|

US drops Reflecting Pool vandalism case after admi…

US prosecutors have dropped vandalism charges against former Olympic canoeist David Hearn after concluding that damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was caused by construction problems rather than deliberate acts. The decision marks a major reversal by the Trump administration, which had earlier blamed the damage on vandals and publicly accused several people of harming the landmark.

Court documents filed on Friday stated that newly reviewed evidence showed the damage was most likely caused by a rushed and poorly executed installation carried out by contractors working on the renovation project. Prosecutors said the work was completed under pressure to finish before celebrations marking the United States’ 250th Independence anniversary. They also acknowledged they were not initially given complete information by the Department of the Interior about the condition of the pool.

Hearn had been arrested last month after authorities accused him of damaging the pool by pulling away part of its newly applied blue coating. He had consistently denied the allegation, saying he only touched the surface while stopping near the memorial after a bicycle ride. If convicted, he could have faced up to ten years in prison.

Following the dismissal of the case, Hearn’s lawyers criticised the government’s handling of the investigation. They said the charges should never have been filed and argued that their client had been wrongly accused despite having done nothing illegal. They also called on the administration to apologise for what they described as an abuse of government authority. Hearn declined to say whether he would pursue legal action over the case.

The Reflecting Pool underwent a major restoration project earlier this year as part of President Donald Trump’s campaign to improve the appearance of Washington ahead of the national anniversary celebrations. The renovation included resealing and repainting the pool at a reported cost of around 16 million dollars. However, problems appeared soon after the work was completed as algae returned and sections of the new coating began peeling away.

According to court records, Hearn was not the only person accused. At least three others were charged with vandalism and several more received citations after interacting with the pool. It is not yet clear whether all of those cases have also been dismissed.

The court filing placed responsibility on the contractor and criticised officials from the Department of the Interior for failing to provide prosecutors with important information during the early stages of the investigation. Prosecutors said they were only made aware of the installation problems after reviewing additional documents. They acknowledged that if the department had shared the full details from the beginning, the case would never have been presented to a grand jury.

The renovation project itself has also drawn scrutiny. Reports indicate the original budget was expected to be under two million dollars before costs rose significantly. The contract was reportedly awarded without the usual competitive bidding process, adding to criticism over how the project was managed.

President Trump had previously described the damage as the work of “sick” and “deranged” vandals, claiming someone had cut a long gash into the surface of the pool. Prosecutors also initially argued that Hearn had intentionally damaged the memorial. Friday’s court filing directly contradicted those earlier claims, stating that the evidence now points to construction failures rather than criminal vandalism.

The Reflecting Pool has since been drained for the second time in three months as repair work continues. The incident has raised fresh questions about oversight of the expensive renovation project and the government’s decision to pursue criminal charges before fully establishing the cause of the damage.

Similar Posts

  • |

    Britain faces potential food shortages as prolonged drought impacts agricultural harvest

    The National Farmers’ Union (NFU) has warned that the United Kingdom could face shortages of certain food products as prolonged drought conditions and heatwaves continue across England. Following severe winter flooding that disrupted planting, many agricultural businesses are now facing water abstraction restrictions during the third drought in five years. NFU President Tom Bradshaw called on the UK government to prioritise domestic food production and offer tax relief to enable farmers to invest in water storage systems. Record-breaking heat and dry soil have pushed cereal crops, including wheat, to half their normal height, driving the earliest harvest recorded since data collection began in 2006. According to the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), cereal yields across southern and eastern England are below the 10-year average, exacerbating financial strains on farming businesses following years of rising costs and diminished EU-derived subsidies. In response to sustained temperatures above 30°C, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) issued amber and yellow heat health alerts across several regions, advising social care providers and the public to take precautions for vulnerable populations. Meanwhile, industry representatives from the Country, Land and Business Association urged the government to fund long-term infrastructure and wildfire prevention to protect the future of British agriculture.

  • | |

    ‘I never said Rawalakot people aren’t …

    SIALKOT: Defence Minister Khawaja Asif has rejected claims that he questioned the Kashmiri identity of the people of Rawalakot, saying his remarks had been misunderstood and reaffirming Pakistan’s support for the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Addressing a public gathering in Sialkot on Friday, the senior Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader said he had “never said that the people of Rawalakot are not Kashmiris.” He stressed that Pakistan’s bond with Kashmir remains unwavering and added that pro-Pakistan slogans continue to be raised in Indian-administered Kashmir. Khawaja Asif also pledged that the government would not allow the abolition of refugee-reserved seats, describing Kashmiri refugees as the rightful stakeholders whose political representation must be protected. “The refugee seats will not be abolished. Kashmiri refugees are the true heirs of these constituencies,” he told supporters, adding that the government remained committed to safeguarding their constitutional and political rights. The defence minister also criticized the Action Committee operating in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, accusing it of encouraging unrest despite the government having previously accepted many of its demands. He claimed that financial assistance amounting to Rs24-25 billion had already been provided to address public concerns. Without presenting evidence, Asif further alleged that some members of the committee were “suspicious” and receiving foreign funding, asserting that their activities were creating unnecessary instability instead of contributing to constructive dialogue. Turning to politics, the PML-N leader expressed confidence that his party would form the next government in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, saying the party remained committed to development, stability and public welfare in the region. His remarks come amid heightened political debate over Kashmir-related issues and governance in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, where political parties continue to campaign on questions of representation, development and regional stability ahead of future electoral contests.

  • |

    Kendall Jenner enjoys Chris Stapleton concert with Jacob Elordi

    Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi have once again sparked romance speculation after enjoying a cozy date night at Chris Stapleton’s All-American Road Show concert on July 24 at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Washington. The rumored couple was spotted watching the performance from a side-stage VIP area, where they appeared relaxed and comfortable in each other’s company. Kendall, founder of 818 Tequila, was seen sipping a drink while enjoying the music, while Elordi, dressed casually in a white T-shirt and a baseball cap, leaned in to chat with her throughout the evening. Their appearance quickly caught the attention of fellow concertgoers, with several fans sharing videos on social media. One widely circulated TikTok clip captured the excitement of attendees after realizing the pair were standing nearby, further fueling online discussion about their relationship. The concert outing is the latest in a string of public appearances that have kept romance rumors surrounding the two celebrities alive throughout the summer. Speculation about Kendall and Jacob’s relationship first intensified after they were seen spending time together during this year’s Coachella Music and Arts Festival in April. Since then, the pair have reportedly been spotted enjoying several trips together, including vacations in Hawaii, dining outings in Tokyo, and travels to Elordi’s native Australia. Although neither Kendall nor Jacob has publicly confirmed they are dating, their frequent appearances together have continued to attract attention. Photos and videos of the pair have regularly surfaced online, with fans closely following their rumored romance. Before their latest concert date, Kendall and Jacob were also seen spending time with Kylie Jenner and actor Timothée Chalamet during a double date in Los Angeles, adding more fuel to ongoing speculation about their relationship. Interestingly, Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi have known each other for several years. The Saltburn actor attended Jenner’s birthday celebration in 2022, though the two were not romantically linked at the time. Romance rumors only began circulating in early 2026 after the pair were spotted chatting at the Vanity Fair Oscar Party in March. Their appearance together at Coachella the following month further intensified speculation that they had grown closer. Around the same time, reports suggested that the pair had been spending time together privately and were getting to know one another over the previous few months. Since then, they have continued to appear together on multiple occasions, though they have chosen not to address the rumors publicly. Both Jenner and Elordi have previously spoken about the challenges that come with maintaining relationships while living in the spotlight. They have each expressed a preference for keeping their personal lives private despite constant public interest and media attention. For now, the pair remain silent about the true nature of their relationship. However, with each new public outing, fans continue to speculate that the model and the Australian actor may be one of Hollywood’s newest celebrity couples. Whether or not they decide to confirm their romance, their latest concert date has only added to the growing buzz surrounding them.

  • | | | | |

    Trump drops major statement on Iran: what China an…

    Washington: U.S. President Donald Trump has said he does not believe that China or Russia are supplying weapons to Iran, citing assurances he received from the leaders of both countries. Speaking to reporters, Trump said Chinese President Xi Jinping had assured him that Beijing would not provide weapons to Iran under any circumstances. According to Trump, the Chinese leader also stated that the policy applies to Chinese companies, preventing them from supplying arms to Tehran. Trump said he trusts President Xi’s commitment in the context of U.S.-China relations and believes China is adhering to that position. The U.S. president also said Russian President Vladimir Putin had informed him that Moscow would not sell weapons to Iran. Trump’s remarks come amid continued international attention on Iran’s military capabilities and regional security. However, he did not provide additional details or evidence to support the statements, nor did he elaborate on whether the assurances were part of recent diplomatic discussions. The comments reflect Washington’s ongoing focus on limiting the transfer of advanced military equipment to Iran as regional tensions and global security concerns continue to evolve.

  • |

    Uganda football captain David Owere killed in robbery attack

    KAMPALA: Uganda’s football world has been plunged into mourning after national team captain David Owere died following a brutal attack during an alleged robbery near his home in Kampala. The 27-year-old footballer was reportedly confronted by suspected robbers in the Makindye area while they attempted to steal his mobile phone and other valuables. Police said Owere resisted the attackers, triggering a violent assault that left the young captain critically injured. Witnesses said the attackers allegedly pelted Owere with stones before fleeing the scene. He was found unconscious and was quickly taken to a nearby clinic for treatment. As his condition remained serious, Owere was later transferred to a private hospital. Despite receiving medical care, the footballer succumbed to his injuries, bringing a sudden and tragic end to the life of one of Uganda’s emerging football leaders. His death has shocked supporters and the football community across the country. Owere was a key figure for both the Uganda national team and SC Villa, one of Uganda’s most successful clubs. His versatility allowed him to play as a right-back as well as in midfield, while his leadership qualities earned him the captain’s armband. SC Villa paid an emotional tribute to their captain, saying the club had lost far more than a footballer. The Uganda Football Federation also mourned Owere, describing him as an exemplary leader who made an impact both on and off the pitch. The federation highlighted his influence on younger players and his role as an inspirational figure within Ugandan football. The circumstances of his death have raised concerns about violent crime in Kampala, with the alleged attack occurring close to the player’s home. Police are expected to investigate the incident and pursue those responsible for the attack. For Uganda’s football fans, Owere’s death is a devastating loss. At only 27, he had already established himself as a respected captain and leader, leaving behind teammates, supporters and a football community struggling to come to terms with his sudden death.

  • Passengers to/from Thailand Urged to Check Flights as Middle East Airspace Closed

    As of March 1, 2026, several Middle Eastern countries have closed or restricted their airspace due to escalating military tensions between Israel and Iran. This has led to widespread flight cancellations and rerouting for international routes between Europe, Asia, and Thailand. Thai PM Anutin Orders Evacuation Flights for Thais in Mideast Current Airspace Status Fully […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *