt Western logistics networks and military support routes.   Flight operations at Leipzig/Halle Airport have since returned to normal schedules, but the incident has prompted urgent calls for updated security protocols and enhanced anti-drone defenses across major European transportation infrastructure.

  • |

    Delhi high court orders removal of Kala Hiran teaser, says Salman Khan’s reputation must be protected

    The Delhi High Court has ruled against the teaser of Kala Hiran: The Battle for Legacy, directing that it be taken down within 24 hours. The film is widely believed to draw from Salman Khan’s 1998 blackbuck poaching case, and the court found that letting the teaser stay online could hurt the actor’s public image. Justice Jyoti Singh made it clear that if the makers did not comply, platforms including X and YouTube would be ordered to remove the relevant links themselves. Khan had initially approached the court to protect his personality rights and won that protection early on. He then pushed further, asking for the film to be banned outright, insisting it mirrors his still-unresolved poaching case far too closely. His plea claimed the film features a character who looks just like him, wearing a bracelet he’s often seen with, and includes content he calls defamatory, including suggestions of underworld ties. He also flagged concerns that the film could interfere with his right to a fair trial, given that the original case is still active in both the Rajasthan High Court and the Supreme Court. Adding to his argument, Khan’s petition referenced an incident involving producer Amit Jani, who reportedly ripped up a legal notice sent by Khan’s lawyers during a public interview, then claimed on social media that he was being threatened by the actor and underworld figures. Justice Singh didn’t hold back on this point, saying the teaser was actively harming Khan’s reputation with each passing day it remained accessible, and reminded the court that a person’s reputation, built over years, can unravel almost instantly. Lawyers for the producer pushed back, saying the teaser never actually mentions Khan by name, does not rely on AI-generated visuals or deepfakes, and only reflects publicly known events, not anything exclusive to him. Khan’s side rejected that argument, maintaining that the resemblance was too obvious to ignore. They also noted he has already been acquitted in three of the four criminal cases linked to the incident, with his sentence in the last one currently on hold. After watching the teaser during the hearing, Justice Singh observed that portraying an ongoing legal matter this way could border on contempt of court. The judge also addressed the responsibilities of digital platforms, noting that companies like Meta and Google can’t fully sidestep accountability, even without a pre-publication order. Khan has now been directed to share a list of specific links he wants removed.

  • |

    Spain hero Marc Cucurella’s hairstyle has an emotional secret

    Spain’s FIFA World Cup-winning defender Marc Cucurella has become known around the world for his distinctive long, curly hair. But behind the trademark look lies a deeply personal story of love, fatherhood and unwavering support for his family. Following Spain’s World Cup triumph over Argentina, renewed attention has focused on the emotional reason Cucurella has chosen to keep his hair long. According to media reports, the Spanish international deliberately leaves his curls untied during matches so that his eldest son, Mateo, who has autism, can easily recognize him on the pitch. For Cucurella, his hairstyle is far more than a fashion statement. It is a symbol of his bond with his son and a reminder of the responsibilities and love that come with being a father. The touching story has resonated with football fans around the world, offering a glimpse into the personal challenges the defender has faced away from the spotlight. Reports say Cucurella and his partner, Claudia Rodríguez, went through an emotionally difficult period after Mateo was diagnosed with autism. In an Amazon Prime documentary, Rodríguez recalled how the couple struggled when they realized their son was developing differently from other children. She revealed that the experience was emotionally overwhelming. There were days when Cucurella would take Mateo to school and return home in tears, all while the family was preparing to welcome their second child, Rio. Cucurella has also spoken openly about how difficult it was to come to terms with his son’s diagnosis. However, he said the experience strengthened his commitment to supporting his family through every challenge. As Spain celebrates its World Cup success, Cucurella’s story has become an inspiring reminder that behind every sporting hero is a personal journey filled with sacrifice, resilience and unconditional love. For many fans, his iconic hairstyle now represents something far greater than football—it reflects the enduring power of family.

  • Thailand Steps Up Nipah Virus Watch, No Domestic Cases Found

    BANGKOK – Thailand is intensifying health screenings for international arrivals following reports of a Nipah virus outbreak in India, though no cases have been detected within the kingdom. Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul announced on Sunday, January 25, 2026, that enhanced precautionary measures are being implemented due to the absence of a cure or vaccine for […]

  • |

    Lahore Mass Transit Authority phases out tokens and legacy transit cards for digital payments

    The Lahore Mass Transit Authority (LMTA) has officially discontinued tokens and legacy transit cards across its public transport network, including the Orange Line Train, Speedo buses, and Metro Bus services. Under the new system, commuters must switch to digital payment methods, which include the official T-Cash Card, the LMTA mobile application, or standard bank ATM cards. LMTA In-charge Uzair Shah confirmed that existing balances on old cards will not be refunded, though passengers can return their physical cards to designated transit stations to claim their security deposit. The sudden shift has drawn criticism from local commuters, who reported being instructed to recharge the legacy cards shortly before the change and cited a lack of advance public notice.

  • | |

    Errors found in Mir Raza Ali’s initial post-…

    Fresh discrepancies have emerged in the initial post-mortem report of young businessman Mir Raza Ali, raising concerns that the investigation into his death could be compromised. According to medico-legal sources, several inconsistencies were identified after examining photographs of the body, prompting questions about the accuracy of the preliminary findings. Sources said the images showed a small gunshot wound on the lower back and a larger wound on the chest. They added that the injuries appeared inconsistent with the details recorded in the initial post-mortem report. The photographs also reportedly showed the fingers of the victim’s left hand tightly clenched around broken grass, while suspicious marks were observed on the right hand. Medico-legal officials said these details could be significant for the ongoing investigation. According to the sources, another visible injury was found beneath the victim’s chin, which was also not adequately addressed in the preliminary examination. The report further suggested that the body was approximately 24 to 36 hours old at the time it was examined. Sources familiar with the findings said the gunshot entry wound appeared larger than the exit wound in the report, while the photographs indicated the bullet had entered from the back and exited through the front. They stressed that these contradictions require further forensic review. Officials also noted that the body appeared swollen in the photographs and the face was severely disfigured. They said a detailed examination of the head could have helped determine the exact cause of the facial injuries and provided additional forensic evidence. The discrepancies have raised concerns that flaws in the initial post-mortem documentation may affect the direction and credibility of the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *