iranus economic pressure
| |

Iran-US economic pressure war intensifies over Strait of Hormuz

KARACHI: The economic pressure battle between Iran and the United States is intensifying, with both sides seeking to force the other to back down. The key question now is which side will yield first under mounting economic pressure.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the conflict between Iran and the US has expanded beyond the military front and turned into an intense economic confrontation. Both countries are using financial and economic measures in an attempt to gain leverage over the other.

The Trump administration has increased sanctions and economic pressure on Iran. Washington has also made lowering global oil prices one of its key objectives in the conflict.

US officials are reportedly considering imposing unusually severe financial sanctions on Iran. The measures are aimed at putting greater pressure on Tehran and forcing it to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global oil shipments.

Iran, meanwhile, believes that the closure of the Strait of Hormuz and persistently high global oil prices could eventually increase pressure on Washington. Tehran expects the economic impact of higher oil prices to push the US to reconsider or soften its policy towards Iran.

The developments have added a major economic dimension to the ongoing confrontation between the two countries. Both Washington and Tehran appear to be relying on economic pressure as a tool to achieve their strategic objectives.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Perez Hilton hospitalized after livestream sparks emergency response

    Perez Hilton is receiving medical care after a livestream on Tuesday triggered an emergency response at his Miami-area home. The video, later removed, showed the celebrity blogger appearing to harm himself while viewers watched online. The Miami-Dade Sheriff’s Office confirmed deputies responded to reports of someone livestreaming self-harm on social media. Their initial statement did not name Hilton directly. A follow-up statement confirmed the person involved was safely recovered. He was then taken to a local hospital for treatment. According to details from the scene, Hilton was alone inside his residence at the time. His children and other family members were not present. Deputies arrived with multiple patrol vehicles and set up yellow tape around the neighbourhood. They later confirmed with family members that he was alone inside. The Sheriff’s Office added that in cases involving a mental health crisis or active self-harm, deputies focus on de-escalation. They said this involves creating time, distance and space for communication. The goal is to avoid immediate confrontation wherever possible. Golden Artists Entertainment, the talent management firm representing Hilton, said it was aware of the circulating content. The co-CEOs said Hilton and his family’s wellbeing was their main concern right now. They added that despite ongoing efforts, they had not yet been able to reach him directly. Hilton, 48, first became known in the early 2000s as a celebrity gossip blogger. He built one of the internet’s most-read entertainment sites during that era. He is a father of three children, all born via surrogacy. He had recently announced a move back to Miami from Las Vegas. This came shortly after a hospital stay earlier this year. The incident has sparked concern among fans and fellow public figures online. Many have shared messages of support and called for privacy during his recovery. As of now, further updates on his condition have not been released. Authorities and his team have not commented further on what led to the livestream.

  • | |

    Egypt’s Salman Khalil defeats Pakistan’s Nasir Iqbal 

      Egypt’s Salman Khalil emerged victorious at the PN Fleet Club Open International Squash Championship after defeating Pakistan’s Nasir Iqbal in a thrilling final held at the Pakistan Navy Roshan Khan-Jahangir Khan Squash Complex in Karachi. The prestigious tournament, organized by the Sindh Squash Association, concluded with an impressive display of world-class squash and highlighted the growing of the event. Third-seeded Salman Khalil from Egypt outclassed Pakistan’s experienced player Nasir Iqbal in straight games to claim the championship title. Khalil secured the victory with game scores of 14-12, 11-3, and 13-11, demonstrating remarkable consistency, skill, and composure throughout the contest. Although Nasir Iqbal fought hard and received strong support from the home crowd, he was unable to overcome the Egyptian’s aggressive play and tactical brilliance. The final attracted several distinguished guests from Pakistan’s sports and military communities. Commander Karachi, Vice Admiral Faisal Amin, attended the event as the chief guest and distributed prizes among the winners and runners-up. The ceremony was also graced by the presence of Pakistan’s squash legend and former world champion Jahangir Khan, along with former Governor of Sindh Moinuddin Haider, who praised the high standard of competition and encouraged young players to pursue excellence in the sport. The championship featured a total prize purse of US$41,000 making it one of the most significant squash tournaments held in Pakistan this year. The event attracted talented players from different countries and provided local athletes with an opportunity to compete against international opponents on home soil. Speaking at the closing ceremony, Vice Admiral Faisal Amin expressed his satisfaction over the successful organization of the tournament. He said that hosting an international squash championship of this caliber was a positive step for Pakistan’s sporting landscape. He reaffirmed the Pakistan Navy’s commitment to promoting sports and supporting athletes through the organization of national and international competitions. According to him, such events help revive Pakistan’s rich sporting traditions while inspiring the younger generation to participate in healthy and competitive activities. Sindh Squash Association President Adnan Asad also addressed the audience during the prize distribution ceremony. He revealed that several more high-prize-money squash tournaments are being planned in the near future. He emphasized that the responsibility now lies with the players to work hard, improve their skills, and seize the opportunities being created for them. Asad expressed confidence that regular international competitions would contribute significantly to the development of Pakistani squash. Former world champion Jahangir Khan shared his hopes for the future of Pakistani squash. He said he dreams of seeing Pakistani players qualify for the Los Angeles Olympic Games and ultimately win the country’s first Olympic gold medal in squash. Jahangir stressed that achieving such success would require unwavering dedication, discipline, and hard work. He urged young players to focus solely on their training and performance if they aspire to become legends like Jahangir Khan and Jansher Khan, whose achievements once made Pakistan the dominant force in world squash. The successful conclusion of the PN Fleet Club Open International Squash Championship reflects Pakistan’s continued efforts to revive its historic legacy in squash by hosting international competitions, nurturing emerging talent, and providing athletes with valuable exposure at the highest level.

  • | |

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino withdraws FIFA forward enterprise proposal

      FIFA President Gianni Infantino has officially announced the withdrawal of the proposed FIFA Forward Enterprise initiative after facing significant opposition from stakeholders, saying the project no longer serves the best interests of global football. In an official statement, Infantino confirmed that the FIFA Forward proposal has been formally abandoned and that no further work or discussions will be carried out regarding the initiative. “The FIFA Forward project has officially come to an end, and there will be no further progress on the proposals,” Infantino said. According to the FIFA president, the plan—which was linked to broader investment ideas surrounding the FIFA World Cup—had become increasingly divisive within the international football community. Rather than bringing football stakeholders together, the proposal had created disagreement among member associations and other interested parties. Infantino acknowledged that the growing differences of opinion convinced FIFA’s leadership that continuing with the project would not benefit the sport. “The World Cup investment proposal has led to divisions within football, and it is no longer in the game’s best interests to continue pursuing it,” he stated. He emphasized that the FIFA Forward Enterprise initiative was always intended to move forward only if it received the support of a clear majority of FIFA’s member associations. Since that level of consensus was no longer evident, FIFA decided to discontinue the proposal altogether. “The project was always dependent on the backing of the majority of FIFA’s member countries,” Infantino explained. “After carefully listening to the views and concerns expressed by all parties involved, we have concluded that the proposal should not proceed.” The FIFA president stressed that the decision reflected the organization’s commitment to consultation, transparency, and unity within world football. He said FIFA had taken into account the opinions of national football associations, confederations, and other stakeholders before reaching its final conclusion. Infantino reiterated that FIFA’s primary objective has always been to strengthen the global game rather than create unnecessary disagreements. “Our mission has always been to promote unity and improve football around the world,” he said. “That commitment remains unchanged, and we believe this decision is in the best interests of the sport.” Looking ahead, Infantino expressed hope that all stakeholders would once again work together to address the challenges facing international football. He said FIFA intends to bring all relevant parties back to the negotiating table to explore new ideas and initiatives that enjoy broader support across the football community. “We will continue engaging with all stakeholders to find common ground and develop solutions that benefit football globally,” he said. Despite shelving the FIFA Forward Enterprise proposal, Infantino assured member associations that FIFA remains fully committed to supporting football development, particularly in countries where additional investment and infrastructure are needed. He emphasized that expanding access to the sport, improving facilities, and creating opportunities for young players around the world will remain central to FIFA’s long-term strategy. “Our mission to promote and develop football in countries that need greater support will continue,” Infantino concluded. “We remain committed to investing in the future of the game and ensuring that football continues to grow in every region of the world.” The decision marks a significant shift in FIFA’s strategic planning and underscores the organization’s willingness to reconsider major initiatives when they fail to achieve broad consensus among its global membership.

  • | |

    Irina Shayk finds new boyfriend after parting ways…

    Supermodel Irina Shayk appears to be embracing a new chapter in her love life. Nearly three years after her brief romance with former NFL star Tom Brady ended, the Russian model is reportedly dating NBA player Devin Booker. According to multiple reports, the relationship is still in its early stages, but those close to the pair say the connection is growing stronger with each passing week.  Sources claim Shayk and Booker were introduced through mutual friends several months ago. Since then, they have been spending time together whenever their busy schedules allow. With Booker preparing for the upcoming NBA season, the two are reportedly making the most of the summer, enjoying low-key outings and getting to know each other away from the public eye.  Romance rumors intensified after the pair were spotted together in the Hamptons over the weekend. Witnesses reportedly saw them leaving a café before later attending a social gathering in Montauk. While neither Shayk nor Booker has confirmed the relationship publicly, insiders say the model is “very into him” and may even attend some of his basketball games once the season begins.  The reported romance comes after Shayk’s short-lived relationship with Tom Brady, which first made headlines in the summer of 2023. The pair dated for a few months before quietly going their separate ways. At the time, sources described the split as amicable, saying the relationship had simply “fizzled out” without any drama or hard feelings.  Before Brady, Shayk was in a long-term relationship with actor Bradley Cooper, with whom she shares daughter Lea De Seine. Despite ending their romance in 2019, the former couple have maintained a friendly co-parenting relationship and have often been praised for putting their daughter first.  Booker, meanwhile, was previously in a high-profile relationship with reality star Kendall Jenner. The NBA standout has largely kept his personal life private since their split, making the reported romance with Shayk one of his first public dating stories in recent years.  Although neither Shayk nor Booker has addressed the reports directly, those close to the couple say they are enjoying the early stages of their relationship without rushing into the spotlight. For now, the pair seem content to let their romance develop naturally, proving that sometimes the best relationships begin quietly before capturing the world’s attention. 

  • | | | |

    Trump welcomes Makkah joint defence agreement

    US President Donald Trump has welcomed the joint defence agreement signed by Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye. He described the development as a positive step towards greater unity in the Middle East. In a statement, Trump said he was pleased to see Saudi Arabia, Türkiye and Pakistan sign the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement. He said the agreement could help the three countries strengthen their ability to protect themselves against security threats. Trump said the agreement reflected growing cooperation among countries in the region. He added that the Middle East was becoming more united. According to him, stronger cooperation would allow countries to defend themselves more effectively. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye recently signed the joint defence pact. The agreement aims to increase cooperation between the three countries in defence and security matters. Under the agreement, an armed attack against any one of the three countries will be treated as an attack against all three. This provision is intended to create a stronger collective defence mechanism. The pact is also aimed at improving coordination between the armed forces of Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Türkiye. The countries are expected to enhance their defence cooperation and work together in dealing with potential threats. The agreement comes amid growing security concerns in the Middle East and wider regional tensions. The three countries have maintained close political and strategic ties and have expressed interest in expanding cooperation in various fields. The Makkah agreement is expected to provide a framework for deeper defence coordination. It could also lead to greater military cooperation, joint planning and closer security coordination among the three countries.

  • | |

    Justice Shahid Karim’s retirement to leave 21 va…

      A spokesperson has confirmed that Justice Shahid Karim is currently ranked sixth on the seniority list of judges serving at the Lahore High Court. His position on the seniority roster reflects his extensive judicial experience and years of service within Pakistan’s higher judiciary. According to the spokesperson, Justice Shahid Karim has been hearing cases related to smog prevention and environmental pollution for the past several years. During this period, he has presided over numerous hearings concerning environmental protection, air quality, and measures aimed at reducing the harmful effects of smog, particularly in Punjab. His courtroom has become a focal point for addressing environmental issues that have increasingly affected public health and the quality of life in the province. Justice Karim has been widely recognized for taking an active interest in environmental matters. Under his supervision, various government departments have been directed to implement policies and practical measures to tackle air pollution and improve environmental standards. His hearings have often involved officials from environmental agencies, local governments, industries, and other stakeholders responsible for ensuring compliance with environmental regulations. The issue of smog has become one of the most pressing environmental challenges in Pakistan, especially during the winter months, when air quality deteriorates significantly due to industrial emissions, vehicle exhaust, crop residue burning, and unfavorable weather conditions. Through his judicial oversight, Justice Shahid Karim has consistently emphasized the need for coordinated action among government institutions to protect public health and reduce environmental degradation. The spokesperson further stated that Justice Shahid Karim’s retirement will create another vacancy in the Lahore High Court. Following his retirement, the total number of vacant judicial positions at the court will rise to 21. This increase in vacancies is expected to place additional pressure on the existing judges, who already manage a heavy workload involving thousands of pending civil, criminal, constitutional, and administrative cases. Judicial vacancies are a matter of concern because they can contribute to delays in the disposal of cases and increase the burden on the remaining members of the bench. Legal experts have frequently stressed the importance of filling vacant judicial positions promptly to ensure timely access to justice and maintain the efficient functioning of the court system. The retirement of a senior judge such as Justice Shahid Karim is also significant because of the experience and expertise he brings to the judiciary. Over the years, he has handled a wide range of important legal matters, but his role in environmental litigation has particularly distinguished his judicial career. His decisions and observations have highlighted the importance of environmental conservation, sustainable development, and government accountability in addressing pollution-related challenges. With his departure from the bench, authorities are expected to initiate the process of appointing new judges to fill the growing number of vacancies in the Lahore High Court. These appointments will be important in ensuring that the court continues to function effectively and that the backlog of pending cases does not increase further. Justice Shahid Karim’s retirement marks the end of an important chapter in the Lahore High Court’s judicial history. His contributions, particularly in the field of environmental justice and smog control, have had a lasting impact on legal and policy discussions surrounding environmental protection in Pakistan. As the Lahore High Court prepares for this transition, the appointment of qualified judges will be essential to maintaining the efficiency, credibility, and effectiveness of the judicial system.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *