bilawal begins consultations
| |

Bilawal begins consultations after JAAC backs reco…

PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has announced that he has received a response from the banned Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) regarding his proposal to establish a Truth and Reconciliation Commission to address the ongoing crisis in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK). He said the response marked an important step towards finding a peaceful and institutional solution to the unrest.

In a statement issued on Saturday, Bilawal said the committee had shown willingness to consider the proposed commission. He welcomed the response and said it reflected support for resolving the dispute through dialogue rather than confrontation. He added that the proposal had already been endorsed by the Azad Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.

The PPP chairman said the loss of every life during the recent unrest was a national tragedy. He stressed that his foremost priority was to help restore peace, reduce tensions, and bring normal life back to the people of AJK as soon as possible.

Bilawal said the next stage would involve consultations with AJK Prime Minister Faisal Mumtaz Rathore. He explained that the prime minister would hold discussions with the federal government and other relevant stakeholders to determine whether sufficient consensus exists to move forward with the proposed commission.

According to Bilawal, these consultations are necessary before any final decision is taken. He expressed hope that all parties would work together to develop a mutually acceptable framework capable of addressing the concerns raised during the recent protests.

The proposal comes after weeks of political tension between the AJK government and the Joint Awami Action Committee. The dispute intensified over the committee’s demand to abolish the 12 seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly reserved for refugees from Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir who settled in Pakistan after 1947. The disagreement led to widespread demonstrations across the region and increased political uncertainty.

Bilawal has repeatedly called for the establishment of an independent Truth and Reconciliation Commission over the past month. He believes such a body could impartially investigate the recent violence, determine the facts surrounding the unrest, and help create conditions for meaningful dialogue between the government and protesters.

Speaking at a public gathering in Muzaffarabad earlier this week, Bilawal said maintaining peace, fairness, and transparency was essential during the election period. He argued that resolving the crisis should not be viewed as a political victory or defeat for any party but as a national responsibility aimed at protecting the future of Kashmir and safeguarding Pakistan’s position on the Kashmir issue.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    9 fall ill after eating sweets celebrating baby’…

    BAHAWALPUR: Nine people, including children, fell ill after consuming sweets purchased to celebrate the birth of a baby in Bahawalpur’s Head Rajkan area. According to family sources, the sweets were bought from a nearby shop as part of the celebrations. Shortly after eating them, several family members developed health problems and were taken to Bahawal Victoria Hospital for treatment. Four children received medical care at the hospital, while the other affected individuals were also treated by doctors. Hospital sources said the condition of all nine patients is stable and they are out of danger. Authorities have yet to confirm whether the sweets were contaminated or identify the exact cause of the illness.

  • | |

    Punjab Govt, PPP on collision course after Azma Bo…

      Azma accuses PPP of disrespecting elders as Bilawal faces sharp attack. PPP’s Lahore convention plans halted after govt denies approval. Punjab’s ruling PML-N and the Pakistan Peoples Party appeared to be on a collision course on Friday, as a sharp verbal attack by a senior provincial minister coincided with the sudden halting of PPP convention preparations in Lahore, leaving the two parties at odds on multiple fronts. Punjab Minister for Information and Culture Azma Bokhari strongly criticised PPP spokespersons, saying they should choose their words carefully and learn to respect their elders. She said it was ironic that people she described as coming from a “blackmailing mandate” were now taunting others.  Bokhari said PPP leaders repeatedly mock a person old enough to be their father by making faces and chanting “Raiwind, Raiwind.” She asked whether PPP leaders did not consider it disrespectful when their own leader ridicules someone of a father’s age. She said PPP leaders had turned Raiwind into a subject of mockery and routinely insult senior figures through their gestures and remarks.The minister warned that if such language continued, it would be met with an appropriate response. She said Bilawal Bhutto was not a figure beyond criticism. She further accused him of repeatedly naming Punjab’s cities in his speeches to spread what she called falsehoods and misleading propaganda, questioning whether his conduct was serious at all. The sharp exchange came on the same day that preparations for a PPP workers’ convention at Greater Iqbal Park were halted. The Lahore district administration said the party had not secured formal written permission for the event, even though a stage and other arrangements were already in place. The convention had been planned for July 25, ahead of celebrations marking President Asif Ali Zardari’s birthday on July 26.  District authorities questioned why preparations had begun without official approval and asked PPP leadership to explain. Lahore PPP President Faisal Mir said the party had moved ahead after receiving verbal assurances from the Punjab Chief Minister’s Office that there was no objection to the event. He said preparations were made in good faith, but officials later stepped in and stopped the work.Mir criticised the administration, saying access to the venue had been restricted and vehicles carrying chairs and other equipment had been blocked from reaching the site. He said the party remained committed to holding the convention peacefully and said he was ready to face arrest if needed.The Chief Minister’s Office did not comment on claims that approval had been given through the chief minister’s principal secretary. PPP leaders shared videos on social media showing workers, the stage and seating arrangements already prepared, signalling the party’s intent to proceed regardless.Party sources admitted that written permission had not been obtained but argued that verbal approval was enough to begin preparations. They said local police had been informed of the gathering in advance.The convention was expected to feature PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari addressing workers through video link, along with senior leaders including Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, Hassan Murtaza and Qamar Zaman Kaira. Officials said permission could still be granted if formalities were completed, but noted that approving the event without standard procedure could complicate similar requests from other parties, including the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, which is seeking permission for a Lahore gathering next month.Taken together, the harsh words from Bokhari and the administrative roadblock facing PPP’s convention point to a provincial government and opposition party growing increasingly hostile toward one another, with neither side showing signs of backing down.

  • |

    Trump rejects Justice Department findings on Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool damage

    US President Donald Trump has publicly rejected the findings of his own Justice Department after federal prosecutors concluded that construction problems, rather than vandalism, were responsible for damage to the recently renovated Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington. In a post on his Truth Social platform on Saturday, Trump said he strongly disagreed with US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro and insisted that vandals were responsible for the damage. He argued that although there may have been issues with the construction work, the main cause of the deterioration was deliberate vandalism. The disagreement follows a court filing submitted on Friday by Jeanine Pirro and Assistant US Attorney Michael Spence, who asked a judge to dismiss the government’s case against David Hearn, a 67 year old former Olympian. Hearn had been accused of damaging the Reflecting Pool, an allegation that became part of a wider debate over the Trump administration’s renovation project in the nation’s capital. According to the filing, newly received documents from the Department of the Interior showed that the problems were linked to a rushed and defective installation process. Prosecutors said the pool’s lining experienced repeated failures during construction and that extensive peeling occurred across the surface because of installation defects rather than intentional damage. The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool underwent a renovation costing around 14.7 million dollars. Soon after the project was completed, the site experienced several problems, including algae growth that turned the water green and sections of the blue lining peeling away. The issues attracted public criticism and raised questions about the quality of the renovation work. Throughout the controversy, Trump repeatedly claimed that vandals had deliberately damaged the pool. Following the Justice Department’s decision to withdraw the case, he continued to defend that position. In another social media post, the president shared previously released video footage from the US Park Police that he said supported his claim. He argued that the footage showed people damaging the Reflecting Pool while maintenance workers were cleaning algae from the water. However, the video does not clearly show acts of vandalism. It remains unclear whether the individuals seen in the footage were intentionally damaging the lining or simply handling material that had already begun peeling because of the reported construction flaws. The Justice Department has not publicly responded to Trump’s criticism. Jeanine Pirro’s office also did not immediately comment on the president’s remarks. The dispute highlights a rare public disagreement between President Trump and his own administration’s legal team. While federal prosecutors have concluded that faulty construction caused the damage, the president continues to argue that criminal vandalism was primarily responsible, keeping the controversy surrounding the renovation project in the public spotlight.

  • |

    Chelsea sign Valentin Barco on seven-year contract

    Chelsea have continued their active summer transfer business by completing the signing of Argentine defender and midfielder Valentin Barco on a seven-year contract. The 22-year-old becomes the club’s seventh signing of the current transfer window, further highlighting Chelsea’s determination to strengthen the squad ahead of the new season under head coach Xabi Alonso. Barco arrives from French side Strasbourg, becoming the second player to make the move from the Ligue 1 club to Stamford Bridge this summer after striker Emmanuel Emegha. The transfer also adds to the growing number of deals completed between Chelsea and Strasbourg since both clubs came under the same ownership group. Since the beginning of last season, the two clubs have conducted several player transfers as part of their long-term sporting strategy. Known for his versatility, Barco is capable of playing as a left-back, wing-back or central midfielder. His technical ability, attacking mindset and composure on the ball have made him one of Argentina’s promising young talents. Chelsea believe his flexibility will provide valuable options across multiple positions during the upcoming campaign. Barco is no stranger to English football. He previously joined Brighton & Hove Albion but struggled to establish himself in the Premier League. Seeking regular first-team football, he moved to Strasbourg on loan in 2024 before making the switch permanent the following year. His performances in France helped Strasbourg secure qualification for the UEFA Conference League, with Barco becoming one of the team’s standout performers. His consistent displays earned praise for his defensive work, creativity and ability to contribute in attack. On the international stage, Barco has also continued to build his reputation. He was part of Argentina’s squad that reached the FIFA World Cup final, gaining valuable experience alongside some of the country’s biggest stars. During the tournament, he attracted attention after an emotional exchange with England midfielder Jude Bellingham following Argentina’s passionate celebrations in front of England’s players after the semi-final victory. Chelsea’s latest signing reflects the club’s continued focus on recruiting young players with significant long-term potential. The Blues have invested heavily in emerging talent in recent transfer windows, aiming to build a squad capable of competing for major honours over the coming years. Barco joins a growing list of new arrivals at Stamford Bridge this summer. Chelsea recently confirmed the signing of experienced striker Danny Welbeck from Brighton, adding leadership and attacking depth to the squad. The club have also strengthened their defence with the arrival of Maxence Lacroix from Crystal Palace, while Morgan Rogers has joined from Aston Villa to boost the attacking midfield options. In addition to those signings, Chelsea have secured the services of Marco Palestra, Emmanuel Emegha and Geovany Quenda as part of their extensive recruitment drive. With pre-season preparations continuing, Chelsea hope the arrival of Barco and several other new faces will help the team adapt quickly to Xabi Alonso’s tactical approach. Expectations are high as the Blues look to challenge strongly in domestic competitions while returning to the top level of European football. Barco’s versatility, energy and international experience are expected to make him an important addition as Chelsea prepare for the new season.

  • Thai Street Coconut Pancake ‘Khanom Khrok’ Earns Spot Among World’s Best Desserts

    BANGKOK — Khanom khrok, the beloved Thai coconut pancake that has graced street corners and markets for generations, has earned international recognition by ranking among the world’s 100 best desserts for 2026 in an online survey conducted by TasteAtlas, the widely recognized “World Food Atlas.” Thai mango sticky rice dessert craze grows as embassies join […]

  • |

    US Department of Defence orders swift ramp-up in weapons manufacturing as conflict with Iran strains stockpiles

    The United States Department of Defence has called on defence contractors to accelerate weapons production amidst growing anxiety over dwindling military stockpiles as hostilities with Iran persist. Deputy Secretary of Defence Steve Feinberg issued a formal directive on Wednesday, setting a 21-day deadline for defence industry leaders to deliver proposals aimed at driving significantly faster delivery timelines and boosting output for critical capabilities. The directive was initially revealed by The Washington Post following heightened scrutiny regarding the condition of US weapons reserves during the ongoing conflict. Spokesperson for the Department of Defence Sean Parnell verified the authenticity of the directive, noting that the submissions will directly shape the Pentagon’s budget request for fiscal year 2028. “The August 5 memo is real,” Parnell stated. “It will inform the fiscal year 2028 budget submitted to Congress for funding, and it is entirely consistent with our ongoing push to rebuild the defence industrial base.” Parnell added that direct engagement with weapons manufacturers is routine practice, defending the administration’s aggressive measures to expedite procurement schedules. He detailed that Feinberg is actively working to overhaul what he characterized as a broken, outdated, and overly intricate procurement framework, ensuring the military retains the capability to produce equipment at a pace that matches modern threat levels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *