bus crash hungarian
| |

Bus crash on Hungarian highway kills twelve Polish…

Twelve people died and dozens more sustained injuries after a bus carrying Polish pilgrims veered off a motorway in Hungary and crashed into a ditch early Sunday.

Police said the bus overturned after leaving the M3 motorway, which links the Hungarian capital Budapest with the northeastern city of Nyíregyháza, at around 1:00 a.m. local time, or 2300 GMT Saturday. Investigators believe the driver fell asleep at the wheel, and he has since been taken into custody.

State media reported that firefighters have rescued 35 of the 57 passengers and two drivers who were aboard the bus. According to the Hungarian news agency MTI, emergency crews initially worked to lift the rear axle of the 24 tonne vehicle to free people trapped underneath before cranes arrived on scene to lift the entire bus.

Hungary’s ambulance service said it treated one person with life threatening injuries, nine others with serious injuries and 37 more with minor injuries following the crash.

Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar offered his condolences to the victims’ families and wished the injured a swift recovery. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk echoed those sentiments and said he had ordered a special Polish aircraft carrying foreign ministry officials and medical personnel to travel to the scene, saying Poland stands together with those affected during the difficult moment.

The bus had been returning from Bosnia and Herzegovina and was carrying pilgrims from Poland’s southernmost region of Podkarpacie, according to the Polish news agency PAP. Poland’s Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski said his Hungarian counterpart informed him that police had already begun questioning the driver as part of the investigation into the crash.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Anne Hathaway drops a bombshell on Julie Andrews?…

    Fans of The Princess Diaries have been given a bittersweet update about the long-awaited third movie. Anne Hathaway has addressed Julie Andrews’ decision not to return as Queen Clarisse Renaldi, a role that became one of the most beloved parts of the original films. Andrews recently confirmed that she will not appear in The Princess Diaries 3. The 90-year-old actress explained that she has essentially retired from on-screen acting and felt the new story could continue without her character. She also acknowledged that turning down the opportunity was difficult. (InStyle⁠) Hathaway, who played Mia Thermopolis in the first two movies, has responded warmly when discussing her former co-star. Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Hathaway described Andrews as a warm, gracious and funny person and reflected on the special connection they developed while making the original movies. (EW.com⁠) For Hathaway, Andrews’ absence is particularly meaningful because the veteran actress played such an important role in her early career. Their relationship was not simply limited to the characters of Mia and Queen Clarisse. Andrews also became someone Hathaway admired and learned from. Still, Hathaway has made it clear that the third movie is moving forward. During Disney’s D23 event on August 14, she reassured fans that the team is working hard to make sure the sequel feels right. She also thanked audiences for their patience as the project continues to develop. (Harper’s BAZAAR⁠) The third installment has taken years to reach this stage. Adele Lim, known for Crazy Rich Asians, is directing the film, while Hathaway is returning as Mia and is also involved behind the scenes as a producer. The story has gone through changes, with an earlier version of the script being scrapped as the filmmakers searched for the right direction. (People.com⁠) Andrews’ decision means fans will not see the familiar grandmother-granddaughter dynamic that helped define the first two movies. However, her legacy as Queen Clarisse remains a major part of the franchise. While her absence may be disappointing, Hathaway appears determined to honor what made the original films special. The challenge now is creating a new chapter that feels familiar without simply repeating the past. After more than two decades, Mia is finally heading back to Genovia. And although Queen Clarisse will not be there in person, the impact Julie Andrews made on the franchise is unlikely to disappear.

  • | | |

    Weekly inflation hits 9.66% amid price surge

    ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s weekly inflation increased during the latest reporting period as higher fuel and food prices pushed up the cost of living, according to the latest report released by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS). The report showed that weekly inflation rose by 0.91%, while the country’s annual inflation rate reached 9.66%, indicating that prices of essential goods continue to remain under pressure despite declines in a few commodities. According to the Bureau of Statistics, prices of 22 essential commodities increased during the past week, while eight items became cheaper and 21 items recorded no change. The sharpest increase was recorded in petroleum products. High-speed diesel became 15.87% more expensive, while the price of petrol increased by 5.23%. The rise in fuel prices is expected to affect transportation costs and may also increase the prices of other goods in the coming weeks. Among food items, tomatoes recorded the highest increase, with prices rising 39.92% in just one week. Egg prices increased by 7.31%, adding to household food expenses. The report also showed that the price of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) increased by 0.91%, while potatoes became 3.70% more expensive. Prices of garlic, beef and several other essential food items also registered increases during the week. Although inflation remained on the rise, consumers received limited relief in the prices of a few commodities. Chicken prices fell by 4.66%, making it one of the biggest weekly declines among food products. Bananas became 1.72% cheaper, while prices of sugar, rice and different varieties of pulses also recorded decreases. Economists say rising fuel prices are one of the major reasons behind the increase in weekly inflation because higher transportation and production costs often lead to price increases across various sectors of the economy. The latest inflation figures suggest that many households continue to face pressure from the rising cost of essential goods, particularly food and fuel. While price reductions in some commodities have provided modest relief, overall inflation remains elevated due to continued increases in several key household items.

  • |

    Iran’s Supreme leader sets ‘Primary Conditions’ for ending war with US

    Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Mojtaba Khamenei has declared that the “preservation of Lebanon’s territorial integrity and the absolute, unconditional termination of the Zionist regime’s aggression are the primary conditions for any agreement to end the imposed war against the aggressive US” . In a letter to Hezbollah’s Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem, the Iranian leader described Hezbollah as standing “like an unyielding rock as the forerunner of groups engaged in jihad against the savage aggression of the Zionist regime and its supporters” . He also affirmed that the Islamic Republic considers the defense of Hezbollah fighters to be its “strategic mandate” . The remarks came as part of a wider diplomatic backdrop, with a trilateral framework agreement signed by the US, Israel, and Lebanon on June 26 establishing a process for the Lebanese Armed Forces to disarm Hezbollah and dismantle its infrastructure in exchange for a gradual Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory . The Khamenei statement follows the June 15 finalization of an Iran-US memorandum of understanding, which brought a permanent halt to military operations on all fronts, including Lebanon, and ended the US naval blockade against Iran . The new trilateral framework agreement has been described by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio as a “first step” on a difficult journey, with a “trust, but verify” mechanism requiring Lebanon to demonstrate that it can effectively rein in Hezbollah . However, the agreement has faced opposition from within Lebanon. Hezbollah lawmaker Hassan Fadlallah warned that Lebanese authorities would not be able to enforce the disarmament commitments without triggering conflict, stating that Hezbollah would “hold on to its weapons even more” . Netanyahu has previously claimed that Israeli forces have pushed Hezbollah back 5 to 8 miles from the border and destroyed approximately 94 percent of its missile arsenal . Nevertheless, with Hezbollah and its Iranian backers setting firm conditions and opposing the framework’s core terms, the path to a final resolution remains fraught with challenges.

  • | |

    Iran says it is ready for war again

    Iran has claimed that it has significantly strengthened its military and defense capabilities during the ceasefire with the United States, warning that its armed forces are fully prepared if diplomacy fails and hostilities resume. Speaking to Iranian state television, a military spokesperson said the armed forces used every moment of the ceasefire to reinforce the country’s defenses. According to the spokesperson, Iran upgraded existing weapons, developed new air defense systems, restored facilities damaged during the conflict, and accelerated work on advanced military technologies. The spokesperson also revealed that Iran deployed a new generation of drones during the recent conflict. While officials did not disclose technical details, they said more information about the drones will be released at a later stage. According to Arab media reports, Iran’s acting defense minister said missile and drone production continued without interruption throughout the ceasefire. He claimed that drone manufacturing has increased to nearly three times its pre-war level, reflecting Tehran’s efforts to rapidly rebuild and expand its military capabilities. The acting defense minister also stated that the Iranian armed forces maintained their command structure despite the deaths of several senior military commanders. He added that revised battlefield strategies enabled Iranian forces to surprise their opponents during the conflict. Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said Iran improved both the production speed and accuracy of its missile program during the ceasefire. However, officials declined to reveal the size of the country’s remaining weapons stockpiles or provide details about military losses suffered during the fighting. Several U.S. media outlets have also reported that Iran still possesses roughly 70 percent of its pre-war missile inventory and about 40 percent of its drone arsenal. Analysts believe those remaining capabilities could allow Tehran to sustain a prolonged campaign of asymmetric warfare if tensions escalate again. Arab media further reported that Iran could soon receive around 400 shoulder-fired air defense missile systems manufactured in China. However, both China and Pakistan have rejected those reports, while Iranian authorities have not issued any official comment on the claim. A former Iranian military commander also argued that thousands of U.S. and Israeli strikes failed to eliminate Iran’s military capabilities. He said the country continues to improve the range, precision, and destructive power of its domestically produced missiles while bringing newly developed weapons from underground missile and drone facilities into operational service. The latest statements highlight Iran’s determination to strengthen its military readiness despite international pressure, while also signaling that Tehran remains prepared for another confrontation if diplomatic efforts with Washington fail.

  • |

    Pakistan petroleum sales jump 23% in July as lower fuel prices boost demand

    Pakistan’s petroleum product sales recorded a significant increase in July 2026, reflecting stronger economic activity, improved agricultural demand, and the impact of lower fuel prices. Industry data released on Monday showed that total petroleum sales reached 1.51 million tons, marking a 23% year-on-year (YoY) increase and the strongest July performance in several years. According to a report by brokerage firm Arif Habib Limited (AHL), the growth was fueled by declining domestic fuel prices, improving conditions in the agriculture sector, and a gradual rebound in economic and automobile-related activity. The report noted that farmers’ purchasing power improved due to better agricultural economics, while lower fuel costs encouraged higher consumption across the country. Excluding furnace oil (FO), sales by oil marketing companies (OMCs) increased 18.5% YoY, making July 2026 the strongest July for petroleum demand since July 2021. Petrol and Diesel Consumption Climbs Demand for motor spirit (MS), commonly known as petrol, remained robust during the month. Petrol sales rose 23% YoY to 0.73 million tons, reflecting increased transportation activity and higher vehicle usage. Meanwhile, high-speed diesel (HSD) sales climbed 19% YoY to 0.62 million tons. Diesel consumption was supported by greater agricultural operations, commercial transportation, and industrial activity as the economy continued its gradual recovery. Furnace Oil Registers Massive Growth Furnace oil sales posted the strongest percentage increase among all petroleum products, surging 406% year-on-year to 0.08 million tons. AHL attributed this sharp rise primarily to increased furnace oil consumption by the power sector, where seasonal electricity demand during the summer months led to greater fuel usage for power generation. Strong Month-on-Month Growth On a month-on-month (MoM) basis, overall petroleum sales also recorded impressive gains, rising 20% compared to June 2026. Analysts said the monthly increase was largely driven by lower domestic petroleum prices, which followed a decline in international crude oil prices as geopolitical tensions eased in global markets. During the month: Petrol (MS) sales increased 12% over June. High-speed diesel (HSD) sales rose 25%. Furnace oil demand jumped 89%, supported by higher electricity generation requirements during peak summer temperatures. PSO Strengthens Market Position Among Pakistan’s oil marketing companies, Pakistan State Oil (PSO) emerged as the strongest performer in July. The company’s total petroleum sales climbed 38% year-on-year to 702,000 tons. Petrol sales increased by 44.1%, while diesel sales rose 40.3%, enabling PSO to expand its presence in the domestic fuel market. According to the report, PSO gained market share at the expense of Gas & Oil Pakistan (GO). GO’s market share in petrol declined to 5%, its lowest level since June 2024, while its diesel market share fell to 7%, the weakest since May 2024. Government Levy Collections Remain on Track The report also estimated that the federal government collected approximately Rs134 billion through the Petroleum Development Levy (PDL) during July. Based on current trends, AHL believes the government remains on course to meet its FY2026-27 PDL collection target of Rs1.68 trillion, representing an increase of nearly 12% compared with the revised target for the previous fiscal year.

  • | | |

    Rana Sanaullah vows to ‘set countdown critics st…

    Adviser to Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah has said that those counting down the government’s tenure will eventually be “set straight” themselves, and their countdown will also be corrected. Addressing a public gathering in Bagh, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Sanaullah said the people were the rightful owners of Pakistan and highlighted the strong bond between Pakistan and Kashmir. “Where in Pakistan are Kashmiris not working?” he asked, adding that Kashmiris enjoy all rights in the country. Sanaullah said Pakistan was incomplete without Kashmir and stressed that no force could weaken the longstanding relationship between Pakistan and Kashmir. The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader also claimed that four PML-N candidates would be elected to the legislative assembly in the upcoming election, which is scheduled to take place in two days. He said the PML-N needed only six more seats to secure a two-thirds majority in the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Assembly. Referring to the ongoing political activities and the action committee, Sanaullah said many people associated with the committee were their “brothers” and patriotic citizens. His remarks came as political parties intensified campaigning ahead of the Azad Jammu and Kashmir elections, with competing groups seeking to secure a strong mandate in the upcoming polls.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *