personnel killed ajk
| |

26 personnel killed: AJK police blame JAAC

Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK) Police have accused the proscribed Joint Awami Action Committee (JAAC) of deliberately targeting law enforcement agencies during recent unrest in the region.

AJK Police spokesperson and Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Riaz Mughal made the allegations during a press conference on Wednesday.

He said 26 police and other law enforcement personnel had been killed in incidents of unrest across AJK during 2026. He claimed that another 157 personnel had suffered serious injuries, while 629 others sustained minor injuries.

Mughal did not provide details of each incident linked to the reported casualties.

He questioned how the JAAC protests could be described as peaceful if law enforcement personnel were being killed and injured.

The police spokesperson said state institutions did not target people without reason. He claimed that security personnel took action against individuals who attacked law enforcement agencies.

His comments came after clashes between protesters and security personnel in Rawalakot and Mirpur earlier this week. The incidents reportedly resulted in several casualties.

The JAAC has been protesting for several weeks over various public demands. One of its key demands is the abolition of 12 seats in the AJK Legislative Assembly reserved for refugees from Indian-administered Kashmir.

Mughal alleged that protesters had attacked police and Rangers personnel during the unrest. He also claimed that some people had been held captive and that their identity documents had been taken.

The SSP urged people to visit AJK and observe the situation independently. He said the nature of the protests and the activities of those participating should be assessed impartially.

Mughal further alleged that some protesters were equipped with firearms and claimed that police and other law enforcement personnel had been targeted by snipers.

During the briefing, police officials displayed weapons they said had been recovered during operations against protesters. Mughal claimed the weapons had been used against law enforcement personnel.

He also referred to previous clashes involving the JAAC.

According to Mughal, a confrontation on May 11, 2024, occurred when police attempted to stop protesters travelling towards Muzaffarabad. He said one police officer was killed and around 60 personnel suffered serious injuries. He added that 174 other policemen sustained minor injuries.

The SSP also cited unrest in October 2025. He claimed that three police officers were killed, 52 personnel suffered serious injuries and another 357 were injured in the incidents.

Mughal described the protesters involved in violent incidents as anti-state elements. He alleged that some were involved in activities that amounted to terrorism.

He further claimed that around 70 per cent of the protesters were criminals, including alleged drug dealers who had joined the protests under the JAAC banner. The allegations were made by the police official and were not independently verified.

The police spokesperson’s remarks came amid heightened tensions in AJK following several days of protests and clashes.

The government has also alleged that militant elements linked to a foreign agenda and allegedly backed by Indian funding were attempting to fuel unrest in the region.

Similar Posts

  • | |

    Riyadh sofa factory fire kills 16 Bangladeshi work…

    RIYADH: At least 16 Bangladeshi migrant workers have died after a fire swept through a sofa manufacturing factory in Saudi Arabia’s capital, Riyadh, in a tragedy that has prompted urgent efforts to bring the victims’ remains home. The fire broke out on Sunday at a furniture manufacturing facility in the industrial area of Riyadh’s Al Shifa district, according to Bangladesh’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Bangladesh’s embassy in Riyadh is coordinating with Saudi authorities over the incident and arrangements for the repatriation of the victims’ bodies. Officials are also working to identify the deceased and complete the necessary formalities. Bangladesh’s Expatriates’ Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Ariful Haque Choudhury expressed deep sorrow over the deaths and directed officials to speed up the process of returning the bodies to Bangladesh. He also called for assistance and compensation to be provided to the bereaved families, many of whom depend on income earned by relatives working abroad. Saudi Arabia’s Civil Defence confirmed that firefighters had responded to a blaze at an unlicensed furniture-making facility in the capital, although its initial statement did not provide details about the fatalities. The tragedy has once again drawn attention to workplace safety for migrant labourers in the Gulf. Saudi Arabia is home to a large Bangladeshi expatriate community, with reports putting the number at around 3.5 million. For many of these workers, employment in Saudi Arabia provides a vital source of income for families back home. The deaths in Riyadh have therefore sent shockwaves beyond the immediate workplace, leaving families anxiously awaiting the return of their loved ones. Authorities are expected to investigate the cause of the fire and examine safety conditions at the factory. The focus will also be on determining whether violations contributed to the deadly blaze. For Bangladesh, the immediate priority remains bringing the victims home and ensuring their families receive the promised support.

  • | |

    Bodies of Nirmal Purja, three teammates recovered …

    SKARDU: Rescue teams have recovered the bodies of celebrated British-Nepali mountaineer Nirmal Purja and three members of his expedition from Broad Peak after a difficult recovery mission, the Alpine Club of Pakistan (ACP) confirmed. The recovery operation was carried out in extremely challenging weather and terrain. The bodies of Purja, Chinese climber Zhong Wang, and Nepali climbers Nima Sherpa and Kilu Sherpa were successfully brought to Broad Peak Base Camp. The tragic incident occurred on July 30, when an avalanche struck the 10-member international expedition while climbing Broad Peak, one of the world’s highest mountains. Contact with the team was lost immediately after the avalanche. Purja’s company later confirmed that there were no survivors from the expedition. Despite the successful recovery of four bodies, three climbers remain missing. The Alpine Club of Pakistan said search efforts would continue whenever weather and mountain conditions permit. The organization reaffirmed its commitment to locating the remaining climbers so their families can receive closure. Earlier, the bodies of three other expedition members—an American woman, an Omani woman and a Nepali climber—were airlifted from the mountain to Skardu. However, the bodies of two Nepali nationals and one Pakistani climber have yet to be recovered. The deaths have deeply affected the global mountaineering community. Fellow climbers and mountaineering organizations have paid tribute to the victims, describing the loss as a major blow to high-altitude climbing. The Alpine Club of Pakistan said arrangements are being made to return the recovered bodies to their families. The organization expressed hope that the recovery would provide some comfort to the bereaved families and allow the climbers to be laid to rest with dignity.

  • | |

    Tom Holland, Jon Bernthal bring humour to new Spider-Man film

    Tom Holland and Jon Bernthal have revealed how their friendship helped create a more humorous atmosphere while filming Marvel’s upcoming film Spider-Man: Brand New Day. The two actors had previously worked together on Christopher Nolan’s highly anticipated epic The Odyssey. Holland described that experience as remarkable but demanding. After completing work on Nolan’s film, the actors moved on to the new Spider-Man project. Holland said the change in atmosphere was immediate. According to Holland, the pair spent around six weeks working in an improvised and relaxed environment. They frequently joked on set and looked for new ways to add humour to the upcoming movie. Holland said their off-screen relationship also influenced the connection between their characters. He explained that the relationship originally written in the script changed significantly during production. Holland credited Bernthal’s acting and creative input for helping shape the final dynamic. Bernthal also spoke warmly about his long-standing relationship with Holland. The actor said he had known Holland since the British star was 17. The two had even worked together on audition tapes for the Marvel Cinematic Universe before Holland became widely known for playing Spider-Man. Bernthal praised Holland’s development as an actor and said he remained impressed by his personality. He described Holland as kind, hardworking and grounded despite his enormous success in Hollywood. The upcoming film will bring Holland’s Spider-Man together with Bernthal’s Punisher. Their partnership is expected to be one of the major attractions of the new Marvel project. The actors’ comments suggest that their real-life friendship played an important role in developing the chemistry between their characters.

  • | |

    245 technical institutes affiliated by FBISE face …

    Islamabad: Questions have been raised over the affiliation process of hundreds of technical institutes after an audit revealed that 245 technical institutions were affiliated with the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (FBISE) before concerns over legal authority and inspection procedures were fully addressed. The issue came up during the 47th meeting of the Public Accounts Committee, held under the acting chairmanship of Syed Naveed Qamar, where lawmakers reviewed audit objections related to FBISE’s affiliation procedures. According to audit findings, FBISE affiliated 245 technical institutes during 2022 and 2023 and collected Rs. 26.750 million in affiliation fees. The audit questioned the process, stating that the original FBISE Act of 1975 mainly covered intermediate and secondary education and did not clearly mention technical institute affiliations. Officials informed the committee that the matter was reviewed by the Law and Justice Division, which issued a legal opinion on 15 June 2026. The opinion stated that FBISE has legal authority under relevant sections of the FBISE Act 1975 to conduct examinations, provide affiliations and issue certificates for technical education programmes including Matric Tech and Inter Tech programmes at secondary and higher secondary levels. During the discussion, PAC members stressed that clear policies and official notifications should be issued so that all concerned institutions have proper guidance regarding technical education affiliations. The committee questioned whether the legal position and policy framework were clearly communicated before allowing affiliations. Officials were directed to ensure that proper procedures and documentation are completed before moving forward. The audit also highlighted another issue related to the registration process of technical institutes. Audit observations indicated that provisional registrations were issued to technical institutes before physical inspections were completed. The audit noted that registrations were granted without complete details of teaching staff. Officials informed the committee that inspections were being carried out and most institutions had already been reviewed, while only a limited number of uninspected institutions remained pending as of March 2026. Officials also informed the committee about steps being taken to improve technical and modern education in schools. The Federal Directorate of Education has introduced coding, robotics and artificial intelligence programmes to encourage students towards technology fields. Officials said coding fellows were engaged through support from NUST, while additional technology fellows were also working to support IT education. The committee was also informed about the Matric Tech programme, which was introduced to provide practical skills to students who may not continue traditional education after matriculation and want to enter professional careers. Officials said the aim of the programme is to provide students with useful skills that can help them find employment and participate in modern industries. The meeting also discussed the shortage of teaching resources, especially in areas where educational facilities face staff challenges. Officials informed the committee that 1,699 teaching and non teaching fellows, including technology fellows, were engaged to support educational needs. The committee emphasized that technical education is important for preparing young people for future jobs but stressed that proper monitoring, legal clarity and transparent procedures must remain part of the system.

  • | |

    Raja denies authority to remove Mashal from Senate

    Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) leader Salman Akram Raja has said he had no authority to remove Mashal Yousafzai from the Senate. He said he chose to overlook the matter to prevent divisions within the party. Speaking to the media outside the Supreme Court in Islamabad, Raja said Mashal Yousafzai was not acting alone and had a group supporting her. He said the facts would eventually come before everyone. He added that he would not further fuel an issue that had already been given unnecessary attention in the past. Raja also said he did not know who had made Mashal Yousafzai a senator. Speaking to journalists at the Adiala Jail factory checkpoint in Rawalpindi, Raja said that allegations should be backed by evidence. He said false allegations remained false regardless of who made them. He said he had been practising law and continued to do so. He described some of the statements made against him as completely baseless. Raja said such allegations would have to be answered. He added that the party would take action over the matter. Comments on political developments Speaking about the political situation, Raja said September 27 was not a distant date. He said political activity was continuing on a daily basis. He said time passes quickly and described September 27 as an important date. Raja also said that a revolution could not be brought about by a single political party. He said it required the participation of the entire nation. On negotiations with the government, he said there was currently no formal offer from the government. However, Raja said PTI had not rejected negotiations on principle at any level. He described reports of an alliance with the Pakistan Peoples Party as premature. He said two parties could have similar positions on a particular issue without forming an alliance. PTI denies link with terrorism Raja strongly rejected any alleged connection between PTI and terrorism. He said PTI had never had any association with terrorism. Referring to the person killed in Rawalpindi, he said the party did not know which group the man belonged to or what activities he had been involved in. Raja described PTI as a peaceful political party. He said the party opposed terrorism and had never been part of any violent activity. He maintained that PTI was continuing its political struggle within the framework of the Constitution and the law.

  • |

    Cher ordered to pay over $1 million in legal fees

    Cher has been ordered to bear more than $1 million in her own legal expenses despite previously winning a long-running legal battle over music royalties linked to her former husband and musical partner, Sonny Bono. The legal dispute began in October 2021 when the legendary singer and actress filed a lawsuit against Sonny Bono’s widow, Mary Bono. Cher sought to protect her right to receive royalties from songs recorded during the successful Sonny & Cher partnership and claimed she was entitled to damages after her royalty payments were challenged. According to the lawsuit, Cher argued that her 1978 divorce settlement with Sonny Bono guaranteed her a 50% share of the royalties generated by their music catalogue. She alleged that Mary Bono had attempted to terminate those royalty rights under U.S. copyright law, depriving her of income she was legally entitled to receive. The dispute centred on whether Cher’s contractual rights established through the divorce agreement could continue despite copyright termination provisions. Cher maintained that the divorce settlement remained valid and enforceable, while Mary Bono challenged those claims. In May 2024, the court ruled in Cher’s favour on the central issue. The judge found that she was entitled to unpaid royalty payments and awarded her more than $418,000 in damages for royalties that had been withheld. Following that victory, Cher sought to recover the legal costs she had accumulated while pursuing the case. In January 2026, she filed a request asking the court to award her $1,023,605.30 in attorney’s fees. Her legal team argued that the case involved a common set of facts across multiple claims and counterclaims, making it unnecessary to separate the legal costs for each issue individually. They also contended that any work related to Mary Bono’s partially successful counterclaim represented only a minimal portion of the overall litigation. However, the judge rejected Cher’s request for attorney’s fees in a ruling issued on July 17. The court concluded that the case was fundamentally a contract dispute rather than one arising under federal copyright law. Because of that distinction, the judge determined that Cher was not entitled to recover her legal expenses from the opposing side. As a result of the ruling, Cher will have to cover more than $1 million in attorney’s fees herself, despite winning the underlying royalties dispute. Court filings also indicated that approximately $10,000 in additional legal costs was expected to be incurred for her representation. The case marks the latest chapter in a years-long legal battle involving the financial legacy of Sonny & Cher, one of the most influential entertainment duos of the 1960s and 1970s. Cher and Sonny Bono rose to international fame with a string of hit songs before expanding into television with The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, which became one of the era’s most popular variety shows. Following their divorce and the end of their professional partnership, both continued with separate careers. Sonny Bono later entered politics, serving as mayor of Palm Springs before being elected to the U.S. Congress, where he remained until his death in 1998.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *