|

US drops Reflecting Pool vandalism case after admi…

US prosecutors have dropped vandalism charges against former Olympic canoeist David Hearn after concluding that damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool was caused by construction problems rather than deliberate acts. The decision marks a major reversal by the Trump administration, which had earlier blamed the damage on vandals and publicly accused several people of harming the landmark.

Court documents filed on Friday stated that newly reviewed evidence showed the damage was most likely caused by a rushed and poorly executed installation carried out by contractors working on the renovation project. Prosecutors said the work was completed under pressure to finish before celebrations marking the United States’ 250th Independence anniversary. They also acknowledged they were not initially given complete information by the Department of the Interior about the condition of the pool.

Hearn had been arrested last month after authorities accused him of damaging the pool by pulling away part of its newly applied blue coating. He had consistently denied the allegation, saying he only touched the surface while stopping near the memorial after a bicycle ride. If convicted, he could have faced up to ten years in prison.

Following the dismissal of the case, Hearn’s lawyers criticised the government’s handling of the investigation. They said the charges should never have been filed and argued that their client had been wrongly accused despite having done nothing illegal. They also called on the administration to apologise for what they described as an abuse of government authority. Hearn declined to say whether he would pursue legal action over the case.

The Reflecting Pool underwent a major restoration project earlier this year as part of President Donald Trump’s campaign to improve the appearance of Washington ahead of the national anniversary celebrations. The renovation included resealing and repainting the pool at a reported cost of around 16 million dollars. However, problems appeared soon after the work was completed as algae returned and sections of the new coating began peeling away.

According to court records, Hearn was not the only person accused. At least three others were charged with vandalism and several more received citations after interacting with the pool. It is not yet clear whether all of those cases have also been dismissed.

The court filing placed responsibility on the contractor and criticised officials from the Department of the Interior for failing to provide prosecutors with important information during the early stages of the investigation. Prosecutors said they were only made aware of the installation problems after reviewing additional documents. They acknowledged that if the department had shared the full details from the beginning, the case would never have been presented to a grand jury.

The renovation project itself has also drawn scrutiny. Reports indicate the original budget was expected to be under two million dollars before costs rose significantly. The contract was reportedly awarded without the usual competitive bidding process, adding to criticism over how the project was managed.

President Trump had previously described the damage as the work of “sick” and “deranged” vandals, claiming someone had cut a long gash into the surface of the pool. Prosecutors also initially argued that Hearn had intentionally damaged the memorial. Friday’s court filing directly contradicted those earlier claims, stating that the evidence now points to construction failures rather than criminal vandalism.

The Reflecting Pool has since been drained for the second time in three months as repair work continues. The incident has raised fresh questions about oversight of the expensive renovation project and the government’s decision to pursue criminal charges before fully establishing the cause of the damage.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Jonathan Bailey shares his down-to-earth beauty ro…

    Jonathan Bailey may be one of Hollywood’s biggest stars, but his approach to grooming is surprisingly simple. The Bridgerton actor has revealed that he does not rely on an elaborate skincare routine to maintain his appearance. The 38-year-old British actor, who was named PEOPLE’s Sexiest Man Alive in 2025, recently discussed his approach to self-care while promoting Giorgio Armani’s new men’s fragrance, I Will. Rather than listing a long collection of beauty products, Bailey highlighted a few everyday habits that help him feel his best. For the actor, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep and protecting his skin with SPF are key parts of his routine. He has also spoken about spending time outdoors and walking whenever possible, describing it as an important form of wellbeing. (People.com⁠) Keeping skincare simple Bailey’s routine reflects his relaxed attitude toward grooming. Instead of suggesting that looking after your skin requires countless products, he focuses on basic habits that fit naturally into his lifestyle. Sleep and hydration are particularly important to his daily routine. He has also emphasized the importance of SPF, making sun protection one of the straightforward steps he does not overlook. His approach comes as skincare has become an increasingly important part of modern grooming. Experts generally recommend keeping routines practical and consistent rather than overwhelming the skin with unnecessary products. (GQ⁠) His dog Benson is part of the routine Bailey’s idea of self-care extends beyond skincare. He also enjoys spending time outside with his aging cockapoo, Benson. Walking has become one of his favorite ways to create space during a busy day. In a recent interview, Bailey explained that he will sometimes leave earlier simply so he can walk to a meeting. He sees that time outdoors as an opportunity to slow down and reflect. The actor has also mentioned drinking plenty of water and even enjoying cold-water swimming as part of his wellbeing habits. (Esquire⁠) A busy year ahead While Bailey has kept 2026 relatively selective, his career remains busy. Following his success in Wicked: For Good and Jurassic World: Rebirth, he has several major projects lined up. He is set to appear in the upcoming films Monsanto and Pumping Black. He is also preparing to return to the West End stage in a revival of Sunday in the Park with George in 2027. (GQ⁠) For Bailey, however, looking after himself does not seem to require an overly complicated formula. Good sleep, plenty of water, time outdoors and daily sun protection remain at the heart of his refreshingly down-to-earth approach.

  • Thailand’s 60-Day Visa-Free Stay Is Ending: What Tourists and Long-Stay Expats Need to Know

    CHIANG MAI – Thailand’s two-year experiment with 60-day visa-free entry is coming to an end. On 19 May 2026, the Cabinet approved cancelling the 60-day exemption scheme that has covered visitors from 93 countries and territories since July 2024, reverting most nationalities to a 30-day stay. But here is the part that matters for anyone […]

  • | |

    Sanam Saeed backs Durefishan amid accent criticism

    KARACHI: Actor Sanam Saeed has spoken out in support of Durefishan Saleem after the latter faced criticism on social media over her accent and dialogue delivery in the drama Dar-e-Nijaat. The debate began after a scene featuring Durefishan, who plays Zaryab, gained attention online. In the scene, her character speaks to Zamil, played by Nameer Nawaz Khan, using a combination of Urdu and English. Some social media users criticised the actor’s accent and delivery, while others questioned the way certain lines were written and performed. Saeed criticised what she described as excessive online backlash against actors. She said repeatedly targeting a performer over the way they speak could be hurtful and unnecessary. Her comments prompted further discussion among viewers, with many users agreeing that actors should not be subjected to personal attacks over performance-related issues. Several viewers defended Durefishan and said her accent did not negatively affect the scene. They argued that criticism should focus on the overall performance rather than becoming a personal attack. However, some users maintained that dialogue delivery is an important part of acting. They argued that an actor’s accent and pronunciation can influence how effectively a script reaches the audience. Others said their criticism was directed at the writing and execution of the scene rather than Durefishan personally. They described such feedback as part of normal discussion surrounding television performances. The online debate has once again highlighted the growing influence of social media on television dramas. Performances, dialogue and even actors’ accents can quickly become topics of public discussion after scenes are shared online. Saeed’s comments have also sparked a broader conversation about the difference between constructive criticism and personal attacks on performers. Durefishan has established herself as a prominent name in Pakistan’s television industry. She gained widespread recognition through Ishq Murshid, where she appeared opposite Bilal Abbas Khan

  • | |

    Fake govt representative arrested in Lahore, NCCIA…

    LAHORE: The National Cyber Crime Investigation Agency (NCCIA) Lahore has arrested a man accused of impersonating government institutions and senior officials to influence officers and collect money through fraudulent promises. The suspect, identified as Faiz Ali Syed, was arrested on the special directions of NCCIA Punjab Director Muhammad Ali Wasim. Investigators said the suspect allegedly used fake identities and documents to approach officials and private individuals, claiming he could arrange government-related work and facilitate appointments in public departments in exchange for money. According to FIR No. 171/2026, Syed allegedly contacted officers through multiple WhatsApp numbers while presenting himself as a representative of prominent government institutions. Investigators also found that he used a fake green registration plate on a private vehicle to create an impression of official authority. A man dressed in a police uniform was also allegedly kept with him to reinforce the appearance of influence and official status. Three mobile phones were recovered from the suspect. Their preliminary examination reportedly uncovered WhatsApp conversations, official-looking correspondence and evidence of financial transactions linked to the alleged fraud. One of the WhatsApp accounts was reportedly labelled “Apex Court,” while conversations showed the suspect allegedly portraying himself as a member of an important state institution. Investigators also recovered several letters issued in the suspect’s name that contained claims regarding appointments to senior government positions. Further analysis of the mobile devices revealed communications suggesting that money was allegedly collected from individuals on the promise of getting their work done or securing favours through government departments. The NCCIA is investigating the case from several angles, including electronic fraud, forgery, impersonation of government institutions and financial deception. A detailed forensic examination of the recovered phones and other evidence is continuing, with investigators expecting further revelations as the probe progresses.

  • | |

    Adam Scott reveals awkward moment from daughter’…

    Adam Scott has revealed an awkward but hilarious moment involving his daughter and one of his most memorable career setbacks. The Severance star recently appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, where he opened up about his daughter Francesca “Frankie” Scott’s experience in a New York acting program. What began as an ordinary acting lesson quickly became uncomfortable when Scott discovered that his own failed audition for The Office had become part of the class discussion. Scott explained that Frankie, who is preparing to enter her senior year of high school, was attending an acting program in New York during the summer. On the first day of one of her classes, the teacher decided to show the students two audition tapes. The first was Scott’s audition for The Office. The second belonged to John Krasinski, who ultimately won the role of Jim Halpert. The teacher then asked the students to analyze both performances and discuss why Krasinski got the part while Scott did not. According to Scott, the instructor had no idea that one of his students was actually the actor’s daughter. For Frankie, the lesson was understandably embarrassing. Scott recalled that his daughter was “mortified” by the situation. The awkwardness became even greater after class, when the teacher stopped Frankie and asked whether she knew either of the actors whose auditions had been shown. The instructor eventually connected the dots after realizing Frankie’s last name and discovering that she was Scott’s daughter. Scott said the teacher felt terrible once he understood what had happened. Despite the uncomfortable experience for his daughter, Scott found the entire situation amusing. Rather than being offended by the criticism, he joked that he was simply happy to know that he was being used as a lesson in a prestigious acting class. The irony is that Scott’s The Office audition did not prevent him from building a successful television career. Although Krasinski became synonymous with Jim Halpert, Scott later landed the beloved role of Ben Wyatt on Parks and Recreation. He went on to appear in projects including Big Little Lies, The Good Place and Severance. Scott is currently filming the third season of Severance in New York, making the timing of his daughter’s acting experience even more fitting. What could have been an embarrassing family moment ultimately became a funny reminder that even successful actors experience rejection. For Scott, his old audition may not have won him the role of Jim Halpert, but it has certainly found a new purpose as an unexpected teaching moment for the next generation of performers.

  • | |

    Nicki Minaj rejects claims in hotel bill dispute

    Nicki Minaj has responded through her legal team after a business dispute with production company 24/7 Productions intensified in court. The rapper’s lawyers have strongly rejected claims made by the company, arguing that the lawsuit unfairly targets her personally and attempts to damage her reputation instead of focusing on the contractual issues at the centre of the case. The latest development comes after 24/7 Productions described Minaj as a “spoiled and entitled” rap star in court filings related to an ongoing payment dispute. Her lawyers argue that such language has no relevance to the legal issues and was included solely to create a negative public image of the Grammy-nominated artist. According to Minaj’s legal team, the remarks were designed to distract attention from the actual contractual disagreement. The dispute centres on production work carried out during Minaj’s Jingle Ball performances and the Pink Friday 2 launch events held in New York in 2023. 24/7 Productions claims it covered a wide range of event-related expenses, including hotel accommodation, staffing, security services and production costs. The company alleges that it has not yet received full payment for those services and has therefore taken legal action to recover the outstanding amount. Minaj’s lawyers, however, dispute those claims and insist that the hotel accommodation and related expenses were already included in the agreed budget for an artist of her stature. They argue that such costs should not be portrayed as unusual or excessive. Her legal team also contends that the production company is attempting to sensationalise the case by focusing on her celebrity lifestyle rather than the actual business agreement between the parties. Another key argument presented by Minaj’s lawyers concerns the identity of the contracting party. They maintain that the agreement was entered into with Pink Friday Productions LLC, not with Nicki Minaj in her personal capacity. As a result, they argue that the rapper herself should not be held personally responsible for any financial obligations arising from the company’s agreements. The legal team has also insisted that the disputed payments have already been made, directly challenging the production company’s allegations that it remains unpaid. The case is scheduled to return to court on August 3, when a judge will consider Minaj’s request to have her name removed from the lawsuit. The hearing is expected to focus on whether the claims should proceed against the artist personally or remain directed at Pink Friday Productions LLC instead. For now, both sides remain firmly committed to their opposing positions. While 24/7 Productions continues to pursue payment through the courts, Nicki Minaj’s legal representatives insist that the company has mischaracterised both the facts of the dispute and the rapper’s role in the contractual arrangement. The outcome of the upcoming court hearing will likely determine how the case proceeds in the months ahead.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *