trump rejects justice
|

Trump rejects Justice Department findings on Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool damage

US President Donald Trump has publicly rejected the findings of his own Justice Department after federal prosecutors concluded that construction problems, rather than vandalism, were responsible for damage to the recently renovated Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in Washington.

In a post on his Truth Social platform on Saturday, Trump said he strongly disagreed with US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro and insisted that vandals were responsible for the damage. He argued that although there may have been issues with the construction work, the main cause of the deterioration was deliberate vandalism.

The disagreement follows a court filing submitted on Friday by Jeanine Pirro and Assistant US Attorney Michael Spence, who asked a judge to dismiss the government’s case against David Hearn, a 67 year old former Olympian. Hearn had been accused of damaging the Reflecting Pool, an allegation that became part of a wider debate over the Trump administration’s renovation project in the nation’s capital.

According to the filing, newly received documents from the Department of the Interior showed that the problems were linked to a rushed and defective installation process. Prosecutors said the pool’s lining experienced repeated failures during construction and that extensive peeling occurred across the surface because of installation defects rather than intentional damage.

The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool underwent a renovation costing around 14.7 million dollars. Soon after the project was completed, the site experienced several problems, including algae growth that turned the water green and sections of the blue lining peeling away. The issues attracted public criticism and raised questions about the quality of the renovation work.

Throughout the controversy, Trump repeatedly claimed that vandals had deliberately damaged the pool. Following the Justice Department’s decision to withdraw the case, he continued to defend that position. In another social media post, the president shared previously released video footage from the US Park Police that he said supported his claim. He argued that the footage showed people damaging the Reflecting Pool while maintenance workers were cleaning algae from the water.

However, the video does not clearly show acts of vandalism. It remains unclear whether the individuals seen in the footage were intentionally damaging the lining or simply handling material that had already begun peeling because of the reported construction flaws.

The Justice Department has not publicly responded to Trump’s criticism. Jeanine Pirro’s office also did not immediately comment on the president’s remarks.

The dispute highlights a rare public disagreement between President Trump and his own administration’s legal team. While federal prosecutors have concluded that faulty construction caused the damage, the president continues to argue that criminal vandalism was primarily responsible, keeping the controversy surrounding the renovation project in the public spotlight.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Wafflix owner found dead after alleged abduction

    The owner of popular dessert chain Wafflix was found dead in Gulistan-e-Jauhar days after he was allegedly kidnapped from his home in Karachi’s PECHS area. The victim was identified as 25-year-old Mir Raza Ali, son of Mir Hassan Ali. He lived in PECHS Block 2 and operated Wafflix near Bahadurabad Chowrangi. Police recovered Raza’s body from bushes near Shadi Qila wedding hall in Gulistan-e-Jauhar Block 1 on Wednesday. The body was shifted to Jinnah Hospital for a post-mortem examination. Investigators said the body appeared to be one to two days old. They also found apparent burn marks on parts of the body, which had made identification difficult. Raza’s father reportedly identified him through his clothes. Police also found a mark on the victim’s back. Authorities said the exact cause of death would be established through the post-mortem report. Ferozabad police said preliminary findings indicated that Raza may have been subjected to torture before being shot. Station House Officer Kamran Qureshi said investigators were collecting CCTV footage from cameras around the wedding hall to identify and trace the suspects. A kidnapping case had already been registered at Ferozabad Police Station on Tuesday following a complaint by Raza’s father. According to the initial police report, Raza returned home from his shop during the night between July 27 and 28. At around 4am, he told his mother that he was going outside for around 10 minutes. He never returned. His mother later tried calling his mobile phone, but it had been switched off. The family searched for him and contacted Madadgar 15 before approaching the police. The case was registered against unidentified suspects, while police launched an investigation into the alleged abduction and subsequent killing. The death of the young entrepreneur sparked grief among people who knew him. Condolences and messages of concern spread on social media, with many also raising questions about the worsening security situation in Karachi.

  • |

    Ariana Grande plans secret project before stepping away

    Ariana Grande is reportedly preparing a special surprise for her fans as she gets ready to take a break from public-facing work following her Eternal Sunshine Tour. The 33-year-old singer recently revealed that she plans to step away from the spotlight after completing her current tour. Ariana explained that the decision came after years of dealing with intense and ongoing public scrutiny. She has also withdrawn from the upcoming production of Sunday in the Park with George, with her role expected to be recast. Despite her decision to take a break, Ariana is said to be planning one final project connected to her current tour. Reports suggest that the singer intends to film her London performances and turn them into a special that could allow fans to relive the Eternal Sunshine era. The project would reportedly serve as a lasting memory of her return to the stage. Ariana is believed to have been surprised by how much she enjoyed performing again after previously thinking she might never tour in the future. The special could also become a meaningful gift for her supporters as she takes time away from public life. Ariana has repeatedly expressed her appreciation for the fans who have supported her throughout her career and during her latest musical chapter. Earlier this week, the singer completed the North American leg of her tour and shared an emotional message with her followers. She expressed deep gratitude for the experience and said that the past few months had been incredibly special, joyful and fulfilling. Ariana also assured fans that her decision to step away was not made impulsively or because of negative reactions surrounding her career. During a recent concert, she explained that the hiatus had been part of a plan she had quietly considered for a long time. The pop star emphasized that the decision came from a thoughtful and empowered place rather than from frustration. She also addressed concerns that public criticism or negativity had damaged her enjoyment of performing. According to Ariana, the opposite was true. She made it clear that she has genuinely loved being back on stage and has valued the connection she has shared with her audience throughout the tour. The singer’s decision marks a significant change after years of maintaining a highly visible career in music, film and television. Before the Eternal Sunshine Tour, Ariana’s last major world tour was the Sweetener World Tour in 2019. That tour became a major moment in her career and was later turned into a concert film released on Netflix. Her latest tour has similarly attracted considerable attention, making a filmed London performance a fitting way to preserve the experience. While Ariana has not publicly confirmed details about the reported project, fans are now eagerly waiting to see whether the Eternal Sunshine Tour will receive its own official concert special. For now, Ariana appears focused on completing this chapter of her career before taking the time she feels she needs away from the public eye.

  • |

    Global oil prices decline as OPEC cuts 2026 demand forecast

    Global crude oil prices fell by more than $1 a barrel on Thursday after a period of gains, as concerns over weaker oil consumption in 2026 outweighed ongoing supply risks linked to the conflict in the Middle East. Brent crude futures declined by $1.29, or around 1.5%, to $87.69 per barrel, while US West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude dropped $1.30, or about 1.6%, to $81.97 per barrel. Market sentiment was pressured by fresh estimates indicating that global oil demand could grow more slowly than previously expected next year. The weaker demand outlook has encouraged investors to reassess the strength of the oil market despite continued uncertainty over supplies from the Middle East. The latest decline came after the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) lowered its forecast for global oil demand growth in 2026 to 580,000 barrels per day in its monthly oil market report. This marks the fourth consecutive reduction in the organisation’s demand-growth projection. The ongoing conflict involving Iran and the United States and Israel has disrupted energy supplies and shipping routes, creating significant uncertainty in international oil markets. However, analysts say the economic and logistical disruptions are also weighing on fuel consumption and broader global demand. Despite the latest decline, supply concerns continue to provide some support to crude prices. Traders remain focused on developments in the Middle East, particularly the impact of the conflict on oil production, exports and major shipping routes. Analysts are therefore expecting continued volatility in global oil prices as markets balance two opposing factors: the risk of supply shortages caused by geopolitical tensions and the possibility of weaker demand resulting from disruptions to economic activity. The latest OPEC forecast is likely to remain an important factor for investors in the coming sessions, particularly as traders assess whether weaker demand can offset the supply risks currently affecting the global energy market.

  • |

    Javeria Saud calls out obsession with surgeries and size-zero

    Pakistani actress and television host Javeria Saud has spoken openly about the growing obsession with cosmetic procedures, beauty filters, and extremely slim body figures among women. Known for her outspoken personality and candid views, the actress recently addressed the topic during a podcast, where she questioned the pressure many women feel to change their natural appearance. Javeria Saud has remained a familiar face in the Pakistani entertainment industry for years. Alongside acting and hosting, she has also worked as a producer and earned recognition for her performances in several popular television dramas, including Yeh Zindagi Hai, Nand, Paristan, Baby Baji, Baby Baji Ki Bahuwain, and Muhabbat Starangi. She has also been appreciated for her appearances in projects such as Bajjo and Muhabbat Aur Mehngai. During the podcast, Javeria discussed how beauty standards have changed and how social media has contributed to people’s desire to alter their looks. She revealed that even her own children do not approve when she uses filters on her pictures. According to Javeria, her children often question why she feels the need to use filters and remind her that people should be comfortable with the way they were naturally created. She shared that her children have even gone as far as deleting the application she uses for editing her pictures. However, she humorously admitted that she eventually downloads the app again. The actress also criticized what she described as an increasing fascination with Bollywood-inspired beauty standards. She claimed that many women in Pakistan want to resemble famous Indian actresses such as Kajol, Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif, which can lead some of them to consider cosmetic procedures or other ways of changing their facial features. Javeria also spoke about the pressure surrounding body size, particularly the trend of trying to achieve a “size-zero” figure. She questioned the idea that becoming extremely thin automatically makes a person more attractive. She particularly expressed concern about women over the age of 30 who follow strict diets in an attempt to become extremely slim. According to her, excessive dieting can result in the loss of muscle and collagen, which may affect a person’s overall appearance and make them look unhealthy rather than glamorous. Using a humorous comparison, Javeria said that women can end up looking like a “dehydrated mango” when they lose too much weight and their skin and body lose their natural fullness. Her comments have once again highlighted the ongoing conversation around beauty standards, cosmetic enhancements, social media filters and body image. While cosmetic procedures and dieting remain personal choices, Javeria’s remarks encourage women to reconsider the pressure to achieve unrealistic beauty ideals and to appreciate their natural appearance.

  • |

    Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of Sri Lanka Tests

    NEW DELHI: India have been dealt a significant setback ahead of their two-match Test series against Sri Lanka after star fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah was ruled out with a knee injury, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed on Monday. Bumrah, widely regarded as India’s pace spearhead, has not fully recovered from the left knee injury he sustained during the One-Day International series against England last month. In a statement, the BCCI said the 32-year-old remains unavailable for selection as he continues his rehabilitation. Bumrah has not bowled competitively since the second ODI against England in Cardiff on July 16, where he suffered the injury.   His absence is a major setback for India, particularly with the challenging conditions expected in Sri Lanka, where Bumrah’s experience and ability to strike with the new ball have often made the difference in Test matches.   Replacing him in the 15-member squad is promising fast bowler Aquib Nabi, who receives his maiden senior international call-up after an impressive run in domestic cricket. The 29-year-old pacer from Jammu and Kashmir has emerged as one of India’s brightest bowling prospects, claiming 104 wickets across the last two Ranji Trophy seasons. He also impressed during India A’s recent tour of Sri Lanka, taking six wickets in two first-class matches, performances that earned him a place in the senior squad. India, led by Shubman Gill, will play a warm-up match before the opening Test begins in Galle on August 15. The second and final Test is scheduled to be played in Colombo from August 23 to 27. The series now presents a golden opportunity for Nabi to showcase his talent on the international stage, while India will hope their emerging pace attack can compensate for the absence of one of the world’s premier fast bowlers. With Bumrah sidelined and a new face joining the squad, all eyes will be on India’s bowling unit as the visitors aim to begin their Sri Lanka campaign on a winning note. India squad Shubman Gill (capt), KL Rahul (vice-captain), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Rishabh Pant (wk), Sai Sudharsan*, Dhruv Jurel (wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Manav Suthar, Mohammed Siraj, Prasidh Krishna, Gurnoor Brar, Devdutt Padikkal, Saransh Jain, Auqib Nabi.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *